Start by marking “Hamilton: The Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  18,890 Ratings  ·  2,450 Reviews
Winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama and Eleven Tony Awards, including Best Musical

Lin-Manuel Miranda's groundbreaking musical Hamilton is as revolutionary as its subject, the poor kid from the Caribbean who fought the British, defended the Constitution, and helped to found the United States. Fusing hip-hop, pop, R&B, and the best traditions of theater, this onc
Published April 12th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hamilton, please sign up.

Sameer Vasta The book will make a lot more sense if you have some familiarity with the source material. A few listens of the cast recording should help familiarize…moreThe book will make a lot more sense if you have some familiarity with the source material. A few listens of the cast recording should help familiarize you with some of the things that Miranda and McCarter mention in the book, and will make Miranda's annotations to the libretto be a lot more resonant.(less)
Stef Like Marianne said, it's both. The text version of the musical is mainly the song lyrics in script form with footnotes from Miranda sharing extra…moreLike Marianne said, it's both. The text version of the musical is mainly the song lyrics in script form with footnotes from Miranda sharing extra tidbits about certain lines. These are very cool! :)

The chapters that precede them each have something to do with the songs, such as explaining background stories about the songs, the musical itself, and the cast pertaining to those particular songs. There's like a chapter dedicated to one, two, three, maybe four songs, depending on the theme, and the book contains the entire musical. In addition, there is also additional behind the scenes information in there. :) (less)

Vαɴιllα ●sometimes a dream is enough ●
Dec 11, 2016 Vαɴιllα ●sometimes a dream is enough ● marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: everyone
I won't be in the room where it happens, but at least I'll still be satisfied.
rebecca ɤ
Beautiful and awe inspiring. This shows the amount of hard work and determination and pure unadulterated stubbornness that went into this musical. Lin continues to inspire me daily and this book just gave me even more insight on his thought process. My love for this musical knows no bounds, but i didn't think that reading the lyrics and annotations of songs that I listen over 100 times would affect me but yes they still had me in tears. I love the numerous passages we get on the wonderful actors ...more
Maureen
Apr 20, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing
I'm really emotional don't toUCH ME.
This book is phenomenal and hearing more about how Hamilton came to be has made me love it even more. I NEEDED TO SEE IT BEFORE BUT I DEFINITELY NEED TO SEE IT NOW.
If you love Hamilton you should definitely read this, but even if you don't love Hamilton you will have a new appreciation for it after reading this book.
BUT WARNING THERE ARE A LOT OF EMOTIONS I CRIED A FEW TIMES okay maybe I mostly cried reading annotations on the songs that are sad because emotio
Whitney Atkinson
Sep 05, 2016 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
oh me oh my this was a journey. i definitely choked up reading about who lives who dies who tells your story. it's just really touching to see the extent of how much of lin's heart and soul went into hamilton, and this book made me so much more thankful for it. i loved the lyric annotations, both the nerdy historical ones and the more lighthearted asides. but that's where the issue lies: i almost entirely only cared about the lyric annotations. the short inserted essays (stories? interviews?) be ...more
Iris P

photo 150209_r26101-320-240-28175947_zpsjusgdxqh.jpg
Lin-Manuel Miranda- composer/lyricist/rapper & creator of Hamilton: The Revolution

*********************************************
“Every other founding father gets old, every other gets to grow old.
But when you’re gone, who remembers your name? Who keeps your flame?
Who tells your story”.

From the song "Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story"
*********************************************

Important note: My review covers both the audiobook and hardcover versions of this
Jessica
Oct 20, 2016 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, favorites
I fell in love with Lin-Manuel Miranda in the summer of 2008.

I’ve never been a huuuuge musical theater nerd, but I do follow it somewhat casually and that summer, I listened to practically nothing but the cast album for Lin’s Tony-winning first musical, In the Heights. It was unlike anything I’d ever heard before, but it was magical.

I don't know anyone else who's really even familiar with the show, but it’s what I was listening to while I was making the move from my small town in Ohio to the s
Nat
Dec 27, 2015 Nat marked it as to-read
this is one of my most anticipated books of next year even though I haven't seen the musical because I'M OBSESSED WITH THE SOUNDTRACK
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Hamilton, the consummate wordsmith, would doubtless have words for this.

I have none.
Amber Robertson
Jan 07, 2017 Amber Robertson marked it as to-read
I keep having dreams I'm buying this...is it a sign?

UPDATE: so I caved and bought it and it's now been shipped and I am shaking.
Darwin8u
May 22, 2016 Darwin8u rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Sometimes the right person tells the right story at the right moment, and though a combination of luck and design, a creative expression gains new force. Spark, tinder, breeze."
― Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy MCarter

description

I remember watching Lin-Manuel Miranda perform at the White House Poetry Jam back in 2009 on YouTube. I know it sounds cliched and probably a bit overplayed to say I knew from 2009 that something great was going to be made from this magical moment. There was an energy in this son o
Marina
Jun 16, 2016 Marina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, own, favorite
I'm so greedy.

