Start by marking “Olio” as Want to Read:

Olio

Part fact, part fiction, Tyehimba Jess's much anticipated second book weaves sonnet, song, and narrative to examine the lives of mostly unrecorded African American performers directly before and after the Civil War up to World War I. Olio is an effort to understand how they met, resisted, complicated, co-opted, and sometimes defeated attempts to minstrelize them.

So, while
Published April 5th 2016 by Wave Books

To ask other readers questions about Olio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olio

Start your review of Olio
Brina
Olio can signify a mishmash of elements or variety of musical performance acts. In the case of Tyehimba Jess' ambitious volume of poetry which has won him the 2017 Pulitzer, Olio is miscellaneous recollections, which Jess has pieced together to give a voice to the early African American performers of Tin Pan Alley who had to take a back seat to their white counterparts. In a collection that is indeed a hodge podge of interviews, poems, minstrel songs, letters, and brief essays, Jess has brought ...more
Steven Felicelli
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an overwhelming book. Blind Boone & Edmonia Lewis are two of the most powerful figures in narrative prose or poetry of the last hundred years.

Boone's inability to play Joplin's final outpouring note for note is a gut-wrenching conceit for the inability to fully empathize with another's personal anguish and seems to imply the sin of Slavery (Jim Crow, lynchings, burning churches, et al.) will not and cannot ever be atoned (note for note).

Absolutely blown away by this work. It ranks
Peter Landau
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
History is important, but it takes poetry to bring the facts to life, especially when there are few details and no recordings. How do you revive the musical birth of a nation when even wax cylinders werent wasted in preserving the songs of the black musicians? All we have are ministerial shows and Irving Berlin, who was accused of stealing Alexanders Ragtime Band from the King of Ragtime himself, Scott Joplin.

Joplin appears in the ambitions second collection of poetry by Tyehimba Jess, whose
Read By RodKelly
10 Stars!

This book was overwhelmingly brilliant! It is poetry, performance, history, prose, art, witness, confession...I could go on... The sheer amount of care that went into the creation of this beautiful book is evident...it is impeccably researched and rendered; Jess has excavated the unsung black heroes from the period just after emancipation, giving them ownership of their legacies, all told in intoxicating, dazzling, dizzying language. I've never read anything like this in my life and I
Ellie
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing work. I had to try twice before I was able to enter into it. A compendium of sonnets and lyrical prose, a history of slavery and oppression and race relations (or the cruelty that blacks have suffered but whose spirit was not broken), a series of interviews about Scott Joplin, and much about art, especially music, its role in the black culture.

I feel physically full from this work, unable to completely digest it. I've been listening to Jess' recordings of sections of the poem
Samantha
Hhhhhhhhholy crap, this is an ambitious and complex book. Couple things - I recommend reading Olio in as few sittings as possible, for maximum immersion in the history, characters, story. I also highly recommend listening to Tyehimba Jess's appearance on the Commonplace podcast (https://www.commonpodcast.com/home/20...) in close proximity to your reading of the book - it helps you take a deeper look at the construction of the book and format of the writing, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cade Miller
Most of the poems, when experienced individually, aren't anything remarkable; however, the project as a whole is impressive and certainly unique, combing removable foldouts, poems that can be read in several different ways, all sorts of visual poetry, some wonderful drawings and pictures, and faux interviews that are probably my favorite sections. While I honestly think some of the poem-based sections could've been better served by being less simple in their language and straightforward in their ...more
David
"What part of me is mine that was
not mined from the mind of poets,
artists rewriting the past blow
by blow till it's pulverized past
the barely recognizable?
I was born when I was written,
then hammered out of a mountain."

This is one of the best books I have ever read. Apart from being one of the most ambitious volumes of poetry probably ever, it is also consistently surprisingand never becomes less so over the course of its hefty 230 oversized pages. Jess's project here is a big one: how have
Frank Privette
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book of sonnets, stories and other assorted narrative tools about how African American performers fought against economic oppression by whites after the Civil War. Its an insightful, difficult read, especially for a Latin American who has a very weak (if any, except for understanding the logic of dominance and repression) relationship with the subject at hand.

