Start by marking “Hush, Little Baby: A Folk Song with Pictures” as Want to Read:
Hush, Little Baby: A Folk Song with Pictures

Hush, Little Baby: A Folk Song with Pictures

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  317 ratings  ·  62 reviews
A baby who howls all night, parents at their wits' end, and a big sister who accidentally on purpose started it all. With warmth and wry humor, Marla Frazee's refreshingly unsentimental interpretation of a timeless folk lullaby will bring a smile to the face of even the most exhausted family member.
Published August 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hush, Little Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush, Little Baby

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Hush, Little Baby: A Folk Song with Pictures
Cheryl
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I sang this song over and over to my babies, and, like Frazee, always wondered what kind of a story would be the best fit for it. She created a pretty good one. But what I really love is her style of art, especially as it brings alive the expressions on the father's and sister's faces as they deal with the events of the night.

That being said, some will love this, some will think it a waste of time. I won't recommend you do anything but consider trying it yourself, iff you're interested.
Kathryn
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I could give anything illustrated by Marla Frazee less than four stars; I love her style! That said, I didn't like this one quite as well as some of her others (All the World & The Seven Silly Eaters, for example) probably because "Hush, Little Baby" has never been one of my favorite rhymes. That said, I really appreciated Frazee's creativity in tying the story back to its Appalachian roots (though I wanted some sort of Illustrator's Note telling more about this) and adding more del ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The text is classic to the song. The pictures are classic to Marla Frazee.
Bea
Lovely, detailed artwork that literally gives new meaning to the verses.
Judy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The art by Frazee is always worth studying; it not only illustrates the text, but tells its own story. Here she uses a grumpy-looking peddler as the source of all the gifts that "Papa's gonna buy." That's a nice touch.

I wish there had been a note from Frazee giving a little background about the song, and explaining why she decided to use a peddler in Appalachia for her setting.
Carolynne
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Abigail, Kathryn, Malinda
This is a folk song I can remember from my own childhood (I remember being very sad when that looking-glass broke!), but Marla Frazee has given it a new, fresh, delightfully humorous twist. Frazee has set the picture book in 19th century rural West Virginia, honoring the song's Appalachian roots. But unlike the sweet, passive infant of some versions, Frazee's little baby is agressively inconsolable and the subject of a little sibling rivalry. But big sister pluckily helps her patient father make ...more
Brittany
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Hush, Little Baby: A Folk Song with Pictures" by Marla Frazee is a well illustrated children's book that goes along with a familiar and classic song. The interesting part of the illustrations is that they offer a visual description of things in the song that many children today would be unsure or unfamiliar with. These illustrations also offer a humorous quality to the book and provide children with a lot of detail, something that makes it visually more appealing to children. There are also ver ...more
Madison Hurlbut
This is a remix on the lullaby. It is about the mischievous behaviors of an older sister who awoke the baby and now won't stop howling and crying. The girl then convinces her father to buy the mocking bird that won't sing and so on. The book is set back in history more. There is a candlelit log cabin that displayed that. The images in the book tell a lot of the story. It is a very cute book that I would read more around a nap time in a preschool.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid
This is the best book of this song I've ever read. Brilliant! The story starts in the endpapers, don't rush past them or you will miss why the baby is crying.

This exhausted but loving family is at its wit's end trying to soothe the crying baby. Good thing the tinker is in town as they buy item after item in order to pacify the child, even taking the baby on a long ride in the tinker's cart (we've all been there).

