Start by marking “King John (The Lost and Founds, #4)” as Want to Read:
King John (The Lost and Founds, #4)

King John

(The Lost and Founds #4)

English attorney Alistair Robertson can’t quite believe an astonishing tale of kingship and transformation he hears at Burning Man, the annual counter-culture art festival in the Black Rock desert. Who are the Found Kings? Is “being kinged” as magical as it sounds?

Determined to find the mysterious garage mechanic named Vin who helps men “remember who they were always mean
ebook, 1st edition, 245 pages
Published September 10th 2015 by Pickwick Ink Publishing

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

The 4th book in the Lost and Founds series takes place in 2002 at Burning Man. Now, I was only vaguely familiar with Burning Man before this book (I watched a very sandy flash mob marriage proposal there on youtube and that was the extent of it), but with a little help from Wikipedia, I got the gist. Burning Man is SO the logical place for Vin to be. It is eccentric and full of life and energy, so I wasn't surprised at all that he gravitated there. Through a set of unusual and fortuit
Kaje Harper
Another lovely book in this series.

One of the things I really appreciate about The Lost and Founds series is that each book has a different flavor. Each one shares the main character of Vin Vambly, the theme, the story arc. Each has the same playfulness, with a marvelous joy in language, with moments of humor and moments of deep emotion, but they resonate with me in different ways.

If you have not yet read these, begin with book 1 - King Perry - In this book we meet Vin Vanbly, magician, mystic,
LenaRibka
King John is the 4th installment in the The Lost and Found series. But if you think that after reading the previous three books you're smart enough to know much about a King Weekend or at least how it works, be prepared for a big surprise. Because King John doesn’t follow any rules and any schema.

And it is probably the most intriguing thing about King John.
Was it a right decision? I don’t know.
It has its pros and cons, and it will have its admirers and naysayers.

Edmond Manning is an exception
Vivian
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
"I don’t know what the fuck is happening anymore. But I am catching on.”

That is a King Weekend in a nutshell. Can't be explained, must be experienced. But don't be fooled, this isn't some half-assed adventure. To paraphrase Ingmar Bergman, only someone who is well prepared is able to improvise.

Vin has kinging down, but he's got a tough nut to crack this time. Manning lets you laugh freely and then steals your breath away. Like goofing around when you careen into a table and all you see in that
Sofia
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it

“Men fall down. Kings get back up.”

Being an unplanned kinging, this was different. Manning and through him Vin are usually focused, sure what they are doing, ready to leave us and the king-in-waiting on our toes, faltering about. Not so this time, this time it is Vin who is unsure, frustrated.

This is as much Vin’s book as it is the king’s and I surely don’t mind that. It was about time that we had some more of Vin. OK I know he needs to hide but it’s time because all this is taking its toll on
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
When you are loved, you cannot possibly be boring.

For me, this was a slow reveal through the first half of the book. Not in a frustrating way but it was deign to give up what was really going on here before it was time, especially regarding Vin. When it happened, it didn’t hit me like a freight train, that’s now how Manning tells stories. Instead, it gently enveloped me, swirling and then finally landing, like a soft blanket, settling down and warming me, cozying around me.

Here’s how it happe
KatieMc
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've never been to burning man and I have no desire, but I'm glad I was able to experience it by proxy through John's kinging. As usual, several questions answered, many not. It's my dumb luck that I finished this just befor the next one comes out. Question for the king weekend veterans... Should I read the Daniel stories before I dive into the last one?
Ulysses Dietz
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

I was palpitating in anticipation of Edmond’s latest book. Once I got my hands on it I plunged right in, and managed to read all of it over a two-day period—one of them a strange half-working day that took me into NYC on the train and all over the city in a taxi and on the subway. It was the anniversary of 9/11, and the setting for “King John” is a year after 9/11, which is very much on Vin Vanbly’s mind as he walks the dusty avenues of Burning Man, 2002.

Before I started writing this, I used th
Samantha
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read
I was lucky enough to be a proofreader of this book. It was definitely different from anything I've ever read, and I wish I had gotten to read the previous books before, but then again, I guess I am able to have an interesting perspective on this since I didn't read anything other in the series and still managed to get it.

Thank you, Edmond, for letting me be a part of the process of this book. It was a joy.
Lori
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are not enough stars on gr to show how much I love Vin Vanbly. Review previously at bmbr.

