Start by marking “Potholes and Magic Carpets” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Potholes and Magic Carpets
The main action in this character-led contemporary novel mostly takes place in rural Kent and London. Potholes and Magic Carpets looks at the dramatic incidents, challenges and temptations in the past and present lives of four couples of varying ages, professions and sexual persuasions, all linked by either blood or friendship. The negative, self
Published July 22nd 2015 by Joy Mutter

To ask other readers questions about Potholes and Magic Carpets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Potholes and Magic Carpets

Start your review of Potholes and Magic Carpets
Helen
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a great look into the minds of abusive people and their long-suffering partners, and people who are the complete opposite, caring and loving. The author has created a cleverly interwoven story of four different families who we meet separately at first, then gradually come together as the story progresses.
Just three chapters in, I already hated Nick, the first abusive protagonist, and longed to punch him! The characters have depth to them, evoking feelings of hate, pity, or love, and there a
Rock
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

First off, I listened the audiobook version of this book. I really enjoyed the narration by Tracey Norman. She does and excellent job and her voice seemed perfect for this book.

As to the story itself, I found it compelling and it was hard to stop listening. There are quite a few characters to keep track of. Their lives start in different areas and are interwoven dramatically throughout the book.

I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this re
Luisa
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i won a copy of this book in the goodreads giveaway

i loved this book, i could not put it down, it has a great mix of characters, each linked to each other in someway, its a story mostly about how your past effects your life, and how insecurities, can effect your relationships and life in general,
i sometimes fine that when books have too many characters i dont always care about them, this didnt happen with the book, i really wanted to know more about everyone of them,
Sarah Northwood
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how the author weaved the interconnected lives of the different characters and their own individual stories into one coherent thread. With wonderful descriptions the author brings to life the Kent home of these characters and is not afraid to tackle deep issues in this story. With a wonderful mixture of warm and relatable characters to those who have you wanting to scream, it was a very enjoyable read.
P.S. Winn
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, set in England is a quirky look into the lives of four couples as they face challenges. I found this author has a great writing style and great characters. The story adds some humor with a bit of darkness and treachery as the couples deal with what life hands them.
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I was given this book free in exchange for a fair review.

Joy Mutter is a new-to-me author. Like with any new author it takes you a chapter or two to get used to the particular style of a new author. The writing is easy to follow and uncomplicated. The book itself is a fairly quick read.

The book follows the lives that intertwine with others and the events within those peoples lives. One persons actions lead to a particular consequence which impacts (or doesn't) on another. it's an interesting set
Andrea Miles
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First thing forget the blurb, the stories take place over years not just 2015. The book tells the stories of couples linked to a small Kent village. In most cases there is one overbearing, if not downright abusive, partner who gets their comeuppance.

It is written in such a way it is hard to put down because you WILL want to know what will happen next and you end up caring about the characters and will want them to be happy.

I got this book as part of the Goodreads giveaway and I'm glad I did as I
Tam May
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written contemporary British novel that follows the romantic entanglements of several people in a small Kent village. There are some great descriptions that really give a great feel for small English countryside villages (to American readers like me, at least!) I liked how the chapters followed different characters sort of like an ongoing TV drama series. The characters were nicely drawn, although some of them were a bit on the two-dimensional side. These could have been made a bi ...more
Nicole Hodson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times the dialogue seemed a little unrealistic and forced but a gripping plot meant that it didn't really matter.
Each chapter followed different characters in an easy to read but entertaining style of writing, with a clear link between all characters mentioned even if it isn't so clear at first.
Would definitely recommend!
Brenda
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author has become one of my favorites. One of the things I like most about her work, is the artful way in which she weaves her character's faults in with their virtues. It leaves you wondering what the character will do next, and I've never been disappointed.

If you like complex characters and strong story, you'll like this book.
John Thys
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this a very enjoyable book the story follows the lives of several people that all interlink throughout the book it flits from group to group telling their stories keeps you interested till the end not as crazy as some joy mutter books but still a good read
Greg Davies
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well an intriguing title, and a different sort of tale. A good quick read once you have got into the story.
Kate Berry
This book is a collection of short stories, but they all link together through different characters. Each story contains characters that have previously been mentioned or featured briefly in the story before. It was a really interesting read that I managed to read with in a short amount of time. I suggest this to people who want a quick read, perhaps on holiday or for a train ride.
Diane Drinkwater
Pat
Claire
Emma
Jun 06, 2016
Author of Random Bullets, 4 books in The Hostile series, Her demonic Angel, Living with Postcards, Potholes and Magic Carpets, The Mug Trilogy, and The Trouble With Liam.

Joy Mutter started writing books in 2007 but waited until 2015 to publish six of them on Amazon. Three more books followed in 2016. All thirteen books are available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle editions. Nine books also have