Start by marking “The Day I Lost You” as Want to Read:
The Day I Lost You

The Day I Lost You

When Jess’s daughter, Anna, is reported lost in an avalanche, everything changes.
Left to explain her mother’s absence to Anna’s five-year-old daughter, Rose, Jess isn’t yet ready to admit to herself that her daughter might not be coming back. But Anna’s disappearance dredges up some life changing questions: Jess must uncover her daughter’s secret life – and unearth a
Published February 11th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Day I Lost You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day I Lost You

Start your review of The Day I Lost You
Miriam Smith
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tbc
I'm not sure if I just wasn't in the mood for a book of this genre or if I've just lost my reading mojo a bit but this book did not produce an emotional reaction I expected following the reviews I read. I don't have a daughter, granddaughter, sister, an ex husband or a male best friend, so it may have been that but unfortunately this book just didn't do it for me.
That being said, it is still a good book full of secrets, family loyalties, distrust and twists along the way so although I didn't
Suze Lavender
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jess receives the most terrible news a mother can get, her daughter Anna is reported missing after an avalanche when she's on a ski trip. Even though she's heartbroken Jess has Anna's daughter Rose to take care of and she has to keep going. While waiting for more news about her daughter Jess has to start looking into Anna's life. She had a lot of secrets and Jess has to uncover the truth, she has to look into the past to be able to go forward.

The Day I Lost You is a beautiful book about a mother
Kendall
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent novel. I definitely could not put this down!! Author did an amazing job portraying all of her characters and the grief that each felt for the presumed death of Anna.

I loved how I could relate to the strong bond and love that Jess has for her granddaughter. It was a twist for sure as well at the end of the novel. One of my favorite novels I've read this year. :)
Joanne Robertson
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Ok so review will follow tomorrow for this one as I need some time to gather my thoughts so that I can do it justice (which I know already I won't be able to!!) And also because I've sobbed so much my eyes are sore and I've had to remove my glasses and I can't read a thing without them.....till tomorrow!!"

So that was how I felt the moment I put down The Day I Lost You which is DEFINITELY in my top 10 books of 2016. It is utterly heartbreaking and totally compelling and I couldn't bear to put it
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was hopeful that The Day I Lost You would be just as good at You, Me & Other People but it surpassed all expectations. It was such a fantastically plotted book that faced tough issues head on. It dealt with grief, love, family, lies, heartache and happiness. It was a beautiful book from start to finish and there was a lingering mystery throughout that compelled me to keep reading. I cannot recommend this book enough. Fionnuala has definitely become an author that I will be auto-buying from ...more
Liz Fenwick
Damn, the book was brilliant...couldn't put it down. Flawed characters that I wanted to shake but still wanted them to find happiness. For me the highest praise...I forgot the structure, the words and was immersed in the story (rare these days).... a cracking story beautifully told
Shriya
Jun 27, 2016 marked it as gave-up-on
Shelves: review-copy
This is the first book of 2016 I have shelved as 'gave up on'. I'm either not in the mood to read this storyline or hungover from recent reads. Nevertheless please do not discourage my review from reading The Day I Lost You because it is a realistic read. Unfortunately not for me.
Agi
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-releases, 2016

So, it is with a great regret but I haven't read Fionnuala's debut novel yet - and yet is the operative word! I have heard so many prizes about "You, Me and Other People" and after reading "The Day I Lost You" I could have find out by myself why people love this author so much, even though she has written only two books - well, "The Day I Lost You" is enough for me, as after reading it Ms Kearney has catapulted right to the top of my favourite authors list.

How well do we know the members of our
Anne
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I’m not a mother, but the author made me feel Jess’s pain and anguish over her missing daughter from the very first pages, and that emotional grip never lessened at any point in the book. The book is full of all those agonising moments when loss suffered moves from the more comfortable depths of the mind to the excruciatingly painful forefront – the favourite jar of honey on the supermarket shelf, the everyday items like the tatty sofa that hold such intense memories, the replayed conversations. ...more
Joodith
Oct 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Anna, Jess's twenty-four year old daughter, has been caught in an avalanche whilst skiing. Jess holds onto the hope that Anna has survived and in the meantime gives Anna's small daughter, Rose, all her care and attention. Jess, understandably, grieves. Fortunately she has a large network of friends and family who love her, and whom she loves – constantly. Rose is a perfect child – of course - in fact everyone in Jess's life is Perfect.

When Anna's body is found Jess discovers that her daughter
Izzyreads
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this page turner about secrets and the impact they have on family relationships.

When Jess’s daughter, Anna, is tragically lost in an avalanche, Jess finds herself uncovering Anna’s secret life. The more that Jess discovers, the more she realises that Anna's secrets could change everything, not just for Jess herself, but also for Anna's daughter, Rose. The Day I Lost You is a story about unconditional love and captivity, because, sometimes, being the object of
Debra
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For my written review, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Barbara Beswick
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was reluctant to pick up this book so soon after finishing the previous one I read and reviewed, simply because I doubted anything could live up to the high standard set by a certain Lucy Atkins. Oh me of little faith! Must be the excellent taste of TBC and their recommendations, because this is another cracker!! This is the second novel by the author whose name I hardly dare attempt - her first being You, Me and Other People, and boy does it clench your heart, as well as other parts... Love, ...more
Julie
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! Read this in just over 24 hours. Liked all the characters, was totally drawn in and cried in two places. Am now following Fionnuala so I can read more of her books as they come out. Very good read.
Jo Barton
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The implications of loss are terrible to imagine, and for Jess, when she gets the awful news that her daughter Anna is missing in a skiing accident she knows that her life is irrevocably changed. Losing a child is every parent's worst nightmare, especially when that child is also a parent, and even though bringing up Rose, her five year old granddaughter is a mixed blessing, Jess can't help but long for the news that Anna is alive and well and will soon be returning home to the family.

