Start by marking “The Legend of Ghost Dog Island (Nikki Landry Swamp Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Ghost Dog Island (Nikki Landry Swamp Legends, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Legend of Ghost Dog Island

(Nikki Landry Swamp Legends #1)

Behind every legend lies the truth.

Moving is nothing new for ten-year-old Nikki Landry. Her fisherman father relocates their raggedy old houseboat several times a year in search of better crabbing spots. However, their latest move has brought her to a mysterious bayou where she feels something is watching her from a nearby island.

Nikki learns of a local legend about someth
Published September 1st 2015 by Mirror World Publishing (first published November 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Ghost Dog Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Ghost Dog Island

Cordelia Dinsmore
If you appreciate atmosphere in your historical mystery, this would be a great choice. Ms. Monette took me back to my own childhood when I visited the bayou country of Louisiana. She does a great job of maintaining an authentic MG voice throughout this tale of a young girl trying to solve a mystery, and trying to find her place in the world. Her characters are three-dimensional - even her little dog, Snooper, who proved to be just as plucky as his mistress. I bought this book for myself as a Chr ...more
Clarissa Johal
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of mystery novels similar to Trixie Belden or Nancy Drew, you will love this book. Rita Monette is a very gifted story-teller and her illustrations are beautiful. Her gift for capturing the essence of the Louisiana bayou and its Cajun people, adds a wonderful layer to this story. The characters are well-developed and the mystery is intriguing enough for adults. I felt for the lead character, Nikki Landry. Nikki is initially reluctant to make friends because her family has a hist ...more
Sharon Ledwith
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without ever leaving the confines of my comfy chair, Rita Monette transported me back to Louisiana, circa 1956, and into 10-year-old Nikki Landry’s world. A carefully-crafted love story about a girl and her dog, Monette stirs up her brand of literary gumbo using unique smells and settings, while creating believable characters with a flavor of down-home dialogue. Add a spicy mixture of an old legend, topped with delectable mannerisms and savory Cajun slang, and you’ve got yourself one heck of a m ...more
Sharon Ledwith
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

Ten-year-old Nikki Landry lives in the same home she was born in, but she has moved several times each and every year of her life. She lives with her mother, father, and younger brother on a houseboat, and her father relocates them frequently as he searches for the best crabbing spots. Nikki hates moving. She no sooner starts making friends when she is uprooted once again. The latest move to a really mysterious bayou takes her from he
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)

The Legend of Ghost Dog Island is the story of ten year old Nikki Landry who has just shifted to a mysterious bayou full of tales of a mysterious werewolf and the unknown but very frightening howling sound that pierces the calm often here. Intrigued by the stories but also afriad, Nikki is trying to adjust to a new place when her beloved dog goes missing. Determined to find him, she will have to uncover the truth about the myths of the Ghost Dog Island fir
Sapphyria
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sapphyria by: http://ritamonette.blogspot.com/
Nikki Landry is no stranger to moving. Her family moves whenever her father decides it's time for a new crabbing location, which is frequently. They live on a houseboat in the bayou of Louisiana, making the moves a whole bunch easier than if they lived on land. Except, it isn't easy for 10-year-old Nikki.

This time, she doesn't want to make any new friends. There isn't any point since they probably won't stay here for any length of time. That doesn't last long, however, after she hears the Legen
Diana
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nikki Landry and her friends are wonderful.

Step back in time to a cleaner, better place...where the children can run free and find the answers to legends and mysteries.... the characters are well rounded...such a lovely series to wrapped up in...thank you for this series...
Michelle Stanley
Reviewed by Michelle Stanley for Readers' Favorite

The Legend of Ghost Dog Island (Nikki Landry Swamp Legends) is an adventure for children by Rita Monette. Ten-year-old Nikki is sad because her father, a fisherman, has to move their houseboat to another town along the bayou where the crabbing is better. She meets Patti and Spike from the new school and hears the scary tale of a swamp creature that steals dogs’ spirits.

Nikki finds an old bottle containing a cryptic poem and a key, and notices lig
Jane
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The Legend of Ghost Dog Island is a fun and adventure filled middle grade novel featuring a likable and spunky heroine and an interesting cast of both child and adult characters. The story takes place in 1956 Louisiana, where the author grew up herself – giving this book a very authentic feel. The narrator, Nikki, has a unique way of talking with Louisiana flavour and descriptions – all of which added to the atmosphere of the story and never felt overdone. This novel reminded me of books I read ...more
Wendy Hines
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Legend of Ghost Dog Island is geared toward middle grade but is also a quick, entertaining read for adults. The characters are well developed and Nikki drives the story with her wit, determination and her quest for the truth.

