Start by marking “The Moonlight Dreamers” as Want to Read:
The Moonlight Dreamers

The Moonlight Dreamers

(The Moonlight Dreamers #1)

Amber craves excitement and adventure. Instead, she’s being bullied at school for having two dads, and life at home isn’t much better. Inspired by Oscar Wilde, Amber realizes that among the millions of people in London, there must be others who feel the same as she does; other dreamers – moonlight dreamers. After chance encounters with Maali, Sky and Rose, Amber soon recru ...more
Published July 7th 2016 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Moonlight Dreamers, please sign up.
Book Bazaar More 12+. Issues around sexting and consent are probably for mid teens.

Gabby
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes a quick and fast paced book is all you need to satisfy your reading cravings.

I received this book from Walker Books earlier on in the year, and I decided to read it this month before its release in July. I ended up finishing it in a day which shows just how great this books is!

CHARACTERS: The four main characters, Amber, Rose, Sky and Maali, are all completely different and helped add to the story. Sky misses her mum who passed five years ago and is trying to find the confidence to per
kim hannah
⭐⭐⭐⭐ ┊ 4 stars

Such a beautiful story about friendship and the hardship of growing up differently or being different to what people want to think as 'normal'.

4 girls. 4 different stories all intertwined into one great dream.

It was a beautiful read. Inspira
Ella
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, 4-stars
Colour me surprised! I ENJOYED A CONTEMPORARY!!!
Billiebumblebee
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was such a cute and funny read.

Yes, the plot was predictable and yes, it lacked a bit of balance between the four main characters stories, but that is easily forgiven. Because for a couple of hours I got to meet these wonderful girls and their story entertained me.

Very enjoyable!

Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Yes: I am a dreamer: For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

"Better to live your own life imperfectly than live it by some eejit's idea of perfection."

"Sometimes it feels as if things will last forever, Maali said softly, especially the bad times. But they never do, because all things are just passing by, just passing through life."

Soundtrack: Dreamers by Oh Gravity
Aimee
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of The Moonlight Dreamers from Walker Books Australia to review. I cannot believe how long it took me to pick this book up… I’ve had it for a long time now.

I loved this book! The story brings together four very different girls and they all need the Moonlight Dreamers for different reasons. And I think they bring out the best in each other too.

I didn’t really relate to what any of them were going through but I did like each of the girls. I don’t think I have a favourite.. I love
Pocket Full of Pages
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-our-shelf
‘The Moonlight Dreamers’ by Siobhan Curham .

Publisher: Walker Books.

Published: July 7th 2016.

Page Count: 352 pages.

Genre: YA Contemporary.

“Yes: I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”

Synopsis:

Amber, Rose, Sky, and Maali may be very different, but they all have one thing in common: they’re fed up with being told how to look, what to think and how to act.

They’re not like everyone else an
Amanda

The Moonlight Dreamers is set on and around Brick Lane, London. Amber, a writer and fan of Oscar Wilde, is having an awful time at school. It's never been a secret that she has two fathers, but lately she's been bullied about whether or not they've made her a lesbian. It doesn't help that she's also struggling to find anything in common with one of her fathers, an artist who always puts his career first. Maali lives with her family and together they run an Indian confectionery store. She's shy
Kirsty
I was really excited when this book arrived as I always enjoy Siobhan Curham's books and I didn't even know this was on the horizon.

I loved this book for several reasons.

I loved the girl relationships within this book. Don't get me wrong they aren't perfect especially between the step sisters in the book but it is nice to see a book where the teenage girls support each other and are actually nice to each other rather than the bitchy back stabbing which often gets portrayed.

