Start by marking “Incubation (Green Fields #1)” as Want to Read:
Incubation (Green Fields #1)

Incubation

(Green Fields #1)

If the zombie apocalypse happens tomorrow—how would you spend your last day?

All Dr. Brianna Lewis wants is a cup of coffee.
Coffee, to make slaving away in her cell culture lab at Green Fields Biotech a little more bearable on a Friday afternoon when everyone is home already.
What she doesn’t count on is a group of terrorists blowing up all the entrances to the building
Published August 25th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Incubation, please sign up.
April There is way more to this scenario that just that Bree cheated with Nate on her girlfriend, Sam. Sam apparently had been cheating on Bree for several …moreThere is way more to this scenario that just that Bree cheated with Nate on her girlfriend, Sam. Sam apparently had been cheating on Bree for several years, and they were more roommates and friends than in a real committed relationship. Both probably were ready to break off the relationship, but due to convenience didn't. Had the apocalypse not come, I am pretty sure that Bree's nuclear attraction to Nate would be enough for her to do the right thing and finally end her relationship with Sam. This of course is addressed, I believe, in more detail in Book 5. Try not to make snap judgment by just what looks obvious on the outside. One of Adrienne's many talents is showing us that there is way more going on that we ever really realize. She is a brilliant author!(less)

Start your review of Incubation (Green Fields #1)
Ian
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
When a group of terrorists storm the Nakatomi Tower, John McClane (played by Molly Ringwald) somehow manages to evade capture. She does all the usual stuff, crawls through air conditioning ducts, hides behind a desk while an angry terrorist shoots her machine gun....just the usual stuff you do when your building is taken over by terrorists.

description

But alas she gets caught and finds herself in a glass prison cube thing with her boss who also happens to be a murdering bastard. What should John McClane do
Bill Davis
Sep 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
2nd worst zombie apocalypse story ever. Too much talk. Not enough action.
Christopher Artinian
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book, with multi-dimensional characters that were both authentic and interesting. The action flowed beautifully. The story was intelligent, and the world surrounding it was masterfully constructed. I picked this up, not knowing what to expect and I'm so glad I did. Adrienne Lecter is a wonderful writer. I can't wait to read more.
TP
I really wanted this book to work.
It just didn’t. So much irrational behaviour and endless inner monologues.

The ideas and the plot aren’t bad at all. They were very interesting.

But right from the start it was a disaster.
The main female character works in a lab of a biotech company. And while it gets bombed she runs around like a female Bruce Willis in Die hard to evade the terrorists which are trying to secure the building.
This in itself sounds pretty bad ass and interesting, if it weren’t for h
Shayla
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not one for post-apocalyptic zombie stories, but DAMN if I'm not ADDICTED now!!! The way Adrienne captures you in the moment and leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat, is something not a lot of authors can do. I was so drawn into the story, I couldn't put it down. The first 2 chapters alone, I was like "Woah, WTF?!" She just takes you to this whole new level!!

I for one can't get enough of Bree!! She one strong, stubborn, takes no s*** kinda woman!! Nate is this overbearing, egotistical
Jane Cullen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I never believed that I would enjoy post-apocalyptic stories that involve biotech, mystery, strong characters and zombies, but I really became addicted to the story. It's so well-written and engaging as you can't really tell where the story will take the characters and what's going to happen next. I enjoyed its fast pace, the character development even if I believe it's still in its beginning, the witty banter between the characters and surprise surprise the killing of zombies as well!

I'm hooked
Kj Caston
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book lol...it was very hard to get through. It was overly detailed and long winded. I have to be hit right away in a book to keep going and this one did not get me. HOWEVER, for the first time EVER, I kept reading it slowly. I am SO glad I didn't give up. By the end of this book I was hooked and needed more. This series is by far an amazing one! Don't give up getting thro this one...it gets better!!!!
Tracy
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC 1st volume! l = 0 p
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This is more along the lines of what I was wanting and that I haven't been getting from other free zombie apocalypse books I'd downloaded. And while this book was mostly set up for the ZA, it was still a lot of fun to read. It wasn't perfect by any means, but definitely entertaining, with a likable, but flawed (female!) protagonist that I couldn't help rooting for.

I definitely will be reading the next in the series.
Kate Mary
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Started off enjoyable but lost me with trying to make Nate - a straight-up sociopath - the romantic lead. I just don't see a way to redeem a guy who (view spoiler). Seriously, that is serial killer stuff. Too creepy for me.

Having said that, the writing was good despite a few editing issues, and the story good/original in spite of the fact that it was overly wordy at times. I don't think the prologue was at all necessary and actually felt it ruined
Elena
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thanks-lauren, dnf
I cannot listen to this any longer. DNF'd on chapter 11. I don't know if it's because this is my first audible book but I didn't enjoy this in the slightest. And I've learned that I am most definitely not an audio book person.
Shellie Brewer
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
A total new way to start a zombie book and really liked it.
April
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm really glad I came across this book. Although the timing is a bit creepy, seeing as I'm home sick in bed...
Donna
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had tried to read this before a couple years ago but this time I made it. It captivated me to the end. I am starting on Outbreak.

