Start by marking “Hamilton: The Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  34,804 ratings  ·  4,507 reviews
Lin-Manuel Miranda's groundbreaking musical Hamilton is as revolutionary as its subject, the poor kid from the Caribbean who fought the British, defended the Constitution, and helped to found the United States. Fusing hip-hop, pop, R&B, and the best traditions of theater, this once-in-a-generation show broadens the sound of Broadway, reveals the storytelling power of r ...more
Published April 12th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hamilton, please sign up.
Aaron 1. Listen to the musical soundtrack once through.
2. Read through the book, listening to the music along with reading the annotations for each song.
3.…more
1. Listen to the musical soundtrack once through.
3. Listen to the musical soundtrack on repeat.
4. See the show!
5. Listen to the musical soundtrack on repeat.(less)
Stef Like Marianne said, it's both. The text version of the musical is mainly the song lyrics in script form with footnotes from Miranda sharing extra…moreLike Marianne said, it's both. The text version of the musical is mainly the song lyrics in script form with footnotes from Miranda sharing extra tidbits about certain lines. These are very cool! :)

The chapters that precede them each have something to do with the songs, such as explaining background stories about the songs, the musical itself, and the cast pertaining to those particular songs. There's like a chapter dedicated to one, two, three, maybe four songs, depending on the theme, and the book contains the entire musical. In addition, there is also additional behind the scenes information in there. :) (less)

·  34,804 ratings  ·  4,507 reviews

Vαɴιllα ●sometimes a dream is enough ●
Feb 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: everyone
I won't be in the room where it happens, but at least I'll still be satisfied.
rebecca ɤ
Beautiful and awe inspiring. This shows the amount of hard work and determination and pure unadulterated stubbornness that went into this musical. Lin continues to inspire me daily and this book just gave me even more insight on his thought process. My love for this musical knows no bounds, but i didn't think that reading the lyrics and annotations of songs that I listen over 100 times would affect me but yes they still had me in tears. I love the numerous passages we get on the wonderful actors ...more
Maureen
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm really emotional don't toUCH ME.
This book is phenomenal and hearing more about how Hamilton came to be has made me love it even more. I NEEDED TO SEE IT BEFORE BUT I DEFINITELY NEED TO SEE IT NOW.
If you love Hamilton you should definitely read this, but even if you don't love Hamilton you will have a new appreciation for it after reading this book.
BUT WARNING THERE ARE A LOT OF EMOTIONS I CRIED A FEW TIMES okay maybe I mostly cried reading annotations on the songs that are sad because emotio
Whitney Atkinson
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
oh me oh my this was a journey. i definitely choked up reading about who lives who dies who tells your story. it's just really touching to see the extent of how much of lin's heart and soul went into hamilton, and this book made me so much more thankful for it. i loved the lyric annotations, both the nerdy historical ones and the more lighthearted asides. but that's where the issue lies: i almost entirely only cared about the lyric annotations. the short inserted essays (stories? interviews?) be ...more
Iris P

photo 150209_r26101-320-240-28175947_zpsjusgdxqh.jpg
Lin-Manuel Miranda- composer/lyricist/rapper & creator of Hamilton: The Revolution

*********************************************
“Every other founding father gets old, every other gets to grow old.
But when you’re gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame?
Who tells your story”.

From the song "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
*********************************************

Important note: My review covers both the audiobook and hardcover versions of this
Jessica
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Lin-Manuel Miranda in the summer of 2008.

I’ve never been a huuuuge musical theater nerd, but I do follow it somewhat casually and that summer, I listened to practically nothing but the cast album for Lin’s Tony-winning first musical, In the Heights. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard before, but it was magical.

I don't know anyone else who's really even familiar with the show, but it’s what I was listening to while I was making the move from my small town in Ohio to the s
Elyse Walters
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
New news: This production is coming to San Francisco... Paul is going to get us tickets!!!!
Excited!

A hip hop twist.....
......musical theater with a rap! "To and for each other.....How lucky we are to be alive"!
Inspiring creations.....
The show is about the builders, carpenters, the story behind the music and lyrics, the crew, actors, singers, dancers, the scenic designers, the choreographer, the director, the history, .....the musical performance.

I haven't seen this show -listened to the music
ambsreads
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, books-i-own
This is honestly a work of art. It is on the same level as the musical itself. Reading Lin's thoughts and footnotes throughout the songs was a gift in itself. The whole book is a piece of art — literally, it's beautiful. I highly recommend this for any Hamilton fans because wow.
Lucía
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DAMN SON. THIS WAS SO GOOOOOOOOD.
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Hamilton, the consummate wordsmith, would doubtless have words for this.

