Start by marking “The Safest Lies” as Want to Read:

Can fear be inherited?

Kelsey has lived most of her life in a shadow of fear, raised to see danger everywhere. Her mother hasn’t set foot outside their front door in seventeen years, since she escaped from her kidnappers with nothing but her attacker’s baby growing inside her—Kelsey.

Kelsey knows she’s supposed to keep a low profile for their own protection, but that plan is
Published May 24th 2016 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Safest Lies, please sign up.
Lesley Depends on maturity of the 12 year old. I would let my daughter if she wanted

Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
I absolutely loved the first third of the book - I got goosebumps multiple times reading it, and I had such high hopes for the rest of the book! Unfortunately, the rest was a let down. The book took a weird turn, and it wasn't quite what I was expected. It felt like it dragged on and on after about halfway through, and it seemed repetitive. The big "reveal" felt just "meh" to me. Overall, I wasn't a huge fan of this one.
♡ Kim ♡
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Picked this one up today on impulse, and I couldn't put it down. Love when that happens!
Trisha
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
"A little lie. A white lie.
The safest lie."

Wow, what a great page turner! I read this all in one sitting with little distractions - which was perfect because it would have been hard to put down.

It's an interesting question this book asks - Fear - can it be inherited in your genes and DNA or is it only completely through environmental factors. If your parents are afraid, do you only pick up their fear through their actions - or do you adopt their fear of smell and/or feeling too?

Kelsey's world i
Tiffy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit what a book! This was an intense mysterious thrill ride. Didn't know what was going to happen next. Didn't want to put it down.
Danielle (Love at First Page)

I don't read many YA suspense/thrillers, but after really liking Soulprint I was excited to try The Safest Lies. I enjoyed it even better than I expected! For one, the romance is a-dor-a-ble, just full of swoons and with no unnecessary drama. Ryan has liked Kelsey for a while now, and it's sweet watching their shy interactions and him finally getting the nerve to tell her how he feels. But this is also a very intense, gripping read, a mixture between Panic Room and Room (if you've seen the movie
Petra
Oh, wow. This book was so, so good. It scared the hell out of me, and I just could not stop reading it. Loved everything about it. It's my first book by Megan Miranda, but it'll definitely not be my last.
Marissa
Siqahiqa
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first read in 2019.

This book was a page turner and I liked it! The first two chapters made me thought that the book is about a typical young adult love story but it was not.

I could not put it down after start reading it yesterday. I was constantly trying to figure out what was actually happen to Kelsey’s mom.

The plot twists were good. This is the first book of Megan Miranda that I’ve read and it’ll definitely not the last book.
Nina Wum
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book to read on a train. You won't even feel the hours passing. The story is compelling, if downright predictable (plot twist? Not really) and the pacing exquisite. The writing could do without numerous repetitions. But then again, it's not supposed to be a literary masterpiece; just a summer page turner. I recommend it strongly to all thriller fans out there, not only young girls. As long as you don't mind the mawkishness of the mandatory teen romance arc - you're in for a fun ...more
Bridget
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 0-tbr-january19
2.5 RTC
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
This was a 3.5 star read for me. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Excited to write my review.

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

I borrowed this from my library with the expectation of a chilling mystery type story. Sadly, I don’t feel this book truly delivered on those expectations.

Short recap: Kelsey Thomas has not had a normal upbringing. Her mother has not left the house in 17 years because she was kidnapped and held captive for a year. She is al
Kari
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really didn’t like this. I will blame myself, though, because I didn’t realize this was a YA thriller until I started reading. Right away I was like “oh...this is going to be cheesy.” The mystery was not interesting. It had the potential to be, but it just wasn’t. Some parts dragged on SOOO long, I found myself scanning the pages just to get through it.
Sometimes I love cheesy things, truly. But this just didn’t do it for me 😂
The romance was so unnecessary, but I know that’s typical for a YA t
Laura Rash
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So fast paced, energetic & intense! I literally was squirming in my seat & couldn't turn the pages fast enough! Being classified as a YA took nothing away from this fascinating story!
Saleh MoonWalker
اگرچه کاور جذابی داره، ولی اونطور که انتظار داشتم، نبود. دو سوم اول کتاب جالب بود ولی بخش آخرش اصلا خوب از آب درنیومده بود. کِلسِی توماس 17 ساله هیچ وقت اجازه نمیداد کسی بهش نزدیک بشه. مادرش به خاطر اینکه در کودکی گروگان گرفته شده بود و مورد سو استفاده قرار گرفته بود، طی 17 سال گذشته خونه رو ترک نکرده بود. بعد از اینکه کلسی تصادف کرد و نزدیک بود بمیره، خانواده ش زیر نظر اخبار قرار میگیرن و کلسی حقیقت خانواده ش رو میفهمه.
اتفاقات از اینجا به بعد خیلی سریع و کمی غیر منطقی رخ میدن و عجیبن. البته اثر
Jen Ryland
I've enjoyed Megan Miranda's books before, especially Soulprint, so was excited to read this. I really like the way Miranda weaves scientific and psychological theory into her stories.