The story
Rachel Gilbey
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

The Day I Lost You is a well written story, and is the story of Jess, Theo, Anna and Rose, and how one avalanche can change the outcomes of so many lives. I believe the book is supposed to be highly emotionally charged, and a real weepy, but apart from on perhaps two occasions, I just wasn't feeling it. Whether that is because I am wired abnormally, or whether its because the book just didn't quite work in that respect is probably not for me to decide.

The narrative is split into a
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I would like to start my review by saying congratulations to Fionnuala, as today is paperback publication day for ‘The Day I Lost You’! The picture does not do this cover justice in the slightest, in the flesh it is even more beautiful. The beauty doesn’t stop at the cover though, no way, the beauty continues throughout the whole story.

‘The Day I Lost You’ has been sitting on my desk waiting for me to read it since the
Anne
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Day I Lost You is a story of relationships. How they begin, how they evolve and how they can change so quickly and so dramatically through the revelation of a hidden truth.

Jess and Anna; mother and daughter, but also house-mates and the best of friends. When Anna's father Doug left the family to start a new life, Jess and Anna became a solid unit. Even when, at nineteen, in her first year at university, Anna became pregnant with her daughter Rose, her relationship with Jess remained strong.
Gill Brown
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An emotional and very gripping book, if you like reading Liane Moriarty you'll love this.
Angela Smith
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
When the book begins we are introduced to Jess going about her daily life when her ex husband shows up and just by looking in his eyes she knows something terrible has happened. Then we switch to ten weeks later as every thing begins to unfold. Jess's daughter Anna is missing, presumed dead after an avalanche on a skiing holiday. Her body has still not been found and Jess clings to the hope that somehow a mistake has been made. She has her five year old granddaughter (Rose) to think of and it's ...more
Kerry
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautifully written book, about love, family, lies and change. The story gave me a roller coaster of emotions, from joy to having me in tears.
Couldn't put the book down as the story went deeper and deeper. Very recommendable!
Dannielle Potts
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Really Had To Persevere With This One. Felt It Repeated Itself A Touch. Nice To See It All Wrapped Up Nicely It The End
Nikki Houghton
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book; the writing excellent, the narrative smart and well constructed, the persona sympathetic, and there are some edge of your seat moments of intrigue regarding daughter/granddaughter/mother/niece/blogger/chorister Anna who is (quite deservedly imo) dead. The “intrigue” doesn’t last very long as it’s an absolute shoo-in who the “culprit” is pretty immediately (and that’s a bit of a shame to be honest; it’s an understandable cop-out but a cop out nevertheless).
An avalanche blows
Mary Latela
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Day I Lost You is Magical

When I knew Fionnuala Kearney had a new novel, I rushed to purchase it and read it. What a ride! What a whirlwind of emotions, thoughts, memories, floated about.
There are so many books about loss these days – loss of a marriage, loss of a home, loss of personal identity, and perhaps worst, the loss of a child, that I realized by opening this book I might find a treasure – and I did.

When Jess learns that her daughter, Anna, has died in an avalanche, she takes on one
Em L
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Haylee
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
When I saw this in a supermarket I took a look and thought that it looked like a really good read from what I saw but when I started reading it I could not get in to it but after a while I did. I found it went on a bit at times. It's a ok read. I felt sorry for jess when she was told that her daughter had died as I can not imagine what it must be like when a person looses their child. It was a big thing taking on a grandchild but jess did it. As you do anything for family no matter what. I don't ...more
Caroline
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for more from this book. The story was simple enough and in places it was emotional. However I didn't feel it really got to the heart of any of the relationships either Mother and Daughter or Mother and Granddaughter although I liked the story between Jess and her parents. I would have liked a lot more background and character detail about both Anna (daughter) and Rose (granddaughter) which I think would have made it much stronger and emotionally connecting. The skiing accident ...more
Louise Bingham
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Having just finished reading this I am surprised by the current 4.06 rating it has on Goodreads. Whilst the characters felt real and the plot itself has a lot of positives, I felt constantly frustrated at being 'held in suspense'. Instead of making it a page turner I ended up just feeling bored at never really learning anything new-all the 'reveals' came right at the end and it could have done with a few throughout.

Sorry, not for me.
Paulinlong
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Thought Jesse was awful, very brave of the writer to have such a selfish, controlling, self indulgent character at the centre of the novel. Plotting good. Daughter doesn't get much sympathy she's as bad as her mother. Theo's trapped in a relationship to a woman he has to lie to. I suppose it shows the complications of modern existence when a lot of spoiled people do what the hell they like without consideration for anyone else. Poor Bea, she slaves after them and all they say is she makes a nice ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Seven Letters
  • Just Watch Me (Riley Wolfe #1)
  • Keep You Safe
  • One More Lie
  • How I Lost You
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Behind Every Lie
  • Somewhere Inside of Happy
  • The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel
  • If Angels Burn (Darkyn #1)
  • Binary
  • All You Could Ask For
  • Lies We Tell Mothers
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • I Wanted You To Know
  • The Vines
  • You Said Forever
  • Apple of My Eye
Fionnuala discovered, age six, that she had in fact been christened Ann (that’s Ann with no ‘e’) and that her parents had decided, for some reason, to saddle her with a life of dealing with unnecessary vowels. At twenty she moved to London and marrying Mr. Kearney proved to be the best thing she ever did, apart from the fact that the vowel thing escalated further. Two daughters, both with ...more