I have none.
Darwin8u
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Sometimes the right person tells the right story at the right moment, and though a combination of luck and design, a creative expression gains new force. Spark, tinder, breeze."
― Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy MCarter

description

I remember watching Lin-Manuel Miranda perform at the White House Poetry Jam back in 2009 on YouTube. I know it sounds cliched and probably a bit overplayed to say I knew from 2009 that something great was going to be made from this magical moment. There was an energy in this son o
Lily ☁️
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, plays
How am I supposed to write a review for Hamilton: The Revolution, if all I want to do is hug it to my chest and never let go? (rtc)

“Can I be real a second?
For just a millisecond?
Let down my guard and tell the people how I feel a second?”

I am very tempted to give this book five stars in advance, because I have so much love in my (view spoiler) heart for Lin-Manuel Miranda and his masterwork Hamilton that I might just burst into tears, or spontaneously combust
Rachel
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HAVE YOU READ THIS???
Polly
❝Inevitable in retrospect but unprecedented and all but I M P O S S I B L E to imagine at the time.❞

Such a beautiful and inspiring book. I want to read it over and over on the off chance that even the tiniest fraction of positivity, determination and creativity might rub of on me.
Marina
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, favorite, own
I'm so greedy.

Even before I finished reading the book, I just kept going "more, more, more, I need more." Not because there wasn't enough information, pictures, or details, but because every single page just made me want more.

And Hamilton: The Revolution does provide everything you may want to know about the conception, creation, birth, and production of Hamilton the Musical. It's an in-depth look at the behind scenes for just about every aspect of the show: how Lin-Manuel came up with the idea
K.
I hereby award this book ten million stars and a book hangover.

Seriously, if I could give it every damned star in the cosmos, I would. This is honestly the most beautiful book I've ever seen in my life. The way they've tried to make it look like an eighteenth century book is A+. The texture and quality of the paper is wonderful. The photographs are astonishingly gorgeous and give you a real sense of how the show is staged and choreographed.

It took me days to read this, despite it being less th
Petra
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a musical type of person, I've never seen one in my life. I've been hearing about Hamilton everywhere, how great it was how no one could get tickets. I thought that if I lived in New York I would probably go see it. Then a few months later I was on Youtube and I came across James Corden's carpool karaoke with LMM.

And thought the song was pretty catchy so I checked out the soundtrack and I suddenly I’m
Helpless!

There are moments that the words don’t reach , and this is one of them, to
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Edit:*This play is so relevant to our world right now. This country has been a place where "A place where even orphan immigrants can leave their fingerprints and rise up" since the day we've been founded. Why should that ever change? The fact that people are calling for a boycott of this play is complete idiocy. The only people who are calling for one are those who support the hate and the racism in the first place. How about we try our best to not let them EVER win?*

From the moment that my sist
A Bookish ✧ Fable
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story..?
Stacee
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is perfection. I loved getting behind the scenes things, staged photos, and most of all Lin's annotations and photos of his journals.
Heatherblakely
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TO THE REVOLUTION!

Oh man.

I had friends telling me to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack for months before I finally did, and I was completely blown away once I acquiesced. The music was incredible, and the fact that most parts were played by people of color made me so incredibly happy. When the show was extended, I bought a ticket (three more months!) and I hope to see it when it's here in LA as well. The musical has been a game-changer, not only because of the music and casting, but because of
Taryn Pierson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE 1/22/17: Sooo because this world is crazy and sometimes dreams do come true, I saw Hamilton on Broadway last week. :O You can read about our trip here, if you're into that. (We stayed in a hotel that used to be a library!)

Hamilton: The Revolution, which tells the story of the musical from its inception through its current Broadway run, has just the kind of fun, conversational tone I was hoping for. It makes you feel like an insider, which is exactly what fans like me who aren't going to g
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My initial thoughts after finishing:

If I'm being completely honest, I was mostly in it for Lin's annotations, for the lyrics combined in a pretty books and for the photos, of course. I just thought I'd let myself be surprised by the rest, whatever it was. And surprise me it did.
I did not expect this to be as emotional as it was. Actually, I didn't expect it to be emotional at all. Interesting, yes. Emotional, nope.
I should've known better honestly, since the songs by themselves already most un
Ashley
This is an excellent book that all fans of Hamilton should read. Reading it gave me a fuller experience of the musical, it was fun to see behind the scenes stories, and Lin's notes were always interesting. I cried while reading it (the same part I cry at while listening), and spent about a week listening to nothing but the soundtrack on a loop.

