Start by marking “A Place Called Sorry” as Want to Read:
A Place Called Sorry

A Place Called Sorry

Growing up in the 1930s, Adeline Beale knows little of the outside world or the looming shadows of a second world war. Addie-as her grandfather Chauncey Beynon Beale affectionately calls her- believes that everything she could ever want or need is to be found on his cattle ranch, the place her family calls home, or in the little town twelve bush miles away, a place called ...more
Published September 15th 2015 by Caitlin Press

To ask other readers questions about A Place Called Sorry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place Called Sorry

Aaron Drake
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a must read for anyone who enjoys Canadian history.

It’s a brilliant story that tells about the little known Chilcotin War in the late nineteenth century.

A Place Called Sorry takes place on a Cariboo ranch during the depression era, when Addie discovers a journal written by her grandfather, detailing the decades-old events leading up to the massacre of 14 road workers, and an implicit declaration of war against the Crown by the local nations.

All by itself, the story is well worth readin
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
Was transfixed by this story and hung on every word. Sad to see it's done and left with a serious book hangover.
Luanne Ollivier
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Donna Milner's debut novel, After River, back in 2008. In re-reading my review, I see that I described Milner's writing as "quite simply, beautiful."

Her newest book, A Place Called Sorry, has just released - and Milner's writing has only gotten better.

1930's British Columbia. Young Addie Beale makes her home on a cattle ranch in the bush in British Columbia. Sorry is " a scanty little settlement located twelve hard bush miles from our ranch....the place where a number of side roads, not m
Joanne
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Donna Milner's books just keep getting better. It's hard to find enough praise for her perfect combination of history and fiction in the wild ranch lands of BC's Chilcotin Plateau.

The main character, Addie Beale, grows up on a ranch with her father and grandfather, her mother having abandoned the family years ago. Addie becomes deeply attached to a young Indian boy in her class at school. Their lives are made miserable by a despicable school teacher, who hates them both for different reasons. We
Ellen
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great novel - interesting, heartwarming and, also, heartbreaking. The story is well structured, the writing wonderful and the relationships, for the most part, quite convincing. I only have a few small gripes that keep me from giving this book the coveted 5 stars. First, the author's use of foreshadowing. In my opinion - a little overdone. Second, Addie's father is just a bit too perfect. (Although I do feel bad saying this, as he was such a great Dad). And finally, while I am aware th ...more
Julia
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting book that I enjoyed especially because it focuses on BC history. There are two storylines - one that takes place in 1864/65 and one in the 1930s and 40s. I liked it a lot except (view spoiler) Also it's a bit like a soap opera, especially how they (view spoiler). Overall, recommended if you like Canadian history and especially BC history.

This book wins the "Drabbest Cover But Actually Goo
Sheila
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read!
Cathryn Wellner
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I've been hooked on Donna Milner's writing since she released her first novel. Having lived near the area she writes about, I was especially caught up in A Place Called Sorry. Milner pulls together strands that weave a picture of British Columbia's Chilcotin region. A family's struggles are framed by two shattering events, the Chilcotin War of 1864 and the larger conflict of World War II.

As Chauncey Beale sinks into the fog of dementia and failing eyesight, he has his granddaughter Adelaide (Add
Sheila
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another winner by this author! Adeline Beale is a young girl in the 1930's living on a ranch in the central B.C., with her grandfather and her parents. She is particularly close to her grandfather and father. After a tragedy strikes the family, she is devastated. She finds a friend in a young native boy, Alan. Their teacher constantly makes rude comments to him but Adeline finds she shares comfort in their friendship. As her grandfather's eyesight and mental status deteriorate, he asks Adeline t ...more
Marian Gils-McLeod
Nov 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a wonderfully tender book about life on a ranch during the 1930's. Addie, a young girl, at the beginning of the story undergoes immense hardship and grief and through this grows up to be a gentle, determined spirit. Throughout her living she never loses faith in others.Such a beautifully told story of triumph through adversity. I loved this book and my thanks goes out to Goodreads Giveaways for this terrific book.
Anna Noga
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Although I thought "After River" was written very well, I disliked it because I disliked the main character so much. She irritatingly wasted her life with regret. "A Place Called Sorry" was written equally as well but the main character--and almost all the characters were the exact opposite. Although there were regrets, everyone was strong and able to move past them. It was a great book. I had to take a break in the middle as I found that section a tough read.
Trudy Jaskela
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Novel set in 1930 in a crossroads called Sorry in Chilcotin.
Characters well developed and all very likeable except the racist school teacher. Is a story of family closeness, racism, and our First Nations people.
Author blended fact and fiction well. The Canadian government apologized in 2014 to the Tsilgot'in peoples.
Tkjtwmr
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great read. I could hardly put it down to do anything else. Good thing I was out camping and there was not much else to do but read and enjoy myself!!

Loved the writing style, the cliff-hanging ending and it was historical fiction. I am looking forward to reading others of hers soon!!
Dawn
Sharon
Dec 07, 2016
Victoria
May 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sadly I gave this novel only two stars. Her other novels were better received by me.
Nancy
Aug 08, 2017
Lana Makortoff
Dec 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Donna Jonas Milner, who has been referred to as the, 'Oh, so Canadian author,' was born in Victoria British Columbia and grew up in South Vancouver. As a young woman she relocated to a small town in the West Kootenays where she married and started a family. In 1972 she settled in the central interior of British Columbia and has resided there since. It wasn't until after she had raised four childre ...more