Start by marking “Serendipity” as Want to Read:
Serendipity

Serendipity

(Serendipity)

A large sea creature discovers she has important work to do as guardian of all the seas.
Published February 1st 1995 by Price Stern Sloan (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Serendipity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serendipity

Start your review of Serendipity
Amanda
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just because I actually remember it means it was worth a five star. My love of big eyed animals began with the Cosgrove books.
Kimberly Karalius
OMG the memories! My love for this book comes from an experience, even though it IS a cute book with striking illustrations. When I was in grammar school, I had been assigned to read this book to a little boy. He wasn't much younger than me, but it had been a great memory and I never forgot the book because of it.

Now that I have my own copy as an adult, I love the story itself about finding your purpose, even if you don't know where you came from :)
Christine
Apr 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book. I still love this book. Yes, it is a bit preachy and feel good. But it is so wonderful. Cosgrove tale about a sea serpent is something I will always remember.
Robert Davis
I'll admit that when I was a child in the 1970's, I was not aware of these delightful magical books by Stephen Cosgrove, I guess they just didn't enter my orbit. But, they are very splendid and still hold up today. They are very economically bound and I am surprised that the copies I obtained from my local library are not only original 1974 editions, but they are very well preserved.

I first read Wheedle on the Needle last year, which is something of a cult favorite up in the Pacific Northwest,
StrangeBedfellows
Dec 10, 2012 rated it liked it
To me, this is a classic among children's books. I loved it as a child, and I'm nostalgic over it as an adult. Cosgrove creates wonderful stories for children that combine fantastical characters with meaningful lessons. The illustrations are absolutely fabulous and could capture the imagination of any child. I highly recommend this and the rest of Cosgrove's books.
The Winter Rose
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh Serendipity books, how I love thee.
These along with the Whisper the Winged Unicorn series were my favorites as a child. Love them. They always had such great messages. There was so much warmth in the stories and the artwork.
Savvy
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute little book! So fun!!! Perfect for elementary students!!!
Tiffany PSquared
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had such a strong impact on me that I would re-read it long after I was out of the "recommended age group".
I got this book - and several others in the series - from a book-by-mail service that my grandparents ordered for me and my younger cousin. We loved them!
Not only did I fall in love with this adorable pink sea monster, but I was so proud to learn how to pronounce the book's title - one of the biggest words I knew at the time!

Ayla
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K.A. Cummins
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cosgrove’s books are among my all time favorites. Not only did I love reading the books in this series over and over again, but I still have them to this day! His books are some of the only books I have held onto since childhood. Beautiful stories and illustrations. Love, Love this book and the others in this series that were published by Weekly Reader so many years ago!
Ashley Lynne
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was one of my favorite books in early elementary school when I was first learning how to read and wanting to read every cute picture book in the school library. I bought a copy of this book so I could read it for the memories. I’m glad I did. It’s still adorable!
And I love how Serendipity threw all the people’s ocean trash back on them all like “fuck y’all”
Beth
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, nostalgia
This was my FAVORITE when I was little! I must have checked it out of my school library 40 times!
Taylor
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I grew up with the whole Serendipity series. I begged my parents to not give them away while I was at college. Alas, they didn't listen, so I will be hunting for them now that I have a baby.
Wendopolis
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a good childhood memory
Katrina
The book that started it all...published in 1974 with a message I wish a whole lot of the world had listened to sooner.

Serendipity is born when her iceberg melts and her egg hatches, bringing her into a world that sorely needs her. She goes on a journey of self-discovery, aided by a walrus and a dolphin whom they free from a fisherman’s net. Serendipity learns that her size and strength can and should be used for good.

On one page, striking for the ugliness that rarely shows up in these
Rosa Cline
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was so surprised and happy to find Mr Cosgrove's books again! I loved these as a little girl. I would always seek them out from our school library (and matter of fact our librarian had to replace a few of the books because they had gotten so worn out after the seven years of elementary (Kg through 6th grade I would check them out) Now I'm finding them for my adult special needs son and my granddaughter and falling in love with them all over again!

In this one Serendipity starts as an odd egg.
Kitty Kereszturi
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids/kids at heart
Recommended to Kitty by: my mom
I'm not going to comment on each individual book by this author but I grew up reading them all as a child. I have a huge collection of these books, which are mostly out of print. They were by far my favorite childhood stories and the illustrations are beautiful. Each tale has a moral at the end, which elucidates the book's theme. When I look at these books, it is like spending time with a cherised childhood friend. I love them all dearly. Some of my favorites include Dragolin, Bangalee, and all ...more
Julia
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book with easy writing and some gorgeous pictures (not as beautiful as some of the other Serendipity illustrations). The story introduces us to the main character of the series, which is an unknown sea creature born from a mysterious egg resting on an iceberg.