Even before I finished reading the book, I just kept going "more, more, more, I need more." Not because there wasn't enough information, pictures, or details, but because every single page just made me want more.

And Hamilton: The Revolution does provide everything you may want to know about the conception, creation, birth, and production of Hamilton the Musical. It's an in-depth look at the behind scenes for just about every aspect of the show: how Lin-Manuel came up with the idea
Polly
Inevitable in retrospect but unprecedented and all but I M P O S S I B L E to imagine at the time.

Such a beautiful and inspiring book. I want to read it over and over on the off chance that even the tiniest fraction of positivity, determination and creativity might rub of on me.
Mason
Apr 15, 2016 Mason rated it it was amazing
So I fell in love with Hamilton after I saw the Grammy performance of the opening number and wasn't that impressed. Then a friend on Twitter (Sam from NovelsAndNonsense) told me "you gotta give it another shot" (pun only slightly intended).

I did, finding the full album on Spotify and listened to the album up until 'You'll Be Back' and the only reason I stopped listening was because I had an early shift at work the next morning and it was already approaching midnight.

I don't think I've ever been
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
I hereby award this book ten million stars and a book hangover.

Seriously, if I could give it every damned star in the cosmos, I would. This is honestly the most beautiful book I've ever seen in my life. The way they've tried to make it look like an eighteenth century book is A+. The texture and quality of the paper is wonderful. The photographs are astonishingly gorgeous and give you a real sense of how the show is staged and choreographed.

It took me days to read this, despite it being less th
Heatherblakely
Jul 18, 2016 Heatherblakely rated it it was amazing
TO THE REVOLUTION!

Oh man.

I had friends telling me to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack for months before I finally did, and I was completely blown away once I acquiesced. The music was incredible, and the fact that most parts were played by people of color made me so incredibly happy. When the show was extended, I bought a ticket (three more months!) and I hope to see it when it's here in LA as well. The musical has been a game-changer, not only because of the music and casting, but because of
May 16, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, 2016-favorites
My initial thoughts after finishing:

If I'm being completely honest, I was mostly in it for Lin's annotations, for the lyrics combined in a pretty books and for the photos, of course. I just thought I'd let myself be surprised by the rest, whatever it was. And surprise me it did.
I did not expect this to be as emotional as it was. Actually, I didn't expect it to be emotional at all. Interesting, yes. Emotional, nope.
I should've known better honestly, since the songs by themselves already most un
Stacee
May 16, 2016 Stacee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
This is perfection. I loved getting behind the scenes things, staged photos, and most of all Lin's annotations and photos of his journals.
Sara
May 09, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it
Before we begin this review I'm going to take a moment and get up on my theatre snob (that is the required spelling for all theatre snob's thank you very much) soap box and make a declaration;

Lin-Manuel Miranda is the next Stephen Sondheim.

I'm not comparing them, that would be stupid except in the sense that not since Sondheim has there been another composer and lyricist who has woven more complex and beautiful songs or seen more clearly into the darkest, most hidden parts of the soul. If you've
Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐
Nov 19, 2016 Arielle ⭐ Cursebreaker ⭐ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new-2016, nonfiction
Edit:*This play is so relevant to our world right now. This country has been a place where "A place where even orphan immigrants can leave their fingerprints and rise up" since the day we've been founded. Why should that ever change? The fact that people are calling for a boycott of this play is complete idiocy. The only people who are calling for one are those who support the hate and the racism in the first place. How about we try our best to not let them EVER win?*

From the moment that my sist
Ashley
This is an excellent book that all fans of Hamilton should read. Reading it gave me a fuller experience of the musical, it was fun to see behind the scenes stories, and Lin's notes were always interesting. I cried while reading it (the same part I cry at while listening), and spent about a week listening to nothing but the soundtrack on a loop.

So why no five stars?

Like Aaron Burr, I want more. I'm never going to see the musical in person, or if I do, it's going to be years from now with a new ca
Liz
Nov 16, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
This book collected stories from behind the production, backstage, the full dialogue, and lyrics of the musical accompanied by beautiful photography. It was awe-inspiring to be able to have an in depth look at Lin's genius mind at work.

