Start by marking “Rune of the Apprentice” as Want to Read:
Rune of the Apprentice

Rune of the Apprentice

(The Rune Chronicles #1)

In a world where magic, technology, and nature have merged, the few who can control Runes hold dominance over all of creation. All believe that Aleksi, a sixteen-year-old orphan, was blessed to be born with a Rune embedded in his palm, but that’s only because they don’t know the truth―Aleksi’s Rune is so powerful it’s killing him.

Asura, a brutal emperor who uses Runes to c
Pre-order, Pre-order, 500 pages
Published by Inkshares (first published November 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rune of the Apprentice, please sign up.
Selena Maytum It's really not! The main character is pretty cool, and the supporting characters are fascinating.

Jamison Stone
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Epic Fiction and/or Fantacy
Shelves: favorites
Warms my heart to see all these positive review posted here and on Amazon. Words cannot describe the joy I feel when learning of a new reader who resonates so deeply with my story and its characters. RUNE was a labor of love and I am filled with such gratitude knowing that people are enjoying reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all for making this experience possible not only for me, but each and every reader, too.

Thanks,
Jamison Stone
Patricia Hamill
Oct 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Well, I’m about halfway through the book now and it isn’t getting better. I tried, but it’s one non-stop eye roll for me. I may finish it, but only out of a sense of determination rather than any real curiosity or engagement with the characters or their plight.

So, let me start with what I did like. I liked the idea of the book. The description was intriguing, a boy born with a rune that could as easily kill him as grant him unheard of powers. I also liked Domadred, the pirate, and his crew. Inte
Dave
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What begins as a standard "runaway apprentice off to fulfill his destiny" story quickly becomes an engaging story filled with magic, swordplay, and even pirates! The world that Stone has imagined is vast, the political webs complex, and the interaction between the gods, magic, and men is well thought out and well described.

All the characters introduced have had considerable depth to them, and you don't feel like any of them are just going along for the ride. This first volume ends with a conside
J-F Dubeau
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stone has crafted an exciting fantasy epic set in a mysterious world of intrigue and adventure. Intricately written and populated with characters we not only root for but also deeply identify with, Rune is constructed with tangible enthusiasm that pours from every page. The flowing prose is experienced rather than read—and done so with vivid clarity. I’m highly anticipating the next in the series!
Rick Heinz
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was asked to read the book ahead of time prior to release, and found it an easy task to do. I'm a huge fan of epic fantasy to begin with, so a slow intro for world building doesn't really bother me much. What kept me turning page to page in the story was the detail that went into the ocean faring adventure. Without spoilers, rather than a ground based epic fantasy, the majority of this book takes place on the open seas, and one a single ship, the Domadred. It's a pretty interesting way to hand ...more
Matthew
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamison Stone has created an enthralling read with a truly compelling cast of characters. For Rune of the Apprentice, it’s the storytelling and the character development within a fully realized world that sets Stone’s story apart. We have a young hero fighting for his own survival, his greatest threat an ancient power within him. But it’s the fantastic secondary characters that will have scores of readers eagerly turning the pages. A seafaring adventure with masterful descriptions of the ship an ...more
David
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was immediately captivated by the world created by Stone; the world of a teenage boy, Aleksi, cast out of innocence into the machinations of adult politics and manipulation. Aleski is forced into a life of danger, uncertainty and the possibility for a hopeful, better future. He has the skills and the magic, does he have the courage?
Everdeen Mason
I almost stopped reading after the first chapter or so but decided to plow through, because I'm a big fantasy fan and this book seemed to have a lot of the trappings of the books I like. It did not get better. There were many problems, but my main issue were the characters. He described differences between people by their eyes, which was repetitive and also a poor way of addressing socio-political differences between groups of people. Additionally, the sole defining trait of every woman in the b ...more
Ricardo Henriquez
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jamison Stone’s novel, Rune of The Apprentice, presents the reader with a detailed and beautifully crafted new world. The descriptions of Terra’s geography and its inhabitants are so vivid that I could easily imagine myself walking through the avenues, squares, and marketplaces of Mindra’s Haven. But this book is not only about a well-crafted fantastic world. Probably one of Stone’s biggest achievements is his capacity to portrait his hero’s internal struggle. Aleksi is young, powerful and good ...more
Peter Ryan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamison Stone has created a world of fantasy that can be matched by few others. His characters vibrate with life and the tension he creates is palpable. The story weaves its way through land and over sea, focusing on an ultimate adventure that is sure to be cataclysmic. I barnstormed through Rune of the Apprentice in a matter of hours and I'm desperately wanting to read the next in the series. Put this book in your 'must read' box!
AudioBookReviewer
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
My original Rune of the Apprentice audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Rune of the Apprentice is the first novel in a series called Rune Chronicles by Jamison Stone. Aleksi was born with a rune on his palm in a world where control of runes imparts extreme power. Those who can control runes become powerful and can control others. However, Aleksi's instructors don’t know that his rune is so powerful that the awakening power is slowly killing him. Thus, to save his l
Tamara
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was complex--both in plot and world-building. I truly enjoyed reading it and am eager to read the next installment. My reason for not giving this five stars is that I've always been taught to show the reader, not tell the reader, and to me there seemed a slight excess of adjectives used in the writing that at times jarred me out of the story.
Michael Haase
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
An epic fantasy crafted with care and precision. Definitely worth a read.
Elizabeth Metzger
Dec 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tried-to-read
I met Jamison at my local Comic Con. I was impressed by his dedication to promoting his first work, especially since my town is pretty out of the way and the Con was pretty small. His genuine excitement to share his novel with others was plain to see and it made me excited to sit down and start reading Rune of the Apprentice. However, the fact that it was completed in just 10 months really shows.