Being one of the first stories there are actually two lessons although like each other book in the series the main one is the one that emphasized.

The only thing I found wrong with this one is that all the fishes were to
Emosians Framboise
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the moral values of the book awe-inspiring
not only for the kids as well for the adults

hmmm.. i think serendipity is an isshi イッシー
(Loch Ness Monster)

serendipity was uncovering her exceptional innerself not usually looking into it... the core value of the fable is people intend to keep searching for who they are usually ends up not knowing their self more... sometimes only taking chances gives us opportunity to know your TRUE self.

in the end she found herself as well her happiness...

she discover
Raena Mceuin
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re
This is a classic little book a lot of people my age had read to them at a young age. This is the first of a series.'Serendipity' is the story about a large pink sea monster who discovers she has important work to do as guardian of the seas. The moral is knowing who you really are will bring you happiness. A lot of the other books in the series cover topics of this nature, they teach kids to deal with everyday situations in the world they live in. It provides them with positive solutions to ...more
Katie (Beveroth) Rider
Oct 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Katie by: My Dad
Shelves: childrens
My dad read all of these books to me growing up. I loved the little rhyme at the beginning and the moral at the end of the story. Terrific stories and illustrations; a multitude of characters to love. I also remember learning to read these books for the first time and struggling with the vocabulary. In particular, I remember getting angry with my brother for telling me the words and not letting me sound them out myself...brothers...
Arwen
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Little Bug often requests this story for bedtime reading. Like all the other Serendipity books by Cosgrove and James the story has a kind of rhythm to it and the illustrations are lovely. This is the origin story of the big pink sea serpent Serendipity, which is the logo featured on all the books. While not my favorite of the Serendipity books we own, it a good story about finding out what you were meant to do.
Peacegal
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Serendipity family of books was a treasured part of my childhood. There seemed to be hundreds of these things, all featuring hippyish illustrations of various creatures with heavily-lashed, sad liquid eyes a la the famous Gig “big-eye” paintings.

This is the story that gave the series its name. It contains a genuine (if heavy-handed) message against polluting the oceans and mistreating the creatures who live in it.
Jessica
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Every book in this series is amazing. These books are my first memories of books. My mom used to read them to me from birth onward. I learned to read while reading of Serendipity, Catundra, the Gnome from Nome, etc. I loved every one of them and the illustrations are amazing. Recommend them to everyone, old or young. Fabulous books with great lessons.
Janie G
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing throwback to my childhood. I used to hoard these books from the library for as long and as often as I could.

Serendipity is a sweet tale about a sea serpent finding her place in the world. The book also holds a strong moral for young readers about the importance of environmental stewardship.
Karen
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Understandably, this book would no longer be interesting to me because it is a children's/picture book, but when I was 5 or 6, I loved the Serendipity books. At the time, I thought they were the best books I had ever read. For a child, all of those books could transport you to a completely different world.
Mary
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The Serendipity series always leaves me with a balmy, peaceful (nostalgic) feeling, as though I've just traveled somewhere else where my own world doesn't exist. I know they are just simple little books, but the illustrations and basic storylines create the perfect atmosphere and have the feeling of a fairytale (even though they aren't).
Sarah Donovan
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this with my nephew today. Not my typical Friday afternoon reading experience, but it was quite profound: "What am I?" "Who am I?" "Who decides?"
Kansasinjapan
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all age groups
Recommended to Kansasinjapan by: my mother
The Serendipity series has been a part of my life since they first started being published. As a child the vivid artwork by Robin James and the magic of the story was more than enough to ensnare my imagination. At one point I owned all of the books. Each book contains a "moral" that although present does not become preachy.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
  • The Missing Piece
  • The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins
  • قصه‌های من و بابام - کتاب دوم - شوخی‌ها و مهربانی‌ها
  • Alligators All Around
  • Falling Up
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • In a People House
  • The Real Mother Goose
  • There's a Wocket in My Pocket!
  • The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Great Goddess
  • The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish
  • The Te of Piglet
  • Kiss of the Mermaid (Step into Reading, Step 3, paper)
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • Solitary Witch
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • The Way of the Shaman

Serendipity (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Bangalee
  • Buttermilk (Serendipity)
  • Buttermilk Bear
  • Butterwings
  • Cap'n Smudge
  • Catundra
  • Crabby Gabby (Serendipity)
  • Creolé