The book's main character, Kelsey, has always grown up with fear - her mom was abducted as a teenager and then was found, four months pregnant. Now she and Kelsey live in a fortified house with a panic room. Kelsey's mom is afraid to leave the house, and she manages this, until Kelsey is involved in an accident tha
Jaclyn
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was highly suspenseful; however, it was definitely missing something. There were many twists to the central mystery but they didn't really seem to be used to full effect. I was compelled to finish the book because I just had to what was up with Kelsey's mom, but that was it. Kelsey's relationships with other characters were also underdeveloped.

Great concept that would have benefited from some deeper exploration of its characters.
Leah
Compulsively readable and blindingly fast, I tore through The Safest Lies in an afternoon. While I could easily guess at some of the major twists, I was able to suspend my disbelief and enjoy the ride. I could totally see this one working as a movie or a beach read - it's definitely action-packed and intriguing!

For the full review and more, head over to The Pretty Good Gatsby!
Mia Jo Celeste
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Safest Lies
Although Kelsey goes to high school and has a part-time job, she knows her life is the farthest thing from normal. She lives in a gated fortress that her mom hasn’t left since Kelsey’s birth. Apparently, Kelsey’s mom is afraid the bad people who kidnapped her so many years ago are still searching for her, so she trains Kelsey in survival techniques including bomb-making. Kelsey’s mom has only one friend, her therapist, who studies Kelsey and her mom to gain data on whether fear ca
Michelle
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was so so. I wouldn’t say it was the worst I’ve read but it definitely wasn’t this author’s best work. A bit predictable, a bit slow, and overall just kind of ho-hum. Nothing great to say; nothing real negative to say.
Leeanna
May 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
This review originally appeared on my blog, Leeanna.me.

==

THE SAFEST LIES asks an interesting question. Can fear be inherited?

Kelsey grew up in a house of locks and fences, with a mother who hasn’t set foot outside in 17 years. Her mother was kidnapped as a teen but escaped… with Kelsey in her belly. Terrified they would be taken again, her mom has kept Kelsey on a short leash. Kelsey lives under rules and routines most teens wouldn’t tolerate for 5 seconds, but it’s a life that’s kept her safe.
Elyssa (Elyssa's Editions)
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book was recently an Audible deal of the day that I decided to help myself to during a lull where most of my requests for audio books were on hold. I have read and enjoyed Megan Miranda books in the past and was hoping this would be a great one for me too. This is a story of Kelsey who has grown up with fear and survival instincts on account of being raised by her mother who was once held captive prior to escaping. Kelsey was homeschooled most of her life without leaving their beautiful for ...more
Kate
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't hate this and I didn't love it. My first intro to Megan Miranda was with All The Missing Girls and I loved that one and thought it was a great read. I felt like The Safest Lies scratched the surface of being a great thriller but lacked details that some of my other favorites contain.

There is no doubt that Megan Miranda wrote an awesome, page turning, story here. I really could not put this down and felt like I needed to know what happened next. However, I just felt like it wasn't to he
Barbara
Although the cover and the premise for this book were quite promising, it didn't deliver on all its promises for me. I enjoyed the first two thirds of the book, but the last portion was just too over the top for me to believe. Seventeen-year-old Kelsey Thomas has always known to keep a low profile and never let anyone get too close to her. After all, her own mother is so severely agoraphobic as the result of being kidnapped and abused as a teen that she hasn't left the house in 17 years. After K ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
GRADE: B-
3.5 STARS

Due to agoraphobia, Kelsey's mother Mandy, hasn't left her house in seventeen years. Now she's missing and Kelsey fears the worst. With the help of her crush, Ryan, and two friends, all of whom end up trapped in the house, she tries to find a way out.

