Jump to ratings and reviews

The Song #2

Reid's Deliverance

Can their bond withstand the test of time?

178 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 15, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Nina Crespo

44 books1,058 followers
Nina Crespo lives in Florida where she indulges in her favorite passions -- the beach, a good glass of wine, date night with her own real-life hero and dancing. Her lifelong addiction to romance began in her teens while on a "borrowing spree" in her older sister's bedroom where she discovered her first romance novel. Let Nina's sensual contemporary stories and steamy paranormal tales satisfy your own craving for love, romance, and happily ever after.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (2%)
1 star
1 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews
Profile Image for Siobhan Davis.
Author 99 books7,770 followers
March 13, 2016
When I read the blurb for this book and saw mention of secret time-travelling agents, I knew I had to read it. I used to love the TV series, Quantum Leap, as a teenager and it made me think of that. So, yeah, I really wanted to read it!

I enjoyed the paranormal aspects of the story, even though I was initially a little confused over certain things ( I haven't read the first book and assume if I had that it wouldn't have been an issue at all.) Once I got into the meat of the story, it was more transparent and my confusion cleared.

Lauren's impulsiveness irritated me a little. She has a list she ranks men by yet she seems more than ready to throw it out the window once she meets Reid. There were a few occasions where she would say one thing only to immediately contradict herself, and that grated on me a little. She doesn't want to go out with a guy in the military because of her daddy issues. I could understand that, but again she only gives that fleeting consideration with Reid, even though he's ex-military and then she discovers the whole time-travelling complication.

I loved Reid, and I could understand why he kept himself detached. It made more sense than a list. I liked how the guys were all in a band (Thane's Redemption) and it was a kinda funny mix, but it works.

They both try to avoid the burgeoning chemistry between them but inevitably give into it. The romantic/sex scenes are well written, and I bought into them as a couple.

There is a sub-plot going on in the background with the time-travelling aspect that was decent, but I felt it could have been further developed.

The balance of action and romance was well-paced, the writing was good, and the book flowed well.

Overall, this was a good paranormal romance, and if you like time-travelling stories then you should definitely pick it up.

Actual rating 3.5 stars.

Thanks to Barclay Publicity for providing a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Profile Image for Elaine.
3,219 reviews96 followers
March 15, 2016
Another fast paced, action filled addition to this series, this story has one of the heroic, time travelling band members splitting up when danger threatens a loved one. Little did they realise this is just the start of encounters with a new foe, one in which ancient enmities are rekindled and even more dangers encountered.

Imagine falling in love with someone but then, when they leave, having no memory of them. Next imagine if you met them again, the attraction is as rampant and all consuming as ever but you don't understand why you instantaneously feel this way and it is totally out of character for you. You realise that you seem to know each other, your foibles and needs but can't remember ever meeting before. That's what it is like for Lauren, the heroine in this story. She has loved and lost Reid in the past but has no memory of their passionate night together, but he remembers it well, perhaps too well for his own sake?

This is a fantastic, time travelling story of love disappearing, only to be reencountered ..... Of love, trust, secrets, dangers, kidnapping and contacts with ancients proving both enlightening and perilous. This is a paranormal, science fiction adventure with threads of romance and love woven seamlessly throughout. Totally engaging, I have enjoyed earlier novels in this series and can't wait for the next one to be available, too! A tantalisingly different, highly entertaining and engaging series of books to which this is a very welcome addition - but it continues to whet my appetite to read more as the enthralling, fast paced saga continues.

Thanks to the author, publishers and NetGalley, too, for letting me read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Melody  May (What I'm Reading).
1,485 reviews21 followers
March 17, 2016
Profile Image for Karen.
1,008 reviews10 followers
May 29, 2016
Book #2, Reid;s Deliverance is just as good as Thane's Redemption. I would recommend reading them in order because this story deals with time travel and some readers may get lost. Otherwise, this is a good and well paced story with a sexy somewhat detached hero. I like Reid and what he's about and there are sparks galore between him and Lauren. I had mixed feelings about Lauren who was a bit wishy washy and irked me more than once. That doesn't deter me from liking this different kind of paranormal series!

I was given a review copy in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley
Profile Image for Jessica Alcazar.
3,861 reviews434 followers
March 3, 2019
okay, so even tho the book had elements I don't normally read (time travel and such) because they're just too outside my realm of possibility, I went ahead and gave the book a try. And I must say, not bad...the chemistry between our leads was pretty hot, the story-line was entertaining without being ridiculous (remember, this stuff is ridicucraycray for me so ...) and the action/suspense portion of the story kept me hooked.
So overall, I'd have to give it a high rec.