I've only read book one and four in this series and I absolutely need to remedy that. This book is brilliant. BRILLIANT. Edmond Manning writes prose to make my heart sing. The escapism of his stories is so complete that I find myself wandering lost beside his characters.

Vin Vanbly is back. Back with his unique take on humanity and people and living. This time though it is not him who has chosen the per
John
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I’ve loved the Lost and Founds books. They’re playful, clever stories full of word-play and riddles, and deeply compassionate loving adventures as well. What makes them special, I think, is the invitation the author makes to readers to empathise with the protagonists. The lost-and-soon-to-be-found kings are a bit Everyman; most readers, I think, would find fitting into their shoes quite comfortable. To one degree or another, I do, anyway.

King John is uniquely so to me. I’m sure I’m not giving up
Helena Stone
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Allow me to start this review at the end: Really, Edmond Manning, I mean really? You’re leaving me hanging on not one but two cliffhangers? I’ve killed for less—that’s all I say.

Okay, now I have gotten that off my chest I should probably warn you that the chances of this turning into a coherent review are slim at best. It’s far more likely to turn into a quote-riddled gush fest, and you want to bear in mind I will have deleted numerous quotes which touched me as much as the ones I’ll keep did be
Sammy Goode
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I must admit--I am not very clever, not when it comes to riddles or subtle clues. For some reason, while I can often suss out who the bad guy is in a mystery novel, I really do very poorly at picking up clues in any other form of writing. For this reason, I hesitated to review the latest novel in Edmond Manning's Lost Kings series, King John. I was afraid I could not do it justice--not give it the credit it deserved as being a clever and multi-layered work of fiction. With these thoughts in the ...more
Diverse
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2016
After each Lost and Founds book I’m always left speechless and saturated with emotion. Each book tells a story of a lost king and Vin Vanbly the man who makes them remember. Vin… I don’t know where to even begin with this character. He breaks my heart with every page. When he loves his kings it’s breathtaking, selfless. Though his wish is that they never leave him he is always the first to say goodbye. Every kinging takes a piece of him away, he gets further from his one true self.

King John is
Sharon
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a persistant passenger on the roller coaster that is the Lost and Founds series. King John does not disappoint. Series usually lose me after a while because each story slowly becomes just more of the same with the names changed to protect the not so innocent. Not so with the Lost and Founds. Edmond Manning has perfected the art of the lure. Each succeeding kinging is more unique than the last. You can't put it down because you are so drawn in to the journey of each new found king as your he ...more
Trio
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
fantastic! I love this series, and the author writes so beautifully... the story just flows perfectly and grabs me in a very intense way. Gotta admit that sneaking, worried feeling that I haven't been able to shake since I started this series though - I don't trust Edmond Manning not to make me cry. It's like Vin is my friend, but I'm about to find out some things about him that I don't really like. (sorry Vin, it isn't your fault *wink*).

Excellent story!
Katie
Kings are not born: they are made by universal hallucination. –George Bernard Shaw

I’ve been trying to wrangle my thoughts for days after finishing this book. It’s not working. My brain is scattered in so many directions right now with this book and this series in general. Take away: this book (the series, really) has made an impact.

How do I find the adequate words to describe the magnificence and brilliance that is The Lost and Founds series?

I don’t know that I can, but here is where I’ll try.

Th
Becca
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is it with you authors and cliffhangers? ARGH! Anyway. I didn't care for this one as much. Not so much not liking the book, as in I didn't care for this 'kinging’ as much. Maybe I'm used to Vin driving me nuts? Lol. The kinging was good. Don't get me wrong. Profound with a message as always, but it wasn't the same. What affected me more this time, was Vin himself. Especially the ending.

Alistair has been searching for 'the mechanic guy’ for the years. Ever since he heard of a mass named Liam
Claudia
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a rollercoaster. At first I thought I knew where this was going. I was all cocky in my corner thinking to myself "This is it!" and throwing confident glances at Edmond Manning to make him know he wasn't getting me this time around. Halfway through it all my theories were flushed down the toilet then I tried to salvage some of them and finally just accepted whatever Edmond was throwing my way. For the first time, I wanted Vin to fail. For most of the book I didn't want this kinging to ha ...more
AGandyGirl

“I’ll never forget your face. Your freshly ironed shirt. You terrified all of us. You know we almost didn’t come back the next year because you fucking freaked everyone out. You walked out of the desert followed by three wolves. Three… dogs or whatever. They walked behind you at a distance. As soon as you reached people, they turned and ran off.”

