Start by marking “They Just Know: Animal Instincts” as Want to Read:
They Just Know: Animal Instincts

Read Book

They Just Know: Animal Instincts

(Life Cycles)

How do some young animals know what to do and how to do it? Does someone teach a caterpillar what to eat? Who gives a baby shark swimming lessons? Sometimes young animals learn things from their parents, but other times… they just know!

Explore animal instincts through engaging text and fanciful illustrations.
Published September 10th 2015 by Arbordale Publishing (first published August 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about They Just Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Just Know

Start your review of They Just Know: Animal Instincts
Barbara
Pretty, color-drenched illustrations with kid-appeal and engaging text identify some of the things that animals simply know instinctively how to do. Animals featured include sea turtles, butterflies, spring peepers, kingsnakes, and even ladybugs. As always with this publisher, there are plenty of activity pages for readers to extend their knowledge. This is a good introductory text to include in a science classroom library.
Mark
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was a lucky winner of this book here on Goodreads. It is very well written with great illustrations & full of great factual information. My little girls enjoyed this book a lot. I hope that Robin Yardi writes many more books like this.

Christina
It's a great book. ...more
Serenity
*I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher*

3.5 stars. This would be a good book to have in the classroom when talking about animal behaviors, especially considering the activities in the back. The illustrations are cute. It was kind of weird that for some animals the author used specific species, but for other general names (horn shark, sea turtle), but I think readers will not mind.
Jenna Vick
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: rding-350
In the book, it talks about how each animal can do things on their own. It shows how they don't need any help when they are younger.

I liked this book. It had a cute meaning and good pictures while all still being educational

This book could be used in the classroom when discussing science and animals.
Tomi Alger
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This informative book introduces activities that animals do or know by instinct. Examples include baby turtles who know how to get to the sea and butterflies that can just take off flying and snakes that know when to shed their skins. Kids will like creative drawings. I liked the large font.
Vera Godley
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Arbordale provides great little books packed with real information with a story line that entertains and educates. in They Just Know: Animal Instincts the author and illustrator have presented the truth of how animals do the things they do without having any "lessons." They just know is all about instincts each animal has and how these animal instincts do not occur in children but must be learned.

As the illustrator creates scenes throughout the book, she uses realistic illustrations showing crea
Taryn Loyd
This book basically answers the basic question of "how does an animal know what it needs to do?" The book goes through various animals and insects and talks about how some animals "just know" what to do, versus some animals that need to be taught what to do.

I thought this book was cute, and I definitely think I would use it in the class. I remember wondering how certain animals knew how to do certain things, so I think this would be good.
Aube
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm an elementary science teacher and used this book in a life-cycle unit. The kids I've read this to love that it's funny AND factual. It does a nice job at contrasting the silly ideas that we sometimes have about animals and the real deal.

I've found some kids prefer the silly pages while other kids prefer what they call the 'real' pages, which makes this book a crowd pleaser!
Heather Burleson
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A creative children's book that is not only entertaining, but also teaches children about real animal instincts! My daughter loves the pictures as well, and sits quietly while I read the entire book (which is pretty incredible because she is only a year old). Love this book! ...more
Emily
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
An informative science text about animal instincts. Good for a classroom library with educational end matter. It can get a little confusing though/ hard to explain.

Gr. K-2
Apr 29, 2016
Gwen Dandridge
Oct 18, 2015
Robin Yardi
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jessi

• What Happens Next
  • Elmer's Birthday
  • Happy Easter, Curious George
  • Never Feed a Yeti Spaghetti
  • Spiders (New & Updated Edition)
  • Ocean Hide and Seek
  • With Any Luck, I'll Drive a Truck
Robin Yardi lives in the California foothills, where—every once in a while, in the dark of night—a skunk or two will sneak by and an owl will hoot. She loves good stories, odd animals, homemade cakes, and kids.

Life Cycles (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Astro: The Steller Sea Lion
  • Baby Owl's Rescue
  • The Beavers' Busy Year (Physical & Behavioral Adaptation)
  • A Butterfly Called Hope
  • Felina's New Home: A Florida Panther Story
  • Ferdinand Fox's First Summer (Physical & Behavioral Adaptation)
  • Happy Birthday to Whooo?
  • Henry the Impatient Heron