I was intrigued by the world and the overall concept of the story. You can tell every detail was thou
Clabe Polk
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An apprentice practitioner of magic with powers he does not understand, a master who has abandoned him, a price on his head, an evil master who threatens him, a beautiful high priestess and a displaced but capable and honorable pirate who saves him…what more could a fantasy fan want in a book?

Rune of the Apprentice is a classic good-v-evil fantasy tale in which the rulership of the known world is sought by the powers of darkness. Aleksi is a young apprentice born with rune imbedded in his hand.
Lenora Good
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
First off, let me say I enjoyed the book. I found many nits with it, and have informed the publisher. If you want my full review, including nits, please go to Rainy Day Reads at www.lenoragood.blogspot.com.

Legalities first: I received a free electronic copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Stone has done a marvelous job of world building. If I didn't think he did a good job, I would not have spent the time documenting the nits, and informing his publisher.

Aleksi, our Hero, is on a
Peter Lipphardt
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
The world building in this novel is quite good. It feels like a lot of time was dedicated to crafting the setting, and it is probably the strongest element of the book. It gives you a great sense of immersion.

The characters are fine, although a few verge on tropes, but their dialogue and interactions are enjoyable and felt quite natural, which is something I look for in a good fantasy novel.

The biggest issue I have is the overuse of adjectives in the novel. Specifically, whenever dialogue is n
Shari Sakurai
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed reading Rune of the Apprentice which is the first novel in The Rune Chronicles series. The story follows young apprentice Aleksi who was born with a rune on his palm; a rune that will grant him with a vast power, if it doesn’t end up killing him first.

The world building in Rune of the Apprentice is excellent. The author has gone to a lot of trouble and taken much time to craft his universe and all the characters wit
Tyler Sparrow
The book has all of the ingredients needed to be great, but doesn't quite deliver. It's an interesting read and a great idea, but it needs work.

The setting is fantastic and well thought out, but there is much too much exposition and internal monologue.

There are some loose ends left open by the end of the book, and while I'm aware this is the first in a series, I feel things were foreshadowed and promised for this book that weren't delivered to the readers.

