Start by marking “So Sweet (Sugar Baby, #1)” as Want to Read:
So Sweet (Sugar Baby, #1)

So Sweet

(Sugar Baby #1)

Desperate times call for desperate measures...

And desperate is the only way to describe Kayla Davis's current situation. Out of work and almost out of money to cover her bills, Kayla finally caves to her roommate's nagging and follows her to Arrangements, an online dating site that matches pretty young women with older men of a certain tax bracket.

Convinced this "make-rent
Published September 29th 2015 by Rebekah Weatherspoon (first published September 1st 2015)

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

SO SWEET was part of a giveaway via Instafreebie a few weeks ago. Even though I'm so over billionaire romances, a few phrases leaped out at me while reading reviews: "sex positive," "woman of color," and "realistic." Words and phrases that, you'll agree, don't often appear in books of this genre. I decided to take a look.

Kayla is living with her flaky roommate, Adler, and both of them are in trouble. Kayla is failing job search after job se
Jeanne
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had a terrible day. You know that kind of day that just beats down your soul and makes everything look bleak and a little hopeless.

I was desperate for a distraction and remembered I had heard to the author, Rebekah Weatherspoon, being interviewed on a podcast where she said this book was fluffy. I needed that last night. I needed to forget about my stress and pain and just lose myself in a hopeful love story. Holy hell did So Sweet deliver and then some.

Kayla is a delight. A big beautiful bl
Erika

This book was something else! Let's see...hot, sexy, an interesting spin on the usual hot billionaire trope, and did I mention hot?

When I say hot, I mean HOT. Also very sex positive, which was great.

This author is new to me but I definitely will be keeping an eye on her from now on.
Lisa
First read: March 2016 (3 stars)
Reread: November 2016

Upping this a star higher because although this book isn't perfect (Kayla and Michael fell in love with each other too quickly for my taste; it did feel a bit rushed--something I didn't notice in my first read but did now, weirdly), I love Kayla and Michael so much and sometimes that's enough for me to rate a book a 4. I enjoyed Kayla's wittiness and her banter with Michael (where can I haz a Michael), and I enjoyed the writing--the way Ms. We
Shelly
There's a few things about this that made me cringe because I'm clearly not the audience that this was meant for.

Twenty-four year old Kayla Davis is unemployed and looking for work but she's only interested in a particular field even though she's almost out of options and money. After multiple applications and interviews she's still without a job. Her roommate and best friend, Adler (a girl), suggests that she become a sugar baby - a kept woman - to which Kayla agrees. At a mixer, Kayla meets 49
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
Well he’s sweet. He’s honest and straightforward, which I like. He’s kind.”

La verdad que no me gusta nada la trama de sugar daddy ni que haya tanta diferencia de edad pero quise darle una oportunidad.

Hasta que me entero que el protagonista tiene 49 años y lo comparo con la edad de mi viejo (tiene 46) y UGH. NUNCA es buena idea comparar a un héroe con tu viejo, PERTURBADOR.

Y encima la protagonista dice que él (nótese que nunca digo los nombres de los personajes en mis reseñas porque ni me los a
K.J. Charles
Rebekah Weatherspoon really does have one of the funniest voices in romance. Never fails, and I adored the heroine of this book. It's first person narrative and Kayla is hilarious, in a thoroughly real "your friend who makes you laugh" way, I loved spending time with her. Also, a plus size heroine who is happy in her body and fully appreciated for it. Yay!

The romance didn't entirely work for me, which I think is primarily because I just don't get billionaires--which is why I'm so late reading th
namericanwordcat
I was simply delighted by this book. I wouldn't have tried it if not for the good book buzz around it and I am happy to buzz some more.

It is a lovely little novella that takes on so much that matters: friendship, age differneces, sexual agency, class, inter racial dating, varied bodied but does so with joy in each each person.

The heroine is great and the hero is steadfast and honest. Everyone in this book in grown (well maybe not the heroine's best friend) and reacts in realistic and practical
Kenesha Williams
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So sweet & super sexy.

This is a great super sexy, sweet, and funny novella. She's not your typical sugar baby & he's not the typical sugar daddy. I love how real the dialogue is & how hot the sex is. I can't wait for the next installment.
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Unlike most billionaire romances, this one actually tried to turn the trope upside down by giving the heroine some autonomy, a healthy sex-positive attitude, and a hero who's actually decent despite his wealth. Had this not been a billionaire romance, I think I'd have enjoyed this way more. Kayla (the heroine) had a good head on her shoulders and was refreshingly honest, which I could see why Michael was strongly attracted to her.

