Start by marking “Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks” as Want to Read:
Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks

Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks

These ninja chicks are anything but chicken!

When Hensel and Gretel's dad gets snatched by a fox, the sisters put their ninja skills to work to track him down before he can be stir-fried.

But are these two little chicks ready to take on a dark tangled forest, a tricky house made of corn bread, and an even trickier fox?

This plucky pair isn't giving up without a fight!

KIYA!
Published May 24th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hensel and Gretel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hensel and Gretel

YA Reads Book Reviews
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nichole
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole.

Definitely one of the best picture books around! My Story Time kids LOVED this book! Not only did they love it the first time, but then they demanded that I read it right over again! They stayed just as engaged and interactive the second time around - if not more so!

I loved the rhyming words in this book! Everything blended really well together, and it was super fun! The story stayed consistent throughout the whole book and the kids were
Paul Orsino
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
With a menacing fox on the loose and their Ma and Pop missing, Hensel and Gretel decide to take things into their own hands and enroll in the 3 Pigs Dojo (which seems to be owned by the Three Ninja Pigs). This cleverly crafted fractured fairy tale shows our Hensel and Gretel learning ninjutsu, leaving a trail of breadcrumbs and stumbling upon a house made of cornbread. The ninja chicks muster up all of their training to save their family and avoid becoming chicken pot pie, stir-fry, or any other ...more
Sara Grochowski
Corey Rosen Schwartz, Rebecca J. Gomez, and Dan Santat can keep offering up these fractured fairy tales until the end of my days and I'll be content. It always takes me a couple reads to get the rhythm of these down for read aloud, but it is so much fun once it clicks! As a kid who grew up on a farm, I'm all too familiar with chickens falling prey to the sneaky fox. Not only does this book take on Hansel and Gretel, it also twists the not-so-happy ending most chickens have when confronted with a ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an action-packed picture book! Hensel and Gretel are chicks (the birds) determined to do something about the disappearance of their mother and father at the stealth of a wily fox. They take lessons in ninjutsu and learn to throw, block, and quietly creep so the fox can't outfox them. When he does trick Hensel, Gretel has to use all her ninja training to save her family.

This is a funny story in rhyme and rich illustrations.
Zina
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
Loved this fractured tale of Hansel and Gretel. This was one of the funniest tales I have read. The characters are so cool, and they rhyme and kick all through the story. Hensel and Gretels parent have been taken by the fox, but little does he know these two sisters on his tracks and they know ninjitsu. They find the foxes cottage in the woods made of cornbread and they take a bite out of it. While battling to save their parents Gretel is captured and uses an unusual tool to free herself and Han ...more
Margaret
A very loose retelling of Hansel and Gretel, with H and G being badass ninjas. I like the premise, but this one was a lot of fighting and not much story. I didn't like it as much as Three Ninja Pigs, but I imagine a lot of kids will find it funny.
Amanda
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the colorful illustrations, the Japanese twist and that the story is told in limericks!
Natasha Jones
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
“You two Ninja Chicks got us out of that fix, and Justice -not dinner- was served” (N.P). A very unique spin on a classic tale. Hensel and Gretel Ninja Chicks is essentially Hansel and Gretal but the two protagonist are chickens and the antagonist is a fox. They use their ninja skills to rescue their parents from being stir fried and restore freedom back to the chickens.

I give Hensel and Gretel Ninja Chicks a solid 4 stars. They stayed true to the original plot to the best of their ability and a
Celeste_pewter
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually hadn't heard of Corey Rosen Schwartz and Rebecca J. Gomez's fractured ninja fairytales before receiving Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks in the mail, but after opening the packaging and laughing in delight for a full minute straight at the cover, I knew that this was something I needed to read immediately.

(Pro-tip: if it involves chickens, ninjas or Dan Santat's artwork, I'm in. If it involves all three at the same time? Well. That's just a foregone conclusion.)

Schwartz and Gomez int
Kirsti Call
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adore Corey Rosen Schwartz's rollicking fractured fairy tales. This is a great read-aloud with spot on illustrations and engaging characters. Filled with witty puns and clever rhymes this story resonates with me and my kids. We are backyard chicken farmers and just 2 days ago I found a fox with one of my chickens in its mouth. We saved the chicken (this time)! I adore how the chicks save their parents through hard work and determination. This story empowers kids by helping them understand that ...more
Jillian Heise
I love Corey Rosen Schwartz's fractured fairy tales with her Ninja animal characters. The rhyming, tongue in cheek references, and Dan Santat's illustrations work together to make a strong addition to any picture book, fairy tale, library, or classroom collection. Students (younger and older) always laugh when reading these books.
Brenda Kahn
This fractured fairy tale in rhyme is rollicking good fun made even more hilarious by the brilliant illustrations. Groan-worthy puns and plenty of visual humor are sure to make this a storytime favorite.
Serina
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Comic book art style makes this one an instant appeal to kids of all ages. Really enjoyed the rhyming scheme. I don't know if its spectacular enough to be golden sower. This author has his other books, that are same style.
Ashley
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Humorous twist on an old tale that's sure to bring more than one giggle to the story listening crowd.
Michele Knott
I really like all of Corey Rosen Schwartz's fractured takes. They are funny, have great kid appeal, and are a fun take on familiar tales.
Rommel Sison
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
7-year-old daughter: 🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
5-year-old daughter: 🐔🐔🐔🐔🐔
Heydi Smith
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
I'm going to confess right now that every time I've read this book I always read "Hensel" as Hansel. I'm sorry, I realize it's inaccurate and belies the intended pun but there it is.

