Start by marking “The Grave of Lainey Grace” as Want to Read:
The Grave of Lainey Grace

The Grave of Lainey Grace

Every year, when the last leaf of summer falls, roses are laid at the grave of Lainey Grace. No one knows who steals into the cemetery after the gates are closed and locked, least of all the head groundskeeper, Bob.
When Bob is warned he’ll be fired if the rose-givers sneak in again, his ten-year-old granddaughter, Briar Ann Wade, decides to find out who the perpetrators ar
Published September 2nd 2015 by Aames & Abernathy (first published September 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Grave of Lainey Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grave of Lainey Grace

Start your review of The Grave of Lainey Grace
Melanie
This was such a wonderful and fresh read! Review coming soon!

Thank you netgalley for giving me a copy in exchange of a honest review!

This gem here is one of the most unique book I've ever read in quite a while. I love how it blends middle grade, fantasy and all of a sudden it just bombs you with so many feels all at while that you are left wondering, "what the heck just happened???"

I love how this book takes place in 3 years time; it's really nice to see how the environment and the characters ha
Sheri
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Grave of Lainey Grace by Aaron Galvin

Every year, when the last leaf of summer falls, roses are laid at the grave of Lainey Grace, no one knows who is doing this. Groundskeeper Bob is warned he will lose his job if the flowers appear again. But his granddaughter Briar Ann is determined to find out who is leaving the pile of flowers and why only at the beginning of Fall.

A fantastic story, beautifully told. Briar is very likable, and unstoppable in her quest for the truth. Her Grandfather, wise
Megan Schmelzer
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Open Book Reviews by Megan Schmelzer
www.openbookreviews.org

I am not a huge lover of fantasy books. As a very logical person, they tend to be hard for me to get lost in. Often times, I find myself struggling with the fact that the events of fantasy books are clearly not possible instead of just allowing myself to get lost in these beautiful and creative made-up worlds that different fantasy books create. Naturally, I do have a few, and very far between, exceptions to this statement (i.e. Harry P
Kriste
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy, jack
I heard the author, Aaron Glavin, speak at my son's middle school in Noblesville, IN. He was a wonderful speaker and really had a way of catching middle schooler's attention. Since he is a native Hoosier and a fellow Ball State Alumni, I decided to purchase one of his books. He used the tag line of this book in his talk and that sentence, "Every year, when the last leaf of summer falls, roses are laid at the grave of Lainey Grace.", really caught my attention.
I didn't have any idea what kind of
Gene Gosewehr
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 way through, this book turned from a cute coming of age story to an emotionally gripping fantasy about coping with death and legacy. The descriptions of Trixie and Ferd were terrific and really painted a picture for me. Most of all I loved the time spent building he relationship between Grandpa Bob and Briar. Even if one can’t relate to such a strong grandparent relationship, this book will put you in it and have you wishing for such memories.

Great read, wonderfully
Liz Etnyre
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
Delightful! – if a bit soppy at the end, but I still liked it. Deals with death and grieving, but not at all in a maudlin way, nor is it a sad story in the end. Age appropriate for just about anyone. 8 and older, depending on the kid, of course. (My cat, Fred, is now sometimes called Fred the Ferd in honor of one of the characters.) Nice light read for grown ups – maybe even comforting for someone grieving? 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 for warm fuzzies!
Vicki Scullion
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique YA fantasy story. I think middle schoolers will love it!
Paige Pell
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one grew on me... And by the end I loved it. Magical.
Sally Maxwell
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, such a touching story, it made me smile and cry like a baby all at the same time.
Cheryl
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

This was a wonderful story about love and loss. A very warm story about a young girl and her grandfather along with believe it or not fairies and trolls along with other mystical beings. A lost older couple that adds a twist to the story that leads to a great end. I recommend this book to all readers.
sharon murray
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

The more I read the more magical this story became. I'm considered an old person now but I so enjoyed this book. Sometimes it's wonderful to remember how you used to feel as a child believing in things that as an adult just isn't possible. I would highly recommend this book to all ages!
Brenda Barber
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

This a great book very well written with so many hidden emotions that just grab you . Great characters. Full of great wisdom. Everyone needs to be remembered and loved.
Alaina Crosby
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I went into the book expecting more of a ghost story (when I first read the synopsis the term “rose-givers” seemed very eery), I was delightfully surprised to find a story that very much delved into celtic myth and the like, and did so well. It wasn’t all rainbows and unicorns or whatever the saying is either; it was a great mix of the fantastical and magical grounded in a story of learning about the realities of this unforgiving and sometimes bleak world we live in. I hadn’t realized thi ...more
Diana (Booking an Adventure)
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
For more of my reviews, please visit Booking an Adventure.

The Grave of Lainey Grace caught me unexpected. I started reading the book assuming to get a heartfelt coming of age story and yet I got more. What I read was something magical. Little Sarah is ten years old and her favorite place to hangout is with her Grandpa while he works at the cemetery. For a majority of the year, the cemetery is what you would expect. Sarah helps her Grandpa rake leaves, collect flower bulbs, and lock up gates. But
Samantha
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Briar Ann, like her father before her, spends a lot of time in the local cemetery. She's no ghost. It is just that her beloved grandfather works there as head groundskeeper, and there is no other place Brian Ann would rather be than with him. Grandfather Bob fills Briar Ann with stories about hope and heartache as he tends his charges in the cemetery, including Lainey Grace. Lainey Grace is something of a mystery and a local celebrity even-though she has been dead longer than Brian Ann has been ...more
Rachel Stansel
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"People mourn in all sorts of different ways."

