Start by marking “The Safest Lies” as Want to Read:

Can fear be inherited?

Kelsey has lived most of her life in a shadow of fear, raised to see danger everywhere. Her mother hasn’t set foot outside their front door in seventeen years, since she escaped from her kidnappers with nothing but her attacker’s baby growing inside her—Kelsey.

Kelsey knows she’s supposed to keep a low profile for their own protection, but that plan is
Published May 24th 2016 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Safest Lies, please sign up.
Lesley Depends on maturity of the 12 year old. I would let my daughter if she wanted

Start your review of The Safest Lies
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I absolutely loved the first third of the book - I got goosebumps multiple times reading it, and I had such high hopes for the rest of the book! Unfortunately, the rest was a let down. The book took a weird turn, and it wasn't quite what I was expected. It felt like it dragged on and on after about halfway through, and it seemed repetitive. The big "reveal" felt just "meh" to me. Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of this one.
♡ Kim ♡
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Picked this one up today on impulse, and I couldn't put it down. Love when that happens!
Trisha
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
"A little lie. A white lie.
The safest lie."

Wow, what a great page turner! I read this all in one sitting with little distractions - which was perfect because it would have been hard to put down.

It's an interesting question this book asks - Fear - can it be inherited in your genes and DNA or is it only completely through environmental factors. If your parents are afraid, do you only pick up their fear through their actions - or do you adopt their fear of smell and/or feeling too?

Kelsey's world i
Tiffy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit what a book! This was an intense mysterious thrill ride. Didn't know what was going to happen next. Didn't want to put it down.
Danielle (Love at First Page)

I don't read many YA suspense/thrillers, but after really liking Soulprint I was excited to try The Safest Lies. I enjoyed it even better than I expected! For one, the romance is a-dor-a-ble, just full of swoons and with no unnecessary drama. Ryan has liked Kelsey for a while now, and it's sweet watching their shy interactions and him finally getting the nerve to tell her how he feels. But this is also a very intense, gripping read, a mixture between Panic Room and Room (if you've seen the movie
Jay G
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

17 years ago, Kelsey's mother escaped her abductors, pregnant and scared. She has not set foot outside the house since, in fear that her captor will return. She has raised Kelsey to notice danger at every turn and to always be prepared. One night, on an act of rebellion, Kelsey sneaks out of the house, only to return to her mother missing. With the help of Ryan, a volunteer firefighter
Petra
Oh, wow. This book was so, so good. It scared the hell out of me, and I just could not stop reading it. Loved everything about it. It's my first book by Megan Miranda, but it'll definitely not be my last.
Siqahiqa
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first read in 2019.

This book was a page turner and I liked it! The first two chapters made me thought that the book is about a typical young adult love story but it was not.

I could not put it down after start reading it yesterday. I was constantly trying to figure out what was actually happen to Kelsey’s mom.

The plot twists were good. This is the first book of Megan Miranda that I’ve read and it’ll definitely not the last book.
Katerina  Kondrenko
7.5 out of 10

First 2/3 were creepy, awesome, engaging. Miranda really knows how to create good suspense! But I'm not very satisfied with the ending and answers I got, still, I would recommend the story 'cause this little disappointment is only mine and others can consider it a nice twist. I'm also and again amazed by the unique plot the author came up with. Fresh ideas in YA are rare like unicorns in my city.
Marissa
Nina Wum
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book to read on a train. You won't even feel the hours passing. The story is compelling, if downright predictable (plot twist? Not really) and the pacing exquisite. The writing could do without numerous repetitions. But then again, it's not supposed to be a literary masterpiece; just a summer page turner. I recommend it strongly to all thriller fans out there, not only young girls. As long as you don't mind the mawkishness of the mandatory teen romance arc - you're in for a fun ...more
McCaid Paul
This was INTENSE! So much tension and suspense throughout, leading to an almost-cinematic end. I’m a big fan of Megan Miranda’s adult novels, but if this book is any indication, then her YA is just as good!
The characters are easy to root for, the writing is evocative and compelling, and the mystery is as complicated as it is thought-provoking.
The novel took a turn after the first act, one I wasn’t expecting but thoroughly enjoyed. Most thrillers become bogged down in their middles due to needl
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
This was a 3.5 star read for me. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Excited to write my review.

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I borrowed this from my library with the expectation of a chilling mystery type story. Sadly, I don’t feel this book truly delivered on those expectations.

Short recap: Kelsey Thomas has not had a normal upbringing. Her mother has not left the house in 17 years because she was kidnapped and held captive for a year. She is al
Kari
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really didn’t like this. I will blame myself, though, because I didn’t realize this was a YA thriller until I started reading. Right away I was like “oh...this is going to be cheesy.” The mystery was not interesting. It had the potential to be, but it just wasn’t. Some parts dragged on SOOO long, I found myself scanning the pages just to get through it.
Sometimes I love cheesy things, truly. But this just didn’t do it for me 😂
The romance was so unnecessary, but I know that’s typical for a YA t
Laura Rash
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So fast paced, energetic & intense! I literally was squirming in my seat & couldn't turn the pages fast enough! Being classified as a YA took nothing away from this fascinating story! ...more
Leah
Compulsively readable and blindingly fast, I tore through The Safest Lies in an afternoon. While I could easily guess at some of the major twists, I was able to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the ride. I could totally see this one working as a movie or a beach read - it's definitely action-packed and intriguing!