Copy provided by Barclay Publicity PR for blog tour review
Profile Image for Bess.
331 reviews
August 2, 2016
In general this book has more plot and less romance than the others books yet I find the plot very lame and did not hold me interested. Reaid and Lauren have insta-love and they both forget each other and fall in lovu twice.
Dalir's brother broke some Reid bones and HEA.
Profile Image for Monique.
624 reviews40 followers
December 16, 2016
While I liked the first book in this 3-part series, I liked this one better. There were more emotional scenes and action...and yes, there were also a few more sex scenes, in which some could have been implied. (The language used when describing said sex scenes wasn't too crass, so...)
And the introduction of a very creepy, sadistic villain? Yes! I love attractive, bat shit villains. lol
Anyway, I loved Reid and Lauren's story. A few times, I wanted to strangle the both of them for being pig-headed and super-obtuse. Considering all of the dizzying time travel though - especially for Lauren (and the heroines in general), I gave the H/h a pass.
The scene/dream with Reid opening up to Lauren while playing the piano - Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3, no less - almost turned me into a blubbering fool.
Too bad I can't rate this 3.75 stars!
(Some may wonder at my rating style: I really did like this book, but I only save my 4 and 5 star ratings for reads that I really like and love).
Profile Image for Adria's Musings.
844 reviews40 followers
March 29, 2016
Originally posted on Adria's Romance Reviews

* A copy of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review.

Keyboardist Reid is actually a time traveling covert agent sworn to protect the innocent. He spends one memorable night with a woman looking to forget her troubles for awhile. With orders to help his fellow band mates/agents find out who and why operatives are dying, Reid doesn’t have time for a relationship with Lauren, not to mention she has trust issues, so he walks away and tries to forget her. When he defies orders and travels into the future alone to try and find answers, Reid is severely injured to the point where he barely has the strength to get himself to safety, which coincidentally lands him on Lauren’s doorstep.

Neither Reid nor Lauren remembers their night together but their attraction is undeniable and Lauren is drawn to Reid and helps him. As Reid’s memories begin to return, he has another choice to make: Go back to his solitary life or take a chance on Lauren?

It’s been awhile since I read the first book in the series and I really enjoyed it so it was no chore to read Reid’s Deliverance.

I really like the concept of time traveling covert agents masquerading as a rock band. It’s something I’ve never heard of before and author Nina Crespo has made this book just as interesting and engaging as the first! Reid and the other members of the rock band Thane’s Redemption travel through time in order to stop a very powerful enemy and while it has its benefits, these are single men who are eventually going to want to share their lives with some very special women and having a relationship with their lifestyle comes with its own set of complications.

The story hits the ground running and doesn’t let up until the very end, with twists, turns and surprises along the way. The pace might be a tad too fast for some readers but for me it worked. I don’t like plots that drag on and on, especially if it’s a plot that involves a lot suspense and action.

Reid and Lauren had some amazing physical chemistry that was totally believable but it was their emotional relationship that took some convincing. Reid was a great guy; he was driven to do the right thing even when he didn’t have his memories. I loved how protective he was of Lauren yet I didn’t get the sense that he was smothering her. He had a pretty calm personality which helped him survive intense situations and balanced out Lauren’s more high strung one.

Lauren took some convincing. She had trust issues and I didn’t blame her for that but she didn’t seem to be able to make up her mind about Reid. One minute she didn’t want to be with any man who was ex-military because of the issues she had with her father yet she was ready to throw caution to the wind with Reid. It was back and forth with her for a bit and I found it a bit tiresome. I did like the fact that she handled Reid’s time traveling revelation better than I thought. It takes a strong woman to be able to handle that aspect of their lover’s life. It’s a pretty unexpected revelation.

While Reid’s Deliverance is part of a series, it can be read as a standalone. I can’t quite put my finger on what it is but there’s a difference in writing style between this one and the first book. The best thing about this book is that unlike the first, it doesn’t end in a cliffhanger.

Final Verdict: Nina Crespo did a great job first of all with the concept of this series, it’s so unique that it stands out among the thousands of other time traveling romances. Reid’s Deliverance had a few bumps along the way but overall it was a good way to spend some time. I can’t wait for the next book.
Profile Image for Steph.
993 reviews85 followers
April 4, 2016
I wonder how far away our own ability to time travel is, because I'd kinda like to meet a sexy covert operative who keeps the world safe from nefarious evildoers.

