Start by marking “Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense” as Want to Read:
Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense

Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense

A breakthrough book. Wonderfully applicable to everything in life, and funny as hell.’ Nassim Nicholas Taleb

To be brilliant, you have to be irrational

Why is Red Bull so popular – even though everyone hates the taste? Why do countdown boards on platforms take away the pain of train delays? And why do we prefer stripy toothpaste?

We think we are rational creatures. Economics
Published May 9th 2019 by WH Allen (first published 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Alchemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alchemy

Start your review of Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense
K.J. Charles
The premise of this book by an ad man is that sometimes you have to use non-obvious or seemingly irrational ways to sell things to people because we don't all behave with strict rationality. ('Ideas' in the title refers almost exclusively to making and selling products, and occasionally to selling behaviour changes.) This is potentially very interesting and does have some very good insights about framing choices and changing minds, if you sift through the chaff.

Unfortunately there is a lot of c
Phil Deutsch
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
A whirlwind of hot air

Rory Sutherland really wants you to know how smart he is. Not only that, but he also wants you to know how stupid everyone else is. Consultants, accountants, economists, stock market analysts: all idiots. According to Mr. Sutherland, only creative people like him who don't succumb to blindly following reason, logic and science will be successful.

The book reminds me of that friend who keeps bragging about their fantastic stock market picks - always neglecting to mention when
Peter (Pete) Mcloughlin
A well written and witty book that explores the utility of the less rational side of Human nature. The author drives home the point on the limits of living a life out of a logic textbook or any one method of decision making. Life is messy most of the decisions often require not using rationality but heuristics, satisficing, the subconscious. The author says in the text that people do not tell you what they think and in addition often what they consciously think is not their true motivation but p ...more
Susan (aka Just My Op)
I was given an advance readers copy of this book.

While ostensibly a book for advertisers and marketers, I wanted to read this because I wondered why Red Bull is so popular, why some of the ads that seem so awful to me are nevertheless successful. But mostly, I wanted another glimpse into how our minds work. This book did not disappoint.

It was both insightful and humorous. “The advertisements which bees find useful are flowers – and if you think about it, a flower is simply a weed with an advert
Rishabh Srivastava
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful read. Breezy and irreverent. The author talks about scenarios where a purely "logical" approach can lead to worse outcomes for business.

Had some thought-provoking points. But wasn't particularly well structured.

My key takeaways were:
1. Economic theory is an insufficient way to identify value proposition - both in B2B and B2C scenarios. Loss avoidance and personal status gains are a much stronger motivators than prospects for economic gains

2. The way a question is phrased can influence
Piinhuann Chew
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
To be honest my rating is 4.5 stars but the Goodreads' system doesn't allow rating "1/2 star".

This book first flipped my brain upside down, then it mashed my brain vigorously and I found that my brain became very pulpy and mushy after finished reading this book.

The author successfully proved that conventional logic and wisdom fails more than what people think through many real life examples in the book. The central message of the book is that "No one knows anything!". Even Physicists who are Nob
Aylla
Aug 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book should come with a warning for its display of sexism and white, wealthy middle-aged eurocentric male views. If you can get past that, you might find some of the ideas interesting.

The acknowledges his children for their help on political correctness. Well, either his children did not do a good enough job, or he did not listen to them.
Tom Ausra
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mind blowing
Anurag Dahal
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
By the means of unconventional logic and for some irrational reasons, I give this book five stars. Lol
Andrus
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you need to improve public transport service, the rational option is to invest in new roads, tracks, vehicles, stations -and this will set you back tens/hundreds of millions. The alternative is to invest a couple of hundred grand into better displays that tell you exactly when the next train/bus is due. Less anxiety > increased perception of quality for a fraction of cost.

Rory Sutherland calls this lateral problem solving "alchemy", and the book is full of related anecdotes and examples. And
Warwick Cairns
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really thought-provoking book that makes a powerful case for why we should realise that the emotional and psychological aspects of why we do the things we do should be treated with as much seriousness as the logical aspects.