Definitely some intriguing moments, a terror filled night in the desert and one heart-wrenching kinging.  This one though moved quite slow for me comp

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★★ ~ 5 Stars ~ ★★★★★ ~ 5 Star Series ~ 1st 5 Star Series in 8 Years on GR ~
King John's King Weekend is during the last weekend of the 2002 Burning Man which to be honest, I didn't know much about, but this author has a way of educating you during each King's weekend.

“Once there was a tribe of men,” I say in a strong voice, audible to none but him, “a tribe populated entirely of kings. Odd, you may think, and wonder how any work got done in such a society with everyone making rules. But these
ItsAboutTheBook
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksmitten
Review can be read at It's About The Book

King John is the fourth book in the Lost and Found series. The books are not really standalone and should be read in order to gain the most understanding of the over-arching themes that are foundations the stories are built on.

It’s 2002 and Vin Vanbly is once again in his spiritual home – Burning Man, an annual week long festival held in a Nevada desert that celebrates art, uniqueness and radical acceptance. Amidst the space robots, sparkle ponies and
Shell
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Like all of the Lost and Founds, King John has left me with a book hangover. I know that no matter what I read next, it won't pull the same raw emotions from me. Edmond's writing is brilliant and as with his other books, I felt as if I were right there at Burning Man with Vin and John.

Trying to explain anything in this series is futile so I won't but they're easily at the top of my highest list of favorite books. Defo recommend.
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
more to come soon. AMAZING
Celine
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: effing-amazing
this is my favourite so far. I really really connected with John. His stubbornness, the trust issues, the bravado-façade.

How John brings out the best/worst in Vin is stunning to read. God, he can be so annoying and yet, the love never stops. I felt so connected to people around me. and i felt the need to reconnect & to confirm the bonds. What this series does to me.. unbelievable.

Out of all the King-books this is probably the one i will re-read. the atmosphere is crafted with such skill, i
Kaye Hallows
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
With every book in the Lost and Founds series, Edmond Manning makes us fall in love with Vin, with Vin's lovers, with all the Found Kings, and maybe even with ourselves. These profoundly beautiful stories are changing the way I think about the people in my life and how we all see each other. I know I'm going to be very sad when I finish the last book in the series!
Claire Simmons
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars****

Wow, another great book in the Lost and Founds series. I wasn't a big fan of John's personality for the majority of the book. But I knew it'd get better at the end - and it definitely did! The endings to these books are always amazing. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Ikhneumon
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've given up trying to assign a rating to the Lost and Founds, because, really, it devolves into a popularity contest among Vin's kings, and I'm sure he would never approve of trying to assign any sort of ranking to these men he loves so dearly.

That said, I got Alistair viscerally, in a way I did not Mai and Rance, in spite of all their glorious righteous anger and their deeply conflicted love for their respective realms. Alistair may not be the king of my heart (that's Perry, always and foreve
Aislinn
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deciding to read the next book in The Lost and Founds series is deciding to jump on an emotional rollercoaster that few books evoke for me. This latest book in the series was no exception. After stepping back in time each time Vin kings someone in the first three books, we find ourselves jumping forward in time to a point after the events in King Perry.

The King weekend of this book takes place at Burning Man the year after the 9/11 attacks. What a brilliant move this is! Burning Man is the perfe
Keith Jarvis
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is not your typical book review in that it's as much about my reactions as it is about the novel - but you can read summaries elsewhere about the series and this volume. Edmond Manning has given his readers another installment of his psychoactive and addictive series "The Lost and Founds" in King John. This latest episode has us back once again in sequential time, clearly heading towards some big event in the life of protagonist/narrator Vin Vanbly. When reading King John I once again found ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Please add a book to an existing series 5 94 Aug 30, 2015 03:18PM
Edmond Manning has always been fascinated by fiction: how ordinary words could be sculpted into heartfelt emotions, how heartfelt emotions could leave an imprint inside you stronger than the real world. Mr. Manning never felt worthy to seek publication until recently, when he accidentally stumbled into his own writer’s voice that fit perfectly, like his favorite skull-print, fuzzy jammies. He fina ...more

The Lost and Founds (6 books)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • King Mai (The Lost and Founds, #2)
  • The Butterfly King (The Lost and Founds, #3)
  • Come Back To Me (The Lost and Founds, #5)
  • King Daniel (The Lost and Founds #6)