For the full review and more, head over to The Pretty Good Gatsby!
Jaclyn
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was highly suspenseful; however, it was definitely missing something. There were many twists to the central mystery but they didn't really seem to be used to full effect. I was compelled to finish the book because I just had to what was up with Kelsey's mom, but that was it. Kelsey's relationships with other characters were also underdeveloped.

Great concept that would have benefited from some deeper exploration of its characters.
Allison
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Exhilarating thriller with some serious summer read appeal! Reminiscent of Panic Room, plus major appeal for fans of Emma Donoghue's Room.

Wild twist that I didn't see coming and a really adorable romance to top it all off!

TEEN THRILLERS AND MYSTERIES CONTINUE TO BE BETTER THAN THEIR ADULT COUNTERPARTS!!!
Jen Ryland
I've enjoyed Megan Miranda's books before, especially Soulprint, so was excited to read this. I really like the way Miranda weaves scientific and psychological theory into her stories.

The book's main character, Kelsey, has always grown up with fear - her mom was abducted as a teenager and then was found, four months pregnant. Now she and Kelsey live in a fortified house with a panic room. Kelsey's mom is afraid to leave the house, and she manages this, until Kelsey is involved in an accident tha
Ashley Gallegos
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So so so good! Pulled an all-nighter and finished in one sitting! Really loved this one! Pretty predictable but great read all the same!
Mia Jo Celeste
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Safest Lies
Although Kelsey goes to high school and has a part-time job, she knows her life is the farthest thing from normal. She lives in a gated fortress that her mom hasn’t left since Kelsey’s birth. Apparently, Kelsey’s mom is afraid the bad people who kidnapped her so many years ago are still searching for her, so she trains Kelsey in survival techniques including bomb-making. Kelsey’s mom has only one friend, her therapist, who studies Kelsey and her mom to gain data on whether fear ca
sophie
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I bought this book last year to read on holiday but never ended up taking it and have been putting off reading it ever since. I started reading this this afternoon and couldn’t put it down. I’m so glad I gave it a chance, really quick thriller/mystery read probably not the best out there, but definitely got me off my reading break. 4/5
Carina Olsen
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-i-want
Gosh, I loved this book. I mean, I knew I would, because I adore Megan Miranda. And I have loved all the books I have read by her, which is all of them but one, lol. Must read that one soon too. I just. Megan writes such amazing stories. And she makes up such amazing characters. I couldn't not love this precious book.

I have been wanting to read this book for ages now, but had to wait until my hardcover arrived. Hmph. And then I could not read it fast enough. When I started it today, I had planne
Michelle
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was so so. I wouldn’t say it was the worst I’ve read but it definitely wasn’t this author’s best work. A bit predictable, a bit slow, and overall just kind of ho-hum. Nothing great to say; nothing real negative to say.
Ilikereading
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this literally made me realize how useless and stupid i would be if i was trapped in a house w no service and murderers trying to break in. im genuinely traumatized and it was like i was watching that movie hush all over again. I'm literally gonna go build my own underground panic room now.
Leeanna
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

THE SAFEST LIES asks an interesting question. Can fear be inherited?

Kelsey grew up in a house of locks and fences, with a mother who hasn’t set foot outside in 17 years. Her mother was kidnapped as a teen but escaped… with Kelsey in her belly. Terrified they would be taken again, her mom has kept Kelsey on a short leash. Kelsey lives under rules and routines most teens wouldn’t tolerate for 5 seconds, but it’s a life that’s kept her safe.
Elyssa (Elyssa's Editions)
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book was recently an Audible deal of the day that I decided to help myself to during a lull where most of my requests for audio books were on hold. I have read and enjoyed Megan Miranda books in the past and was hoping this would be a great one for me too. This is a story of Kelsey who has grown up with fear and survival instincts on account of being raised by her mother who was once held captive prior to escaping. Kelsey was homeschooled most of her life without leaving their beautiful for ...more
Shelby Brynn
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now this is what I'm taking about! This book had me on the edge of my seat and I finished it in 24 hours.

I have to give Megan Miranda credit, she knows how to draw you in and make your heart race. Even after the book was finished I was extremely jumpy and my heart wouldn't stop racing. If that's not the sign of a great thriller, I don't know what is.

One of the best things about this book was it wasn't just a suspense novel, it actually asked real psychological questions that made me think. Fir
Kate
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't hate this and I didn't love it. My first intro to Megan Miranda was with All The Missing Girls and I loved that one and thought it was a great read. I felt like The Safest Lies scratched the surface of being a great thriller but lacked details that some of my other favorites contain.

There is no doubt that Megan Miranda wrote an awesome, page turning, story here. I really could not put this down and felt like I needed to know what happened next. However, I just felt like it wasn't to he
Barbara
Although the cover and the premise for this book were quite promising, it didn't deliver on all its promises for me. I enjoyed the first two thirds of the book, but the last portion was just too over the top for me to believe. Seventeen-year-old Kelsey Thomas has always known to keep a low profile and never let anyone get too close to her. After all, her own mother is so severely agoraphobic as the result of being kidnapped and abused as a teen that she hasn't left the house in 17 years. After K ...more

• The End of Her
  • An Unwanted Guest
  • The Third Wife
  • Have You Seen Me?
  • The Family Upstairs
Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS, THE PERFECT STRANGER, and THE LAST HOUSE GUEST, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick. She has also written several books for young adults, including COME FIND ME, FRAGMENTS OF THE LOST, and THE SAFEST LIES. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children.

Her