Start by marking “The Gates (Hell on Earth, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gates (Hell on Earth, #1)

(Hell on Earth #1)

An apocalyptic horror novel

The Gates is the 1st book in the epic Hell on Earth series, a terrifying thrill ride of epic proportions. You cannot escape death when death is everywhere.

FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS A TERRIBLE ENEMY HAS BEEN WAITING...
NOW THE GATES ARE OPEN...
AND HUMANITY'S EXTINCTION IS ABOUT TO BEGIN...

All across the globe strange gates have appeared at random. Any
Published August 27th 2015 by SalGad Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about The Gates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gates

Lisa Sandberg
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a refreshing side to the apocalypse. No zombies, but something more horrifying. Demons rising up from the gates of hell.

This book follows many main characters from all parts of the world, which was also something most apocalyptic books do not do. I liked this about the story.

I enjoyed many of the main characters, even though some do not survive, but, it is an apocalypse. How many people survive that?

This was my first time reading a book by Iain Rob Wright, even though I have many of h
The Behrg
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Gates is a step away from Iain Rob Wright's normal horror novels. Typically you'll find he focuses on a small group of characters within a confined setting, tackling a terrifying situation. But with The Gates, Wright is no longer shooting for grounders and doubles, he's winding up and going for the home-run.

This is the apocalypse on a grand scale, and it's a solid start for his new series. Rather than following one family through the quite literal transition of hell on earth, Wright tells t
Erin
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest: I wasn't expecting this one to be any good. Maybe because it was so cheap, maybe because the whole "invasion of Hell" schtick is so susceptible to cheap narrative cliches, but even so, I still decided to give it a shot, because damn it, the premise was just too intriguing not to at least check it out.

And... oh dear. I suppose I was right to keep my expectations low. Let's start by letting the text speak for itself on just how bad it is:

Quotes!

The Boring

The first immediately not
Nev Murray
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"So to question number one. Is it utter crap? Absolutely not. Earlier this year when I read Mr Wrights The Picture Frame, I gushed about it saying it was probably the best thing he had ever written. I mentioned then that his writing had matured in so many ways and pointed to the fact that his endeavours to finely tune his craft where paying off big time. With The Gates Iain Rob Wright has, in my opinion, crossed to another level in his writing."

See here for the full review:

Mercedes
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by Mr. Wright and I must say I truly enjoyed it and have already placed my order for the next one. I had no trouble loving all the characters and really getting in their skin. The story moves along at a good clip but you are never left behind. This was a nice different read on the end of the world. This is story (very similar) my very religious Grandparents told me about. Makes you really consider is your soul safe...

I'm giving it 4 stars out of 5 because of the book and th
Richard Tolleson
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that you want to read as quickly as possible to find out what happens. The author does a good job conveying a sense of dread, as well as making the action seem real. My only complaint is the lack of character development. There are so many characters that it's difficult for the author to give any of them enough "screen time" to make us care about them. I hope he corrected this by the time he wrote the second book.
thebonebreaker
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am going to be a bit ambitious with this review. Rather than one book review, I am going to give you three. (I thought that I was going to be reviewing a trilogy, however thankfully these 3 books are hopefully only the beginning.
I present to you the Hell on Earth series (Books 1 - 3)

Iain Rob Wright is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. When I finished book one of this series, I immediately had to read book two, and when I finished book two, I immediately jumped into book three. Now,
Cathy
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Iain Rob Wright has pulled it out of the bag again with his new release, The Gates. As one of his advance readers, I was lucky enough to be given a copy of this book prior to release.

The opening chapter dragged me into this story instantly even though I'd had no prior knowledge of what this book was about. In a nutshell, there are strange-looking black stones appearing in various locations all over the world but nobody knows what they are at first. As the story progresses, we discover, in the mo
Nikki
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story telling

This book is the first, in what I hope, is a long series. The concept of demons coming to Earth via portals left throughout the world by God Himself, is very unique indeed. The bevy of characters live out their individual stories of a worldwide tragedy. It's a gripping tale where the entire world is facing its demise & the variety of heroes who try to stop it from happening. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens in the remaining books to follow. This is o
Ami
Please note that it took three weeks to read only because I bought the Audible version and I can only listen when I am alone. Which is not often enough.

