Start by marking “Kingsway West” as Want to Read:
Kingsway West

Kingsway West

(Kingsway West)

After thirteen years in prison, a Chinese gunslinger named Kingsway Law just wants to find his wife. But in a fantastical American Old West crackling with magic, monsters, and racist vigilantes, trouble just won't leave him be. And in this case, trouble is a woman with a magic sword who needs his help.

Greg Pak (Action Comics, The Incredible Hulk) spins a fantastical tale
Published June 13th 2017 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Kingsway West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingsway West

Start your review of Kingsway West
Mir
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tropey but well executed Weird West alt history adventure.

The protagonist was too cliche and Ah Toy quite annoying, so I'm hoping the next volume features more of Strode, the winged African American veteran who is willing to work for whichever side enables her to get the magical material she and her fellow scouts need to remain winged. Also hoping for more detail on Algonquin steampunk.
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

I just can't get over the startling and rather uncomfortable similarities between this and East of West. No, I've never been what you'd call a fan of Jonathan Hickman's acid trip series, but at least it had it's own identity. This series seems to have all those tropes we know and love:

+ Lone Wolf Gunslinger
+ Hunt for the MacGuffin that can Solve All Problems
+ Joining the Rebels
+ The Native Americans live in city states with much better machinery than everyone else (come on, that's
Billie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm really into weird Westerns right now, for some reason, and this filled the bill nicely. However, I had two issues with it that kept it from being a four-star read. First, and this may just be me, there was very little difference between the Mexican faces and the Chinese faces&mdsah;most of the differentiation came from the clothes. Second, the back of the book claims that this collects the entire arc, but the story doesn't reach a really satisfying conclusion. If Dark Horse chose to cancel t ...more
Dávid Novotný
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting mix of western, fantasy and alternative history. World where newly found element red gold serves as source of power for mechanic and magic. Chinese, mexicans and americans are fighting over its limited source, and in the middle of it, chinese army deserter is looking for his lost mexican wife. Nice ideas, but four issues doesn't allow much world building or sophisticated story.
Chad
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The old west meets high fantasy. I wanted to like this more than I did. The concept is great. China has settled California and they have dragons. Cowboys ride giant jackalopes. Visually it's a really great looking world. Where it falls apart some is the story. There were several times where I was just wondering what had just happened. It was really unclear.

Received an advance copy from Dark Horse and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.
Relstuart
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dark-horse
Fantasy meets an alternate history post-Civil War American West. The author divides a couple factions along somewhat racial lines, an interesting choice given that America is well known as a melting pot of cultures and races becoming one. But, this is part of the fun of alternate history, you invent divergent paths and explore what could have been.

