Start by marking “Feminist Fight Club: An Office Survival Manual for a Sexist Workplace” as Want to Read:
Feminist Fight Club: An Office Survival Manual for a Sexist Workplace

Feminist Fight Club: An Office Survival Manual for a Sexist Workplace

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  4,207 Ratings  ·  588 Reviews
Part manual, part manifesto, a humorous yet incisive guide to navigating subtle sexism at work—a pocketbook Lean In for the Buzzfeed generation that provides real-life career advice and humorous reinforcement for a new generation of professional women.

It was a fight club—but without the fighting and without the men. Every month, the women would huddle in a friend’s apartme
Published September 13th 2016 by Harper Wave (first published May 24th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Feminist Fight Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminist Fight Club

Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I am so conflicted right now. I really don’t want to be, but I am kind of hating this book. Not because the content wasn’t good or legitimate, but because whoever designed the physical layout of the thing decided to sprinkle girly fucking glitter dust all over everything. The whole GD book is smothered in pink, frilly doodles and mindless diagrams that don’t actually make any sense. Empowerment? Please! It used to be empowerment until the girls’ toy aisle threw up all over it and turned it into ...more
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
although the repetitive format bored me to death, this book has a lot of useful and interesting information, specially since I'm just entering the work world myself. but it's a shame this is very America centred and it tells again and again that women are people with vaginas, when it doesn't take a lot of common sense to know that's not really true...

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2016/0...
Nikki Wilson
Sep 20, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5/5 - A humourous and handy guidebook, easy to read but refreshingly no-nonsense approach to the patriarchy & everyday sexism women face. Biggest criticism is - you need to cut down on the genital references!!! Not all women have vaginas!!! Equating women to their parts, even with the intention of being light-hearted, alienates the shit out of trans women (who are most discriminated against in the workplace, by far!!!)
Samantha Price
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think this book is going to get panned in the media. Either that or it will be a big hit. It's very "buzzfeed"; it tries to engage through quizzes and humour and lists. I understand where they're coming from and what they're trying to do. Business books can be dry and they're trying to appeal to the 20-30 something female that may not have been enticed by Lean In. To me it felt immature though. I legitimately cringed at parts. Then again, I don't like The Office, 30 Rock or most shows people f ...more
kris
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm not certain how Feminist Fight Club got on my to-read list, but when my hold came in at the library, I settled down for what I thought would be an instructive and in-depth look at the casual sexism that continues to exist in the modern work place.

I did not get that.

Feminist Fight Club is instead the "highlights" version: it lists some of the various forms of sexism; it mentions some of the stereotypes women can be labeled with; it briefs over the 'trap' scenarios women might fall prey to. A
Sara
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I get what this book was trying to do and I do believe it has a some good points, suggestions and resources for women in the workforce
BUT
this was SO TERF-Y. There was so much vagina-centric rhetoric (and puns! oh god all the puns!) which is insanely unnecessary for workforce advice. Overall, the advice for women of color, LGBT women or women with disabilities felt secondary to the main narrative (if present at all!). \
If its not intersectional its not feminism.
This book got old REAL quick.
Roman Clodia
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
'Today's sexism is insidious, casual, politically correct, even friendly'

This is a book I wish I'd been able to read when I was 21 and in those first jobs after graduating: although based on US experience, it still identifies those office perennials (the guy who talks over you in meetings, who assumes that you'll always make the coffee for visitors, that you'll always be happy to take the notes, and that your role is to be nice, kind, maternal and nurturing 'cos that's what being female means, r
Hannah Pieterse
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The advice and information in this book is good, but to me, not very novel. It felt like a sparkly, cartoon-filed version of Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In." I also felt disappointed that it gave only lip service to issues facing women of color, people of diverse genders and sexualities, and really anyone outside of certain white collar creative fields.
Korinne Vanderroest
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I wish I could give this book four to five stars, but I can't. The book is chock full of snappy one liners and interpersonal business strategies for dealing with a sexist workplace. It explains the importance of building up and encouraging your female coworkers and fostering a support system for other women in your field. It also touched on racial issues within the feminist movement which I feel takes a backseat in many feminist circles. However, this book comes off as TERFish. Vagaffirm and var ...more
Hestia Istiviani
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt like reading something which make me shock because I have just knew that there are many sexist workplaces around us. But in other hand, it just got quite boring for me.

