Start by marking “The Many Worlds of Albie Bright” as Want to Read:
The Many Worlds of Albie Bright

The Many Worlds of Albie Bright

Published January 14th 2016 by Nosy Crow

To ask other readers questions about The Many Worlds of Albie Bright, please sign up.
Chrissie Fun science meets humor and heart in this adventure about a boy who is searching for his mother . . . in a parallel universe.

Stephen Albie Bright le…more

Stephen Albie Bright leads a happy, normal life. Well, as normal as it gets with two astrophysicist parents who named their son after their favorite scientists, Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein.
But then Albie’s mother dies of cancer, and his world is shattered. When his father explains that she might be alive in a parallel universe, Albie knows he has to find her. So, armed with a box, a laptop, and a banana, Albie sets out to do just that.
Of course, when you’re universe-hopping for the very first time, it’s difficult to find the one you want. As Albie searches, he discovers some pretty big surprises about himself and our universe(s), and stumbles upon the answers to life’s most challenging questions.
A poignant, funny, and heartwarming adventure, this extraordinary novel is for anyone who has ever been curious(less)

Start your review of The Many Worlds of Albie Bright
Odette Brethouwer
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inbezit, 2017
I've just finished and I've been crying for 10 minutes or so. This book is so beautiful and so touching. I highly recommend it!

In this book quantum mechanics plays a big part. It is all explained very well because it is explained by a 10-year-old. All the physics is spot on in this book, which I really really really love. So, if you’ve enjoyed the idea of A Thousand Pieces of You, you will definitely enjoy this book as well, even though it is aimed at children (10-13 year-olds).

But you will also
James
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘The Many Worlds of Albie Bright’ (2016) by Christopher Edge.

This is a great story all about Albie Bright, quantum physics and the quest to find his mother who has recently passed away.

Aimed squarely at the pre-teen/YA demographic, ‘Many Worlds’ mixes science fact (all of which apparently accurate) with science fiction and fantasy with lots of fun. This is a great book for the open minded and imaginative reader of any age – with an interest science in general and quantum physics in particular.

Irene△⃒⃘➰
3.5/5 ~ I read this book today and I loved its concept!! The writing is a little childish but it’s supposed to be a middle grade to that’s okay. The hidden message is beautiful and if you love science that definitely suits you better.
Figgy
Mum and Dad used to joke that their first date was one thousand metres beneath the moors. They went down the mine looking for dark matter – the invisible glue that sticks the universe together – and found each other instead. They got married and, skipping the embarrassing biology bit, eight months later I showed up. Albert Stephen Bright.
The Many Worlds of Albie Bright is told with a simple voice but it covers some rather tough topics, resulting in a book that’s great for young or reluctant read
Thamy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley2017
Review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Thank you to the publisher for giving me this opportunity.

I was very glad to be able to read this story because it is very different from what I usually pick for myself, and yet I found it lovely.

Albie has lost his mother but something his dad says sends him into an adventure—in some parallel universe his mother is still alive, and he's set on finding. With a few adaptations, he creates a machine that creates the paradox he needs to open the door to
Karen Barber
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Named after his parents' two favourite scientists, Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, Albie Bright has always enjoyed science and questioning the world around him.
When we first meet Albie he tells us about his mother's death, and I defy anyone not to fall in love with him right away. Once his dad talks to him about quantum physics Albie is convinced that with the right invention he will be able to travel to an alternate universe, one where his mother is alive.
What follows is a touching story o
Peter
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
What an ending - just beautiful. Perfectly written.
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Last year I saw a translated to Dutch middle grade book making the rounds. It was more so under the radar and the attention seemed to come more from book sellers than any of the Dutch book bloggers. This book was The Many Worlds of Albie Bright.

Straight of the cover pulled me in and after hearing some great things I added it to my list. My very long list. Fast forward to this Summer and I finally reserved it in the library and read it. And people, you NEED to read this book. It is gorgeous.

The
Celeste_pewter
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I looked at the synopsis, looked at the length of the book, and mused: "Can you really tell a tale about parallel universes in such a brief text?" Well, the answer is: Yes, and it's a beautiful story, at that.

Christopher Edge introduces readers to ten-year-old Stephen Albie Bright, the son of two high-profile scientists. But when his mom dies, Stephen goes on a journey to find his mother in a parallel universe. What follows, is an important journey about learning how circumstances can shape a p
Steph
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
This is a lovely, gentle read about a grieving boy using quantum physics to try and spend more time with his recently deceased mother. I enjoyed Albie's experiences in his alternate worlds immensely and may possibly even understand Schrodinger's cat now. A small and unchallenging read, but one that makes you think nonetheless.
Yas
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to read it Again
Brittany
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm overwhelmed with how wonderful this book is....it was spectacular and moving and so sweet and simple.

Albie has lost his mother to cancer, yet her legacy as a world-renowned scientist inspires him to search for a parallel universe where she still lives.

He learns many lessons about himself and his family through his time travel to different dimensions and the action is packed right until the end.