That said THE GATES is spectacular even for Iain Rob Wright. It scared me so much a couple of times while I was driving that I pulled over onto the shoulder of the road to calm down. I have read many of Mr. Wright's books and love them all but so far this is the best.

Sorry, I can't give any details but you really want to get them for yourself.
Amanda
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
So I really liked this book. It was running along nicely as a solid 4star read. Then it ended. Just like that. It felt like it ended halfway through, with no actual ending. Like the author had just taken a break from writing and never returned. I was immensely disappointed by this,because I was enjoying the book so much and wanted to see what direction the author was going to take it. Maybe there will be a follow up, I really hope so! But unfortunately the way this book ended has knocked this do ...more
Rodney Hammond
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I usually love these types of stories but the standard of writing is so childish and simplistic and frankly down right juvenile it was actually hard work to finish, the vocabulary is 8 th grade level and the prose downright boring, the characters are uninteresting, the plot is uninteresting, I literally did not care about any of the characters introduced and cannot imagine reading any of the following volumes
Pamellia
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This is the second book I have read from the pen of Mr. Wright and both have been unique stories, well developed and well written. I will be leaving a more detailed review on the blog, The Lazy Book Reviewer, so stop by in a few weeks, visit the site and read a more detailed review. 4.5 stars
Shawn Stephens
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable post apocalyptic horror!
Adam
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
All over the world mysterious black stones appear. They begin to pulsate, shimmer and then project a shimmering arch, through which surge hordes of demons, intent on world conquest.

The story is told through multiple viewpoints: Mina Magar, photojournalists in London, Rick Bastion, a faded alcoholic one hit wonder rock star in the UK South West, Tony Cross, a Staff Sergeant on the Iraq/Syria border, and Guy Granger, a US Coastguard off the coast of a besieged New York. All of them are close to a
Monte
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I picked this book up on a 99 cent whim, and had it a month before I read it, but I'm so glad I did. If you like well written,well researched, well thought out books,then definitely give this a try. I'm not going to bore you with a recap of the book, I'm sure lots of others already wrote those, I'm just going to tell you that, when it comes to books, and especially horror, I'm a vary hard man to impress, but impressed I was. Each character is brought to life and given their own voice, the act
Mcf1nder_sk
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
All over the world, strange black stones have suddenly appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. New York, London , Tokyo, Mumbai, the deserts of Syria; 6,000 of these stones are a sign of speculation for persons living nearby. Until gates start popping up, and the denizens of Hell make their way to earth, killing everybody in their path.
This is the first installment of the thrilling Hell on Earth series, and what an auspicious beginning it is. The stones are the biblical 6000 seals God set in place
Richard Howard
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
First the positives: it's fairly well written; the premise is interesting; there are multiple perspectives; the author is not afraid to kill off characters the reader may have affection for.
Then the negatives: page after page of extremely dull dialogue most of it quite unlikely given the circumstances (the legions of hell unleashed on the Earth); unconvincing actions by characters (I'll sail my little coastguard vessel across the Atlantic to find my kids and hang whatever else is happening!); st
Kaye Nutman
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A True hell on Earth

A well paced story covering the many ups and downs of the end of the world as we know it. Separate points of view cover the reactions of the different characters in many countries across the globe and you are soon cheering on your favorites and mourning their losses with them. The writing is engrossing, with plenty of detail keeping you on the edge of your seat; there are many twists and turns. Once The Gates open, the normality that characterises the lives of the population
Robert Jones
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The gated is that type of story that disappoints you in the beginning, but picks up pace as time goes on. In my honest opinion, this book disappointed me in the beginning. I thought the book was honestly going to be about, people toughing these stones (Gates). Then I saw that, “The Gates,” is actually a story from the view of several different people, across the nations. The battles that, the world faces as a whole is greater than, their nations individual problems. The Gates, is filled with act ...more
Dawna Seymour
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book by this author and I have to say I rather enjoyed it. The concept was terrifying, the gates of hell open and every tortured soul, demon, and fallen angel come pouring out looking for revenge. Mankind truly has to finally put aside everything that divides them and fight a common awful enemy. Will there be enough brave men and women to sacrifice to win? I don’t know because a lot of the characters I thought were important have already died. But that’s what’s gonna keep me re ...more
David
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Gates

