Start by marking “Out of Avalon” as Want to Read:
Out of Avalon

Out of Avalon

WHERE MAGIC WAS BORN AND LEGEND LIVES ON...

Avalon. Mist-shrouded, wrapped in magic. The legendary island of the Goddess, resting place of Arthur. This mystical island's legacy has remained strong over the centuries, becoming a symbol of hope and wonder.

Out of Avalon presents fifteen original stories of magic, adventure, and romance from an era lost to history - yet always
Published May 1st 2001 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Out of Avalon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Avalon

K
Jul 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: arthurian-books
"The Heart of the Hill" • Diana L. Paxson and Marion Zimmer Bradley ...wasn't that good; it was rather plotless and lacked the kind of drive MZB's works usually have in their characters and events. Plus, not very much happened, and the plot that existed was very simple.

"The Fourth Concealment of the Island of Britain" • Katharine Kerr ...I couldn't get through all of this one.

"Prince of Exiles" • Rosemary Edghill ...was quite confusing, but I loved the narrator's accusing tone, and they also see
Arthurianmaiden
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The only way I can write a review for this collection of stories is writing mini reviews for each story because the quality is very different. So there will be some spoiler! If you don't want spoiler jump to the end!

(view spoiler)
Brenda
Mar 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I only read the story by Diana Gabaldon in this book of 15 short stories. Hers is called The Castellan. This is proof she CAN write a short story. LOL. Only 26 pages. I did like it. She can write magical dragon stories too.
Kara
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: king-arthur

Excellent collection of King Arthur stories in all shapes and sizes, some funny, some sad, and most with so very cool twists to the tales.

Loved, loved, loved, seeing all the writers take the exact same cast of characters and all present them completely differently.
Kythe42
Out of Avalon edited by Jennifer Roberson is a collection of Arthurian short stories by various authors. One story entitled The Heart of the Hill is set in Marion Zimmer Bradley's version of Avalon and takes place sometime in the middle of The Mists of Avalon during Morgaine's training to be a priestess. This story was the sole reason I purchased this book and I definitely enjoyed reading it. It should be noted that none of the other stories in this collection have anything to do with Marion Zim ...more
Robyn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I picked up this paperback for $1 at a used bookstore on a whim, and was delighted at how enjoyable it was. Each of the 15 stories in this collection average around 15-25 pages, making it easy to pick up the book and read a quick story before bed.

Some stories were obviously better than others, but happily there weren't any that were truly terrible. I enjoyed each of the author's different tales on historical tales and putting their own spin on them.

I've always been a fan of Arthurian legends, M
Carla
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This review is only for Diana Gabaldon's story (The Castellan). I really enjoyed this story. It was interesting to see what she can do in a different genre. I think it is really cool that she wrote this story with her son, Sam--he has since been published on his own under the pen name Samuel Sykes.
Georgene
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An anthology of short stories all based on the myths and legends of King Arthur. Some were better than others as is almost always true of anthologies. It kept my attention and I enjoyed the stories and the views of the different authors.
Angie Curtis
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book new myths created from the old. There is even a story about Morgaine ( from MZB Mists of Avalon). It takes place in she is still in training, her relationship with raven and a new trainee. I really enjoyed the book and I hope others will too.
Leslie
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book of short stories is a lot of fun to read.
There are many threads woven together to make the King Arthur legend. Each story takes some of them and weaves them to add to the richness of the tale.
Since there are various authors, there are various points of view.
Interesting
Dena
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, bunch of short stories about Avalon mainly from a female perspective.
Rita
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthurian
Good stories. I like the 'wild west' story.
Becky
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first time I've read a collection of short stories. I liked it!
Kim
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arthurian
Such a lovely anthology of stories! I loved almost all of them! The authors, for the most part, did really well, and Roberson chose well in how she put the collection together.
Abigail
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Short story compilations. *sigh* Some were pretty good others were horrible. At least it was entertaining. Would make an excellent airplane book.
Angie
Dec 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Very short ones so far. Good authors included, so I'm excited about finishing...
Karen
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
A moderately good collection of short stories involving various views of the Arthurian legend. I didn't find it a strong collection, and wouldn't re-read it. Vaguely disappointing.
Dana
Includes stories by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana Gabaldon, among other writers. Enjoyable, particularly for medieval/fantasy/King Arthur buffs.
Jeri
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I feel utterly bereft of words to properly describe my complete delight in this book.
Hobbes
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
A collection of stories focusing around Avalon and mostly Merlin. Instead of retelling of the common stories, these authors are showing their alternative ideas featuring characters from the common mythos. It was interesting reading various AUs of Merlin, Camelot, and the families, I found them to be a little too modern romance for the way I think about Camelot. Not bad, but not really to my taste.
bluetyson
Out of Avalon: An Anthology of Old Magic & New Myths (2001)
Tiwi / Kayleigh
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-pleasant-read
A very bad book.
Some stories are lovely others are just strange.
Still I love the cover. ;)
Artorius Rex
Lisa Moonchild
Sep 16, 2012
Ivy Silk
Dec 15, 2014
  • Sword of Avalon (Avalon #7)
  • The Dragon Queen (Tales of Guinevere, #1)
  • Lancelot (Knights Of The Round Table, #1)
  • Sword and Sorceress
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • The Pendragon Chronicles: Heroic Fantasy from the Time of King Arthur
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Excalibur
  • Mordred's Curse
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte
  • Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit
  • The Oxford Guide to Arthurian Literature and Legend
Jennifer Mitchell Roberson O'Green is an author of fantasy and historical literature. Roberson has lived in Arizona since 1957. She grew up in Phoenix, but in 1999 relocated to Flagstaff. She obtained a Bachelor of Science in journalism from Northern Arizona University. Roberson had spent her final semester in England at the University of London. This enabled her to do indepth research at castles ...more
“Before long the dark and dangerous Myrddin had become a good and helpful wizard, and I had been painted the vicious usurper who had seduced and betrayed him and imprisoned him in a forest” 0 likes