Its obviously worth your time, even if youre distant, as it opens up a fascinating window into a key and cruel historical
Dan
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pulitzer-poetry
Olio is a unique mixture of history, fiction, poetry and data visualization and was written by Tyehimba Jess. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 2017.

This polyphonic work loosely follows a dozen post civil war era African American entertainers and artists almost lost to history. The great composer Scott Joplin figures prominently in several of the stories. We forget that he died a pauper.

5 stars. An impressive work and labor of love by Jess - to revive these minor historical characters
Caleb Ingegneri
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A work of genius and dedication
Elizabeth☮
When I finally got around to reading this one, I was surprised to find that none of my friends have read it nor have any of them shelved it.

Jess was the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry for this collection of poems and I can totally understand the accolades. This is an amazing, mind-blowing piece of art. I mean I just can't say enough about what a master of words Jess is ... seriously.

The book focuses on the lives of various artists, writers, entertainers from the Antebellum South and beyond. Jess has
Eugenea Pollock
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I must confess that I was slow to understand and appreciate the structure of this bookI was confused by the juxtaposition of interviews, biographical poetry, haiku, artwork, letters, directions for paper-folding, the imagined testimony of sculpture. However, once I got it, I was in awe of this literary resurrection of forgotten history. It is a necessary book, long overdue, that illuminates artistic contributions to Americana that were, at best, overlooked or, at worst, suppressed. Bravo to the ...more
Jen Austin
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to read this book again. I have nothing but good things to say about it. The creativity was so great. This book made me feel emotional. There was never a dull moment. I want to read this book again.
Lianna Bessette
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only does this collection confront our history (and present) in really important ways, but you can also read most of these poems at least three different ways. How does someone write like this? Its wild. Im very impressed. ...more
Amy
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I've never read or seen a poetry book like this. It uses the space on the page in unique ways, and many poems are like "two-for-ones." For instance, there are two columns/stanzas placed side by side, and you can choose to read one column top to bottom, then the other, or you can read all the way across. I believe my favorite of this type is "Duet: Blind Boone Meets Blind Tom, 1889," especially that last line ("This is how freedom feels--soaring through the stars in which I reel" OR "This is how ...more
John
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most remarkable books I have ever read. It is almost historical fiction. It is almost an epic of a people. It is a collection of stylistic performances broad in range and consistent in execution. If it suffers from anything, I think putting the historical material at the end hurts it, as there is something wondrous about taking these historical figures and their almost legendary labors and making a music of them. A music about music in many cases. You have a literal phantom of ...more
Julian BLOWER
very ambitious, which is especially commendable considering the state of poetry in 2016.

the poems are okay. they're better in free form. that's where most of Jess's ability is displayed. he manages to work up some unexpected emotion in the stories of real musicians who lived not too long ago. as for the "syncopated sonnets", they almost always read awkwardly, both because of his struggle with iambic pentameter and his struggle with combining two poems. it very rarely adds significant new
University of Chicago Magazine
Tyehimba Jess, AB'91
Author

From the editors: "Poet Tyehimba Jesss second collection mixes sonnet, song, and narrative to chronicle the experiences of black performers in America from Reconstruction to World War I. Jess, an associate professor of English at the College of Staten Island, brings these mostly unrecorded voices to life and demonstrates how these performers challenged and transcended conceptions of the minstrel."
Weston Richey
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Weston by: David
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Olio is a marvel of contemporary American poetry. It's extraordinarily hard to say more than that in a way that faithfully and comprehensively covers all that there is in this book.