As the sexy keyboardist of Thane's Redemption, Reid Montgomery is like an aphrodisiac to women. But it's Lauren Blake he can't stop thinking about after spending a life changing night in her bed. Like the rest of his bandmates, Reid is a time-traveling covert agent, and while life is definitely interesting, an unfortunate pitfall of the job is that nobody will remember anything about him after he "phases" from their time period. After a fellow agent makes what seems like a hasty decision, Reid is left in charge and trying to figure out the clusterfuck that happened 2 years in the future.

When a strange man shows up on her doorstep with no idea who he is, Lauren knows she should feel some sort of apprehension, but all she feels is the strongest sense of deja vu. Reid can't remember a thing about his life before Lauren found him, but their connection is undeniable. When they both realize the truth behind Reid's sudden appearance, the decisions they make will change both their lives forever.

I'm not typically one for any sort of paranormal read, but I really enjoyed the different vibe of REID'S DELIVERANCE. Reid was an interesting character, he goes through his life not connecting on a deep level with anyone because their memories of him are wiped when he phases, but whatever it is about Lauren has him lamenting what might have been. Lauren has no clue Reid even exists, but even she can't deny the sparks between them when they reconnect at her cabin. She's understanding and sweet but with a fierce side that makes you want to be BFF's with her. The two had great chemistry and you couldn't help but root for them to make it through the insanity and emerge stronger. I did love the ending too, it was sweet and sexy and unique. The mystery/danger element was well done and left a nice setup for the next book in the The Song Series.

Bottom Line: Sweet, hot and all around different. REID'S DELIVERANCE absolutely delivered! - See more at: http://erotic.theromancereviews.com/v...

The Romance Review - See more at: http://erotic.theromancereviews.com/v...
Profile Image for Amanda  B Gillespie.
507 reviews15 followers
March 18, 2016
"Can their bond withstand the test of time?
Lauren isn't looking for love when she spends a scintillating night with Reid, the sexy keyboardist of Thane's Redemption. While their passion may be off the charts, her trust issues--and Reid's secret life as a time-traveling covert agent--makes any chance for a relationship impossible."

"When operatives involved in a mysterious project begin dying, Reid defies orders and travels alone into the future to find the cause. But when things go dangerously awry, it takes all of his strength to get himself back to safety--and directly onto Lauren's doorstep. While neither of them remembers their night of passion, their intense connection leads Lauren to help him. But as Reid's memories reignite, will he be forced to sacrifice everything to finish his mission--including the woman he loves?"

Though I'm sure Reid's Deliverance can be read as a stand-alone for many, it was not a good idea for me. I was confused after Reid phased and when he was talking about Dalir as the "ancient one" that could see the future. There were also allusions to past events that I couldn't quite get a handle on. That was until I looked on Goodreads and found a very comprehensive review of Thanes Redemption. Then everything came together and made sense. This made the read much more enjoyable. I liked how the characters were well developed and how Lauren's daddy issues caused real issues concerning how she felt about men in general. I liked how Reid never gives up, even when he initially lets his feelings of insecurity get the best of him.
I liked how the characters were well developed and how Laurens Daddy issues caused real issues concerning how she felt about men in general. I liked how Reid never gives up, even when he initially lets his feelings of insecurity get the best of him.
I wasn't a fan of Lauren's wishy-washiness. I felt her ideas of what to look for in a man were unattainable and that she was prejudiced against someone that defends our country, even though I understood her reasons behind her actions. I thought she would have been more believable if she had a little more conflict about Reid instead of just going with her lustful feelings. I also felt like the ending was a bit rushed.
This book was a quick read and had a few steamy episodes and would be a good read for those that enjoy Paranormal/Contemporary Romance with a little Sci-Fi thrown in.

@NinaCrespo21 @Barclay_PR

**I received a copy of the book from Barclay Publishing and Nina Crespo in exchange for an honest review**
Profile Image for Heather R Callahan.
242 reviews26 followers
Heat Level: # 4 flames out of 5
Rating: # 3.8 stars out of 5
Blurb:

Review:

This is the second book in a series about ex-soldiers who travel through time. I didn’t read the first one, but the author explains everything you will need to know.

Reid plays the piano in a band, but also travels in time. He is super-hot, and very kind. Lauren has some serious trust issues, so she is good with a one night stand. Only that isn’t where it ends. Reid winds up on Lauren’s doorstep, but neither remember each other. Even though they don’t know each other, they still have an unbelievable chemistry.

This is the first book of Nina’s I have read. She has a different style of writing, that in parts I found hard to connect with. I enjoyed the story, and I would be willing to read other books by Nina.