[Read full review]
Diana Suddreth
Jan 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've struggled more with writing a review for this book than any other I've ever read. I did not like this book on so many levels. As an upper-management professional, I was completely offended by the portrayal of the workplace as hostile to women, and can't help but wonder how much of the hostility is self-perpetuated even within the stories in the FFC. Millennials, your mothers worked hard to break into business, get maternity leaves and other friendly practices, and climb higher than women ha ...more
Mehrsa
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't want to use the word "abrasive" because I think it's the most sexist word in the English language, but I'll say it here--the advice here is too abrasive. I am older than the intended audience for the book so perhaps I am wrong here, but I think this is not sound advice. It's basically a book of come backs and call outs for all the crap sexist men say to women. And sometimes men need to be called out, but I think it's rare that being called out actually changes someone's behavior or the s ...more
Suzanne
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a three star read for me at my stage of my career, but I can see giving this to people who are just starting out in their careers and it being a four star read for them. Bonus points for giving practical advice for dealing with different situations. Would have been great to have given a "Further Reading" list at the end for people to take a deeper look into some of the issues.
Bryony Nelson
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This was brill, hilarious and so insightful. It's full of SO many useful ideas for the workplace and life and will even help with self confidence and friendships. I really enjoyed reading this!
Aja
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I was hoping to love this book so so much. It has illustrations which I always love and the title is super catchy plus the author has super impressive credentials. Unfortunately it started a little slow and was crippled by white feminism. A lot of those situations only apply to the privileged and to be honest, it left me feeling a little sad. However the book totally picks up at the end. It somehow moves faster in the latter half.
Katie
I originally picked up this book because I thought it might be interesting or funny, and though there was a lot more language than I prefer, I really felt like this book opened my eyes to some behaviors and speech patterns I have that might be limiting me and armed me with tactics to be a better employee and a better version of myself.
Rachel C.
Lean In meets Cosmo. It's all sound bites, cutesy puns, little doodles. Might be a good starter book for your millennial mentee, but rest assured that you can skip this one if you’ve read the actual Lean In or anything else in this space.
Jessica Semler
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fluffier than I'm used to, but entertaining and a great source for continued reading. This would be a lot more applicable for women who work with primarily men, and I'm very lucky to have a very femme-centric work environment.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
nicht mein Humor und leider ganz, ganz weit von intersektionalem Feminismus entfernt :/
Jessica Thelander
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The mediocre score is mostly due to the format of the book. I learned about this book while reading some sort of article about women in the workplace, and the idea itself certainly intrigued me. I pre-ordered the paperback, which arrived a few weeks ago.

Summary: Jessica Bennett is a somewhat struggling journalist in her 30s (?), recounting the female bonds she formed in her Feminist Fight Club, where women would get together and talk about the struggles they faced in the workplace and what they
Katie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is meant to be practicably useful: flip to a section, find the particular problem you are experiencing and read suggestions for how to combat the toxic masculinity and misogyny that surrounds you. What it is not however, after the first section, is a book that is likely meant to be read straight through. Which is what I attempted to do. While the world continued to burn down around us.

The book is full of all kinds of practical tips and explanations about how these scenarios pop up so
Johanna
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although there's nothing groundbreaking here, it's helpful and everybody should pick it up from time to time to put things in perspective and manage your life in office (and why not, life) better. Also it's written in good humor and non condescending tone, which is greatly appreciated.
I already recommended it to several friends who work in shitty offices and imo it would make a great gift for both young women entering work force or anybody who already works in a male-dominated field or industry
Kristin-Leigh
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Not always truly actionable and clearly from the (occasionally recognized) bias of being a white able bodied woman in the workplace, but well laid out and very satisfying at points (and very useful advice-wise in others). There are some great nuggets here, and even when I questioned the value I was still very entertained.
Ariela
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
There are some really valuable messages here for all people in the workplace, but I found the formatting annoying and childish.
Nadine Jones
No one is more surprised than I am by how much I enjoyed this book! Actually, I, like, totally enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the fuck out of this book.

The only reason I read this book was to fill a 2017 Popsugar Reading Challenge category. Let me be the first to say that I was 100% annoyed with the category "a book with career advice." I grumpily settled on reading FFC.

Some useless back story before I get to my point: I'm an engineer, and as everyone knows engineering is mostly men. I started w
Kathrin
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminism, non-fiction
If you have never picked up a pick about sexism in the workplace and how to conquer it, this book would be your perfect first read. For everyone that has already worked their way through feminist nonfiction this book is not going to be life changing. I think it's organized really nicely and informal language and to the point graphs are being employed. I also liked that the author consistently pointed out the added hurdles for women of color. She also covered the perception of age, which is not b ...more
Samantha
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this. There was some interesting research cited in this and I did enjoy the pictures and some of the humour however.....

The big problem with this was I felt that it was verging on 'man hating', which is an image I think feminists should ideally be trying to distance themselves from. It was a very 'us vs. them' mentality rather than a 'what we can all do to help'. The vagina puns also ground me down by the end, one or two would have been funny but, it was every other word
BrutallyHonest
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was an *mostly* enjoyable and informative read. It got better as it went on. Why I have rated it 2 and not higher is the borderline terf-y type language at the beginning of the book. Things about vaginas that just aren't true for all women. However in other parts of the book the language was very inclusive, so I'm a bit confused by it. I guess it just wasn't very consistent and so came off tokenistic. Next to nothing about queer ladies and presented only what felt like at times, obligatory ...more
Ashley Holstrom
Is your office sexist against women? You need this book. Jessica Bennett offers lots o’ tips on how to handle situations that arise at work. And she has badass feminist playlists and other ephemera sprinkled throughout.

From 13 Fabulous Feminist Audiobooks at Book Riot.

///

The perfect book for young people joining the workforce. It’s fun and has a badass lady playlist suggestion at the end, so, win.

From Taking Care of Yourself with Books at Book Riot.
Jessica Bennett is an award-winning journalist and author who writes on gender, sexuality and culture. She is a contributing writer for the New York Times, where she has covered sexual assault on campus, profiled female pot entrepreneurs, and was the first journalist to profile Monica Lewinsky in a decade. She also writes a column on digital language called Command Z.

A former staff writer at News
More about Jessica Bennett
“Imposter syndrome” wasn’t coined as a term until the 1970s, but it’s safe to assume women have always felt it: that nagging feeling that, even after you’ve just done something great, maybe you actually don’t deserve the
praise.”