Start by marking “Harry and Walter” as Want to Read:
Harry and Walter

Harry and Walter

Best Friends Forever.

Harry may be four and three-quarters and Walter may be ninety-two and a half, but that doesn’t stop them from being best friends. Harry loves to go next door to play games with Walter and draw pictures together. And when the snow falls, Walter clears a path to Harry’s house so that they can visit every day.

But one day, a For Sale sign appears on Harry’
Published March 22nd 2016 by Annick Press (first published March 15th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Harry and Walter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry and Walter

Start your review of Harry and Walter
Cheriee Weichel
To see the images not included in this review, go to my blog post at http://dickenslibrary.blogspot.ca/201...

My heart fills with ache and joy each time I read this book. It's the poignant story of two best friends, Harry who is 4 3/4, and Walter who is 92 1/2. They live next-door and do all kinds of things together. They ride their tractors and play croquet.

They grow and eat tomatoes.

In the fall the two of them rake and jump in leaves.

In the winter they figure out how to be together and build
Sandra
This sweet book tells the story of Harry, four and three-quarters years old, and Walter, ninety-two and a half, who are neighbors and best friends despite the difference in their ages. They enjoy being together, playing, mowing the lawn, taking care of Walter's vegetable garden, raking leaves, making snowmen. But one day Harry has to move away from the neighborhood. Harry cried. "Things change", Walter explained.

Harry felt so bored and lonely in the new house... But a surprise was waiting for
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Cybils nominee for Best Fiction Picture Book 2o16.
Susan
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful children's book!
Storywraps
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a love-at-first sight book for me. It is such a wonderful story to read and to share. It will delight hearts of both the young and the old.

Harry is four and three-quarters and his neighbour is ninety-two and a half. Guess what? They are best of friends. They love to spend quality time together and enjoy each other's company very much. They mow the lawn together, play games and figure out puzzles, draw and configure paper airplanes, eat juicy tomatoes right out of Walter's garden, and
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a great story to teach children about change and about what our elders have to offer us. Harry and Walter live next door and are best friends. Harry is 4 1/2, Walter is 94. They do all sorts of things together. Walter encourages Harry, teaches him things like making oragami birds and drawing and spends a lot of time with him. When Harry's family moves he is devastated. Even though his yard is bigger, he has a garden and even a tree house, he misses Walter so much. When Walter shows up ...more
Dee/ bookworm
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Harry and Walter by Kathy Stinson, Illustrated by Qin Leng is a beautiful story of friendship. It potrays a friendship between an old man and a young boy. When Harry moves, both his life and Walter's life suffer, but one day Walter moves also (right across the street from Harry) and again, they can be close and have more adventures. It is a very heart warming portrayal of how some people enrich your life and make everything seem better by just being around. Friendships like this show how friends ...more
Dee/ bookworm
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Jana
This is a sweet story about a young boy and his 92-year-old neighbor who are the best of friends. They spend so much time together and do so many things together: riding tractors in the yard, growing tomatoes, playing games, raking leaves, etc. When Harry (the boy) finds out he has to move away, he's devastated. This heartwarming story will have young readers rooting for some way that these two can make their friendship last a long time.
FM Family
This is a great one. Love Kathy Stinson and Qin Leng.

I'm shelving this as a grandparent book even though it's actually about the relationship between a 4 3/4 year old and his elder neighbour. I think it's a fantastic and unique book because it represents friendship with adults who aren't your family and may be different from you, but who are a part of your community. It also does an amazing job of not having any of the themes you worry about it stories about older people. Not that those themes
Susan
This story chronicles the friendship between an old man and a very young boy. When the boy moves away, things get interesting.

Heart-warming with Qin Leng's whimsical and fresh drawings.
Joy Keil
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clara
A heartwarming look at a friendship between young and old. I wish my kids had a Walter around.... cute.
Casandria
Despite a huge age difference, Harry and Walter are best friends.
HueL
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that describes the friendship between a boy and his elderly neighbor, with a surprise ending. Light and vivid illustrations by Qin Leng.

Susan B
A pleasant story about an inter-generational friendship. Illustrations are nice too.
Jessica Brown
I really love Qin Leng's illustrations, and she definitely didn't disappoint with this one, either. This adorable picture book tells the story of two very best friends, Walter and Harry, who are a young boy and an old man. They do everything together and spend all day playing until Harry's parents decide it's time for them to move. The old friends are so sad, but there might still be a way for them to be friends until Harry is as old as Walter...
Kate Puleo Unger
This book is so cute! Harry and Walter are next door neighbors. Harry is 4.5 years old, and Walter is 92.5 years old. They do everything together: ride their tractors, build snowmen, play games, etc. They are the best of friends. Until Harry's family moves away. They are both devastated until one day, Walter finds Harry because of the paper birds he's flying down from his tree house. Walter now lives nearby in a senior apartment complex. They discover that while people move, not everything ...more
Wayne McCoy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
'Harry and Walter' by Kathy Stinson tells of an unusual but wonderful friendship. The cover got me to request it and I just loved it.

