Start by marking “Subverted: How I Helped the Sexual Revolution Hijack the Women's Movement” as Want to Read:
Subverted: How I Helped the Sexual Revolution Hijack the Women's Movement

Subverted: How I Helped the Sexual Revolution Hijack the Women's Movement

Contraception and abortion were not originally part of the 1960s women’s movement. How did the women’s movement, which fought for equal opportunity for women in education and the workplace, and the sexual revolution, which reduced women to ambitious sex objects, become so united?

In Subverted, Sue Ellen Browder documents for the first time how it all happened, in her own li
Published October 6th 2015 by Ignatius Press (first published September 15th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Subverted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subverted

Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Absolutely fascinating. As a woman, I feel a little ashamed that I know so little about the actual history of the women's movement. I knew some names, knew (and appreciate) some of the rights the early suffragists fought for, but only vaguely understood what happened to the women's movement during the 1960s. I'm Christian, conservative and pro-life and I am extremely uncomfortable with many of the principles the current feminist movement espouses. I had a friend ask me the other day if
Sue Ellen Browder offers a highly compelling argument against mainstream feminism's embrace of abortion and artificial contraception in this book, equal parts memoir and investigative report.

As a reporter for Cosmopolitan magazine in the late sixties and early seventies, Browder wrote in defense of the Sexual Revolution, even though she could see its terrible consequences in the lives of the women around her, and eventually, her own.

Now she's coming forward with the slimy details of how abortio
Jeff Koloze
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: college students, abortion activists, Hollywood producers
Browder’s autobiography is an important addition to the growing field of works documenting pro-life history since the 1960s. Her knowledge of the machinations of famous anti-lifers makes her work compelling reading.
For example, twenty-first century readers need to know that Larry Lader was the rabidly anti-Catholic abortion activist who persuaded Cosmopolitan magazine and American feminists in the late 1960s to regard abortion as a right instead of an abuse of women’s bodies and the killing of
Sally Ewan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
The author writes a very interesting account of her life as an enthusiastic young woman excited to be writing for "Cosmo" magazine, embracing the new morality (or lack of) and making it sound enticing to her readers. She chronicles her own life story while including key events of the feminist movement and abortion rights movement and showing how they affected her thinking.

What is so lovely about this book is that while she's fallen hook-line-and-sinker for the Modern Woman stuff, she knows deep
Joseph Serwach
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Buying copies for my wife and daughters

This amazing book is part memoir, part history and more importantly, the story of how families have changed since the 1960s. A former Cosmo writer explains how two men changed the trajectory of the Women's Movement by tying it to the Sexual Revolution and pro-abortion movement in 1967, making Roe vs. Wade possible just six years later. The author's very personal story seized my attention when she was being interviewed on a radio show and her life story is a
Mb
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Book!!!!

This book was absolutely fantastic and resonated with me on so many levels! I kept saying, "Oh, I love this book!" and felt that way as I read different chapters for different reasons. More than once I felt that the author's words should be plastered on billboards. I had no idea how deeply the abortion movement was founded on lies and how badly a well-intentioned women's movement had been hijacked by ill-intentioned liars. I was also happily surprised that those who were behind
Melissa
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely riveting!!! How misinformed we are about the Sexual revolution and the Women's movement! I also loved Sue's personal story throughout the book. I highly recommend this book!
Samuel Wells
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
An inside look at Cosmopolitan Magazine and the culture that legalized abortion. This is also the love story of two writers and their long married life together, of their many challenges, and of their religious conversion - ultimately to Catholicism. In many ways it is a Catholic apology and may not appeal to those outside of this faith. I found the book refreshing, inspiring and very often insightful.
Sara
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those important books, eye-opening and revelatory. It's also a lot of fun at times, always a bit of a wild ride. Worth the read!
Andy
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
this book was a nice mix of history and memoir. Browder does a superb job of dismanteling the flimsy and shallow abortion mindset that developed in the midst of the women's movement. She explains that the women's movement and the sexual revolution were separate movements that became intertwined by devious and misguided propoganda. Interestingly, she also references official statements from some of the top architects of this murderous, selfish culture who deeply regreted their involvement in push ...more
Rita Belluz
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

Wish I found this book earlier. The documented facts of how the women's
movement caused more harm than good for women.
The participation of men to dictate what is best for women was disturbing. Their eugenic agenda was evil. How easy through Cosmo magazine women were swayed to dump their moral's , ethics and religion. I am so grateful that Americans are waking up and demanding change.

