Start by marking “The Last Days of Innocence: America at War, 1917-1918” as Want to Read:
The Last Days of Innocence: America at War, 1917-1918

The Last Days of Innocence: America at War, 1917-1918

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the Spring of 1917, America went to war with an innocent determination to re-make the world. When the smoke lifted in November 1918, the nation emerged with its sense of purpose shattered, its certainties shaken, and with a new and unwelcome self-knowledge. Seventy-five thousand American soldiers were dead, and back home a Pandora's box of suspicions and surveillance ha ...more
Published November 24th 1998 by Vintage (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Days of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Days of Innocence

Clif Hostetler
Aug 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Excerpt
Source: https://delanceyplace.com/view-archiv...

"As for the [American] survivors [of World War I], those neither killed nor seriously wounded, at the Armistice 1,980,654 men were in Europe, in transit, or in Russia. Another 1,689,998 were in camp in America. Getting home was the only thought in most men's minds. ... When the veterans finally did reach home, they looked for some recognition of what they had achieved, some understanding of what they had endured; but time after time they we
Jason
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
A meaty book with a narrow focus. You will learn a lot about America in WWI. The book adroitly interlaces chapters between Americans on the battlefield and Americans in the Homeland. It describes American political and cultural proclivities during the first few years of the war, while we as a nation were observing, and the Allies were engaged. It then discusses our entry into the war--mobilization, training, and fielding of Pershing's Army. It details the horror of battlefield maneuver. And it a ...more
'Aussie Rick'
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-military, ww1

The Last Days of Innocence: America at War, 1917-1918 offers the reader a decent and balanced view of America's role and involvment in the Great War. If you wanted one book that would provide you with a detailed account of the United States' role in the Great War this is it. The author's cover every aspect of America's involvement in WW1.

This book covers everything from the gradual decline in civil liberties, the increase in Govt. agencies power over the individual, the war industry the trainin
Temoca
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to supplement my WW1 unit and found a ton of material to add to my lessons. I think I had just about every other page sticky noted! Of course there were some pieces I skimmed over once I realized I would not be adding it to my curriculum, but those pieces were very few actually.

I wish I read this during the summer when I had more time to dig into it more. I might pick it back up and do just that this summer. If you like historical text, this is a great read for you.
Gretchen
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
social political history of making of the US military machine through the world war 1 MOBILIZATION. sad and illuminating. organization and power. a little longwinded in the american battle scenarios. got it. "American Expeditionary Forces" didnt know what they were doing but were very brave. the book's main point of intertwining the politics of the homefront is relentlessly argued to the benefit of the history of war in the twentieth century.
Mike
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in America's role in WWI
Great study of America in World War I. It discusses the run up to the war, the mobilization of the military and their subsequent baptism by fire in France, effects on the home front, and the depressing aftermath of it all. It will make you realize the US had little to gain by entering this conflict.
Dogfood411
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: navy-library
This was a very interesting look at the effect of the war on most of the US. It was easy to follow, covered enough of the other players to give it a broad view, and peppered in several interesting stories.
Eric
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
America's preparation, participation, and the aftermath of both, in World War I. (I saw here the glimmerings of what I would later see as huge problems in the way America goes about its war-fighting mission and preparation.)
Mike Squire
Needs more than one map.
Conner
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good one-volume history of the American part of WWI.
Mark