Start by marking “A Dark, Dark Cave” as Want to Read:
A Dark, Dark Cave

A Dark, Dark Cave

On a cold night, under a pale moon, a brother and sister explore a dark, dark cave. Strange creatures skitter along the walls while bats brush past. A wild howl makes the cave feel just a teensy bit darker. But readers are in for a delightful surprise when a beam of light reveals a softer side of the cave.

Told in spare rhyming text alongside stunning illustrations, A Dark,
Published May 24th 2016 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Dark, Dark Cave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark, Dark Cave

Beckyt
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
After hearing the illustrator speak about this book before publication, I'd been looking forward to seeing the illustrations and reading the story. It was a delight! I like the depiction of the children's imaginative play, wherever the location. So much fun!
Colona Public Library
I loved this book. It is about a brother and sister exploring a dark cave that turns out to be a sheet over some kitchen chairs. The kids were using their imagination. I think this would be a great book to read to kids to show them they don't need fancy toys to have some fun.
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
A Dark, Dark Cave is a story of two kids exploring a cave. And things happen in the cave, scary things, wonderful things, all sorts of things. Then a father figure appears and knocks the kids back into reality and tells them that they have to play quietly because the baby is asleep. Then they are no longer in a cave, but some where else.

This is a story about imagination. The kids are playing in some sort of blanket/pillow fort that they built in a room in the house. For this story it is a cave,
Ramon Requena
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 230
This story follows a brother and sister, with their dog, as they go on an adventure into a dark cave full of creatures. It is then revealed that the cave is a blanket fort in their room and their father wants them to be quiet. They then decide to ride horses, which is not quiet at all. This book is about the power of imagination and the shape it can take in a child's mind.
The media used in this book is that of crayon and water color paint. This makes the book appear to be older, which makes the
Brittany McLean
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
A Dark, Dark Cave is a short adventure book about a brother and sister who encounter lots of spooky things while walking through a "cave". This book is a WOW book for me because I believe lots of kindergartners and first graders could relate to playing pretend and using their imaginations to have fun with ordinary items around their homes. Additionally, the author was "invested" and began the book as if these two were in reality, walking through a cave. The brother and sister have created a fort ...more
Sheri
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is about imagination and what you'll find in a dark dark cave. The rhyming book talks about exploring the cave and the things you'll find until the children are sent outside to play with horses.
Kelly
Imagination carries these two siblings to a dark, dark cave. It's a nice enough story about imagination, but I didn't find the illustrations especially appealing.
Julie
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book lets you see into the imagination of a brother and sister. The illustrations are abstract and imaginative, reflecting what the children would see as they play.
Cindy
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful for preschool children identifying mysteries in a cave.
Linda Atkinson
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
What fun! Pretend play!
Heidi
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book starts out a bit spooky, then turns into a sweet homage to the joys of imagination and play. And the father's need to remind the kids to quiet down definitely rings true.
Alyssa Smith
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This picture book tells the story of two kids exploring a dark cave which turns out to be a fort they've created. They use their imaginations as they play to explore a new land.
Amanda
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was unexpected! Love the twist at the end!

Love the illustrations, and I can totally relate right now to trying to get a baby to sleep and telling kids to quiet it down. Funny.
Kathy Broadnax
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute!!
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

A Dark, Dark Cave is probably my favorite of the picture books we received this Spring. It follows two children into a dark, dark cave where they encounter creepy creatures crawling the walls, and yellow eyes lurking in darkness, all of which turns out to be the product of their imaginations. The illustrations are richly colorful, and once you realize what the cave actually is, there are details in the illustrations and on the endpapers that
Mary
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Great for a read-aloud. Great use of imaginations. Love the illustrations.
Kate Puleo Unger
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Funnily enough, the repetition in In a Dark, Dark Cave got on Christopher's nerves. He thought this book was boring. And the words were maybe a little too poetic for him, I'll admit that.

In the story, a boy and a girl are exploring a dark, dark cave. In the end, it turns out that they're imagining the whole thing. Their father comes to tell them to quiet down, so they don't wake the sleeping baby. They're playing under a blanket tent in their playroom (or somewhere), so they switch gears and ima
Linda
Using repetition and anticipation that will delight young children, this is the perfect read aloud. We're taken through a dark, dark cave with all the spooky things one can imagine, until an unexpected creature shows up too. This is wonderful playtime, and I suspect many kids will know how useful a flashlight can be. The illustrations are fun, and dark, with odd eyes appearing, and a few creatures crawling along the walls. There are several surprises that you and those you're reading to will lov ...more
Jana
Young readers will have lots of fun playing along with the brother and sister in this cute picture book. It's a cold night under a pale moon and these intrepid children go exploring in a dark, dark cave. This would be a great way to talk about making predictions as readers try to guess what they'll find inside this cave. The illustrations were rendered in watercolor, pencil, colored pencil, and ink and assembled digitally.
Peace_Love_Reading
We loved this one !!! I recommend it for anyone with young kids. It made my sons imagination expand and he was reading the words along with me . My son told me his favorite part was when we found out it wasn't a cave and they were in their bedroom . I loved the joy and excitement on his face . Great read !!!
Lynn
I think picture books that challenge the imagination and provide foreshadowing are perfect for developing imagination in young minds, and this book fits that need. Even the illustrations provide clues for the observant reader.
The ending was a bit abrupt considering the long lead up to the first surprise.
Kenneth
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Imagination is great in this book. The book starts with a brother and sister out on an adventure. You see what they see, you hear what they hear, and then you realize what was in the cave. The suspense had my daughter on edge. The surprise near the end was extremely impressive! Recommended for a simple snuggle up and read night.
Heidi-Marie
This is a longlist runner for Beehives? I mean, it's cute. The illustrations are nice and give a child something to look at and imagine in a lap-read or read-alone. And the slight twist near the end is kind of funny. But, for Beehive? I don't know. A good filler for preschool storytime, and could work in Toddler as well.
Morgan
A Dark, Dark Cave is a newer children's book as well. I love the story behind this book and how it is very relate-able to kids. The characters are funny and the illustrations are very complimentary of the story line.
Margaux
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Sweet story in verse. Little boy and girl imagine they're in a dark, dark cave.... but is it a cave?
Kate Hastings
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
PK to gr 1. Pair with Going on a Bear Hunt. Siblings explore a mysterious cave. What is lurking there? Rhyming text and packed with imagination.
Melissa
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The pictures and story are both well done. Cute characters as well.
Edward Sullivan
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun with imaginative play.
Michael Fitzgerald
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Touches on the joys of imaginative play, but doesn't go nearly far enough.
Debby Baumgartner
Brother and sister are playing dark, dark cave when their father reminds they might wake the baby.