Start by marking “Hamilton: The Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.47  ·  Rating details ·  38,100 ratings  ·  4,868 reviews
Lin-Manuel Miranda's groundbreaking musical Hamilton is as revolutionary as its subject, the poor kid from the Caribbean who fought the British, defended the Constitution, and helped to found the United States. Fusing hip-hop, pop, R&B, and the best traditions of theater, this once-in-a-generation show broadens the sound of Broadway, reveals the storytelling power of rap, and ...more
Published April 12th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hamilton, please sign up.
Aaron 1. Listen to the musical soundtrack once through.
1. Listen to the musical soundtrack once through.
2. Read through the book, listening to the music along with reading the annotations for each song.
3. Listen to the musical soundtrack on repeat.
4. See the show!
5. Listen to the musical soundtrack on repeat.(less)
Stef Like Marianne said, it's both. The text version of the musical is mainly the song lyrics in script form with footnotes from Miranda sharing extra…moreLike Marianne said, it's both. The text version of the musical is mainly the song lyrics in script form with footnotes from Miranda sharing extra tidbits about certain lines. These are very cool! :)

The chapters that precede them each have something to do with the songs, such as explaining background stories about the songs, the musical itself, and the cast pertaining to those particular songs. There's like a chapter dedicated to one, two, three, maybe four songs, depending on the theme, and the book contains the entire musical. In addition, there is also additional behind the scenes information in there. :) (less)

·  38,100 ratings  ·  4,868 reviews

Start your review of Hamilton: The Revolution
Vαɴιllα ●sometimes a dream is enough ●
Feb 19, 2016 marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: everyone
I won't be in the room where it happens, but at least I'll still be satisfied.
rebecca ɤ
Beautiful and awe inspiring. This shows the amount of hard work and determination and pure unadulterated stubbornness that went into this musical. Lin continues to inspire me daily and this book just gave me even more insight on his thought process. My love for this musical knows no bounds, but i didn't think that reading the lyrics and annotations of songs that I listen over 100 times would affect me but yes they still had me in tears. I love the numerous passages we get on the wonderful actors ...more
Maureen
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm really emotional don't toUCH ME.
This book is phenomenal and hearing more about how Hamilton came to be has made me love it even more. I NEEDED TO SEE IT BEFORE BUT I DEFINITELY NEED TO SEE IT NOW.
If you love Hamilton you should definitely read this, but even if you don't love Hamilton you will have a new appreciation for it after reading this book.
BUT WARNING THERE ARE A LOT OF EMOTIONS I CRIED A FEW TIMES okay maybe I mostly cried reading annotations on the songs that are
Whitney Atkinson
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
oh me oh my this was a journey. i definitely choked up reading about who lives who dies who tells your story. it's just really touching to see the extent of how much of lin's heart and soul went into hamilton, and this book made me so much more thankful for it. i loved the lyric annotations, both the nerdy historical ones and the more lighthearted asides. but that's where the issue lies: i almost entirely only cared about the lyric annotations. the short inserted essays (stories? interviews?) be ...more
Iris P

photo 150209_r26101-320-240-28175947_zpsjusgdxqh.jpg
Lin-Manuel Miranda- composer/lyricist/rapper & creator of Hamilton: The Revolution

*********************************************
“Every other founding father gets old, every other gets to grow old.
But when you’re gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame?
Who tells your story”.

From the song "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
*********************************************

Important note: My review covers both the audiobook and hardcover versions of this title.

Intitle.
Story"
ImportantRevolution
“Every ...more
Jessica Jeffers
I fell in love with Lin-Manuel Miranda in the summer of 2008.

I’ve never been a huuuuge musical theater nerd, but I do follow it somewhat casually and that summer, I listened to practically nothing but the cast album for Lin’s Tony-winning first musical, In the Heights. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard before, but it was magical.

I don't know anyone else who's really even familiar with the show, but it’s what I was listening to while I was making the move from my small town in Ohio to the suburbs
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
New news: This production is coming to San Francisco... Paul is going to get us tickets!!!!
Excited!