Some reviewers have jumped to unwarranted conclusions about Sutherland's case. I've seen it said that he rejects logic and science, that he's anti-truth or post-truth. So I thought I'd finish with a quote from the book itself, to make things perfectly clear:

"I’m not asking
Daniel
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Absolutely excellent. Not too many books have an insight--a major insight--on every page. This one does.

Sutherland has a great gift for explaining things by often hilarious analogy, and it makes the book a genuine pleasure to read (in the author's language, he "scents the soap"), while it shows readers the benefits of pursuing the seemingly illogical, the non-obvious, the counter-intuitive... or at the least, doing something that's never been tried before. "After all, if it worked and
jasmine sun
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, psychology
3x longer than it needs to be, and nothing new if you’ve read any pop/business psychology before (or have a humanistic background).

the tips are better for life hackers and marketers than attempts to improve the world, so i’d disregard his comments on social/governance issues, which he comes off as pretty ignorant about.

i will say that the anecdotes and short chapters make it easy and enjoyable to read. and if you haven’t read similar books, it might introduce new information on why psychologic
Jim Razinha
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
I had a difficult time getting into this book, an uncorrected proof received for review from the publisher through LibraryThing. Barely forty pages over a miss and miss (as opposed to hit or miss) month and a half. As the illogic would have it, 3.5 hours spent waiting for the chance to be told the documents I brought to renew my driver license were insufficient (grrr) gave me an extended window to dig in, and dig in I did. Lots of margin notes and sticky note flags. Sifting them for review relev ...more
Sean Goh
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biz, psych
Should be required reading for all the technocrats weaned at the altar of Logos. Question assumptions, ask silly questions, and remember that people (mostly) aren't Homo Econominus.
___
The economy is not a machine. It is a highly complex system. Machines don't allow for magic, complex systems do.
Engineering does not allow for magic. Psychology does.

If we allow the world to be run by logical people, we will only discover logical things. But in real life, most things aren't logical - they are psyc
Eskil
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An insightful and very surprising book about marketing and how not everything can be solved with logic. Rory gets his points across with an abundance of real life examples that makes things easy to grasp and then he backs it up with scientific studies. He also adds a healthy dose of humor, which certainly doesn't hurt. I think everybody should read this book, one doesn't have to be in a marketing profession to get something out of it.
Varun
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tough to appreciate for us math types

It would be tremendously difficult to appreciate this book if you, like me, are from a background in mathematics and/ot data science. Many conclusions, theories and thought experiments in this book will appear outright ridiculous, impossible or even outrageous. But there are golden Nuggets of knowledge where you won't only agree with what the author is saying but also would feel you've experienced the same phenomena. Author tries clubbing several human behavi
Sairam Krishnan
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining and insightful. Rory Sutherland's Alchemy is a book that goes straight on to the pile of marketing tomes I keep on my desk for easy access and reference. This stack includes Seth Godin's This is Marketing, another great title, and which I was continuously reminded of as I read Alchemy - maybe they should be read together.

Sutherland is a practitioner, which makes his examples and stories so much more credible - this is no intellectual preaching at us from arm's length. And his plea t
Jaak Ennuste
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are things that make sense and work, and things that don't make sense and work. Life largely revolves around the former, rarely around the latter. Nonetheless the category of things which do not make rational sense, yet work (Alchemy, in other words), can produce great results. The difficulty is not getting fired or not looking extremely dumb when trying out stuff that is hard to justify rationally. We should be more open minded about asking very basic questions and digging deep into seemi ...more
Raghu Vinay
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rory is the most engaging speaker/author on behavioral science. His examples are from our daily usage, connects so easily and at the same time insightful and valuable to any marketer. A couple of them

1. "Soap was sold on its ability to increase your attractiveness more than on its hygenic powers"

2. How RedBull gained foothold in the dominated soft drinks industry by introducing a drink which tastes worse than Coke and Pepsi but priced 8-9 times more

