Start by marking “Katy and the Big Snow” as Want to Read:
Katy and the Big Snow

Katy and the Big Snow

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  10,210 Ratings  ·  166 Reviews

Katy, a brave and untiring tractor, who pushes a bulldozer in the summer and a snowplow in the winter, makes it possible for the townspeople to do their jobs.

Published January 1st 1943 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Katy and the Big Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katy and the Big Snow

Chak
Apr 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid
I think Virginia Lee Burton is wonderful. Long-winded, but wonderful. I like the ridiculous level of illustration detail in this book (the map of the town is really out-of-control detailed and the story of the humanized snow plow that just keeps going even though she's tired and she doesn't think she can do it. File this under "I think I can" books. Ages 4-7.
K8teebug
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the only things I've ever found with Katy spelled with a "y". Who cares if I'm a snow plow? I'm a snow plow who saves the day!
Dale
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
The more time goes by, the more books I read to my kids, the more I appreciate Virginia Lee Burton. Katy the big red bulldozer is a strong female protagonist with no need for a love interest or even a male sidekick. She just keeps on chugging, helping people, doing the job when no one else can, never giving up even when she gets tired. Before becoming a parent I wouldn't have expected anthropomorphic highway department vehicles to be kickass role models, but here we are.
Susan

This story was used in my "snow" storytime and we pretended to push the snow in all the parts of town mentioned- north, south, east and west. East is toward the mountains, west is toward the lake and so on, so we chugged along in those directions. It is also great to showing how much snow fell- good math tie-ins.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
We really liked this book here (another new one for me -- clearly I was Virginia-Lee-Burton-deprived as a child!)-- it's certainly appropriate for a New England audience. I enjoyed the extra illustrations around the border too -- they're a nice extra for children to enjoy looking at even after the reading is done.
Josiah
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a gift Virginia Lee Burton was to the world. Her warm, sincere, hopeful style of writing, even as the characters in her stories come upon hard times and their eventual success is anything but guaranteed, is like nothing else I've ever read. Virginia Lee Burton's characters are long-suffering and gentle, enthusiastic and generous, and in Katy and the Big Snow, we are introduced to an unforgettably doughty protagonist willing to put everything she has on the line to help friends in need. If ...more
JTownsend
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katy is a tractor. She pushes dirt on the summer and usually rests on the winter. The highway department takes off her blade and puts a plow on. Burton describes Katy as a red crawler tractor that “could do lots of things”. The winters are usually mild and Katy is not called upon until there is a Big Snow. The story is about how the town shuts down, people are trapped, people are sick and need to get to the hospital and a house is on fire! Katy is the only one that can navigate around town, push ...more
Mindy
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
We read this as a part of our "Five in a Row" curriculum and my six year old found it very boring. The four-year-old (at the time) twins really enjoyed it. The illustrations are engaging because Burton places detailed drawings and captions in the margins of the book. There is also an interesting map in the center of the book which contains a key along the margins and many numbers in the map to match up with the key. This book would go well with a map unit for younger children. All in all, the st ...more
Relyn
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: It's a childhood favorite.
Oh, I am so glad to have reread this book. I hadn't read it in years and it was wonderful. The maps were wonderful and so engaging. The details would appeal to boys and girls. The story is simple and easily accessible. But, the best part about this book is the plans I have for it. I can't wait to use it to teach a few writing mini-lessons. Her use of word placement on the page and in conjunction with pictures will be a great example to my own little book-makers. Can't wait!
Judy
Dec 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pic-books
Personifying machinery has always seemed odd to me. Tuggy the Tugboat was the first such story that I remember. I'm not even comfortable reading these to a child. A machine that thinks and has feelings is just weird. Of course, someday computerized machinery may take on emotions of their own, and I will have to rethink my stance.