A hip hop twist.....
......musical theater with a rap! "To and for each other.....How lucky we are to be alive"!
Inspiring creations.....
The show is about the builders, carpenters, the story behind the music and lyrics, the crew, actors, singers, dancers, the scenic designers, the choreographer, the director, the history, .....the musical performance.

I haven't seen th
Lucía
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
DAMN SON. THIS WAS SO GOOOOOOOOD.
ambsreads
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, books-i-own
This is honestly a work of art. It is on the same level as the musical itself. Reading Lin's thoughts and footnotes throughout the songs was a gift in itself. The whole book is a piece of art — literally, it's beautiful. I highly recommend this for any Hamilton fans because wow.
Brina
The last six weeks of the year are here. Time to check off the boxes of challenges and to plan for next year. For the second year in a row, I didn’t participate in any challenges or games except for the nonfiction book club’s group reading challenge, freeing me to read books of personal interest. Yet, determined to rack up group points as quickly as possible, one area of my reading has fallen by the wayside: Pulitzer winners. Each year I make it a point to read twenty Pulitzer winners across the ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Hamilton, the consummate wordsmith, would doubtless have words for this.

I have none.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I have officially been revolutionalized and lemme tell you this Kool Aid is DELICIOUS! To be honest, since I have a theater/choir kid in my house I have been living The Hamilton Experience for quite some time now – I just never felt the need to become fully indoctrinated until I knew the traveling show would be coming to town. Unfortunately, I wasn’t aware that when the show finally was approaching the ticket prices would be so astron
Darwin8u
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Sometimes the right person tells the right story at the right moment, and though a combination of luck and design, a creative expression gains new force. Spark, tinder, breeze."
― Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy MCarter

description

I remember watching Lin-Manuel Miranda perform at the White House Poetry Jam back in 2009 on YouTube. I know it sounds cliched and probably a bit overplayed to say I knew from 2009 that something great was going to be made from this magical moment. There was an energy in this son of Puerto Rican-born pa
Rachel
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
HAVE YOU READ THIS???
Lily ☁️
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, play
How am I supposed to write a review for Hamilton: The Revolution, if all I want to do is hug it to my chest and never let go? (rtc)

“Can I be real a second?
For just a millisecond?
Let down my guard and tell the people how I feel a second?”

I am very tempted to give this book five stars in advance, because I have so much love in my (view spoiler) heart for Lin-Manuel Miranda and his masterwork Hamilton that I might just burst into tears, or spontaneo/>
Diane
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I've become a huge fan of the show Hamilton, and this book was the perfect thing to read if you want to learn more about how the musical was created, and to also get Lin's delightful annotations on the lyrics. Highly recommended.
K.
I hereby award this book ten million stars and a book hangover.

Seriously, if I could give it every damned star in the cosmos, I would. This is honestly the most beautiful book I've ever seen in my life. The way they've tried to make it look like an eighteenth century book is A+. The texture and quality of the paper is wonderful. The photographs are astonishingly gorgeous and give you a real sense of how the show is staged and choreographed.

It took me days to read this, despite it being less th
Polly
❝Inevitable in retrospect but unprecedented and all but I M P O S S I B L E to imagine at the time.❞

Such a beautiful and inspiring book. I want to read it over and over on the off chance that even the tiniest fraction of positivity, determination and creativity might rub of on me.
Marina
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, favorite, own
I'm so greedy.

Even before I finished reading the book, I just kept going "more, more, more, I need more." Not because there wasn't enough information, pictures, or details, but because every single page just made me want more.

And Hamilton: The Revolution does provide everything you may want to know about the conception, creation, birth, and production of Hamilton the Musical. It's an in-depth look at the behind scenes for just about every aspect of the show: how Lin-Manuel came up w
Petra
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a musical type of person, I've never seen one in my life. I've been hearing about Hamilton everywhere, how great it was how no one could get tickets. I thought that if I lived in New York I would probably go see it. Then a few months later I was on Youtube and I came across James Corden's carpool karaoke with LMM.

And thought the song was pretty catchy so I checked out the soundtrack and I suddenly I’m
Helpless!