Unfortunately, I'm just not the target reader for this type of st
Sheila Melo
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't Get The Connection Between the Characters

FINAL DECISION: Sorry, this one didn't work for me. The premise seemed creepy -- but I have enjoyed other strange premises before. This one never worked for me. The characters seemed flat and I didn't get the connection between them.

THE STORY: Kayla Davis is out of work and near desperate as she agrees to her friend's plan to go to Arrangements and find a Sugar Daddy. Arrangements matches pretty young women with men of a particular income bracket.
Mónica BQ
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Light, fluffy and slightly scandalous romance that's exactly what the title is selling: sweet.

I'm usually averse to this extreme level of fluffiness, but I have to say Rebekah Weatherspoon manages to obliterate my extremely prejudicial preconceptions against anything corny by delivering an extremely well written insta-romance that's filled with several other terrifically good details that never seem forced or contrite: mixed-race couple, huge age difference that's never a caricature but also nev
Ariadna
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Actual rating is 3.3

This is one of those books that keeps popping up/getting recced/what-have-you. I was in the mood for a quick and fluffy read and decided to give it a try. At 100 pages, the story is meaty enough to write a quick review.

What I like

+ Kayla

She’s a smart and young African-American woman who is also sweet and occasionally goofy. I liked her on own as well as with Michael. She didn't play games and was the kind of person I'd love to have as a friend.

+ Humor

For some reason, I wasn’t
Rachel Kramer Bussel
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued by So Sweet because it looks at love, lust and money in a way that's different from other billionaire books. Kayla isn't an wide-eyed ingenue; she's a cute, chubby single woman who's on the broke side, and reluctantly agrees to try sugar baby/sugar daddy site Arrangements. She's still skeptical when she goes to her first party, but quickly becomes intrigued by a hot billionaire, Michael, who doesn't quite fit the stereotype she has of sugar daddies. He's sexy, although pushing 50 ...more
Kate Sherwood
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't really work for me. I know it's a novella, so there wasn't that much room to add depth, but I honestly never got a feeling of connection between the characters. There was no real conflict, either, which meant... it was just a collection of meh sex-scenes strung together with a thin narrative.

The premise could have been really interesting, but there just wasn't enough in this book to make it work for me.
Taryn (Taryn in Library Land)
3/5

This is my third Rebekah Weatherspoon book and unfortunately, I've consistently found them kind of meh. There wasn't anything overly bad about this one, it just wasn't the book for me. Also, I kinda wish Adler, the female MCs friend, wasn't just a jealous person trying to get in between the couple. I'm over reading romance (or any book) with shitty female friendships.
Anelis
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
intersectionally feminist (lgbt ppl, POC, sex-positive, body-positive) cute erotica

who would have thought?

yes please!
Shira Glassman
There's something about So Sweet by Rebekah Weatherspoon that's like going to a buffet and eating only what you like. In my case, that's salad, more salad, meat, more salad, more meat, and then unfathomable amounts of cantaloupe chunks. Okay, fine, I'll eat this roll because carbs are party of a healthy balanced WHATEVER GIVE ME ANOTHER CHICKEN THIGH.

Let me translate that: it's short, and most of it is the main character having a good time having all her financial problems solved and then get se
Paganalexandria
description
description

Kayla Davis' unemployment situation is verging on critical. Unfortunately her roommate is the same boat. The same roommate has past experience in the sugar bowl, and suggests it answer to their current problems. Kayla doubts she's built for that life, but tags along to a mixer event anyway. She never expects to snag the attention of billionaire Michael Bradbury, the sweetest sugar daddy of them all.

The Good:
1. Kayla is the plus sized heroine I've been waiting on. She is lovely, great sense of hu
Sparklybearsy¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»
A light and super fluffy fast read. I really like the sugar-baby premise, especially when a hot billionaire is involved offering to pay all the bills ( I mean really, stop making me swoon here! ) I liked that Michael was not a cocky dickhead in any way as many billionaires are, he was upfront and honest throughout, they never played games between them.

Kayla was cute and funny, I liked her inner voice. I liked she wasn't stick thing and she was body confident.

description"You’ll hear from me tomorrow. And
rachel

i don't know if this says more about me,, but i've read better sugar daddy aus on a03

🍂 Rep: Kayla (mc) is a plus-sized, black and bisexual; Adler (sc) is sapphic; Reuban (sc) is gay; Daniella (sc) is transgender and Afro-Cuban; Marco (sc) is Mexican and gay.