Harry and Walter are neighbors and best friends. They love driving their tractors and eating garden grown tomatoes and jumping in leaves. It doesn't even matter that Harry is four and three-quarters and Walter is ninety-two and a half. They are buddies and they love being together.

Until Harry discovers a 'for sale' sign on his front lawn and he is forced to move
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book from Annick Press via Netgalley in exchange for a review.

Harry and Walter are the best of friends, despite their age difference of 88 years. This sweet story follows all of fun times they have together before Harry moves away. Harry then has to cope with the change that has come into his life and what things are like now without Walter.

I thought this was a sweet little story. I liked the caring relationship between Harry and Walter and it was refreshing to see
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Age makes no difference when it comes to friendship. Harry is a little boy who lives next to an old man named Walter. They play games, eat tomatoes, and even rake leaves together. Harry shows Walter how to play with his robot cars and Walter teaches Harry how to make paper birds. They are the best of friends and it seems nothing can change that; until a 'For Sale' sign shows up in Harry's yard one day.

'Harry and Walter' is the touching story of two unlikely friends.

I loved the illustrations.
Jillian
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had me on the edge of my seat from the moment I saw Walter's age. Spoiler alert: (view spoiler)

I liked that the book showed an intergenerational friendship where both parties seemed to honestly enjoy each other. It didn't start out with Harry's parents telling him to go be nice to the old neighbor, and there were no mentions of Walter missing his own grandchildren and using Harry as a substitute. Instead, these two friends just like spending time
Adrienne
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Harry is four and three-quarters; Walter is ninety-two an a half, but that doesn't stop these best friends from riding tractors, playing croquet, and having all sorts of fun together, but Harry's family moving DOES put an end to their fun...at least temporarily.

It was sweet to see the friendship that transcended generations, and especially how Walter and Harry were reunited at the end of the book. The illustrations are cute; they aren't my personal favorite style but my kids seemed to like them
Amanda
Well, that just made me cry at the end; didn't expect that. Sitting out here at the desk and am crying and just LOVE this book. I wish EVERY child could have a Walter. *sigh*

Changes happen, and even adults have a hard time understanding/coping/moving on from change. What can a child do?

This book moves through the seasons and times in both a child's and a senior's life in such a FUN and compassionate way; Walter's sensitivity and ability to be there for Harry is such a gift. I think of society in
Linda
A sweet story with a happy ending. A young boy and his ninety-two-year-old neighbor are great friends, do many things together, like jumping in leaves, putting jigsaw puzzles together, and eating ripe tomatoes. When Harry learns his family is moving, he is heartbroken. Fortunately, these two great friends are not apart long, because Walter manages to move to an apartment house down the street from Harry. Happy Days are here again! Kathy Stinson's story tells of an unusual and wonderful ...more
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a sweet book. Walter and Harry are best friends. Walter is in his 90s and Harry is only a little kid. They do simple things together, and enjoy their company.

Then, Harry has to move.

This is a story of friendship and change. I love how in the end they find each other again.

True, in life, you don't always find your friends again, but sometimes things work out.

I think this is a good book for kids just because friendships are universal.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available
Alice
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Despite their eight plus year age difference, Harry and Walter are remarkable friends. And then one day, a "For Sale" sign appears in Harry's yard. The friends are devastated but Walter says that things change. And then one day at Harry's new house, something wonderful happens. A wonderful testament to the friendships that can form between the generations.
A magical book about an intergenerational friendship. Harry and Walter is beautiful and filled with nostalgia and melancholy. It reminds me of my grandfather playing with me as a child, and some of the lovely neighbours I had growing up. Poignant and wonderful, both in with the illustrations and the writing.
Richelle Zirkle
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this sweet story about young Harry and his best friend, his elderly neighbor Walter. It's nice and refreshing to see the childlike play of adults with the wondrous play of a child. The relationship between this pair and the vibrant and whimsical illustrations are what make this story special.

I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Cat
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart warming tale of a little 4 year old boy and his 94 year old neighbor and the special bond they share. Illustrations are wonderful! Brought a tear to my eye reading it. Sweet story.
I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Carly
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming story about a small boy and an elderly neighbor who are the best of friends. Beautifully illustrated and will leave you with a smile!

Thank you to Annick Press and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

• We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Jabari Jumps
  • The Day You Begin
  • The Better Tree Fort
  • When Charley Met Grampa
Kathy Stinson, author of internationally acclaimed Canadian children's classic, Red is Best and the TD Award Winner, The Man with the Violin, also writes novels, short stories, and nonfiction for young people of all ages.