Frankly, I have enjoyed Rory's talks more than
Trung Nguyen Dang
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a witty and easy read by an expert in the world of advertising. It is full of anecdotes and examples of human's irrationality in the ad world. While I would prefer the scientific rigors of the books on irrationality by the psychology professors (eg Dan Ariely, Robert Caldini), many of the anecdotes attributed success to some of the irrational design but there may be other factors at work which we do not know about as there is no control group in real life.
Niklas Laninge
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book provides an interesting new narrative to the application of behavioral economics and psychology. It really shows that this is the compilation of a long career and the book could easily be spilt into two book. It loses its stringency in the end but the fun an Nobel rifting makes up for that. Recommend!
Angela Magic Art
The beginning of this book, probably the first third, 5 stars! Super thought provoking and interesting. Will probably reread the beginning again at some point! The other two thirds, kind of redundant, and a little dull. The very end was mostly just politics, which I didn’t find that helpful. As with a lot of business/self help books. I think it was too long.
Fabian
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is much in line with the work of Nassim Taleb who brought be to this book in fact and I am glad he did because it’s fantastic!
Sam
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
A fascinating discussion of human decision making and how the mind does not run on logic. Sunderland wittily argues for the intermittent abandon of logic and to question the assumption that because it is reliable in the physical sciences, it is applicable everywhere else. If we were logical in our thinking and decision making then economists would be able to reliably predict our behaviour and yet they cannot. It seems counter intuitive to us that if we give employees more vacation time that they ...more
Adam
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Stunning book. I picked it up thinking it may help broaden my thinking, and it absolutely has. I'm not even going to try to pull out the best quotes, because I highlighted about 1/4 of it (including some of the footnotes). Really smart, really clear. Must read for marketers, communicators, influencers (professionals, not prolific social posters).

Just a couple of key ideas that stuck with me:
* If you want to change behavior, don't focus on convincing people to share your reasons, especially if th
Chad
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it

The concepts presented in the book are intriguing, but I'm not a fan of the presentation. I spent about 4-5 hours reading this book, but there isn't more than 45-60 minutes of content. There's a constant stream of re-dressing the same points as something new.

I read several other books in between starting and finishing this title, which is bizzare for me.

I'm happy I read the book, but I feel like a TED talk by the author would have offered me the same things I got out of reading the book.

I'd rat
David Allen
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It's main point was to provide a counter narrative to our fetishism of 'logical' economic models. Many of the neoclassical models that we seem to be obsessed with applying to social/business problems don't include an understanding of the classical political philosophical origins from which they derive. The author is entertaining how he points out many absurd biases and mind tricks we seem to fall into. Loved it :)
Bipin Ramachandran
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting book on how to look for solutions in a non-traditional way. Most of the things happening around us have a 2 type of impact on us. Because of what happened and because of what we feel about it. The ‘feeling’ part is more important than actual things, though we may not be cautiously aware of it. The book is about little ideas that can improve the ‘feeling’ part, hence improve an overall perceived experience even when what happens is difficult to alter.
Brew Schmuck
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
An average book that could’ve been so much more had Sutherland been more patient and his editor willing to work with it. It suffers horribly from the “Nassim Taleb syndrome” of repeating the same sentence over and over hoping no one will say anything. Well I’ll say something. It’s okay if the total amount of material you got amounts to like 50 printed pages. You don’t need to play with giant empty white spaces and repetitions to get it to 300.

In short the book starts off well and I honestly beli

• Choice Factory: 25 Behavioural Biases That Influence What We Buy
  • Founded After Forty: How to start a business when you haven't got time to waste
  • Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models
  • Innovation for the Fatigued: How to Build a Culture of Deep Creativity
  • The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • The Psychology of Money
  • Lead Like a Coach
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • Moon: Past, Present and Future
  • Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • The Breakfast Club for 40-Somethings: A Novel Approach to Unlearning Money and Reinventing Your Life
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • The Storytelling Edge: How to Transform Your Business, Stop Screaming Into the Void, and Make People Love You
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Do Breathe: Calm your mind. Find focus. Get stuff done