The book is simply gorgeous. Printed on uncoated paper with thick deckled edges and a smooth spine that emulates the look of books that could have been in Alexander Hamilton's personal library. This book is absolutely stunning in both design and structure.
Susie
Aug 06, 2016 Susie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
This should come as a surprise to no one. I couldn't have asked for a better companion to the musical I love so much.
Sesana
Apr 16, 2016 Sesana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
If, like me, you're a die-hard Hamilton fan who rarely listens to anything but now, this is a must buy. But let's be real, you probably already bought it. Isn't it great? If you like Hamilton but aren't in love with it, or if you're interested in the creative processes behind this musical in particular or musicals in general, this is still a must read, but maybe try before you buy.

You get the complete lyrics, including the one scene not on the album. You get tons of pictures, including some that
Donalyn
Jun 09, 2016 Donalyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
An inside look into the creation and launch of one of the most important artworks created in our time.
Dee☾
Jul 11, 2016 Dee☾ rated it it was amazing
WHY AM I CRYING SO MUCH?! GOOD GOD LIN

It's so wonderful to see how much of Lin's heart he put into Hamilton. Really enjoyed getting this glimpse into the making of and all Lin's footnotes.
Petra
Jul 01, 2016 Petra rated it it was amazing
I'm not a musical type of person, I've never seen one in my life. I've been hearing about Hamilton everywhere, how great it was how no one could get tickets. I thought that f I lived in New York I would probably go see it. Then a few months later I was on Youtube and I came across James Corden's carpool karaoke with LMM.

And thought the song was pretty catchy so I checked out the soundtrack and I suddenly I’m
Helpless!

There are moments that the words don’t reach , and this is one of them, to s
Alexis Rodrigue
Sep 06, 2016 Alexis Rodrigue rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 52-books-2016
This book was just amazing. It's perfect for fans of Hamilton of course, but also for fans of history and musical theatre. I really enjoyed the way that McCarter focused on the cast, the crew, and the story that the musical portrays. He found a way to weave all the pieces together in the remarkable way that Lin did with the musical. Lin's annotations on the lyrics were fascinating and hilarious. I really loved it and I absolutely love the way that Hamilton represents the most beautiful aspect of ...more
Book Riot Community
If you are like me, you have not yet been lucky enough to see Hamilton on Broadway, but you have listened to the hell out of the cast recording. (WORK!) Or maybe you have already been lucky enough to breathe the same air as the cast. Either way, this book is an in-depth look at the musical for all fans, and includes photos and the entire libretto, complete with footnotes from Miranda. How lucky we are to be alive right now!

Tune in to our weekly podcast dedicated to all things new books, All The
Kaylin
Jan 14, 2017 Kaylin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I just devoured this in one sitting! The liner notes and stories about how the show came together we're all fascinating to me, as I've been a rabid fan for the last year. This book had a few stories that felt dense or like they just existed to take up space, and some of the actual writing (of the background stories, not lyrics) felt simplistic. Thats why I'm not giving this 5 stars.

'Hamilton' itself gets 5 stars from me every time, and I am very happy I read this! Fascinating insight into the st
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:

A wonderful overview of the people and characters of Hamilton - great reading for anyone looking for an overview of how to create a musical and something lasting and world-changing. I loved the idea that what Hamilton was fighting so hard for and what Lin and his team were doing were parallel goals. I also loved learning about all of the people involved, especially Thomas Lacamoire and Philippa Soo.

Mariska Hargitay does a great narration, but I wish Lin
  • Look, I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics, 1981-2011, With Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes, and Miscellany
  • Lafayette in the Somewhat United States
  • Go: A Kidd's Guide to Graphic Design
  • Peter and the Starcatcher: The Annotated Script of the Broadway Play
  • Aaron and Alexander: The Most Famous Duel in American History
  • Without You
  • Sex with Shakespeare: Here's Much to Do with Pain, but More with Love
  • Spring Awakening: In the Flesh
  • Science Tales
  • March: Book Two (March, #2)
  • The Secret Life of the American Musical: How Broadway Shows Are Built
  • How to Suppress Women's Writing
  • Most Dangerous: Daniel Ellsberg and the Secret History of the Vietnam War
  • Forgetting to Be Afraid: A Memoir
  • How To Get To Carnegie Hall (Kindle Single)
  • James Baldwin: The Last Interview: and Other Conversations
  • 100 Essays I Don't Have Time to Write: On Umbrellas and Sword Fights, Parades and Dogs, Fire Alarms, Children, and Theater
  • Theater Geek: The Real Life Drama of a Summer at Stagedoor Manor, the Famous Performing Arts Camp
Lin-Manuel Miranda is a composer, lyricist, writer, rapper, and actor. He is an award-winning artist (including: Tony, Grammy, Pulitzer Prize, and MacArthur "Genius" Award) known for In the Heights (composer-lyricist, actor) and Hamilton (book, music and lyrics, in addition to playing the title role).
More about Lin-Manuel Miranda...

“[BURR]
I am the one thing in life I can control.”
153 likes