Start by marking “Diabolus ex machina (Star Trek TNG: Kalte Berechnung, #2)” as Want to Read:
Diabolus ex machina (Star Trek TNG: Kalte Berechnung, #2)

Diabolus ex machina

(Star Trek: The Next Generation)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,230 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Im Zentrum der Galaxis taucht eine gewaltige Maschine auf, groß wie ein Planet, und niemand weiß, woher sie gekommen ist. Ganze Sternensysteme stürzt sie in ein riesiges Schwarzes Loch. Die Enterprise-Crew findet den wahren Zweck der Maschine heraus – und sie stellt eine Bedrohung allen Lebens in der Galaxis dar. Als die Zeit immer knapper wird, begreift Picard, dass es nu ...more
Published August 31st 2015 by Cross Cult (first published January 2013)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Diabolus ex machina (Star Trek TNG: Kalte Berechnung, #2)
Alejandro
This is the third and final novel in the book event Cold Equations from Star Trek: The Next Generation that supposedly to be about the return of Data and his quest to find a way to resurrect his daughter, Lal.

Okay, first of all... why the heck is doing Worf in the cover?! He does some stuff in the story and there is a relevant moment about his Starfleet career but that's all. Hardly a reason to be pictured on the cover.

Wesley Crusher should be on the cover since it's his triumphant return to the
Jerry
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A crazy adventure for Picard and crew...but a fun one!
Carl Bussema
Why Worf is on the cover, I have no idea. They should have put WESLEY CRUSHER on the cover, because that's right kids, everyone's favorite Traveler is back!

And he's not bringing good news (duh). Turns out there's a machine at the center of the galaxy that's going to [science involving black holes] destroy the galaxy, soon. Aided by Wesley's ability to hyperwarp the ship, the Enterprise rushes out to investigate, and concludes that the machine was constructed by the same people who built V'Ger (S
Dan
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tng, star-trek, e-books
The Body Electric was a satisfying conclusion to the Cold Equations trilogy. Each entry in this trilogy almost represents a different "genre" of novel. The first, The Persistence of Memory, is a black-ops thriller with a bit of personal memoir thrown in. Book two, Silent Weapons, is more of a political/action thriller, while The Body Electric brings a hard sci-fi element to the story. My favourite entry in the series was Silent Weapons, as I'm a sucker for the political stuff. But The Body Elect ...more
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I'm not sure what to think here. The elements of the story all reach for an epic scale not seen since "Star Trek - The Motion Picture". The prose is wonderful, and I positively breezed through this novel in a matter of hours. But in the end, it still feels slightly less than the sum of its parts. It feels as if it should be MORE epic, MORE emotional, MORE terrifying than it is...and the rather pat ending certainly works against it. To say nothing of dispensing with ALL the Typhon Pact shenanigan ...more
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So David Mack might be my new fav Star Trek author- absolutely awesome epic stuff... Again!
C.T. Phipps
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
There are two kinds of Star Trek fans: those who like Wesley Crusher and those who don't. I, for those who wish to know, am one of the former.

I was a wee lad of seven when Star Trek: The Next Generation first came on screen. Despite this, I watched it religiously and thought Wesley was the bomb. There was no reason not to like Wesley since, of course, a fourteen-year-old kid could do everything an adult could do but better. That was just common sense (at my age)!

I suspect the older a Trek fan
Sue
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Geoffrey
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, unlike the first two in the Cold Equations, feels like a stand alone novel. In this series, there are two main plots and several side stories. There is the story of the conflict with the Breen and then Data's search for a way to resurrect Lal. In this novel, the former was wrapped up in the first few pages of the book to make way for a story line with Wesley Crusher and AI's who created V-ger, The Body Electric. The Data story line continues through this novel and integrates into this ...more
Glenn Crouch
Maybe I've come to expect too much from Mr Mack, but I think compared to the other books of his that I have read, this one didn't really come up to the standard I've come to expect.

Plus being a 3rd book in a trilogy, after I really enjoyed the 2nd book, this one just didn't have the intrigue and I found the resolution a bit disappointing even a bit anti-climatic.

It could be that the "enemy" in this story was just "too big" - I don't know - but I was really growing to like the "new" Data in the p
Derkanus
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This trilogy was the perfect soothing balm after the bitter disappointments of Picard and Discovery. I've been making my way through the relaunch novels here and there in completely random order, but every time David Mack is on the docket I am not disappointed.

This was a grand morality exploration and "work out our differences" story in the most epic scale imaginable, and told exceedingly well with masterful prose and a return of almost all the TNG characters you know and love (minus Riker and T
Christopher Lutz
Probably the weakest of the three books of this trilogy. Much like a serialized TV show, this trilogy was really three separate stories with a loose arc connecting them: the return of Data and his quest to resurrect his android daughter. This storyline is wrapped up as the Enterprise crew faces a massive machine capable of ending all life in the galaxy, created by the same race of machines referenced on Star Trek: The Motion Picture. It was a good story, but not nearly as entertaining as the sec ...more
Scott Williams
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this book is reminiscent of the TNG TV series. The universe is at stake and Data and Wesley manage to save it. David Mack does a great job with high stakes suspense. It’s just a very entertaining read.

My one criticism would be that Wesley sometimes sounds more like Wil Wheaton than Wesley Crusher.
Megan
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite of the trilogy. I enjoyed getting to learn more about the lives of the Travelers, which I have always found interesting, and was fun to watch two cultures arguing about the value of something when the definition of value differs so vastly between them. Plus, who doesn't appreciate a plot line that includes character development in an AI.
Sheryl
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
3rd time I've read the series

Know I'll come back for a fourth visit. To really understand Data and his father, look no further. It was also great to see the rest of the TNG family, including Wesley together again.

Anytime I see anything TNG by the author, I just click BUY.
Dan Kostelec
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great conclusion

I’m loving the continuing adventures of the Starship Enterprise and her crew. Data’s ongoing story is beautiful and tragic, and one I look forward to keep reading as the Star Trek expanded universe continues.
Tourma
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the third installment of this trilogy started slow, the conclusion was both surprising and fulfilling. Definitely read the first two first, but this is a good conclusion.

I've got a lot of catching up to do Star Trek-wise. This series got me interested.
Jennifer Freeman
No idea why worf is on the front cover, but a good read.
Enrico Patrizi
The book trilogy that makes nemesis's mess with Data right. Thanks for bringing me some closure :)
omiczech
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
After the Borg were defeated, what greater threat could be created? A galaxy killer! Beware of a doomsday machine with help of fanatical androids.
Doreen
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Needless to say... I love it!!!
Nicky2910
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Cold Equations: The Body Electric by David Mack Plot:Wesley, now a Traveler in his own right, discovers a terrifying machine at the galaxy's core, a machine which creates random wormholes and pulls entire star systems through it to feed a massive black hole. Neither the other Travelers nor Q can offer a solution, so he asks Picard for help in this crisis which could change, and destroy in the longterm, the whole galaxy.Meanwhile, Data is faced with a terrible choi ...more
Joseph Masiello
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers pretty much immediately!

Well, it happened again. David Mack wrote an incredible book, however, his story didn't really focus on the original plan Data set out to accomplish. Instead he put forth a massive sci-fi adventure that was, to me, fantastic! I will agree with other reviews that the name of the main 'villain' is rather uninspired. "The Machine." Not to original considering it was an enormous planet size machine. Take it or leave it. It didn't really bother me.

On its own this nove
Maurice Jr.
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen
Bad news. There's a planet-sized machine with a companion black hole ominously named "Abaddon" using artificial wormholes to suck entire star systems into its maw. Worse news: the machine is a Borg-like collective of artificial intelligence systems with a serious attitude problem regarding organic lifeforms. To wit, it wants us all dead, and when it collides itself with the supermassive black hole at the heart of the Milky Way, dead we shall be. It's up to Captain Jean-Luc Picard to somehow find ...more
Jimyanni
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This story was well-written, but the basic plotline was one of those that I've never cared for: Enterprise and its crew (whether the original Kirk-captained Enterprise, or the Next Generation Enterprise captained by Picard) is faced with a situation in which they must succeed or all life in the entire Galaxy will die. (Not much of an improvement in the similar stories in which they only need to save the Earth, but this definitely takes the stakes up a few notches even from that.) And, of course, ...more
Paul Lunger
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The finale to David Mack's Cold Equations trilogy, "The Body Electric" is pretty much a standalone story from the trilogy itself save the continuing Data sub-plot that has run throughout this series. The main storyline involves a machine at the center of the Milky Way galaxy that Wesley Crusher stumbles onto & realizes that it is in the process of destroying entire star systems & possibly the entire galaxy. With no luck from his fellow Travelers, he takes the advice of Q & enlists the help of Pi ...more
Shane Amazon
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although both previous books had enough loose story threads to dedicate a third book to just those threads, Body Electric goes far beyond what was left behind and introduces the reader to an equally impressive story. In this, the final, installment the story takes from the TV series and puts our favorite characters against a once historic enemy. Using both guile and technology from stories past, the crew find a way to save the galaxy in zero hour.

In book one we were introduced to Data's quest to
Richard
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent sequel, both in terms of story and theme, to The Persistence of Memory. (It's supposed to be a sequel to Silent Weapons but that book has no real link to the others in the trilogy). The plot is very Star Trek: alien supercomputers programmed to destroy out of cold logic are a Trek motif, and the book acknowledges its debt to the Motion Picture.

Star Trek has never been hard scifi but the super science here is at least consistent and doesn't devolve into Treknobable. The philosophical arg
« previous 1 3 next »
Star Trek Reads: CE3: The Body Electric 1 14 Mar 17, 2013 12:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix 6 202 Dec 28, 2012 09:42AM

• The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Peaceable Kingdoms (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Hell's Heart (Star Trek: Prey #1)
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: A Time to... #1)
  • By the Book (Star Trek: Enterprise #2)
  • The Missing
  • Star Trek The Next Generation: Slings and Arrows, Book 1: A Sea of Troubles
  • Watching the Clock (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #1)
  • A Time to Die (Star Trek: A Time to... #2)
David Mack is the New York Times bestselling author of more than thirty novels of science-fiction, fantasy, and adventure, including the Star Trek Destiny and Cold Equations trilogies.

Beyond novels, Mack's writing credits span several media, including television (for produced episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), film, and comic books.

Follow him on Twitter @davidalanmack or join his fans on Fac

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)

News & Interviews