🌻 Trigger warnings for sexual assault, slut shaming, poverty themes, and alcohol consumption. Mentions homomisia and parent w/ dementia.
camila ❅
Feb 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Este libro cae en la categoría de "quería que me gustara pero al final no fue así", en "no me gusta cuando ponen que la mejor amiga de la protagonista es una perra que le quiere quitar el novio" y en "no me gustaron las escenas de sexo" ...yay.
Robin
Okay, so, I've read about two novellas by this author (and I have two more on my kindle that I'm itching to get to), and I really like her a lot. She's a great writer. She tends to tackle serious topics, or at least topics that you wouldn't necessarily think could be tackled in the way that she does. By that I mean, she does discuss characters who may have mental illness or mental health issues but the story still contains a few moments worth laughing at and there isn't this underlying thought o ...more
Maria Rose
This was both my first time reading a book by this author, and my first time reading a sugar baby/sugar daddy romance. Despite the age difference between the characters, I really liked them both. Kayla definitely comes off true to her young twenties age, but even though the arrangement she makes with Michael is initially for money, I liked that she didn't try to take advantage of her position (as no doubt many young women would). Instead she seems to genuinely like Michael and wants to show him ...more
Jackie
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed Weatherspoon's earlier books, so even though the premise behind this one sounded particularly unappealing (a down-on-her-financial-luck post-college-age woman signs up with a "sugar daddy" dating service), I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, it was even less my cup of tea than the premise had suggested, in large part because the first person narrative spends a lot of time telling rather than showing a sexual romantic connection being forged between our 24-year-old black heroi ...more
Dawn
Cute May/December IR read. I enjoyed the chemistry between Kayla & Michael, these two were meant to meet.

Kayla is young woman who is struggling to get back on her feet after being laid off. After much encouragement by her friend Adler, Kayla decides to sign up with Arrangements (an online dating service for Sugar babies looking for Sugar Daddies). Fortunately for Kayla, the stars and planets were in perfect alignment because on the night of her first meet and greet she meets Michael. The att
Elke
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
i liked this a lot. it was short, sweet, diverse and steamy. i liked the acknowledgement that sex work isn't something to look down on, that sometimes you have to break up with friends, that guys can also be sexually harassed and assaulted, also by girls. the story and romance almost felt too good to be true, but i thought that was a good thing too, because there aren't that many books in which a fat bisexual black girl is the main character and gets the dream romance/life. also always a soft sp ...more
Justine
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was expecting the usual idiotic billionaire crap, but this one was different
The writing was of good quality. Few grammatical errors or misused words.
The heroine was hilarious and level headed in spite of her youth.
One of the reasons for my enjoyment was that the heroine was not written as bitchy,ghetto, mean spirited with a persecutorial complex in spite of the lemons life was throwing her.
Sex and chemistry between the two was good
Liked that the hero w
“So Sweet” is so apt!

This is my first time reading Rebekah Weatherspoon and this was such a cute, fun story! I love Kayla’s humor and the relationship between her and Michael feels very organic. I like their candidness and honesty, especially from the get-go. Largely a low-angst story, but very high heat. I don’t like the conflict that occurs, but I do like that it addressed that men can say no too, and it needs to be respected, and their conversation with Michael setting boundaries. Looking for
  • A Gentleman in the Street (The Campbell Siblings, #1)
  • Gays of Our Lives (Queers of La Vista, #1)
  • Love and Protect
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Small Change (Small Change, #1)
  • At Last
  • Kiss the Bride (Amour et Chocolat, #0.5)
  • Summer Lessons (Winter Ball, #2)
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
  • Hester Waring's Marriage
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
  • A Boy Called Cin
  • A Man And A Woman (The Lady's Tutor. #1.5)
  • Sun-Kissed (Amour et Chocolat, #7; Snow Queen, #2)
  • Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Bend or Break, #6-7)
  • Beyond Repair
  • Hooked (Fandom Hearts, #1.5)
  • Hold Me Down (Carolina Girls, #1)
Rebekah was raised in Southern New Hampshire and now lives in Southern California with an individual who is much more tech savvy than she ever will be.

Her interests include Wonder Woman collectibles, cookies, James Taylor, quality hip-hop, football, American muscle cars, large breed dogs, and the ocean. When she's not working, writing, reading, or sleeping, she is watching Ken Burns documentaries

Sugar Baby (3 books)
  • So Right (Sugar Baby, #2)
  • So For Real (Sugar Baby, #3)