Start by marking “Big Anthony and the Magic Ring” as Want to Read:
Big Anthony and the Magic Ring

Big Anthony and the Magic Ring (Strega Nona #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  429 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In this sequel to Caldecott Honor winner Strega Nona, “Big Anthony romps through a case of spring fever with an ill-gotten magic ring, against the architectural background and blue skies of la bella Italia.”--Booklist
Published April 25th 1979 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Big Anthony and the Magic Ring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Anthony and the Magic Ring

Ronyell
I have been reading the “Strega Nona” series ever since I was a child and I have enjoyed the series ever since! Now, I have read the sequel to “Strega Nona,” “Big Anthony and the Magic Ring” by Tomie dePaola and it is just as hilarious as the first book! In this tale, Big Anthony gets into big trouble when he messes with Strega Nona's magic ring in order to have a little night life! “Big Anthony and the Magic Ring” is an instant treat for children young and old!

Oh my goodness! I never would have
Dolly
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, italy
We really love Tomie dePaola's books and this is a fun story. Big Anthony gets into trouble (again!) and has a little fun in the meantime. It's a fairly long story, so I would recommend it for Kindergarteners and up. Younger children might lose interest. We enjoy reading about these characters and Mr. dePaola's inimitable illustrations are fun too.
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a fairly entertaining read. I enjoyed seeing what kind of trouble Big Anthony would get himself into and how Strega Nona would save him...once again. I would recommend.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Bailie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about Anthony getting into trouble but having fun in the mean time. He tries his best to find every trouble he can find. Strega Nona once again has to save Anthony. This is a lengthy book so ideal for 3rd grade and up. Little ones will lose interest.
Kelly
Good little story.
Matt Garcia
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful story in the Strega Nona series. Great illustrations as usual. This one is a hoot.
Jackson Matthews
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun fun fun. What will Big Anthony be up to next? Thank you, Leo.
Andrea
Jul 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: author-study
This sequel to "Strega Nona" and "Big Anthony: His Story" continues to portray Big Anthony in a light that beams on his mischievousness, disobedience and curiosity that tangles him up in another episode. It all begins when Strega Nona recommends Big Anthony to partake in the nightlife in order to get him out of his spring slump and perk up his mood. Big Anthony gazes with admiration as Strega Nona is transformed into a beautiful, young woman to enjoy the nightlife in town after putting on a gold ...more
Jaylyn
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Personal Reaction- Big Anthony and the Magic Ring is an interesting book that is a fun story but not much substance. A longer book that would be fun for breaks in the classroom.

Purposes:
This would be for a 1st grade classroom. As I stated before, I believe this would be a fun story to read during breaks in the day, a fun story about magic and a young man and woman. It is in a small town and the young man, Big Anthony, starts to not feel like himself and the story goes from there. The vocabulary
Patricia
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh, Big Anthony! Big Anthony has a big ego! Don't we all, though? Not all that interested in Bambolona, the baker's daughter, he "borrows" Strega Nona's magic gold ring to become more handsome and desirable to the women of the village. Their attention, though, starts to scare him and he needs Strega Nona's help--yet again--to put everything right again. I love how Strega Nona reminds Big Anthony, and us, "There are other kinds of magic in the spring."

Magic rings, love in the spring, and OLIVE OI
QNPoohBear
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
We just loved this series growing up as Strega Nonna reminded us of our Nonnie. I think this one is my most favorite. It remains in circulation in our home library and is now being read to another generation. We had an audio book of some of the stories and I can still hear the woman's voice in my head. I love Big Anthony. He's such a goofball and so um not bright, you just have to love him. The lesson, delivered by the always kind Strega Nonna, is simple and sweet.
Jessalyn Cipriano
"Big Anthony and the Magic Ring" is the tale about Anthony's grandma putting on a magic ring to turn into a young, beautiful woman that goes out dancing in the town at night. Anthony steals the ring and learns he should be more careful about what he wishes for when all of the women in the town are after him since he is so handsome. He learns that he should be happy with himself and learns he can get what he wants as himself.
Maritza Mejia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Big Anthony and the Magic Ring is the sequel to Caldecott Honor winner Strega Nona.
In this tale, Big Anthony gets into trouble when he tries to have a little night life with Strega Nona's magic ring. At the end he learns that he should be happy with himself and promises Strega Nona not to use magic again.
I left an open question to my third grade class today:
Do you think Big Anthony would be able to keep his promise to Strega Nona?
Josiah
Jan 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
This first sequel to the much-loved Strega Nona is sure to please any young reader who enjoyed the complications arising from Big Anthony's failure to follow the rules in the first book, and who are hungry for another adventure in the same vein. Tomie dePaola brings his unique drawings and text, and all we have to do is bring the kids to it.
Benjamin Elliott
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like the first book, Anthony goes and abuses Strega Nona's magic without fully understanding it and causes a big mess, this time just for himself. At the end, Strega Nona is able to fix it, and everything ends up fine. This time, there's an interesting discussion about love and attraction thrown in that raises some interesting questions.
Carol Hardesty
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite "Strega Nona" books. Big Anthony's just this lovable loser who's always getting into trouble. And it's hilarious when - after making himself handsome - all the village women chase after him and call him a "handsome devil". :D Definitely worth a read.
Izlinda
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I read this book while sitting in the public library. First time I ever sat in the children's section in the new public library. It was really nice. :)

As a person in her twenties, I'm not sure how the targeted audience would react, but I found the book greatly amusing.
Kim
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Definitely one of the funnier Strega Nona stories. Big Anthony will never learn. Full of humor and fun.

themes: appearance, magic, ring
Alana
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This one cracks me up! From Doofus to Stud, Big Anthony messes with Strega Nona's magic again!
Jun 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3-5 year-olds
Shelves: picturebooks
Great read! Very funny--although I like this book more than Jacko, mostly because I love Bombalona with the five loaves of bread on her head.
Lisa
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids and parents.
Recommended to Lisa by: A favorite childhood author.
Shelves: kidsbooks
I love this series. You can tell the author/illustrator really loves kids.
Lynne Marie
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I like this because it employed both folktales and more modern emphasized techniques
Polly
Loved this as a child, but we never owned it, so it remained a loved but unseen favourite for many years, until I smartened up and acquired a copy as an adult!
Hazel
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tomie dePaola writes beautiful stories and has amazing pictures to go with them.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
big anthony learns a lesson of asking what you wish for
learning that wishing for something may not give you what you want
Ame
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
charming, classic Tomie dePaola!
Judy
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pic-books
Once again dePaola has given us a fun tale of Strega Nona and Big Anthony. A little fairy tale. A little Italian culture. A little about human frailties.
Rachel
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy the Strega Nona series, this does not disappoint!
Elina Aniston
  • Sleeping Ugly
  • Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • I Hate English!
Tomie dePaola (pronounced Tommy da-POW-la) is best known for his books for children.
He's been published for 40 years and has written and/or illustrated over 200 books, including 26 Fairmount Avenue, Strega Nona, and Meet the Barkers.
Tomie dePaola and his work have been recognized with the Caldecott Honor Award, the Newbery Honor Award and the New Hampshire Governor's Arts Award of Living Treasure.
More about Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Strega Nona

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Enemy Women
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
  • I Know This Much Is True
    $11.73 $2.99
  • Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)
    $10.76 $2.99
  • Before I Let You Go
    $10.00 $2.99
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky
    $13.00 $2.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
  • The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street: A Novel
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand