Start by marking “Outcast: A Short Story” as Want to Read:
Outcast: A Short Story

Outcast: A Short Story

Imagine being struck with the inability to communicate. How would you adapt to a world in which you could no longer participate? Frances finds herself in a state of social exile, and discovers the limitation and freedom of her new reality.
Published August 31st 2015 by Andrea McKenzie Raine (first published August 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Outcast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outcast

Start your review of Outcast: A Short Story
Paul E. Morph
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Paul by: Erma Talamante
I fancied reading a short story, so I trawled through my GR recommendations and came across this one. It was only 99p in the Kindle store, so I bought it and tucked in.

This is a tale of social isolation and how the people and things that are closest to us in life can make us feel most alone. It's a sad story but also contains moments of humour and conflict. I really enjoyed it.
Richard
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The War & Peace of Andrea McKenzie Raine's short stories; this is one is about 15 pages long.
Outcast is about a woman's middle aged crisis. Her married life had been successful with her place cemented as the head of the home, nurturing and directing her children while being influential in the development of her relationship with her husband who was equally under her influence.
How things have changed, and the catylist to revealing this inbalance and new reality are changes at work that come to ah
Joshua Grant
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Outcast is a story that went back and forth for me. Raine does a great job with her descriptions and hitting me in the heart. The plot took an interesting turn part way through allowing for a fascinating look at what is really important in life. I struggled a little bit with the very angry main character, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying Raine’s exploration of communication, society, and just life in general.
Erma Talamante
I really liked this one, though I thought it ended a bit abruptly (hence the 4-star rating). It is a quick read, but one that will stay with you a little after reading. And with my own background in Psychology, I was able to recall symptoms of aphasia and mental breakdown, and enjoyed the realistic representation of a sufferer of both.

Frances is a dedicated mother, loving wife, and hard worker. Stuck in a life that has ceased to value her, or worry itself with her needs, she is left simply going
Beth Hale
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Outcast tells the story of a woman who falls over the edge into a mental breakdown. The imagery brought this story home for me. It's short and to the point, and you can feel the emotions swirling through the pages. I enjoyed reading it, and the only reason I'm giving it 4 stars and not 5 is because I wanted a bit more closure to the story. It ended a little abruptly for me, but overall the story is fantastic.
Genevieve Bomes
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story of a woman's social isolation and of all of our own isolation from the world. How we can be together but not see each other or hear each other. It was a very well written story.
Linda Wells
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Frances has a tense meeting with her boss, who unfairly criticizes her work and makes her feel “deflated and frustrated.” She’d been given a new assignment, and she’d worked hard on it, while others sat at their desks, doing nothing. But apparently she hadn't done enough to please her boss. Her job feels like a trap. “They were all kept in little open cages, she thought. Little open cages adorned with homey touches; small, calming knick-knacks and photos-portals to the outside world, reminders o ...more
A.G.
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my review of Outcast from my blog
I purchases it so here is my honest review. On Amazon, I gave it four stars. I liked the story, just wish it had been longer. A pretty well written book about a woman (Francis) on the verge of a mental collapse due to perceived problems at home. She believes her husband is cheating on her and her two teenage children give her nothing but grief.
The tipping point of her mental state occurred when the boss called her into his office for a meeting. He was no
Amelyn Randall
DNF at 28%

I just wasn't in the right headspace for this short story at this time.
Claire
Nov 08, 2015
Robert Dylan
Sep 09, 2015
Andrea
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: published
Matthew Hartnett
Sep 02, 2018
Charlie Hasler
Sep 03, 2018
Andrea McKenzie Raine was born in Smithers, BC and grew up in Victoria, BC where she still resides. She was enrolled in the Creative Writing program and earned a B.A. in English Literature at the University of Victoria in 2000, and completed a post-degree Public Relations certificate program. She has attended the successful Planet Earth Poetry reading series (formerly known as Mocambopo) in Victor ...more