The main character is a soldier with killer abilities that left the war years ago and found peace in the badlands away from everyone. This peace is s
Quentin Wallace
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a huge Weird Western fan, even having written a few myself, so I knew I'd probably enjoy this series. I did enjoy it, but I also felt like I got dropped into the middle of the story. Sometimes that's fine, but this is high fantasy and some world building is required as there is a lot going on. Overall I prefer my Weird Westerns with more horror rather than fantasy, but for what this was it was enjoyable. It felt more like a snapshot of a story in progress rather than anything complete or eve ...more
Dan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
This had potential. Nothing against it being a Western blended with fantasy. It was way too rushed and messy. No background is given to explain why the world is the way it is. Characters have stupid names such as "ah toy" and let alone the title character's name is Kingsway Law...smh. Like I said maybe if they fleshed this out some it would not have been as bad as it came off.
Samantha Bee
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
A really cool concept of an alternative history with some fantasy elements thrown in. I liked the art too, especially the more sepia toned pages, which really fit with the story. However, a lot of the plot felt like it was rushing forward, and I feel like this needed to be a lot longer in order to provide a more complete feeling story. So a good read, but maybe not executed as well as it could have been.
Nicola Mansfield
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is short and didn't provide much room for character development but plenty of background was presented to give us a good feel for them. I liked all three main characters. This western fantasy gives us an interesting world where the present United States is divided into ethnic areas. In the north, there is the United Staes of New York, in the Oklahoma region are the blacks, there is an Indian nation, the Mexicans, and finally the Golden Mountain Empire of he Chinese. The world is inhabited b ...more
Richard Rogers
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an imagination-wide-open fantasy western, and I loved it. The weird West setting, with a Chinese empire and Mexican republic and Native city-states farther east, is stimulating and has nothing but room for any number of stories. The characters are also varied, giving the Old West a fresh look and feel, and the fantasy action multiplies that. It reads fast--I don't find that to be true of all comics and graphic novels--but the brilliant art is worth lingering over. The only real flaw with ...more
Jenn
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
This graphic novel has an interesting concept, and that intrigued me enough to give it a shot, but I can’t say this one worked for me. The story was all over the place, so I found it somewhat confusing and not particularly engaging or compelling. I think too much happened in the relatively short volume, and it needed to be fleshed out more. The art style was okay but not my favorite. Overall, this volume wasn’t for me, and I wouldn’t read a sequel.
Andy
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the idea of a steampunk, but not steampunk, western outlaw in a time and place that is not quite recognizable. Kingsway meets this requirement and is pretty cool to boot. I dig the idea behind it and will continue to read it. The 4 stars are because I felt there were some gaps in the storytelling. Nothing that really ruined the story, but I had some questions.
Nick
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was really cool. I loved the Asian cowboy, and the war between Mexico, China, the US, and the Native Americans really had me intrigued. I hope they do a lot more with these characters, and even go into the history of this world. The first war sounded cool, and he's already starting the second war.
Dave
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really fun and imaginative weird western tale with some incredible world building. It reads like a mashup of the Deadlands RPG, Tim Powers, and Spaghetti Westerns. Plus the art is pretty incredible and the cast is rich, diverse, and feels very real.
Skye Kilaen
I wanted to like this more than I did. The story just didn't feel like it had much depth, despite the fascinating world and premise.
Robert
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Stronger world-building early on or an introductory essay would have improved the book and made for an easier read.
Victoria George
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm sad this was the only book because the idea for this could create a great series.
Bracton
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting "weird Western" setting, but story is a little thin and preparatory (for this initial volume).
Joshua
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Some interesting world building but the story is quite rushed.
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Beautiful art, confusing and a bit convoluted story.
Amy!
High-five for fantasy Westerns featuring characters of color!

(I do wish Kingsway weren't spending the whole book looking for his missing wife, though)
Ashkin Ayub
the art style was okay but not my favorite. overall, this volume wasn’t for me, and i wouldn’t read a sequel.

story: 2/5
art: 3/5
Audrey
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This has a very interesting setting that isn't seen very often and more importantly not often see with these kinds of characters. It has the potential to grow into something incredible.
John Shaw
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant alternate history comic.
Red Gold
is discovered in California
and instead of the Gold Rush
we had we get three empires
warring to control it.
The Empress of San Francisco
Mexico
The United States of New York.
Brilliantly realized
this series brings to life a
very different Old West than
we remember.
With dragons and sword fights
and spirits, ghosts and monsters.
The Red Gold
changed the world.
For the weird.
Bonnie McDaniel
I think I liked the idea of this more than the execution. The worldbuilding is interesting--a weird alternate history Western with dragons, ghosts, people riding giant jackalopes instead of horses, airships, and a completely different map of the United States. In fact, there is no "U.S.A." as such--just the "United States of New York," Native American "city-states," and a Mexican-ruled "Republica de Los Californios." The MacGuffin of this story is a magical substance called "red gold" that every ...more
Luke

• Harleen
  • Justice League Odyssey, Vol. 1: The Ghost Sector
  • The Oracle Code
  • Teen Titans: Beast Boy
  • Stumptown, Vol. 1: The Case of the Girl Who Took Her Shampoo (But Left her Mini)
  • The Spider King
  • Stumptown, Vol. 2: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case
  • Stumptown, Vol. 3: The Case of the King of Clubs
  • Aphrodite IX: Time Out of Mind
  • Stumptown, Vol. 4: The Case of a Cup of Joe
  • Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel
  • Raven
  • Mystik U
  • Shadow Roads, Vol. 1 (Shadow Roads #1)
  • The Batman Adventures: Mad Love
  • The Old Guard, Book One: Opening Fire
  • Batman: Private Casebook
Greg Pak is an award-winning Korean American comic book writer and filmmaker currently writing "Ronin Island" and "Firefly" for BOOM and “Star Wars: Darth Vader" and "Atlantis Attacks" for Marvel Comics. Pak wrote the "Princess Who Saved Herself" children's book and the “Code Monkey Save World” graphic novel based on the songs of Jonathan Coulton and co-wrote (with Fred Van Lente) the acclaimed “M ...more

Kingsway West (3 books)