Although completely unrealistic, THE SAFEST LIES held my interest with a fast pace and interesting story. Did Kelsey inherit some of her mother's phobias? Nature or nurture? Those red herring questions weren't pertinent to the plo
Booknerds by Kerstin
Auch wenn es für mich eher untypisch ist, dass ich zu einem Thriller greife, konnte ich bei „Gefährliche Wahrheiten“ nicht widerstehen, da der Klappentext absolut spannend klang und ich mal wieder Lust auf eine richtig schöne rasante Geschichte hatte. Nach kürzester Zeit merkte ich auch schon, dass ich genau das bekomme, was ich haben wollte.
Wir erleben die Geschichte der 17jährigen Kelsey Thomas, die seit etwa einem Jahr wieder am „öffentlichen Leben“ teilnimmt. Davor lebte sie mit ihrer Mutter
Sharon
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe closer to 3 1/2 stars (for the first half) The first half of this book was so good, but as it got closer to the end it just lost its steam.

Kelsey and her mother lived in a house that was pretty much a fortress. Alarm system, bullet proof windows, gates on the windows and gates at the front and back of the house. You see Kelsey's mother was kidnapped when she was 17, she was held for a year before she escaped, and was pregnant with Kelsey. They kept a low profile, and Kelsey's mother was a
Shelby Brynn
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now this is what I'm taking about! This book had me on the edge of my seat and I finished it in 24 hours.

I have to give Megan Miranda credit, she knows how to draw you in and make your heart race. Even after the book was finished I was extremely jumpy and my heart wouldn't stop racing. If that's not the sign of a great thriller, I don't know what is.

One of the best things about this book was it wasn't just a suspense novel, it actually asked real psychological questions that made me think. Fir
Sara Hassoun
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Do people create fear or they born with it? Kelsey doesn't live a normal life, her mom was kid napped when she was a teen and went through a traumatic experience, or so she says. Suspension is one of the biggest factors of the book. The author doesn't tell why it isn't that Kelsey and her mom live in a fort that has an alarm system, finger print lock on the front door and a basement that is full of hazardous chemicals until half way through the book. The author describes all the scenes in the bo ...more
Jasmine
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is very interesting and plot driven. I loved that it was not predictive and I was constantly trying to figure out what was going on with her Mom. I felt like Kelsey was pretty naive when it came to boys and relationships especially with Ryan. So later when it comes out that she dated someone prior I was a little shocked. I would have liked to have seen that explained a little more even. She was a little naive with everything that came to her mother but it makes sense once you learn mor ...more
Mariah
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy shoot. Megan Miranda did it again! While I did like her adult books a little better than this young adult one, it was still a 5 star read for me! She does an incredible job at keeping you hooked right from the beginning, so that you never want to put it down.

My only complaint was that I'm not 100% satisfied with the ending. I do feel like I could use some more closure (view spoiler)

• Vanquished
  • A Million Times Goodnight
  • See Jane Run
  • On Solid Ground (In Too Deep, #2)
  • Clinging to Rapture (Rapture, #2)
  • Take The Fall
  • Girl Last Seen
  • The Caledonian Inheritance (The Athena Effect #3)
  • Run, Hide, Fight Back
  • The Stranger Game
  • Defender
  • Betti on the High Wire
  • Damage Done
  • The Carnival Ghost (Sweet Valley Twins Super Chiller, #3)
  • Dare You to Lie
  • Lizzie
  • The Chaos of Now
  • When They Fade
Megan Miranda is the New York Times bestselling author of ALL THE MISSING GIRLS and THE PERFECT STRANGER. She has also written several books for young adults, including FRACTURE, THE SAFEST LIES, and FRAGMENTS OF THE LOST. She grew up in New Jersey, graduated from MIT, and lives in North Carolina with her husband and two children.

COME FIND ME is her newest young adult book (January, 2019). Her ne
“The danger is everywhere. It’s everyone. It’s the parts we keep hidden, and the darkness inside, fighting to get out. The only thing I did was take people down with me. They tied themselves to my anchor, and we fell.” 1 likes
“of all the things I'd either inherited or learned from my mother, the art of the lie was the most useful.” 0 likes