This is a beautiful, magical story about a girl named Briar. Her grandfather is the caretaker for a local cemetery where each year, when the last leaf has fallen from the trees, the grave of Lainey Grace is covered with roses even though the gates are locked. Who is Lainey Grace, who leaves these roses and how?

The story follows Briar through the year her grandfather is fired for not preventing (or maybe from leaving) all the roses. Through a touch
Summer
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who is Lainey Grace? That was my question for most of the book. The story begins with the groundskeeper of the cemetery, Bob and his granddaughter Briar Ann, waiting once again for the annual placing of the roses on a random grave of a girl named Lainey Grace. They wonder where the roses come from, especially given the cemetery is locked at night and there is seemingly no way for anyone to get in. Briar Ann stumbles upon a magical secret one night that changes everything--and finally answers the ...more
Gina Hott
Growing up as a girl to ran around with her grandfather as well I found The Grave of Lainey Grace to be a refreshing and fun novel, memory, mystery…

This adorable book did make me laugh and cry. There are many powerful lessons contained in these pages children of all ages ate going to want to get lost in Coldwater Cemetery!

(** For me this movie was along the lines of The Bridge to Terabithia or The Spiderwick Chronicles :-) **)

More…
Author: Aaron Galvin
Source: Aaron Galvin in exchange for an hones
Teri Miller
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story has it all, mystery, family drama, love, leprechauns.

A young girl helps her grandpa in the cemetery, where he is the grounds keeper. They have fun, fierce devotion, hard work, and the mystery of where all the roses come from each year when the last leaf of summer falls.

There is magic, and sadness. Don't you just hate it when tears are running down your face, but you are also laughing? I recommend this very precious book, good clean fun...if you don't mind getting your hands dirty digg
Ronesa Aveela
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was in the mood for a mystery, and the title of this book caught my eye. It's not what I was expecting; it was better. You'll love the characters, especially Trixie the trickster, and Ferd, the sweet, innocent big oaf. Ten-year-old Briar is determined to find who leaves roses at a grave every year. What she discovers is a lesson in believing the unbelievable, and has to convince others of the truth as well. Well worth the read.
Salla (Books Told Me So)
After the slow introduction to the book's world, the story got full of wonder, love and happiness. It's not only about happy things, it's also about grief, sadness and hurting. It teaches you what it is to love, to forgive, to wonder, to believe in impossible things. And what is the beauty of living.

Go read my full review at http://bookstoldmeso.blogspot.fi/2015/09/review-grave-of-lainey-grace.html
Debbie
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this copy of The Grave of Lainey Grace by Aaron Galvin from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The was a magical book. It caught the attention of the child in me big time. Fans of The Chronicles of Narnia and Where the Wild Things Are will love this tale.
Karie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK.

From my review: "The Grave of Lainey Grace is absolutely beautiful. Aaron Galvin has brought the essence of being a child and caught between the whimsy of childhood and the sometimes cold reality of adulthood to life with a deft hand."

GO READ IT!
kathyenglish
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable?

Good book. Different than I am used to. I would recommend it to anybody who can read and likes a bit of fantasy.
Kerri A Hester
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!

Might be one of the most emotional books I have ever read. I couldn't stop reading through my tears and running nose. A must read for all ages in my opinion.
Kelley A
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet story

I'm glad I stumbled upon this book. I enjoyed the relationship between Briar and her grandpa, and loved that this story took a different turn than I was expecting.
Joyce  Carroll
Nancy Hill
Mar 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Kat & Maus
  • A Sheik for Rose (Hearts of Gold #1)
  • Dear Mr. Weaver (Mail-Order Bride Ink, #1)
  • Colorado Wrangler (Peakview, Colorado, #4)
  • Dukes Prefer Bluestockings (Wedding Trouble, #2)
  • Phoebe the Mail Order Bride: A Collection of Mail order bride and Amish Romance short stories
  • Restless Hearts (Gold Rush Romances #1)
  • Have My Baby (Crescent Cove, #1)
  • The Exchange
  • Kiss A Cowboy (Kiss A Cowboy Series #1)
  • Last Rites (Sisters of Andlusan Book 1)
  • Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1)
  • Dare To Love (Crystal Springs Romances: The Wedding Chapel Book 3)
  • Their Shifter Princess (Their Shifter Princess #1)
  • Double the Luck (Luck of the Irish, #1)
  • His Distraction (X Enterprises Book 1)
  • The Merriweather Sisters Books 1-3 (Knights Through Time Travel #1-3; Merriweather Sisters Time Travel #1-3)
  • Twice Shy (The Power of Love, #1)
Aaron Galvin learned that he could get away with making up stories at age five and has continued telling them ever since. He is a conflicted Slytherin/Gryffindor, a known rascal, and sometime ne’er-do-well.

Also, he writes. Daily, sometimes, but mostly nightly.

He currently lives in Southern California with his two lovely daughters and an adoring wife, who continues to put up with his antics even th

News & Interviews