While the setting is unique and intrigu
Alan White
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rune of the Apprentice is Jamison Stone’s first novel, and the first installment of The Rune Chronicles. It is an epic-fantasy, and Jamison deftly spins a compelling tale of adventure, and skillfully propels the reader (or listener, with an outstanding version of the Audible App) through page after page of drama, the magic of runes, and even the philosophical disciplines of empire building. He creates characters full of depth and purpose, and his descriptive prose envelopes you. He genuinely see ...more
Jayrchase
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The story feels familiar in some respects, young apprentice has to leave the fold because of threats from the dark side. Along the way, he finds friends and foes. Stories fit a relatively small range of archetypes, but what sets them apart is how well the characters are written and how well the story holds your interest. In that regard, Mr. Stone has done quite well. I started out a bit distracted by his ornate descriptions, but once I got to relate to the characters, they ceased to intrude. The ...more
Selena Maytum
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a little apprehensive to read this book as it seemed more "fantasy" than my normal tastes. I was quickly enthralled with the story and finished the book within 48 hours. Although the main character, Aleksi, is the obvious focus of the story, I was especially overjoyed with Stone's detail in describing the world he created for this tale, the fascinating and larger-than-life cast of supporting characters, and the "Dreamworld" that Aleksi journeys into. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I hi ...more
Brian Guthrie
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rune is an intricate tale set in an even more intricate world that begs you to sip deeper on the hearty ale this story is. Jamison Stone weaves this tale like a master artist crafting the finest tapestry. Take your time, let the world and characters waft around you, drawing you in. You'll be very glad you did.
Dan Parrott
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
For a first book this is very good. Over all I would say average. The editing should have been better.
The world and characters Jamison Stone created are really good and has a lot of potential.
I am looking forward to the second book.
Denise
Enjoyed reading this fantasy. Teen tries to discover his past, his future, and who he is all while trying to deal with the problems of his world. All of this shrouded in magic and mystery and the fact that he seems to be the ordained savior of them all. A lot of pressure to put on one teen. Can't wait to see how he survives.
Tal M. Klein
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jamison Stone presents us with a fresh, superbly crafted fantasy epic that conquers both world and character building. Rune is tantalizing to the imagination, and invigorating for the soul.
Nathan Huff
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been given an edited updated copy and after reading it I have found that it is much improved and the story arc is enjoyable. Best of luck in future books
Judith
Would someone please give him a thesaurus. I fear that I may have developed a conditioned twitch in response to the words "luminous" and "numinous". I couldn't finish this.
Alan
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rune of the Apprentice is the first book for author Jamison Stone and it is a fast read with an engaging story. For a first novel, his writing style is very mature and it pulled me through the story in a fantasy world of his creation with swords and sailing ships, but also with some powerful magic based on runes.

The main character, Aleksi, is fleshed out well as a youth apprenticed to the Masters who know the knowledge of the day and control the rune magic in the world. His character continues
David
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I generally read established authors, I'm not averse to giving new authors a try. I met Jamison Stone at Balticon and was intrigued by the world so I bought his book and promised a review (which I normally do anyways).

The book is far from perfect, but does a decent job at telling an interesting story. The setting, which is usually what I value most, is quite cool and I want to learn more about Terra, Runes, and all the strange things of this world. Plot-wise the book has some quirks and c
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Hexes for the Modern Age: Contemporary Curses for the People Who Irritate You the Most
  • Threads of the Past: Stories of Pioneer Women and Their Quilts
  • The Sword of Midras (Shroud of the Avatar #1)
  • Reskilling America: Learning to Labor in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Widening Gyre
  • Ambition Addiction: How to Go Slow, Give Thanks, and Discover Joy Within
  • Dragon Mound (Knight in Shadow, #1)
  • Cave of the Kobolds
  • Starfinder: Book One of the Skylords
  • Pathfinder Tales: Called to Darkness
  • Larry Goes To Space
  • Supercharged Juice & Smoothie Recipes: Your Ultra-Healthy Plan for Weight-Loss, Detox, Beauty and More Using Green Vegetables, Powders and Super-Supplements
  • Little Book of Dream Symbols: The Essential Guide to Over 700 of the Most Common Dreams
  • Blossoms: And the Genes That Make Them
  • Pathfinder Tales: The Redemption Engine
  • Project Anastasis
  • Salisbury Affair (Edward Ware Thrillers #2)
  • Naked As We Came (The Cassidy Tomei Chronicles, #1)
Jamison Stone is the author of "Rune of the Apprentice" an Fantasy/Sci-Fi novel and "The Last Amazon" published by Apotheosis Studios. To learn more go to: www.ApotheosisStudios.com or click the link here on Goodreads.

Jamison Stone was born in Massachusetts and raised throughout New England on a healthy diet of magic, martial arts, and meditation. He lives with a loving wife and wolf, but expects