Start by marking “Sleeper Protocol” as Want to Read:
Sleeper Protocol

Sleeper Protocol

(The Protocol War ##1)

Kieran Roark awakens in a wheelchair, unable to remember anything. As part of a classified experiment, he will have one year to learn his identity and recover his memory, or he will be euthanized by the state.

Scientist Berkeley Bennett has one mission: manipulate Kieran’s emotions in an attempt to bring back his memory. But when she falls in love with him, she is forced to
Published January 5th 2016 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Sleeper Protocol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeper Protocol

Start your review of Sleeper Protocol
Carrie
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Kieran Roark awakens with no memory of who he was or what has happened to him. To make matters worse Kieran has one year to remember or the state will euthanize him. Scientist Berkeley Bennett was given the mission to try to manipulate Kieran's emotions to make him remember who he was but ends up falling in love with him instead.

Sleeper Protocol is a futuristic sci-fi read with the main character waking up missing several years and not being familiar with the time or the changes that have taken
Hilary
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, sf
He wakes in a wheelchair, with familiar Australian buildings and flying cars in an unfamiliar skyline, and doesn't know his name. In fact, he doesn't know anything about himself at all. He's told he was woken to fight, because no-one else will, and given assistance to find himself, and sent off on his own.

There was some excellently cool tech, definitely the sort of tech you imagine in your wildest futuristic dreams, and it helped to balance the dystopian world. (view spoiler)
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Waking in a wheelchair in Australia he has no idea who he is, what’s going on or even what year it is. He’s told he’s part of an experiment; he needs to remember who he is and he now has 323 days to do that or the government will euthanize him. Everyone in this time has a neural interface, but to the people around him he will be a null, a sleeper. Even though he also has an interface, his is different. No one will be able
Richard
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received a pre-release copy of this book in return for a review.

The blurb for this book drew me in and so I was looking forward to reading the book. Right from the start the book gripped me and I finished it in two sessions (a man needs to sleep!)

Told in a mixture of first person from the protagonist, and third person from the other major characters, I really enjoyed this book. There was a slight immersion jarring rip from the world the book is portraying back to this one with a di
Mia Kleve
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SLEEPER PROTOCOL starts out with the main character waking up while sitting in a wheelchair, but not knowing who he is. He gets flashes of what he thinks are memories, but he’s not sure.

There’s a lot he’s not too sure about. Other than WHO he is, he needs to know why he’s been chosen and what his purpose is. And then he finds out he has less than a year to regain all of his memories.

As the book progresses you soon find out that an alien invasion is on its way, and this “sleeper” maybe the only k
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Actual Rating: 3.5*

My full review is part of the blog tour in February. Mini ramblings since I just finished!
I enjoyed this one. There were some parts that I wasn't too fond of, i.e. the way the relationships were handled but overall this was a really good novel. I think it could have been better if there was better pacing with the relationships since it seemed like everything came together and fell apart very quick
papasteve
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I am going to say is, there better be a sequel.
Jeremiah
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn you, Ikenberry! I want more!
Gwen Clayton
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Kevin Ikenberry’s novel, Sleeper Protocol, Kieran Roark is a 28-year-old man who wakes up with a head full of cobwebs and a new nickname: Sleepy.
As the story unfolds, it's like a futuristic re-telling of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein where Sleepy - a re-animated corpse - comes back to life thanks to a brilliant young doctor named Gwendolyn “Berkeley” Bennett. Doctor Bennett must compete for influence over her patient/lover with Sleepy’s artificial intelligence – an AI protocol known as Mally.
“A
Gabrielle
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually reach for soldiery books, as I often find all the action is done better on a big screen. Not so here. Kevin Ikenberry created a world I (almost, but only because this world is one scary place) wanted to jump right into. I'd be happy to meet those characters, well, except for that one cold calculating woman, she terrifies me. Pace and tension kept me engaged and eager to keep turning pages. The relationship aspect was possibly a little simpler than real-life, but hey, the book is ...more
Virginia Lebrun
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This first book in The Protocol War series had so much depth to it. I got the chance to meet Mr. Ikenberry last summer and really enjoyed the time my husband and I got to talk with him. This book is one I would highly recommend. I won't say anything specific about the plot as it is to easy to give up spoilers and I do not want to ruin it for anyone else who might choose to read it. I will be getting the second book in the series soon since I want to see how the story he has so artfully written p ...more
MB
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the concept of this book. In some ways, some very good ways, it reminded me of Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

The vision of the future is quite interesting. Enough positive elements to keep you hopeful, but enough negative elements to be realistic, and to make you wonder if humanity is ever going to learn.

The political mechanisms and plots are intricate and well drawn.

A very good read.
Lance Russell
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book with very new and strange concepts of a new future Earth.

Well written complex sci-fi story
Gives a realistic scenario of the 24th century Earth.
Very interesting.Also good complex character development.
Well done Kevin Ikenberry.
Howard Brazee
Mar 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can see the writer can write about the protagonist. But there are too many things that make me shake my head as a SF reader who likes science. So I'm not finishing the book.
Geoeng51
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story and pace

I loved this story - a perfect balance of action and discovery, which keeps you guessing along with the protagonist(s). The story resolves nicely but still leaves lots of room for future developments.
S.F. Benson
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed "Sleeper Protocol" by Kevin Ikenberry. It was a well-written, well-planned, and highly researched novel.

Ikenberry’s worldbuilding was phenomenal. I definitely knew the story was set in the future. At times the technological references were a little heavy-handed, but I expected this from a male author. It’s something I’ve noticed in reading books by men. If there’s technology or science involved, descriptions tend to be more involved. B
April Wood
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What’s It About?