This book is great fun. I appreciated that there were so many female characters in this story. I appreciated that it was the daughters saving the parents.

I like how suspenseful it was written for such a short story. The illustrations are great and have lots of puns and cleave witticism to look for.

For a while afte
Rachel
In this hilarious mashup up of fable and Eastern action flick, two chickens become ninjas in order to save their parents. Like their namesakes, they make their way through the woods, leaving a trail of crumbs that do no good, until they reach a delicious looking house. When the door opens though, its not a witch that answers, but a fox. Between the two birds, the fox is no match. Some quick thinking, and high flying kicks bring the story to a satisfying conclusion. While Ninja Chicks is mainly b ...more
James
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
My children loved The Three Ninja Pigs and Ninja Red Riding Hood and would listen as I read them repeatedly until they could read them on their own. This book in the same vein by the same creators is serviceable, well illustrated, but has not encouraged the same interests and involvement from my children. Still, it is richly illustrated with colors that pop and readily engage. Worth a read if your kids enjoy the others or like the original Hansel and Gretel, but my kids seemed to think this work ...more
Miss Kelly
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I do a tween book club at the library I work at and even though the book club is really geared towards "tweens" I get all ages attending the program - younger mainly. Our theme/subject of books we will be discussing in November is Ninjas. I wanted to have a various age range of books on hand this time. Last month theme/subject was scary stories and GOOSEBUMP books. They were too old for the majority of the crowd that attended the program. I think both the younger and Tweens will enjoy this Ninja ...more
Isabella Santana
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hensel and Gretel: Ninja Chicks is a 5 STAR book! I like this book because it has cool ninja chicks who say "hiya!" They use their ninja skills to save other animals from the mean fox. I like that the ninja chicks leave crumbs in the forest so they can find their way back home, but then the crumbs are missing! That really shocked me. I was worried they would get lost forever. I think kids should read this story because the ninja chicks fight hard and save the day. I also think kids should read t ...more
Gina Miller
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hensel and Gretel, ninja chick brother and sister see a problem... a menacing fox has kidnapped their mother, their pop is shaken, and they go to work to solve the problem. I love how this clever story is written in rhythm and rhyme with a dialogue bubble pop-up every now and then. It also puts a whole new light on Kung Pao chicken. I might have to think twice the next time I go for Chinese.
Amy Lafleur Meyers
A fox took their mother. Enter Hensel & Gretel ninja chicks! They train to fight the fox and save their parents. Like Hansel and Gretel, the ninjas get lost in forest, but in a Japanese setting and with ninjas.
This book is full of action and will be hit with ninja lovers and those who like creative adaptations of fairy tales. Another fun fairy tale ninja retelling from Corey Rosen Schwartz!
Elizabeth
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fractured fairy tale of Hansel and Gretel, the ninja chicks are fighting a fox (instead of a witch). Hilarious puns and rhymes with the physical action sweeping the pages.
Favorite sign at the martial arts studio: "Get empowered, not devoured."
Anoush Emrazian
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this to Ben for bed. :-)

I love this re-imagining of a traditional fairy tale (and this one is a pretty loose retelling). There are plenty of clever twists and images ("Hen"-sel the chick! hahahahaha). I love the rhyme and think it makes reading it aloud even more fun. :-)
Lara
Another fun fractured fairy tale from the Schwartz-Gomez team! The rhymes are great, bouncy without being sing-songy. The illustrations are bright and clear, good for an audience. Plus martial arts action! Good for a storytime on fractured fairy tales, martial arts, chickens, foxes...
Jennie
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this to my four-year old who picked it off the library shelf and checked it out, but was too nervous to read it. Afterwards, she said, "Oh, that was what it was. Cool." The prose and rhyming was fun. An enjoyable and humorous twist on Hansel and Gretel.
Vivian
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very imaginative retelling of the Hansel and Gretel story, with the children freeing their captive parents. My favorite themes included here are "preparation and training" and "planning and teamwork".

This story is more suitable for a K-3 audience.
Pamela Powell
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute spin on the classic fairy tale. Hensel and Gretel are chicks saving their parents from the fox. Fun illustrations. This would be great to read with one or two children so you could savor the pictures.
  • Yaks Yak: Animal Word Pairs
  • Blue on Blue
  • One Day in the Eucalyptus, Eucalyptus Tree
  • School's First Day of School
  • Everybody Sleeps (But Not Fred)
  • One Day, The End.: Short, Very Short, Shorter-Than-Ever Stories
  • Here Comes the Easter Cat
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • A Perfectly Messed-Up Story
  • Matilda and Hans
Corey is the author of HOP! PLOP! (Walker, 2006), THE THREE NINJA PIGS (Putnam, 2012) GOLDI ROCKS AND THE THREE BEARS (Putnam, forthcoming) and NINJA RED (Putnam, forthcoming). Corey has no formal ninja training, but she sure can kick butt in Scrabble. She lives with three Knuckleheads in Warren, NJ.