I loved the diversity
Rebecca
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, heart-warming read that dealt well with some of the difficult issues that young women and girls have to face today. I thought it was incredibly inspirational and thought-provoking.
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin? Or even, how do I begin? I finished this book a few hours ago and I deluded myself into thinking that time would help me formulate words adequate enough to describe the astronomical love I have for this book but hours have passed and I'm still wondering how I can put my adoration for this book into words. There hasn't been a book I've read in a very long time that has spoken to me in the way that The Moonlight Dreamers did. I absolutely loved everything about this book, it was ...more
Mirjam
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect book to follow the sisterhood of traveling pants and a beautiful tribute to the moon and Oscar Wild.
Great inspiration to everyone living the life in creative sphere, great motivation for those who feel freakish in their life.
All and all - beautifully written book with a light but meaningful meaning.
Julia
I really enjoyed this - it was different and sweet! Even though it absolutely wasn't a fantasy it felt a little bit magical.
Louise
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, contemporary
I won a copy of this book over at Maximumpopbooks in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book all about friendship.It was a cute, fun and heart warming read and I enjoyed the twists and turns along the way.

Amber is sick and tired of being treated differently at school, she is not one to conform. All the girls at school are obsessed with beauty, fashion and boys! All she wants is to have a proper conversation with someone her own age about her interests and not to be judged on her
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Walker Books Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Amber hates how the girls at school treat her and dreams of being different. After reading a quote from her idol, Oscar Wilde, Amber comes up with a plan to meet kindred spirits and the Moonlight Dreamers is born.

I have to say that if ever there was a book for younger readers that could be a poster-child for upliftivism, then The Moonlight Dreamers is it. While some unfortunate things do befall the charact
KooperAmused
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens, Young Adult
Recommended to KooperAmused by: Star
A good general read. I found it was almost a different take on ‘The Sisterhood of Travelling Pants', but without the separation and an Oscar Wilde quote being the thing that connects them. A cute little fluff read for young teenage girls.

Story:
Four different young teenage girls connect through a desire to reach each of their goals. The friendship that blossoms is important to each of them, to find others that feel misunderstood and who just wanting to be who they are, without fear of bullying o
Vasilisa
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-english

I bought this book more than a year ago, but decided to read it only now and I can't understand why I didn't pick it up sooner! The Moonlight Dreamers is such a nice, fast-paced, inspirational read; it's definitely isn't a masterpiece but it for sure keeps you hooked. Four main characters are very different from each other, but they all are very likable (my favorite was probably Rose). I only wish that we've seen more of their story together, not individually.
Rebecca
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews, arc-s
This is a book all little girls should read. In a society where different means bullied, intelligent means mockery and being a bit of a loner actually means you're a bit of a loser THIS book laughs at all of those associations and punches them right in the face.

It is so refreshing to read a book where being different is embraced. When one little girl has a chance encounter with three other girls just like her, a bit of a nomad, a little eccentric and a tiny bit shy, she recruits them to join her
Hélène Louise
This book was a very sweet read, intelligent and well written, without any vulgarity, even while treating some delicate subjects.
A lot of important themes for teens are broached, as: the difficulty to be true in the cruel reality of school diktats, the right to be different, to have different convictions and beliefs, how to discover a special talent and pursue it, relationships with others, family and friends, and the current risks of social network.
And all that very smoothly, without any patron
Bookread2day
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it

Amber, Maali, Sky and Rose may be very different but they all have one thing in common they're fed up with being told how to look, what to think and how to act.
The Moonlight Dreamers is a group for teenage girls who are sick of being told what to be and how to look, and who want to find the confidence to live their dreams. The Moonlight Dreamers is a secret society members must never speak a word of its existence, or of what happens at the meetings, to others. Meetings will begin with members r
Trisha
This is a great friendship story involving Amber, Maalia, Rose and Skye. They all have different ambitions, different lives, but they all want friends who accept them for who they are, and who won't judge them.

All four points of view are offered. Each girl has their own issues, and while they do try to deal with them alone, gradually trust develops and they help each other get through their worst ordeals.

For some (Maalia), the hurt seems minor and for others (Rose), it's total humiliation. But e
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
~3.5
Kirsti
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, didn't expect to like this one so much! Of course, the cover is beautiful, but I always hesitate a little with female friendship books, afraid I'm going to compare them to the Sisterhood Of Traveling Pants books, which I loved when I was younger. However, this was nothing like that, it was its own unique story, with memorable characters and individual time lines. I liked it!

