Start by marking “The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth” as Want to Read:
The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth

The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth

A seminal work by bestselling author Clayton M. Christensen.

In his international bestseller The Innovator's Dilemma, Clayton M. Christensen exposed this crushing paradox behind the failure of many industry leaders: by placing too much focus on pleasing their most profitable customers, these firms actually paved the way for their own demise by ignoring the disruptive technologies that
Published October 1st 2003 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published January 1st 2003)

Sundarraj Kaushik
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A wonderful follow up book to Innovator's Dilemma from Mr. Christensen. In this book Mr. Christensen gives the entrepreneurs different aspects to be considered when coming up with an innovative solution. He points out how traditional way of working may not be the most suitable and in fact in many situations harmful for developments of innovative disruptive solutions.

The key take away from the books is
1. Start innovating early. Do not wait for the company to reach a stage where
Aisha
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took me a while, but worth finally persevering to the end. This isn't your typical business book, with a few nice aphorisms and over and done with in a couple of hours. No, this is a tightly argued guide to repeated disruptive innovation. And its not easy, in fact, Christensen even admits that he knows of only a handful of businesses that have achieved it, and a large part of their success came from the influence of their founders. The suggestions he makes does, however, suggest an explanatio ...more
Diego Petrucci
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Disruption" is one of the most misunderstood terms — it implies not only a technological advancement, but a specific kind of innovation that — while un-interesting at first— is poised to become a real breakthrough.

There are two types of disruptive innovation: ones is low-end disruption (i.e. something that costs less than the main thing and performs worse for a while, until it gets better but still costs less), the other is new-market disruption (i.e. a product whose main consumer i
Michael Burnam-Fink
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: innovation, 2013
Where The Innovator's Dilemma was about theory, this is about implementation-a recipe for managers looking to lead successful companies. Christensen admirably tackles the complex problem of guiding a company though times of disruption. There's a lot here, but the essence is that if you want to succeed, start with an idea that is somewhat profitable and go after customers who are under-served, either because no product exists that fits their needs, or they're the least profitable segment of an establish ...more
Rushabh
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I finially finished working my way through this excellent book. I think the Solution is actually better than the Problem - but is not a substitute.

It has excellent lessons, with the usual case studies that is standard Christenson fare. I believe these to be important regardless of your particular situation - may you be a worker bee in a big organization, an entrepreneur trying to figure out how to break into a market or a big company exec trying to figure out how to not get eaten by
Peter Choi
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Picked up this book off-hand out of curiosity, but couldn't put it down. Many of the books in this genre are full of fluff, but this one is filled with theory and insight. This evening, I was reading an article on Google moving into the netbook arena next year with its mobile-based Android operating system. Steve Ballmer has repeatedly dismissed the idea of Android/Chrome being any threat to Microsoft Office, but Google is doing exactly what this book warns, positioning itself in a seemingly non ...more
Samcwright
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’ve come to appreciate this book more and more over the years. Great insights for thinking through strategy. I still think we use the word “disruption” too much and it’s good going back and reminding myself of its original meaning.
Michael Cestas
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Solved a dilemma I had.
Schuyler
Mar 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Glenn recommended this to me over dinner before Christmas as the $20 version of one of his favorite classes/professors at HBS. Imagine my delight when I discovered it was available on the Kindle (after getting a Kindle for Christmas this year one of the hardest things initially was deciding what to read on it, since I have a stack of physical books I want to read and I didn't want to repurchase any of those). The book is all about the business of innovation, and is rife with historical examples ...more
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It is not an easy book, I wont lie.
And doing it in Audio format probably made it even harder.

It is written in a very formal style. And although he tries to summarise key points and keep referring back to them, there is just so much information/theory/examples in this book.

You need to be in the type of position in a company where you get exposed to these high level sales/ideas/innovation decisions for this book to probably make any sense.

It really does cl
Yevgeniy Brikman
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A few nuggets wrapped in so much business-speak that it's genuinely hard to read. There's only so many times I can hear terms like "enhancing shareholder value," "new-market disruptive growth businesses," and "earn attractive returns on lower gross margins" before my eyes glaze over. I found myself tuning in and out, and would suddenly realize that I remembered nothing from the last 20 minutes of reading.

Also, like so many business books, it's not clear if this book gives you tools that are pre
Tim
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A truly thought-provoking business book about how to make innovation work in all companies. However brilliant the content, it is written in a very formal style, and is hard to read.

Details: Back by excellent research and detailed analysis this book explains how some companies succeed with innovation and why some fail. Using case studies the authors delve into what makes companies successfully innovate and comes up with some surprising rules around organizational structure.