Before even thinking of the content in any substantive way, Olio marks itself in its form as an extremely ambitious, meticulously crafted work. It's difficult to settle on any particular description of its form when we use our traditional array of terms. I'm reticent to call it an out-and-out poetry collection because
Nicole
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mfa, poetry
How do we prove our souls to be wholly human
when the world dont believe we have a soul?
How do we prove black souls holy and human
when the whole world swears we got no souls? (166)

Wow. Have you ever been personally devastated by a book while also realizing that everyone should read this ASAP? That's what happened to me while I read Olio. This is one of those books that I believe is deserved its Pulitzer. I should warn you that because of how it's structured, it's a little hard to get into.
C. Varn
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tyehimba Jess's Olio is an incredibly layered and complicated work that is still, somehow, fairly approachable. Jess's ability to ground a lost history of African-American music through voices like Blind Boone & Edmonia Lewis gives Jess the space to explore a variety of forms both from poetry and music. So Tin Pan Alley comes to life through experimental poetry, interviews, sonnets, lyrics, and bits of music. Part history, part fiction, and all poetic and multigenre, it's a book that truly ...more
Lydia
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok, starting off this review as well every review of poetry I do... I hate pretty much all poetry. I especially hate more modern forms where you can read the poem forwards, backwards, up and down, and around and around. HATE it.

Olio by Tyehimba Jess deals with subject matter than many people don't want to deal with but should. For being mostly a style of poetry I can not stand, they were better than most. I can absolutely see why he won the Pulitzer.

Abby
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
things this book has:

- history lessons on ragtime
- interactive structural poetry
- lists that will make you cry
- a cast of characters
- some of the most incredible, beautiful words, telling stories about survival and the sly wit and tremendous bravery that survival required. words about thriving under impossible conditions.

it was all just really wonderful put together. each page was a surprise and a revelation and you should read it.
David Swatling
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps, like me, you feel a scarcity of poetry in your literary life. Fortune led me to this extraordinary work when I was invited to an intimate lunch with the poet. Syncopated sonnets, ragtime rhythms, minstrel duos. Contrapuntal narratives, part social history and part ghost story. Characters leap from the page with cinematic clarity. Gripping, moving, inspiring.
Mary Flynn
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually, I hate modern poetry. I find it self-indulgent and undisciplined. This was the antithesis of that.

It was astounding, it was magical, it was soulful. In many ways, it was mind-blowing.
Tom Walsh
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice performance of good poetry and interesting history.

Listening to this as an Audible Original performance I enjoyed the music and the beautiful rhythms of Contemporary Black Poetry. Felt like being at a Poetry Slam combined with a lesson in the History of the Blues and the Cultural Appropriation of the Black Experience for entertainment purposes.

America has a long history of doing exactly that and, unfortunately, White America has benefitted mightily from it.
Kristen Nummerdor
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful, truly beautiful words. Always forte.
Ela
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The more I read and reread this book the more my enthusiasm grows. Tyehimba Jess is doing something truly original and innovative in poetry, explores history to make forgotten voices speak in a language that is both absolutely modern and, like geological strata, a carrier of memory. A dictionary entry that is the epigraph to the volume defines "olio" as "a: a miscellaneous mixture of heterogeneous elements; hodgepodge; b: a miscellaneous collection (as of literary or musical selections). | also: ...more
Nick Gardner
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! It's a good feeling to learn about history through poetry. Fact, fiction, and poetry woven throughout in perfect order to build on each other and bring the narrative into the present.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You Do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
  • Soft Science
  • The Dead Drink First
  • Faithful and Virtuous Night
Tyehimba Jess is the author of leadbelly and the Pulitzer Prizewinning Olio. leadbelly was a winner of the 2004 National Poetry Series. Library Journal and Black Issues Book Review both named it one of the "Best Poetry Books of 2005." Jess's second book, Olio, won the 2017 Pulitzer Prize in Poetry, the 2017 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award in Poetry, and the 2017 Book Award for Poetry from the Society of ...more