Start by marking “The Suicidal Peanut” as Want to Read:

The Suicidal Peanut

Life's not easy when your mum's nuts, your uncle is becoming your aunt, and one of your crushes could -- and probably would -- break your face if he found out how you felt about him.

That's Tab's life, though, malevolent gods and all. His text-flirting with Demi, the brother of his best friend, is going nowhere: Demi already has a boyfriend and anyway, who dates their best
Published September 2nd 2015 by Queerteen Press

To ask other readers questions about The Suicidal Peanut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Suicidal Peanut

Start your review of The Suicidal Peanut
☆ Todd
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jocks, boy-babble

Well, that was odd. And fun. And cute. And sweet. And pretty much exactly the flavor of light and fluffy YA story that I was looking for. : )

At 17, shy Uni art student Tab hasn't had a very easy life, but he's doing okay, in spite of the unwanted interference by the various (made up) Gods that continue to hold the things that Tab wants just out of his reach.

Enter the God of Inappropriate and Involuntary Erections.

At 18, hot and sexy Nick, with his shaved head, powerful muscles and slightly
Kaje Harper
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - one of the things I like most about Metzger as an author is his ability to create authentic-feeling young male character voices. He also has the ability to balance humor and emotion, to give characters deep and meaningful backstories, but not wallow in the resulting angst. This one is light, fun, sweet, and occasionally a little sad. It goes onto my favorite-YA list.

Tab, the hero of this story, is a guy you might meet in the art school of your choice. He's sometimes insensitive,
Tess
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-mm

This was an enjoyable, and somewhat quirky, young adult book by a new (to me) author - Matthew Metzger. I found his writing style to be unique and I especially enjoyed how the dialogue and texting seemed really true to the characters (and their ages!).

This is about an art student (Tab) who lives with his uncle and his uncle's partner who is transition from Uncle Julian to Aunt Kate. Tab works part-time at his uncle's boxing studio and is crushing big time on one of the intermediate
Rachel
Sweet and quirky YA tale told with compassion, humor, and heart. Love this author! Highly recommend.
Justin
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this story (view spoiler). It was funny and not bogged down in angst. There's a conflict but it's not all consuming. At least it wasn't for me.

The writing was good but the thoughts within thoughts was sometimes exhausting. The Brit-speak was easy to follow and I think I only paused once to work out what the phrase meant.

There was no sexy times (unless you count (view spoiler)
Teal
**2.5 stars** Rounding up instead of down because it's fairly well-written and sure to appeal to some people -- people who aren't me. I found the voice too over-the-top to ring true. There was too much repetition, especially of Tab's (irrational) assumptions about Nick. The female friend was obnoxious and intrusive beyond belief. (And those were her good qualities.) But while it didn't hit the spot for me, I didn't hate it either. And I love the title.
Claire Potterton
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Funny, fun, sweet, full of totally in your face characters, a tiny bit predictable, but a really good, enjoyable read!
Ulysses Dietz
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By Matthew J. Metzger
Queerteen Press, 2015
ISBN: 9781611528091
Cover by Written Ink Designs
Five stars

Smart. Funny. Well-written. Thought-provoking. Touching.

Tab is 17. He’s survived high school in fairly good shape, but for his mother’s downward spiral into madness, which has left him living with his gay Uncle Eddie and Eddie’s trans partner JuliKate. Eddie and his makeshift family live over the store, which in this case is a boxing gymnasium and training center somewhere in an
Mike Oaks
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Packed with Peanuts

I loved this story. Poor Tab really need I break. I was so invested in his life. I think you’ll love him too. Give it a go and let the feels wash over you. 4.5 for Gods.
F.
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn by the title and thought why not. A great story, little sex and angst but just young adults making their way in the world. Tab is living with his Uncle Eddie and Eddie's partner Julikate ( a transsexual undergoing treatment). Eddie owns a boxing studio and Tab helps out after college. Tab has a crush on one of the young boxers but is also falling ( through text messages) for Demi the brother of his best friend. What is a boy to do? Does he ask Nic the young boxer and risk his teeth ...more
Lotta
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a cute story of an awkward art student (Tab) and his two crushes: Demi, the brother of a friend (funny banter over text, similar interests, though they've never met) and Nick, a boxer at the gym where Tab works (hot, seriously hot, often wearing only gloves and boxer's shorts, probably very straight). How to choose? Also, he must submit a portrait. Will he dare ask Nick to be his subject? There were some nice layers in this story, although Tab was almost painfully awkward. Includes a ...more
Lena Grey
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Never assume the obvious is true.” ~ William Safire

Tab's life is complicated. He never knew his father. His mother is a free spirit who has completely lost touch with reality and is in a hospital, most likely for life. He lives with his Uncle Eddie who is gay and JuliKate, who used to be Uncle Julius but is now transitioning to Aunt Kate. Tab works at Eddie's boxing club and has a mad crush on Nick, one of the student boxers. Tab is gay, but has never had a boyfriend. He's convinced that Nick
Chris, the Dalek King
I went on a total Matthew J. Metzger kick earlier this month, and having reread thru most of the books I already owned, I decided to start picking up a few of the ones from his back catalog I've yet to read.