I found myself pretty emotional at times, truly moved by this beautiful book.
Bookslut
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-baby
**spoilers**

I feel, always, repelled by the idea of parallel universes. I am the only me there is, ever, anywhere--I feel in my stomach this must be true. But I've got to hand it to quantum physics, because once I heard the premise of this book, it spoke right to the dead baby part of me. Oh! To see him again, in a universe where just one tiny thing hadn't gone wrong! It was breathtaking, to think about that way. So I went with Albie to find his mom, and the concept is adorable. The author inclu
Lucy Allison
This book is exceptionally moving. This book was recommended to me after reading the first line, as I found it a mix of odd and intriguing, which drew me in and fostered my curiosity. Albie Bright has just lost his mother in the beginning of the story, but he tries to find her through parallel worlds and quantum physics. This is a great story for both boys and girls, but stereotypically may appeal more to boys due to the science. However, as a teacher, I would definitely promote this book to any ...more
Sonja P.
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh my heart. This is a lovely middle grade book around grief and parallel universes.
Alex Peachman
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Albie Bright is bright enough to invent a quantum mechanics machine that will transport him to parallel universes. But, after his Mum dies, will he be able to find a universe in which she is still alive?
This is a really interesting concept and I learnt a lot of interesting things about Physics on the way! I particularly liked the idea of him finding different versions of himself and his Dad - some of them were very funny.
One for fans of Frank Cottrell Boyce and Ross Welford.
Carrie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We're all made of stardust. And when I look up at the night sky -- into the heavens -- Mum will always be there.

Oh my heart! It almost broke from the very two sentences:
"It was my dad who gave me the idea of using quantum physics to find my mum. She died two weeks ago."

My first reaction was, "This is going to make me cry, isn't it?" I am happy to report that although the ending pulled at my heart strings. I did not cry! I really wasn't expecting the heartache going into this middle age book! I
Mathew
I wasn't sure at first how much as I was going to like this but then, with the final half of the book pulling no punching and wearing its heart right on its sleeve, I was won over: hook, like and sinker. When Albie's mother dies of cancer and his father, a science celebrity is busy globetrotting the media world, then Albie decides that he would do all he can be find his mum some way. Even if that meant continuing her research in parallel universes and finding his way to her...in somewhere comple ...more
Ayse_
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
This is another one of those parallel universe theme books. Its entertaining and funny, and gives tidbits of information about space and science. It may be a fun read for the scientifically inclined. My daughter enjoyed it when we read together, however it cannot be one of our favorites.
Snazzy Reads
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars
Dana Salman
I don’t know if it’s because of my becoming a seventh grade teacher at a school with a largely book-hating student body whose idea of literature rarely extends further than Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but I was very pleased with how refreshingly smart this book was. I feel like it’s been ages since I’ve read a middle grade book that was actually both entertaining and educational, in that kids can read this and come away with interesting facts and bits of trivia they wouldn’t have known about before. I ...more
Leah
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Many Worlds of Albie Bright is one of those books you want to read forever. Albie is such a clever, funny, warm narrator that you’re really rooting for him to find his mum in any of these alternative/parallel universes and once I started the book I didn’t want to finish it. I’m not massively clued up on science, but watching The Big Bang Theory helps massively with understanding a book like this. I mean it’s not overly complex - it’s for 9-12 year olds, but even so, you have to be paying att
Tracy Rowan
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Albie, who has lost his mother to cancer, and who feels neglected by his bereaved father, decides that if the many worlds theory is correct, then he can find his mother alive in a parallel universe if he can figure out how to hop between them. To that end, he discovers the Quantum Banana theory, and begins jumping into parallel universes looking for the one person he desperately wants to be with. Along the way, he encounters other versions of his friends and family, and even of himself, he has a ...more
Elaine
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I am grateful to have won this enjoyable read in a Goodreads Giveaway.

This book has a very neat premise, although a sad one. The sci-fi is a lot of fun and makes me, the reader, want to look into quantum physics. While I do really like this book and will recommend it to others, I have a few criticisms.

The sci-fi is fascinating, but absolutely impossible to parse out in a reader's mind, who probably has no exposure to quantum physics. I would recommend this book to 10-14 year olds simply because
Sarah Pickles
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3-5-novels, 4th-grade
This was a fabulous read and although I can't say I understand quantum physics now, it certainly gave me a lot of food for thought. It is a beautifully written and touching story of how Albie, the son of two scientists, struggles to come to terms with his mother's death. Believing quantum physics holds the answer, he develops his 'Quantum Banana Theory' and uses his mother's computer to transport himself to parallel universes where he meets different versions of himself and his friends and famil ...more
17gjinim229
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
its about a boy called Albie whos parents are scientists. one day Albies mum dies and Albie decides to go into a parralel universe to try and find his mum. he keeps on getting into a universe where hes mum is dead. but after about 3-4 universes he finds his mum but then cant stay because he feels sorry for his dad as hes left him behind, so he goes back and stays with his dad.
Jayne Catherine pinkett
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a most compelling middle grade book I've read in a long time. I loved the clever way the author mixed scientific fact with a beautiful, fun filled and emotional way to look at grief. I cried so much at the end.
Full review on my channel
The Campbells Clan
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Caitlin
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Even if you don't like science, you will thoroughly enjoy this. A beautiful story about a boy that has recently lost his mother and tries to deal with this loss by travelling to parallel universes where she might still be alive. I loved it.
Sara
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an unexpectedly beautiful book - and the melding of science into the plot is elegant and purposeful. This is a GEM.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Highland Falcon Thief
  • Kick
  • Secrets of a Sun King
  • Phoenix
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Boy Who Grew Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #1)
  • The House of One Hundred Clocks