Andrea
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best business books I have ever read. I read this during undergrad study in Business. I could almost feel the light bulb coming on in my head! Told using easy-to-understand language, it is a must read for those who wish to understand how to compete in today's business environment.
Catherine Muller
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Examples were a bit outdated. Enjoyed the part describing how Blackberry / RIM was on the right track and camera phones were unlikely to take off.
Anne
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
a very interesting business book about disruption and innovation, including what established firms can do to remain leaders
Lincoln
A lot of good interesting ideas and well founded research. Just a bit over my head
Niniane Wang
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the top 5 business books I've read. Explained a lot of things I noticed about creating and growing software products!
Jayakrishnan S
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though not amongst the most popular of Clayton Christensen's classics, The Innovator's Solution could certainly be rated over its parent-work - The Innovator's Dilemma - for two reasons: first, it offers an actionable sequence of steps for senior management grappling with disruptive innovation; second, it details all the key concepts and examples laid out in the original work, obviating the need for reading it. For any business to create a new growth opportunity, there exists three distinct rout ...more
Rahul Amarasinghe
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Far more detailed than Seeing What's Next; the book didn't really go into non-market factors and he only briefly examined companies/industries. Although a lot of examples were mentioned before and more thoroughly examined in his other books, the examples were more to convey how to apply the principles put forth throughout this book.

For anyone attempting to launch a new venture or expand their current business this book provides ample tools to do so. The sections on asymmetric motivat
Andre Kubota
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jobs to be done theory. "People dont want a quarter inch drill, they want a quater inch hole". Milk shake case. Segmentin by traditional metrics might reduce adressable market, blinds you to emerging competitors and causes improvements to your product that are irrelevant to customers.

Concepts of low end (making products that are good enough to meet needs of currently overserved customers using a sustaining lowe cost business model) and new market disruption (making products that targ
Andrew Spencer
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and well written book. Most business books feel like the introduction gives an interesting concept and the rest of the book repeats it in different ways. This book didn't feel like that. There was some repetition throughout the book, but primarily it felt like the framework was being applied to new and important problems in each section.

The book also didn't have the level of arrogance many business books written by consultants or academics have. The authors are convinced by the
Jason Carter
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Christensen's "The Innovator's Dilemma" is one of the standard texts on why successful companies are so often incapable of managing disruption in their respective industries. This second book tells *how* companies can approach disruption in the market.

Full of practical advice and well-researched data support, this is a must-read for heads of companies that need to be constantly growing and adapting.
Kyle Harrison
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted this book by a very good friend. At first, it was to help me prepare for a job interview. But after awhile, I realized that it wasn’t just another Innovator’s “INSERT BUZZWORD HERE” book. Instead, it was a revolutionary approach to entrepreneurship, whether you’re building something from scratch, or internally within an existing company.

Andriy Bas
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
Overall interesting. About the concept how the business become commodities, how the companies innovate, the benefits of vertical and modular businesses and when to use each.

But the author gives sooo many general suggestions about "any" kind of business. Too general and not specific. I cannot know for sure but have a feeling these best suggestions just don't work.
Ime1
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blindly copying the best practices of successful companies without the guidance of circumstance-contingent theory is akin to fabricating feathered wings and flapping hard.

Patient for growth impatient for profit.
Ba
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A theory that describes how does a manager escape the Innovator's Dilemma.
The Innovator's Solution is a Christenson book that expands on The Innovator's Dilemma and posits several theories about paths to escape the dilemma.
Mark Vance
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It defines the 21st century marketplace ... innovate or die. For years, Japanese dominance of technology was predicated entirely on efficiency and cost-cutting. Without innovation however, effectiveness and market share decline proportionally.
Lauri Svan
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Clayton Christensen has managed to capture his theories of market disruption, jobs to be done and the transfer of value in value chain into a single, easy to understand book.

Highly recommended for anybody that wants to make a bit more systematic search on finding the the next big idea.
Gerard Chiva
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fundamental read to understand the forces and circumstances around innovation and strategy.

Four stars just because it’s quite boring but the concepts are crucial.
Giuliano
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A good read for sure!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Inside the Tornado: Strategies for Developing, Leveraging, and Surviving Hypergrowth Markets
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • The Art Of The Long View:  Planning For The Future In An Uncertain World
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Business Law
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization
  • The Competitive Advantage of Nations
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • Get Back in the Box: Innovation from the Inside Out
  • Ten Types of Innovation: The Discipline of Building Breakthroughs
  • The Innovator's Hypothesis: How Cheap Experiments Are Worth More Than Good Ideas
Clayton M. Christensen is the Robert and Jane Cizik Professor of Business Administration at the Harvard Business School, with a joint appointment in the Technology & Operations Management and General Management faculty groups. He is best known for his study of innovation in commercial enterprises. His first book, The Innovator's Dilemma, articulated his theory of disruptive technology.
“People don’t want to buy a quarter-inch drill. They want a quarter-inch hole.” 6 likes
“Disruptive innovations, in contrast, don’t attempt to bring better products to established customers in existing markets. Rather, they disrupt and redefine that trajectory by introducing products and services that are not as good as currently available products. But disruptive technologies offer other benefits—typically, they are simpler, more convenient, and less expensive products that appeal to new or less-demanding customers.3” 2 likes