Less than two hundred pages, it has easy enough words to understand for a middle grader, yet the suspense and the addition of Nikki's dog will keep young readers enthralled as the story unfolds. While I was expecting the ending, there were a few unexpected twists and sur
Jan
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recieved this book as a part of Goodreads First Reads.

This is a very good book for children to read bewteen ages 8 and 10. It reminded me of the Nancy Drew Mysteries that I read as a child. I would definitely recommend this book for kids.

Note: To the person who listed the giveaway, please use a bigger mailing envelope in the future as the book arrived damaged because it was in too small an envelope.
Tiffany Tinney
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** I won this books on goodreads first reads.
I loved that this book was realistic. The wording was as if you really were in the 1950's. Nikki was a cute kid that had spunk and the story although written for kids did keep you in suspense and wanting to read the next chapter. I would read further storylines with the these characters if written. The author is a great storyteller.
K.S. Jones
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nikki Landry (the main character) is a terrific girl who lives in the Louisiana bayous with her parents and Snooper, her beloved beagle. She is a great character who is oh-so-normal in an fabulously unique way that is so unlike "everyday normal," unless you're a swamper, too. This is a delightful book!
Mary
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed
Even though this book is middle grade adults will enjoy the story too. I enjoyed the main character Nikki and her adventures and endurance of not giving up to find her dog. The author describes the bayou in detail.
Sheila
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nikki is an engaging character, who has moved once again. She is determined not to make any new friends because her family would just pull up their houseboat and move again. But she does make new friends and solve the mystery of the howling that comes from Ghost Dog Island.
She is one brave girl.
George Monette
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a wonderful book, I could not stop reading it. I think all adults as well as kids would like this book. Never a dull moment throughout, it always kept you on your toes.
JoAnne Keltner
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book was written for middle-grade readers, I found myself caught up in the mystery and spooked by many of its intriguing scenes. The story is well plotted, and I couldn’t guess what was going to happen, so it had me hooked to the very end. It takes place in 1956 in a bayou of Louisiana, and the author presents the setting and people authentically, which makes the story even more interesting. The beginning of the book lists the Cajun French words and phrases that are used in the ...more
Jen
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** I received a copy of this book for free through a Goodreads giveaway. **

Cute mystery story perfect for middle readers. Just enough (minor) scares and twists to make this an enjoyable and fun read. This is the type of book I would have loved to have found when I was in elementary school and I would definitely recommend it to anyone with children who love mysteries and/or dogs.
Lavina
Loved the book. Couldn't put it down. I bought it for my 10 yr. old son and I (54) read it before he did. Wonderful book for children/ young adults/ adults. It made very vivid images of swamps and an old houseboat,a beagle dog and a little girl who's trying to fit in. And the MYSTERY............
4Mahone Kindle Paperwhites
Feb 24, 2017
Daegan
Apr 21, 2016
Rita Monette
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Charles Suddeth
Jan 20, 2013
  • The Bravest Squirrel: 3 Books in 1 (The Bravest Squirrel)
  • The Demonic Incident in Chinatown (Skycastle #2)
  • George Knows
  • The Ifs
  • A Different Kind of Safari
  • Isabella Babysits Baxter
  • Santa's Birthday Gift
  • Good-Bye, Baby Max
  • Finding Fuzzy: a You-Decide Tale of a Lost Friend
  • Frizzy, the S.A.D. Elf (Santa's Izzy Elves, #4)
  • The Secret Sisters Club (Ginnie West Adventures, #1)
  • Dewi and the Seeds of Doom
  • Kibble Talk (Kibble Talk #1)
  • The Tail of a Boy Named Harvey
  • More Than Magic (Books of the Kindling, #1)
  • The Disappearance of Lady Edith (The Undaunted Debutantes, #1)
  • The Christmas Owl
  • Call to Engage (Team Poseidon #2)
Born and raised in the bayous of Louisiana, Rita loves to write mysterious tales from the swamps of her home state. The Nikki Landry Swamp Legend series is set in the 1950s.

Nikki Landry Swamp Legends (3 books)
  • The Secret in Mossy Swamp (Nikki Landry Swamp Legend Series, #3)
  • The Curse at Pirate's Cove (Nikki Landry Swamp Legends, #2)