Start by marking “Killing Love” as Want to Read:
Killing Love

Killing Love

This powerful, unforgettable and uplifting story is one part wrenching family memoir, and one part inspirational journey towards healing and forgiveness – but most of all, it’s an unputdownable journey through one family’s tragedy and how they refused to let it define them.

On the day of Rebecca Poulson’s 33rd birthday, her father, niece and nephew were murdered. The
Published September 1st 2015 by Simon & Schuster Australia

To ask other readers questions about Killing Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing Love

Start your review of Killing Love
Diane in Australia
A memoir about the multiple tragedies that Rebecca, and her family, have endured, including murder. She gives you some background, leads you through the crimes, and then tells of how she kept her sanity afterwards.

A sad commentary on how AVOs (Apprehended Violence Order) aren't worth the paper they are printed on. In the USA they are called Restraining Orders, or Protective Orders. I have seen firsthand how useless they are, fortunately, my experience didn't result in a murder.

3 Stars = I liked
Elaine
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Another book about the killing of children by a parent. One that reads like a crime novel and you wish isn't real but realise it is and that these horrible things actually happened. Rebecca Poulson has had tragedy strike her family not once but 4 times with the tragic deaths of very close family members. It was a sad and traumatic read. The fact that this type of thing occurs time after time and is allowed to happen says a lot about a system that fails to protect. Not sure what needs to happen ...more
Brittany
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
3.5

It's hard to review this book for a lot of reasons. Mostly because of the unbearable tragedy that is losing 4 family members, 2 that were under the age of 10. And to lose them on your birthday, well that seems like salt to the wound.

But there were some things that I didn't like about this book and I will be as nice as I can about it.
Firstly, something I have seen in a lot of Australian books is lots of spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. It was a similar case with Poulson's book, which
Jenny Fisher
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca's story is extraordinary, initially tantalising us with anecdotes about her beloved family members, so we get to know them. Then sharing the horror of their deaths and her difficult journey through grief and loss. This book is an important story about domestic violence, suicide and family grief. She also shares her personal journey through the darkness of grief and depression. It is written in such a way that I was drawn into the book, hooked from the first page, didn't want to put it ...more
Karen
KILLING LOVE is one of the most profoundly personal stories that you're going to come across in True Crime reading. It's a story of incredible loss, starting out with the suicide death of Rebecca Poulson's brother, and then the murder of her father and much loved niece and nephew by her brother-in-law, the children's father.

Poulson has written her life onto the pages of this book, her reactions and her struggles with so many needless deaths. It's fraught, difficult and extremely emotional
Meg
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy book to read, as the story is in parts heart breaking...and in return I was given the gift of beautiful phrasing, clarity of purpose and life-changing truths. I can only imagine the depths Rebecca plumbed to write this book and I can only hope that it's message gathers its own momentum in the future without always referencing her pain. But oh my, this girl can write.
Alison
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was deeply moved and impacted by Rebecca's story. Her book was both a heartbreaking story of tragic loss and grief and an inspirational story of recovery and hope. I loved Rebecca's writing style. She writes with honesty, eloquence and thoughtfulness.
Suzanne Flohr
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent book and very well written and personal by the author. Its about a topic i have always said had its problems. AVO. Really dont work do they.
Carmel Coyte
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very well written book. You cannot fail to feel Rebecca's heartbreak and pain while going on her sorrowful journey.
Deb
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I started reading this book I was drawn into Rebecca's world and couldn't put it down. It's a heart wrenching story of loss made even more tragic because two beautiful children who had barely a chance to live were cruelly taken, along with Rebecca's dad who tried to save them.

The book delves into her emotional journey after this horrible event and really brings home the fact that domestic violence can blight any family no matter their circumstances. It's a beautifully written book.
Brenda Wakeling
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow Rebecca so beautifully written on such a unimaginable tragedy .
The depth of your sadness and strength of your courage is a message to all who have been effected by domestic violence !
Out of so many unnecessary deaths ... changes to the law is paramount .
Thank you for sharing such a personal story !
Debbie Wye
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Poulson's story is one of a woman who refuses to let tragedy define her life. She analyses the suicide of her older brother and the murders of her father, niece and nephew and questions herself, as any of us would in the same situations, as to what she could have done to prevent these events. Rebecca shares how the domestic violence 'help' systems in Australia ultimately failed her family and outlines changes she would like to see within government organisations to identify domestic ...more
Zelda
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was not an easy read, due to the topics that it dealt with; suicide and murder of innocent children within a family. Yet I could not put this book down. The author has written with unflinching honesty, sharing details of the horrific events that led up to and happened on her 30th birthday. The descriptions of the processes of grief that she went through on her journey to healing are frank, honest, and full of realism. I found myself relating to some of the things she wrote about. Her ...more
Jenny Fisher
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rebecca's story is extraordinary, initially tantalising us with anecdotes about her beloved family members, so we get to know them. Then sharing her difficult journey through grief and loss. This book is an important story about domestic violence, suicide and personal grief as well as her personal experience through the darkness of grief and depression. It is written in such a way that I was drawn into the book, hooked from the first page, didn't want to put it down. I love the descriptions that ...more
Maureen
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I knew Peter Poulson casually, so this book by his daughter Rebecca about his murder in 2003, trying to save his grandchildren Malee and Bas from their crazed father, is quite special to me. It tells how she managed to survive this tragedy on top of the suicide of her brother 10 years before. It is an honest portrayal of how she coped (and didn't cope much of the time) with this unimaginable burden.
Alexandra Towns
I spent most of my life growing up in the Hawkesbury, and I remember the day this tragic unnecessary day unfolded. I struggled to read some events, I cried, I laughed, I felt the loss and the dispair. I felt the love and the laughs, and the hope. A book of how life can be so unexpected and how you can learn and grow and have hope, love and laughter after the worst of life. Thank you for sharing your story, I really enjoyed it.
Eirinn
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The subject matter is hard going, yet compelling, and Rebecca's writing style kept me turning the pages. The transformation of her brother in law from lover to killer was particularly haunting. I hesitate to call this book entertaining, given that it is a true crime story, but I would recommend it to anyone as an important book, placing domestic violence and its impact in a deserved spotlight.
Paula
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: paulas-shelf
This book tells the tale of an horrific story of a triple murder. As tough as it is to read it's a story that should be told.

It was worth reading, however I did feel the writing a bit 'clunky' at times, but this is a small price to pay for the interesting insight into this true crime story.
Sue
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi Rebecca. I just finished reading your book. How heart breaking. It was so hard to read but I just couldn't put it down.I fully support you as I do Rosie Batty in the fight against domestic violence.
Tim Coronel
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
it's so me, me, me ...
Tanya
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Heart wrenching, hard to put down. Very well written.
Jenni Draper
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
good
Briony Leech
rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2016