This is kinda on the YA/NA border, but I didn't mind that so much. I title was a bit odd, I must admit, but it actually makes sense after you read the story. And the story itself was very easy to read. The characters were great, and I'll have no problem adding this to my Must-Reread-Metzger
Riina Y.T.
I'm so glad I gave this a chance! SO MUCH FUN!

- I was so so sad when it ended -

Honest, it was one of the most charming and amusing stories I ever read.

Quirky. Unique. Adorable.

Why did it have to end? *insert very very sad face here*

I'm very particular when it comes to humor, my own is very dark and I can laugh about the nasties things, really. There seems only to be a handful of humorous books though I find enjoyable and while The Suicidal Peanut isn't really humorous I guess, maybe, but it
Benjamin Wong
Funny, sometimes sad but overall quirky and fun! Tab was so adorable in all his unsure, geeky, awkward, indecisive and polytheist ways, and Demi was funny, adorable and dorky, and Nick was just so different, in a tough yet somewhat withdrawn way and standing up for Tab the way he did. (view spoiler) ...more
Mercedes
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya

This was actually my first book by this author. I have meant to read on of his books for like a year. So when I saw this new release I decided I had out if off long enough.

As a fan of YA, I enjoyed the lack of "steam" on this one. In fact, camouflaged NA as YA is one of my pet peeves. But this was a great story and the author does a great job with the twist at the end. He played on my assumptions and fooled me entirely.
Sunne
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second book of this author and not my last one.

Matthew J. Metzger writes cute, funny, quirky and actually realistic.
Real life with real problems and hang-ups, these are present in this book but never overshadowing or distracting from the fun. This book was fun to read and felt positive and light without ignoring that life isn't always easy.
The characters act according their age (which also means you should be able to read text messages).
They are sweet, cute and amusing. The story is
Lada
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute and feel-good YA story set in UK. Dunno if it's because of the British setting or the British author, but although the MC's best friend was a girl and his aunt was formerly his uncle, it didn't feel obnoxious and in-your-face. I could do with less teenager infatuation and insecurity, but well, this was a YA story after all, and the happy, positive sentiment of this story was already a plus point over those gloomy and depressing YA books.
Dena
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, sports, ya-na
3.75*

very British! Quirky, sweet, touching. Recommend
Ari
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-mm-lgbt, yayayaya
uh-uh... nope... not feeling it at all

Fritz42
It was enjoyable read. Tab is a young artist in college who had a tough home situation. His mother had been hospitalized when he was a child, and he is currently living with his uncle and his transitioning girlfriend. In exchange for a room while in college, Tab has to work at the reception desk of his uncle's boxing club. It's there he meets Nick, a quiet and seemingly tough young fighter attending classes at the club. Tab's fantasies take off and multiply when he decides to use Nick as his ...more
Michelle
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
**3.5 stars**

Originally, I was going to round this down to a solid three stars, but it is marketed towards a young adult audience and for that, I thought the book did a good job of having a general cheesy romance between some guys.

The "plot twist" was cute and I should have seen it coming, but I really thought that Tab wouldn't have struggled so hard on deciding. Then again, this is something that teenagers would also do so I couldn't fault him.

His friend on the other hand was just ugh. I
Meraxes Targaryen
I'll say something ... there are times when you have all the disponibility to read a book openly and to absorb all that it has. When you are more "in the mood" to read something, well that happened to me with this book, I just find it really sweet, funny and realistic, it was a lovely story :) I think that it was my perfect moment to read it.

4.5 stars !
Cleo
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya-na
Fun queer YA with lots of swearing and awkward moments. I was completely surprised by the big plot twist at the end, although looking back I’m not sure how I missed it.

This is maybe my 3rd YA by this author - I really enjoy how real they feel, although as a 40something American I have no idea how realistic they actually are.
T.T. Kove
kasjo_peja
A nice teen love story with a good dose of humor. I didn't like the overuse of 'God of ...all possible events (Public Appearances/Looking Cool In Front Of Your Crushes/Totally Winging It/ etc.). Plus the plot twist was completely predictable.
Franklin
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, own
2.5
Libby
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, 5-stars
Another awesome Matthew Metzger book. I am never disappointed with his characters and story writing.
Pablito
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Engaging, even if the main character overreacts inanely in the presence of his boxer dreamboy. A good read with a good surprise ending.
Kennie
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
The language is bumpy in a way that this gets unreadable.
The Backlot Gay B...: Matthew J. Metzger, The Suicidal Peanut 2 7 Oct 18, 2016 03:00PM
YA LGBT Books: The Suicidal Peanut - Matthew Metzger 12 74 Sep 11, 2016 11:03PM

• Thrown Off the Ice
  • You Could Make a Life
  • Boy Shattered
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • The 5th Gender (Tinkered Stars)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Four Ever
  • Tallowwood
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Bargaining with the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1.4)
  • Rebound (Pucks & Rainbows, #1)
  • Exit Plans for Teenage Freaks
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Stand In Place
Matthew is an asexual, transgender author from the wet and windy British Isles.

Matt writes LGBT novels, both adult and young adult, and particularly enjoys digging into the weird and wonderful diversity of people all across the sexuality and gender spectrums. When not writing, Matt is usually asleep, or crunching numbers at his day job. Free time is not really a concept here.

He is also owned by an