Start by marking “One Day on Our Blue Planet . . . in the Antarctic” as Want to Read:
One Day on Our Blue Planet . . . in the Antarctic

One Day on Our Blue Planet . . . in the Antarctic

From breakfast to dinner, dusk to dawn, children will love spending the day with this curious penguin chick.

In the latest volume of Ella Bailey’s picture book exploration of the daily lives of baby animals, we head to the ice shelf to meet a young penguin chick. What does she and her family eat? How many brothers and sisters does she have? What do they do for fun?
Published March 22nd 2016 by Flying Eye Books

To ask other readers questions about One Day on Our Blue Planet . . . in the Antarctic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Day on Our Blue Planet . . . in the Antarctic

Start your review of One Day on Our Blue Planet . . . in the Antarctic
Matt
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Telling a story about a little penguin as well as introducing young readers to the various animals in the Antarctic, this piece is perfect for the inquisitive child in your home. Looking both at the independence of young penguins, the story talks about the final meal between a penguin and her parents before she leaps into the water to find her own way, coming across friend and foe alike. With a sprinkling of education throughout, readers will develop a better understanding for the world around ...more
Adrith Bicchieri
This cute picture book follows a young penguin chick as she leaves the nesting ground for the first time and ventures out into the wildness of the Antarctic.

I love the story, and the color palettes Ms. Bailey has used in her illustrations. The illustrations themselves are very busy, with a lot going on, and it takes some effort to locate the heroine of the tale with her specific shade of dark grey and the specific shade of her blue eyes.

The end papers are printed with lots of illustrations of
paula
Oh, I REALLY like this. In addition to being a fun fact-filled book about an Adelie penguin, the text has a satisfying bouncy rhythm, and the ART looks like yummy-textured linoprints with brushwork accents (although I'm fairly certain it's all digital). Add to all of the above swanky, fibery paper and a color palette full of icy blues and blushy pinks, and I am SOLD.
Drine Psylook
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J’adore les dessins et surtout le character design des manchots.
Les couleurs sont belles et les différentes nuances de bleu m’ont beaucoup plu.
Les images sont un peu chargées donc pour les grands, c’est sympathique et un brin amusant, ça permet de chercher Adélie (reconnaissable grâce à ses yeux turquoise et sa fleur sur la tête), un peu comme dans un “où est Charlie ?“, mais pour les plus jeunes, ça fait un peu trop d’informations donc ils ont eu du mal à rester concentrer. On a cherché et
Diana
A beautifully illustrated picture book with a easy to read, fun story. The story follows an Adélie penguin chick from her nest to the open ocean where she searches for food and swims among whales, seals and other animals. While at sea she avoids predation, rests on floating ice under a sky filled with stars and the southern lights. While I have to disagree with other reviewers that this is a nonfiction book, little ones will learn a bit about the lifecycle of an Adélie penguin and I consider ...more
gina
Mar 14, 2018 rated it liked it
My son liked this one more than me (4 yo) and he was sad to see it go. I think the illustrations are nice and the paper is this sort of thick almost parchment sort of feeling stuff (I'm a fan of slick gloss more than rough texture). I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it as much as my son, but ::shrug:: no biggie bc it was written for him anyway ;)
Cat
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I would say this is more children's non-fiction more than a picture book. There isn't really a 'story', but rather a cutely written 'what penguins do' book. I loved the artwork- subtle and paint like.
Samantha Benton
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
One day on our blue planet was a good book. The illustrations were beautiful. The content was more informative than expected. In a way less engaging and attention grabbing than I expected.
Evan
Shelves: childrens-books
Loved it!
Elizabeth Mar
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
One Day on our Blue Planet by Ella Bailey chronicles the life of an Adélie penguin chick living on the Antarctic, from birth to adulthood. A nonfiction narrative by genre. The storyline is filled with facts about the chick and her physical attributes. For example, “Her streamlined shape makes her an excellent swimmer….”It also describes the animals that coexist in the Antarctic along with the Adélie chick. The book also includes lovely illustrations on both the front and back of different ...more
Andréa
Note: I received a finished hardcover from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2017.
Miss Sarah
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: antarctic, penguins
A penguin leaves her birth home and sets out for a lifetime in the ocean waters meeting the other animals and learning to live on her own skills. Nonfiction esq and simple enough for the right toddler group.
Jesse
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this one for the illustrations. Lots of animals to identify, with a simple story leading you through various landscapes.
Heather Jo
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meggie-list
Kristina Jean Lareau
A great non-fiction picturebook with high quality printing and high quality illustrations. Really a lovely book with informative endpapers.
Htrain
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A book about the life of an young penguin and the challenges of life in the Antarctic.
Holly Letson
A cute story with cute pictures. I enjoyed it.
Andrea
Mar 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Love the illustrations.
Garren
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Forget the bare-bones story. These illustrations of antarctic life are amazing!
Rebecca
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
The illustrations in this book are beautiful!
Lisa Levitt
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
This is a beautiful book that shows the world of a little penguin and all the other animals she encounters.
Patricia McLaughlin
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Prosaic introduction to the life of a penguin in the Antarctic; busy illustrations.
Lauren
May 15, 2018
Megrarian
Apr 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Lambslide
  • Just Because
  • Never Let You Go
  • Harriet Gets Carried Away
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You