Tiffany Rounds
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speechless

What an amazing book. It reads so easily, but has so much information. I have not went through and read the information she cited, but intend to further investigate the information she provides.
Her prospective broke my heart and made it joyful. The life in this book is relentless.
Dave Brandt
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a very insightful expose on Cosmopolitan's fake news, men manipulating the feminist movement and the underlying philosophical differences between major factions of modern women. But most of all, this was a beautiful, true and inspiring love story. A "Must Read" for anyone wanting to be truly culturally informed.
Mandy Knapp
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
It's a bit of an odd book, part memoir, part sociology, part philosophy, part spiritual memoir. I liked it, but I can't quite classify it at this moment, and I wonder if it wouldn't have been a bit better if it tried to do a bit less.
Quentin
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Natalie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an extremely interesting and informative look at the Women's Movement of the '60s and '70s from the perspective of journalist & long-time Cosmo writer Sue Browder. A convert to Catholicism from, well, extreme non-Catholicism, Browder paints a picture of what "feminism" could ideally mean. Intriguing enough to read in a day.

Favorite quotes:
"The Catholic Church was the last place on earth I would have thought to look for [truth and freedom]. It was the last place I DID look." (Browder
Jenna
Dec 03, 2018 added it
I don't share the politics of the author (I'm on the fence about abortion, but think contraceptives and sex out of marriage is fine), but was interested in reading regardless, and I enjoyed it! Browder is clearly a great journalist, and a great memoirist for that matter. I do try and branch out of my sociopolitical comfort zone to see other points of view, and this one is certainly well-written and enjoyable despite my differing opinions.
Anna
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating insight into the women's movement and how it changed from a pro-woman, pro-family organization that was genuinely invested in helping women in the workforce to an anti-family, anti-child movement that focused on the disposable romance.

So sad to see how much it hurt the author and so many women like her.
Katie Donahue
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all who have thoughts and ideas about the women's movement in this country. I found my heart breaking, jaw dropping, and head shaking in disbelief several times as Sue Ellen tells her story.
Lannie Milillo
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vital to all and Fascinating as well!

Everyone needs to read this book. Not only does it contain vital information, it is a most enjoyable read. I couldn't put it down and I am constantly telling people about it.
Melanie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author was a writer at Cosmo magazine and talks about how the feminist movement isn't what it was intended to be, and how a lot of the writing in Cosmo magazine was strategically written to advance that agenda.
Mary Kay Johnson
Great insight!

This book helped me to understand the truth behind the women's movement and how abortion was integrated in it.
Very good read!
Jill
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well researched book on the influence of the sexual revolution on the wome's movement and how the women's movement radically changed from the original suffragette movement.
Judy Gacek
Mar 13, 2017 added it
Shelves: 2017
What a shame that such a good writer betrayed the ethics of investigative journalism from the moment she graduated until late in life. While she calls what she wrote propaganda I call it outright lies. The writer went from being a Cosmo girl to a Catholic. I had to wonder a bit if she had found a new subject to write propaganda about.

The story of the alliance between abortion activists and the women's movement is very interesting and sheds light on what went on behind the scenes. I would not ha
J
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Part memoir, part conversion story, part expose on the intentional intertwining of the Women's Movement and the Sexual Revolution in the 60s & 70s.

Highly recommended for women of my age or younger. I learned a lot about the history behind modern feminism; where it connects with the Catholic idea of personhood and where it doesn't.
Kara
Sep 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Mothers Ordeal: One Womans Fight Against Chinas One-Child Policy
  • Extreme Makeover: Women Transformed by Christ, Not Conformed to the Culture
  • The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord
  • The Hand of God: A Journey from Death to Life by the Abortion Doctor Who Changed His Mind
  • The Man Who Moved a Mountain
  • Adam and Eve After the Pill: Paradoxes of the Sexual Revolution
  • No Turning Back: A Witness to Mercy
  • Waiting for the Apocalypse: A Memoir of Faith and Family
  • Because I Said So: 33 Mothers Write About Children, Sex, Men, Aging, Faith, Race, and Themselves
  • Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compasionate Conservatism Who Gives, Who Doesn't, and Why It Matters
  • Making Gay Okay: How Rationalizing Homosexual Behavior Is Changing Everything
  • Single, Gay, Christian: A Personal Journey of Faith and Sexual Identity
  • The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning
  • A Travel Guide to Life
  • In Spite of Everything: A Memoir
  • Everybody Needs To Forgive Somebody
  • What Catholics Really Believe--Setting the Record Straight: 52 Answers to Common Misconceptions About the Catholic Faith
  • Wear and Tear: The Threads of My Life
“I felt sorry for this little man with the big name as he strutted his stuff, feeding hungrily off the adoration he saw in others’ eyes. For all his funniness, he seemed to me very sad.” 0 likes