There are moments that the words don’t reach , and this is one of them, to say I loved
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Edit:*This play is so relevant to our world right now. This country has been a place where "A place where even orphan immigrants can leave their fingerprints and rise up" since the day we've been founded. Why should that ever change? The fact that people are calling for a boycott of this play is complete idiocy. The only people who are calling for one are those who support the hate and the racism in the first place. How about we try our best to not let them EVER win?*

From the moment
A Bookish ✧ Fable
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story..?
Taryn Pierson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE 1/22/17: Sooo because this world is crazy and sometimes dreams do come true, I saw Hamilton on Broadway last week. :O You can read about our trip here, if you're into that. (We stayed in a hotel that used to be a library!)

Hamilton: The Revolution, which tells the story of the musical from its inception through its current Broadway run, has just the kind of fun, conversational tone I was hoping for. It makes you feel like an insider, which is exactly what fans like me who aren't going to get wi
Heatherblakely
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TO THE REVOLUTION!

Oh man.

I had friends telling me to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack for months before I finally did, and I was completely blown away once I acquiesced. The music was incredible, and the fact that most parts were played by people of color made me so incredibly happy. When the show was extended, I bought a ticket (three more months!) and I hope to see it when it's here in LA as well. The musical has been a game-changer, not only because of the music and
Stacee
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is perfection. I loved getting behind the scenes things, staged photos, and most of all Lin's annotations and photos of his journals.
˗ˏˋliaˎˊ˗
“you have no control. who lives, who dies, who tells your story.”

confession: i bought this when it came out, hell, i even preordered it. but that was in fucking 2016 and i still hadn’t picked it up. until now. this musical literally means the world to me, so i was really excited to learn a bit more about its creation and some behind the scenes stuff. and, wow. this reading experience is easily one of the most extraordinary things in my life. i bawled, i laughed, it was just an emotional roller
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My initial thoughts after finishing:

If I'm being completely honest, I was mostly in it for Lin's annotations, for the lyrics combined in a pretty books and for the photos, of course. I just thought I'd let myself be surprised by the rest, whatever it was. And surprise me it did.
I did not expect this to be as emotional as it was. Actually, I didn't expect it to be emotional at all. Interesting, yes. Emotional, nope.
I should've known better honestly, since the songs by themselves alr
Ashley
This is an excellent book that all fans of Hamilton should read. Reading it gave me a fuller experience of the musical, it was fun to see behind the scenes stories, and Lin's notes were always interesting. I cried while reading it (the same part I cry at while listening), and spent about a week listening to nothing but the soundtrack on a loop.

So why no five stars?

Like Aar
Sara
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Before we begin this review I'm going to take a moment and get up on my theatre snob (that is the required spelling for all theatre snob's thank you very much) soap box and make a declaration;

Lin-Manuel Miranda is the next Stephen Sondheim.

I'm not comparing them, that would be stupid except in the sense that not since Sondheim has there been another composer and lyricist who has woven more complex and beautiful songs or seen more clearly into the darkest, most hidden part
Sesana
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
If, like me, you're a die-hard Hamilton fan who rarely listens to anything but now, this is a must buy. But let's be real, you probably already bought it. Isn't it great? If you like Hamilton but aren't in love with it, or if you're interested in the creative processes behind this musical in particular or musicals in general, this is still a must read, but maybe try before you buy.

You get the complete lyrics, including the one scene not on the album. You get tons of pictures, includi

• Alexander Hamilton
  • Dear Evan Hansen: Through the Window
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • Alex and Eliza (Alex & Eliza, #1)
  • Becoming
  • Mamma Mia!: Vocal Selections
  • Hamilton and Peggy!: A Revolutionary Friendship
  • On the Come Up
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers
  • The Library Book
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • Love & War (Alex & Eliza, #2)
  • Failing Up: How to Take Risks, Aim Higher, and Never Stop Learning
  • Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  • Come From Away: Welcome to the Rock: An Inside Look at the Hit Musical
  • Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, & Baking Biscuits
  • Eliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander Hamilton
Lin-Manuel Miranda is a composer, lyricist, writer, rapper, and actor. He is an award-winning artist (including: Tony, Grammy, Pulitzer Prize, and MacArthur "Genius" Award) known for In the Heights (composer-lyricist, actor) and Hamilton (book, music and lyrics, in addition to playing the title role).
“[BURR]
I am the one thing in life I can control.”
301 likes