That said ... Katy has admirable character traits, which I'd be happy for kids to emulate. And, I like any book with a pictorial map that kids can study.
Kristy
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books, seasonal
This is my favorite so far by Virginia Burton. If you love her, you'll love this book. Katy gets a whole town out of trouble by plowing in all directions in Geoppolis. No one but Katy is strong enough to do it, and she keeps going until every bit is done. I love these illustrations - just imagine what the page looks like that shows the town under a huge snowfall. It's fun.
Jessica
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Of the other books by Burton this one was merely "okay" -- I love the other ones in her collection better. There just seems to be something missing here. A lack of connection with the character. However, the work hard ethic of the snow plow was good. I'd probably only add this to our permanent collection just to round out the series but it is not on my must have list.
midnightfaerie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
By the author of one of our favorite books, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel! Wanted to try another Burton and she didn't disappoint. My kids loved it. A little lesson about maps and directions with a compass rose and a map of the town. A great social studies lesson as well. All my kids loved this one.
J. Boo
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richly detailed illustrations (it's Burton, after all), with an engaging - and very slightly anthropomorphic - tractor as the heroine. Not quite the emotional heft of "The Little House" & "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel", but still a great read. DS4 & DD2 were enthralled.

4/5
Patrick
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for kids. Story keeps them interested and teaches a great lesson about helping others even when the situation is hard. The illustrations are also very good with lots of "stuff" for the young person to look at.
Tiffany
Nov 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children-s
Just okay for me, but my little boy loved reading about the snow plow (Katy) that saves the day. The best part is the illustrations, including a full map of the city where you can track Katy's route through the city as she helps out.
Katie Daniels
This book is about meeeee!
Mary Train
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book...classic read aloud that still appeals to children in magical ways. It has the big snowstorm, big vehicles, a hero, a city map...what more could you ask for in kindergarten!
Kate
Everyone in the family loves this book.
Betsy Tibe
Still a great winter book for kindergarten and first grade even though it was written 70 years ago!
Jeremy
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic Kid's book. I wish I lived in the city of Geopolis.
Michael
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favoret book of all times. I read it as a kid and I have read it many a time to my daughter.
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book for a grandmother to read with a two year old grandson who loves to snuggle.
Dwight
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have loved this book as a kid. So much better than Mike Mulligan and his Steam shovel.
Karren
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Virginia Lee Burton is a favorite at our house. We received Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel as a gift and later Katy and the Big Snow. Burton's writing is wonderful for young children—it has a great rhythm and energy to it that makes it timeless. Katy is especially delightful because "the tougher the job the better she liked it"—she is appealing to boys and girls alike. We also have enjoyed Choo Choo, Maybelle the Cable Car, and The Little House. But I think Katy and the Big Snow might be my ...more
Laura |
I had high hopes for this book, especially since my 4yo son specifically pointed it out on the back cover of Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, a book he loves. Sadly, while it has a lot of the same characteristics as Mike Mulligan, but it's comparatively boring. After reading it to my 4yo son, "boring" was his assessment as well, and this is from a kid who loves virtually any book with heavy equipment in the story line. Burton really hit a high point with Mike Mulligan, so we were disappointed ...more
Haydn Bryant
This book is really old, being copyrighted in 1943. It tells the story of Katy, a hardworking tractor that repairs roads and is a snowplow. The city of Geoppolis is hit with a massive snowstorm and its up to Katy to get it up and running again.

For it to be as old as it is the illustration and story stand the test of time, I appreciate the book.

I would use this as an example of not giving up and working hard.
Molly
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The city of Geoppolis has a blizzard and nobody can get where they need to go. Katy the crawler tractor saves the day by plowing everyone out. This picture book is great for the crowds who love cars, trucks and other things that go and it is also great that the one who saves the day is a female, considering that this was originally published in 1943. It seems ahead of its time. I also love the beautifully detailed illustrations. All around, a classic picture book.
Ender W
Like Mike Mulligan, this lovely story captures the same spirit and imagery of small town Americana. Katy must save the day when the town gets snowed in. Kids and adults will enjoy the rustic illustrations, as well as noting different parts of a town and the cardinal directions. Katy is a classic winter time tale.
Luisa Knight
Virginia Lee Burton was a delightful storyteller. She had a wonderful way with words, which is made evident by the fact that she could make a story about a crawler tractor enjoyable. Little boys and little girls will enjoy this!

Ages: 3 - 7

• Madeline in London
  • Barn Dance!
  • Little Toot
  • Storm in the Night
Virginia Lee Burton was an American illustrator and children's book author. Burton produced seven self-illustrated children's books. She married Boston Museum school sculptor, George Demetrios, with whom she had two sons and lived in Folly Cove, Gloucester. She died at 59.

More about Virginia Lee Burton...