Loved the Concept of the stones being gates, the novel kept you on your toes never knowing where you were going to end up. A very vivid picture of mankind's demise is building up, the demons have the upper hand at every juncture. But people are slowly realising that the demons can be fought and beaten all be it at a great price. I read the whole book in one sitting, it was that intense, and a freebie to boot. Fab
Kim
Aug 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
What garbage.

Bad writing and bringing in character after character then ending the book without resolving anything. I knew about halfway through that the story probably wasn't going anywhere but I kept reading hoping I was wrong. That was a mistake. The story continued to disolve into nonsense adding new characters that were increasingly irrelevant until the book ended. This is the worst writing I've seen in years. Stay away.
Michael D. Hansen
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This...

.....is a fantastic book. I had bought it back in 2016 but never got around to reading it. It wasn't until bk 4 of this series (Defiance) came out that I was reminded by the author that this is a series!!! Man, I'm glad he did!!! The action is such that you don't want to put the book down until finished!!! The characters are ALL believable and well written into the story!!!! Gonna start book 2 now!!!!!!
Alice J.
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed The Gates as a different take on the end of the world apocalypse. There was a lot of action, the story kept on moving forward and I found that I wanted to keep reading but I found that it just seemed to end. There was no rising action, no dramatic ending that made me want to read the next one, it just sort of stopped. That's my only issue with this novel but definitely worth a read.
Carol Bosselman
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Had high hopes for what sounded like a cool premise, but sadly, just a killfest. No explanation as to why this was happening, and why now. Just insert a load of cookie-cutter characters, using stereotypical dialogue to match, and go GRR Martin on a bunch of them. I would have loved this with either more character development, or with a lot more lore and background than the occasional teasers.
Michael
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Devils, demons, and beautiful half dressed fallen angels ( over 2o ft tall) are terrorizing the globe in such diabolical ways, that leave you turning pages faster as the chaos goes on. It is a light guilty pleasure of a read. Gore content above average , and I must say the British authors seem to really know how to amp up the gore quotient ( James Herbert fans will love this).
Katie Warburton
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant as always

Took a little while to get into this book, which is not like the other books of Iain's i have read previously. I found it started off at a slower pace than others, but it soon picked up. I got to the end and wanted more! I need to find out what is happening. Looking forward to reading the next instalment. Highly recommended.
Jonathan
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book does not pull any punches! It's a gory and desperate fight to survive as demons invade our world. For much of the book it really feels like humans are going to lose. The end was a bit weaker as the author relies on some common tropes to path the path to the sequel.
I hope the second book is as good as the first!
Melody Oakerson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hell on earth is here.

Loved the book and the teasers for the sequel at the end of the book. Great story lines, fully fleshed out characters who are engaging and interesting. Can't wait for the other books in the series. God's and demons and humans all fighting for survival. Loved it!
  • White
  • Hunger (Hunger #1)
  • The Consultant
  • Mace of the Apocalypse
  • Without (Without, #1)
  • Holes in the Ground
  • Exodus (Hellgate: London, #1)
  •  Kutter
  • Plague Nation (Ashley Parker, #2)
  • The Silent Victor (Beginnings Series, #1)
  • Scratch (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #7)
  • Bloodletting
  • Arrival (The Black #2)
  • The Deluge
  • Kayla and the Devil
  • Quarantined
  • The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • The Dead Parade
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec

Hell on Earth (3 books)
  • Legion: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel (Hell on Earth, #2)
  • Extinction: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel (Hell on Earth, #3)
“People are afraid, Mina. And when people are afraid, their inner cavemen come out. There’s no rationality in a man when he panics. Just keep your head down and don’t stop moving.” 2 likes
“I would rather trust a man because he earned it, than because I owe it to him.” 1 likes