If you're in the mood for some light YA, solid female friendship and almost zero romance, then this is the book for yo
Katie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, ya
TW: Sexual assault/ harassment, self harm and homophobia.
This book has so much potential but was poorly executed. The writing felt very young and it was full of stereotypes and cliches, I feel like have read similar stories in fan fiction. At the end the characters changed personalities and views in such an unrealistic way. This book felt like it was written by a teenager. There were parts of this book I enjoyed though and it was a very fast and easy read.
Jenni
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a lovely, heart-warming story about young girls' growth. Had I had this story to rely on when I was the girls' age, I would have felt less alone. Still hoping to find similar friendship as Maali, Sky, Rose and Amber have.
Liv
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such a sweet book, it's one of those books that just makes you feel really happy.
Blandean
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
J'ai beaucoup aimé découvrir ces Filles de Brick Lane, qui se rencontrent un peu par hasard mais finalement au bon moment pour chacune.

Un roman sur l'importance de l'amitié, parfois beaucoup trop délaissée dans la littérature YA, de s'entourer de personnes qui s'entraident, malgré les défauts de chacun.e.s, les hauts et les bas, bref des personnes là pour nous soutenir.
L'histoire en soit n'est pas folle, pas très originale, mais j'ai tout de même adoré ce premier tome qui aborde des sujets impor
Amberly
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where I fall in love with is book because of the cover and I really enjoy reading is book also I found is book empowering also I found the book was fast paced to read. what else I like about this book this at it is fill diversity for example amber has same sex parents, amber wear suits to school and Maali is a Muslim. then so much character development in this book with main characters and the side characters.

I think the book had very realistic friendship and This book isn't scared to talk about
Sheryl Faith
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
a Teen book I picked on the shelf.. SUPER GOOD. the 4 girls.. Maali,Rose, Amber and Sky are really the best Moonlight Dreamers.. I even like how they came to a conclusion periods are linked to the moon shape shifting.. kinda like Twillight series?? Except with bio context in it.. haha.. anyways, Liam is a good guy friend but Matt, Rose's ex was really a bad guy slut shaming her.. apart from it,I also like how they pulled in teen social medias such as Twitter, Instagram and interviews that teens ...more
Kadri Siller
Kuigi esmapilgul on kuuvalgel unistajad väga erinevad, on neil kõigil oma unistused ja probleemid ning teineteist tundma õppides leiavad neiud üha rohkem, et tegelikult on nad ühesugused ning saavad teineteist toetades ise tugevamaks. See on värskendav lugemine, kus Oscar Wilde filosoofiliste tsitaatide valguses rullub lahti peategelaste argipäev: armastus, homoseksuaalsus, kuulsuste petlikult glamuurne elu, hinduismi jumalad, kiusamine ja tõelised unistused. Unistused aga on määratud täituma, t ...more
  • Cracked
  • Iris and the Tiger
  • When Michael Met Mina
  • Talk Under Water
  • Clancy of the Undertow
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Playing Defense (Corrigan Falls Raiders, #2)
  • The Yearbook Committee
  • Goldfish (Girl out of Water, #1)
  • Breathing Under Water
  • Silence is Goldfish
  • Shiverton Hall: The Creeper
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Sophie Someone
  • Welfy Q. Deederhoth: Meat Purveryor, World Savior
  • Broken Branch Falls
  • If It Rains Pancakes: Haiku and Lantern Poems
Siobhan Curham is an award-winning author, editorial consultant, motivational speaker and life coach. Her books for young adults are: Dear Dylan (winner of the Young Minds Book Award), Finding Cherokee Brown (shortlisted for Wirral Paperback of the Year), Finding Your Inner Cherokee, Shipwrecked and Dark of the Moon (currently being developed for television), True Face, The Moonlight Dreamers and ...more

The Moonlight Dreamers (2 books)
  • Tell it to the Moon (The Moonlight Dreamers, #2)
“Why, in a world where there is love, would you ever choose hate?” 6 likes
“Beauty isn't skin-deep. It's bone-deep. Heart-deep. Soul-deep. Only put to sleep. When we prick our finger on fear. Beauty can't be bought or made. It can only be awoken through laughter, and living, and love. Through being you and being true.” 3 likes