Gorgeously illustrated. A true masterpiece.
Chancela
I think this is a good way to introduce folk songs/lullabies to students. I honestly think this book is a little bit strange, but the illustrations are very good, like usual with Marla Frazee's work. She always shows a great mixture of colors to go along with the story, and somehow always manages to bring emotion with every page turn.
Maria Hatzialexiou
I liked this book because it really brought the song to life. Marla Frazze does a fantastic job at doing just that with her illustrations. I would not read this book to a group of children in a classroom but maybe a child at home. This is a short and simple story that allows the readers to see exactly what the words mean in the folk song, “Hush, Little Baby”
Jennifer Wise
This is another one of my favorite childhood books. This Folk story is different from the original version due to the fact that the older sister is more apparent in this story. The illustrations in the book are so beautifully drawn, and the story is so simple for a beginning reader in a younger grade level.
Samantha Chafin
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic lullaby that many people know today. I think that it really shows how parents will give anything to their children to let them know they're loved. Even while they are pulling their last straw. This is an excellent book you babies because they are becoming familiar with words that are rhyming and east to learn. This is a great story with wonderful illustrations.
Anne
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute take on the nonsensical lullaby. In the author's note on the back it was learned that it has Appalachian roots. I was unaware of the other verses. It was very enjoyable and would make a great bedtime book. The illustrations are very detailed.
Gabriella Bruno
I really loved this book. My mom use to sing this song to me when I was little. It was fun to have pictures to go along with the song. I highly recommend this for children. This would be great to sing to a child before bed or a nap.
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The illustrations really steal the show here, too bad the song goes too fast to really enjoy them as a read aloud. This one would make a nice one-on-one read but make sure you take time to enjoy the pictures!
Brett
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-songs
I love Marla Frazee's artwork so much, it even makes me enjoy the world's most repetitive lullaby outside of "Ninety-Nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall."
Megan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the back story in the illustrations. This book is singable!
Maria
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for these illustrations of sibling rivalry, jealousy, and love.
Peter
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Beautifully illustrated classic.
Fluttershy
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I like the song but wasn't crazy about the illustrations.
Asher
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Asher loved this!
Erin Dunlavy
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
The song is familiar and good but the pictures are really wonderful.

PWRL
Oct 13, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zz-2020-oct-new
A
Annabel
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book was a REALLY cute take on this old folk song. I loved how it illustrated a determined but exhausted family trying to soother their crying baby with the searching for the perfect object being primarily headed by the sister. The pictures hilariously captured a story that isn't necessarily seen as humorous but definitely leaves the door open for humor. The illustrations were concise, clean and powerful. The coloring in this book is really rich and the cartoon-like drawing adds to the humor ...more
Luisa Knight
I liked the slight comical twist that this book had for the song - while the baby might not want everything, the older sister sure is appreciating it all.

Ages: 2 - 4

Cleanliness: there are two pictures where a baby is naked and you see it's behind.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you
Julianna
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: january
When I picked up this book I was expecting a cute lullaby from a mother to her baby, but what i got was very different. This book had nice drawings and a cute little song, but I was a little unsure about the lesson of this book. Too me the baby doesn't seen like the cutest baby in the world, more like the most spoiled. I didn't like it all that much, and the story wasn't all that creative either.
Crystal
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january
This book was great! It wasn't quite the same version as I remember, but it was close. The part that I don't remember was the sister being so involved, but that is the part that I loved the most. I loved that the whole family was so involved in getting the baby to calm down. I also loved the illustrations. They were so well done.
Tatelyn Graves
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 13-music
When reading these books in class it was by far my favorite! It was so cool being able to see my childhood songs being put into books and have pictures behind them. This one was my favorite childhood song so when i saw it i loved it instantly. It shows the love between a father and a daughter but also in this book it shows that family does anything for each other especially in hard times.
Ellen
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-preschool
The pictures in this book (full size edition, not board book) are rich with detail and foreshadowing that can be easily missed if the reader focuses on the words; "read" slowly. The words are more like a soundtrack in the background. It's a captivating twist on the folk song which should resonate with older siblings and their parents.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Little Blue Truck
  • Giraffes Can't Dance
  • Happy Halloween, Little Critter! (The New Adventures of Mercer Mayer's Little Critter)
  • Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything
  • Down Under the Pier
  • Baby Beluga
  • We're Going on a Bear Hunt
  • The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Jonah and the Great Fish (A Margaret K. McElderry Book)

News & Interviews