Imagine waking up as a patient in a wheelchair, not knowing as much as your own name… Imagine looking upward, to an alien sky and flying cars. Then, imagine being told you’re being released and that you have to put your memory back together – if you don’t, you will be euthanized by the State.

Dropped into the outback to survive on his own, the subject has random recollections of his life before he wound up in the hospital. Most of his memories are from the Middle East, where he be
Jessica Bronder
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kieran wakes to find himself in a wheelchair. He can’t remember anything but quickly gets told that he has a year to figure it out or he is going to be terminated. Simply put there is an alien attack on the way and Kieran is a sleeper. If they can get him to remember his past they may be able to stop the invasion. But there is a difference of opinion between the military and government on how the sleeper should be handled. Hopefully Kieran can regain his memory before they decide they are done w ...more
Lee French
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although it contains some thriller aspects, this book is a character study. At it's heart, the story is about a man who lost his memory and quests to recover it. It takes place in the future with sci-fi elements and a conspiracy going on in the background, and includes an AI both simple and complex enough to conjure shades of HAL 9000.
The conspiracy part didn't make sense to me on a certain level. The motivations of the antagonist causing said conspiracy seemed strange. I couldn't imagine anyone
emily
Kieran wakes up and has no idea where he is. He cannot remember anything about himself. Kieran soon learns that he is an experiment and needs to recover his memory. He is also hit with a twist and is told that Earth is under attack. With the help of Scientist Berkeley Bennett, Kieran will familiarize with this new Earth and discover who he is.

Sleeper Protocol is fantastic! I loved everything about it. I felt that every single question that any reader could've asked about Sleeper Protocol is ans
Mark Wilson
Bradley Knox
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sleeper Protocol is a brilliant and intense novel. This science fiction plot is based around a man who was put to sleep many years earlier and now is being brought back to life in a world foreign to him. A treacherous war has changed the world tremendously and he works towards remembering who he once was. I couldn’t have predicted the emotional bond between the man, known as Sleepy, and his brain protocol, Mally. Author Kevin Ikenberry has written a science fiction novel with some remarkable twi ...more
TJ Creamer
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite enjoyable read/diversion. Nicely done. Our protagonist awakens, with loss of relevant memory. Is part of an experiment, in a future time, to help the culture develop our present day soldierly ethos. The kicker is, he has a year to become fully aware, or else.... well, ... will let you read that part.

Good interaction; good discussion of the attributes and values of soldiers/soldiering, the why. All the while incorporating the technologies of the future society.

I really enjoyed the read.
carla stout
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good story

I chose this rating for the reason it needed to be read. I particularity liked this title, it was science fiction , but not so far out as not to be possible or may already be, who knows. I would recommend this book to any one who likes science fiction and also a surprise ending. I loved it.
Emanuel Raneri
Jul 09, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth the effort. I will not read a Ikenberry novel again. Simply put, no p!ot, no climax, no nothing. I thought I was buying a science fictioin nivek but made a mistaje that i wukk try to not repeat

Never againb. Let me explain. I will never again buy an Ikebberry novel. No plot, no climax, no nothing. Waste of time.
Pete Aldin
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Starts with a nice slow reveal and ends with a wow. Ikenberry uses setting, action and character point-of-view very well. The world building is tremendous and the characters have authentic motivations all through the novel.

A fast read. A good read. Excellent scifi!
J.L. Zenor
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun story, didn't go where I thought

The story was surprising almost all the way through. I enjoyed getting to know the main character as he discovered himself. A great read. I can't wait to read more from Kevin.
Michelle
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rar
This was an extremely interesting story for me. However, it did take some time for me to get invested. Once I was invested, it was pretty awesome! Loved the ending!!

I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Neil
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
I'm sorry but I just could not get into this and after having two attempts just had to put it down.
I may try again later but at present I have better books to read.
M.R. Rutter
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great debut novel that has the reader engaged from the first page. I loved it!

• Prototype D (Prototype D #1)
  • Harley Merlin and the Broken Spell (Harley Merlin, #5)
  • Harley Merlin and the Cult of Eris (Harley Merlin, #6)
  • Harley Merlin and the Stolen Magicals (Harley Merlin, #3)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin, #2)
  • Harley Merlin and the Detector Fix (Harley Merlin, #7)
  • Harley Merlin and the Challenge of Chaos (Harley Merlin, #8)
  • Harley Merlin and the Mortal Pact (Harley Merlin, #9)
  • Junkyard Pirate
  • Bjorn (The Frontiers Book 3)
  • Farmer's Creed (The Fallen World Book 5)
  • Negotiation: An Anthology of Hunter Tales from the Four Horsemen Universe (Four Horsemen Tales Book 13)
  • Spartan's Specialists
  • Storm Clouds (The Guild Wars Book 1)
  • By Dawn's Early Light (Echoes of Liberty Book 1)
  • Redemption's Shadow (Wholesale Slaughter #6)
  • Salvage Conquest: Tales from the Salvage Title Universe
  • Jim Cartwright: Raknar Quest (Four Horsemen Tales Book 14)
Kevin’s head has been in the clouds since he was old enough to read. Ask him and he’ll tell you that he still wants to be an astronaut. Kevin has a diverse background in space and space science education. As an adult, he's managed the world-renowned U.S. Space Camp program and operated two Challenger Learning Centers. A retired Army officer, Kevin continues to work with space every day.

Kevin is t

The Protocol War (2 books)
  • Vendetta Protocol (The Protocol War, #2)