ASIN: B0120AT3JQ
PACING 4 Stars
ENDING 4 Stars
CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT 4 Stars

Find this book on Goodreads

ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review. Reviewed by Heather from Alpha Book Club description description
Profile Image for Merissa (Archaeolibrarian).
3,395 reviews90 followers
March 16, 2016
Reid's Deliverance is the second book in The Song series, although you don't have to have read book one for this to make sense.

Basically, the long and short of it is that a group of 'military' are able to time travel, spending their time sorting out problems and trying to prevent situations such as pandemics. They have the cover of being a band and are a close-knit unit. Of course, things never go according to plan, and their leader, Thane, makes the decision to stand down, go into the future and save the life of the woman he loves. Reid can't agree with his decision, but becomes leader in his stead. This leads to a set of events that will change the course of Reid's life.

This is an action-packed story, full of time travel, hot and steamy scenes, confusion, amnesia, and decisions that need to be made. Well written and well paced, this is an enthralling book that will keep your attention from page to page. This is definitely a series that I want more of! Definitely recommended.

* I received this book from Barclay Publicity / NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!
320 reviews1 follower
March 14, 2016
This is the second book in the series. In this one you see more of Lauren and Reid's point of view. I liked that you still got to see about Thane and Celine, as well as their friends and also a few other new characters. Memories are important as you see more in the story.

I am not sure what I would do in any of the situations in the book. I must say for Lauren having her rules, she sure keeps breaking them. I am kind of noticing that they are seem to be doing things differently. When I first started reading this book and the last book I wasn't really getting the time traveling as much as I do now. I thought they chose to erase the memory, but then you learn it's what happens during a certain part of it.

They seem to have their drawbacks and reservations. I can understand wanting to keep the memory forever, but seems like a lot of sacrifices. This has the sexy Angel and who wouldn't want to keep learning more about him and his missions. I like to see what adventures they are going on and how they live their lives.
Profile Image for Kimberly Anne.
3,167 reviews177 followers
March 14, 2016

Profile Image for She Hearts Books.
2,079 reviews67 followers
March 14, 2016
I so love the premise of this series by Nina. A group of time traveling men hiding in plain sight as a rock band. I loved Thane and Celine's story and couldn't wait to read Reid and Lauren's story.

Lauren was going through a hard time with the loss of her estranged father when Reid comes back into her life. They had spent a night of passion together before he left on assignment and was not even a memory for her. He comes back when a mission goes bad and now he doesn't remember her either. They shared some serious steamy moments in that cabin then Lauren is taken by an unexpected enemy. They will not only battle this enemy, but also miscommunication and mistrust. Reid will have to decide if their love is worth fighting for. I really enjoyed their story.

I give Reid's Deliverance 4 hearts!
Profile Image for Carla.
742 reviews39 followers
February 8, 2016
I got this book for an honest review on Netgalley by the publisher

This book is number 2 on the series and it can be read as a standalone because the author explains perfectly the situation and the lives of the characters you were supposed to meet on the first book.

The whole idea of a group of super ex soldiers that travel through time to save the world was just perfect!

I found Reid to be an amazing character, he was complex but had so much within him, I thought it was really romantic that even though he couldn't remember anything he sought her out.

The plot has enough action to keep you on your toes and some pretty good sex scenes.
Profile Image for Becky.
2,939 reviews122 followers
March 21, 2016
I definitely recommend reading book one (Thane's Redemption) first--the first real explanation you get of what is going on with The Song, Reid, Thane, and the rest of them doesn't come in this book until after 60%, and it's all just different enough from anything else you've probably read to be confusing...

Though it does help you emphasize with Lauren, that's for sure!

Reid's Deliverance is a unique story with interesting characters--one heck of a ride! But it doesn't work all that well as a standalone.

Rating: 3 1/2 stars / B-

I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Vero Stro.
836 reviews1 follower
December 14, 2016
This is the second book in The Song Series and the first time I have read something by Nina Crespo. This book can be read as a standalone because the writer explains everything you might have missed from Book 1.

This series is about ex-soldiers who travel through time.

Reid not only plays the piano in a band, but he also travels in time. He is sexy, hot and a very nice person. Lauren after some pretty bad experiences, doesn't believe in people easily. She prefers one night stands without any hassles. Reid and Lauren have great chemistry and the story is very entertaining with a nice plot.

I received an ecopy by the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review.
Profile Image for Marie Vasquez.
1,598 reviews73 followers
September 27, 2016

This was an improvement from the previous book in the series. Though, I still feel it lacked sufficient development for both characters, having read the previous book I know a bit more that I did before.

This story line provided more interaction between hero (Reid) and heroine (Lauren); which allowed me the time to get to know them as a couple and see them fall in love. This was something that really lacked in the first book.
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.