So why no five stars?

Like Aaron Burr, I want more. I'm never going to see the musical in person, or if I do, it's going to be years from now with a new ca
Leona  Carstairs
I had tears in my eyes as I read this.

This book, like the musical itself, is a work of art. It's given me a new perspective on my favorite musical of all time, and definitely enriched my experience. It made me emotional, it made me scream and fangirl, it made me think deep and profound thoughts. It was just incredible. It is 111% worth it to read for Hamilfans, you will walk away with a deeper understanding of this life-changing musical.

I LOVE EVERYSINGLEFUCKINGTHING ABOUT THIS. All the notes t
Sara
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before we begin this review I'm going to take a moment and get up on my theatre snob (that is the required spelling for all theatre snob's thank you very much) soap box and make a declaration;

Lin-Manuel Miranda is the next Stephen Sondheim.

I'm not comparing them, that would be stupid except in the sense that not since Sondheim has there been another composer and lyricist who has woven more complex and beautiful songs or seen more clearly into the darkest, most hidden parts of the soul. If you've
Sesana
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
If, like me, you're a die-hard Hamilton fan who rarely listens to anything but now, this is a must buy. But let's be real, you probably already bought it. Isn't it great? If you like Hamilton but aren't in love with it, or if you're interested in the creative processes behind this musical in particular or musicals in general, this is still a must read, but maybe try before you buy.

You get the complete lyrics, including the one scene not on the album. You get tons of pictures, including some that
Linda
My 12-year old daughter is way into Hamilton. She knows the words to all the songs, devours anything that Lin-Manuel touches, has read Alex and Eliza, and this book, both in audio and hardcover format.

Hamilton is playing in San Francisco, but I told her that we'd have to wait five years or so until it becomes more affordable. But they have that fantastic Ham4Ham promotion (Hamilton for a Hamilton [$10]), Lin's genius lottery that makes theater accessible to the people. So why not? I started ente
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I just devoured this in one sitting! The liner notes and stories about how the show came together we're all fascinating to me, as I've been a rabid fan for the last year. This book had a few stories that felt dense or like they just existed to take up space, and some of the actual writing (of the background stories, not lyrics) felt simplistic. Thats why I'm not giving this 5 stars.

'Hamilton' itself gets 5 stars from me every time, and I am very happy I read this! Fascinating insight into the st
Book Riot Community
If you are like me, you have not yet been lucky enough to see Hamilton on Broadway, but you have listened to the hell out of the cast recording. (WORK!) Or maybe you have already been lucky enough to breathe the same air as the cast. Either way, this book is an in-depth look at the musical for all fans, and includes photos and the entire libretto, complete with footnotes from Miranda. How lucky we are to be alive right now!

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The
  • Finishing the Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1954-1981, With Attendant Comments, Principles, Heresies, Grudges, Whines, and Anecdotes
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Dear Evan Hansen: Through the Window
  • March: Book Three (March, #3)
  • Aaron and Alexander: The Most Famous Duel in American History
  • Theater Geek: The Real Life Drama of a Summer at Stagedoor Manor, the Famous Performing Arts Camp
  • Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics
  • The World Only Spins Forward: The Ascent of Angels in America
  • Why We March: Signs of Protest and Hope
  • The Secret Life of the American Musical: How Broadway Shows Are Built
  • Jane Austen Cover to Cover: 200 Years of Classic Book Covers
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Life Is Like a Musical: How Broadway Can Help You Live Your Best Life
  • The Fifty-Year Mission: The Complete, Uncensored, Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek-The First 25 Years
  • Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song
  • Isaac the Alchemist: Secrets of Isaac Newton, Reveal'd
  • Lafayette in the Somewhat United States
  • Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (With a Few Flat Tires Along the Way)
Lin-Manuel Miranda is a composer, lyricist, writer, rapper, and actor. He is an award-winning artist (including: Tony, Grammy, Pulitzer Prize, and MacArthur "Genius" Award) known for In the Heights (composer-lyricist, actor) and Hamilton (book, music and lyrics, in addition to playing the title role).
“[BURR]
I am the one thing in life I can control.”
288 likes