This is about a woman who works for a company who has hot labs with deadly viruses in them. They try to make vaccines to counter them, among other things.

The common word for a person who is no longer a person but craves flesh is not mentioned until the end.
Good reading!
Vilma
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect with this one since it was free on Amazon and you know that's a hit or miss in regards to quality but this book took me by surprise and exceeded all of my expectations. It had me hooked from the first word to the very last. I read all 4 books in this series in 3 days!!! The story line has so many twists to keep you engaged and on the edge of your seat.

Bree is a virologist working at a lab with very little purpose to her life; when the lab she is working for is infil
Stacy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the book, but it has the feel of a prequel to the real story instead of reading as a standalone book. A long and detailed prequel, to be sure, but still a prequel.

Even with the book following the current trend of one book setting up the next in the series, I still enjoyed it. If it hadn't been for the sheer number of 'oops - had I known the whole story I would have acted differently' situations the characters found themselves in, I would have enjoyed it more. Certain details had to be le
Mortimer Snerd
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A good try

I like the female perspective; the newfound tough girl/smart girl/bi-girl angle is a good start. Maybe it's the Canadian vernacular I don't like. What's with so many writers using "huffed", which should be either a positive expression or a dog comment, not a person responding like a dog or grumpily. Side characters are decent. Thecla? Really? Very distracting and odd name.

The plot is even pretty good. I guess it's just clunky writing with too much boring calculus and introspection.

I do
April Smith
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting way to start a ZA book. To be fair the following books in this series are better than the first imo. It is a great book alone, but more than anything it gives meat to the rest of the series. I love how plausible the story line actually is. Nothing is filler. It does go into a lot of scientific detail. I have no idea how accurate it is but I found it interesting... I could see how some people might get bored with it. This only really is in the first book.
Amanda
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great start to a great series! I thoroughly enjoyed the drama of the book, and it set up some things that I did not expect to happen. I also enjoyed the evolution of the main character both in this book and in the books to follow. She is not who you would typically expect to be the main person in a zombie thriller & I like that. ...more
Impy
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Team zombie

I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, I found it well written and thought it developed into an interesting story. I really want to keep reading and learn what happens next. On the other hand, I highly dislike the main characters and hope they die in book 2.
Misty
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Very interesting book lots of twists and turns. I would recommend reading this. I need to read the second book to explain what happened while in the buie
Rachael Ashak-Benson
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Never Wanted Series To End! Gripping, Cringe -Worthy Uniqueness

Just completed the entire series - FANTASTIC!!!
Only the most masterful of wordsmiths can pull off crafting such an extremely long series of books and keep the story fresh, exciting, non-repetitive, gripping, while also continually adding new elements which keep you guessing right along with the characters. And thus it left me fully and completely engaged in the tale from page one to the last. While still wanting more!
The character
Rebecca
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, zombies
There were enough twists here to keep it from being a straight run-of-the-mill zombie apocalypse starter, especially since we did really see either the zombies or the apocalypse until late in the book. I could guess what was going to happen just because I had the advantage of the book title, the fact that it was #1 in the series, and I was aware of how narrative structure works. If you were just running around in the book, though, like poor Bree, you’d know that something was seriously wrong, bu ...more
D.C.P. C. Fox
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
What can I say about a book I took a day less than 6 months to read? This was my ebook that I read when I didn't have my physical book(s) with me. Maybe it was the fact that I read it in dribs and drabs so that I couldn't get into it, except near the end. Plus the beginning was so good, I felt the ending wouldn't disappoint. And it didn't, the ending was great. It was just the middle was a little slow.

This book is what I'd call pre-apocalyptic--it tells the story of how we got to the zombie apoc
Jude Samson
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Funny that I decided to give this one a try and it’s based on a coronavirus. Still, basic elements are filled with errors. There are so many plot holes that the author just touches on and then drops. Also, I can’t decide if the author is implying that bisexuals are cheaters because they want it from whomever or if the character is just a horny one that is built up to be high in morals despite the repeated indications that she’s a big fat cheater who has given her girlfriend almost zero thought. ...more
Jonathan
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A zombie adventure with almost no zombies!

Most of us, including the characters in this novel, have seen a movie like Die Hard where a hero overcomes unbelievable odds to save the world from terrorists. Replace the main character with a mildly out of shape scientist and that's how Incubation starts. You follow the heroine as she grows into someone who is capable of surviving a zombie outbreak.

This book is essentially a flashback to lay the groundwork for the Green Fields series. Up until the very
Beth
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book dragged in some parts and barely scraped the surface of interesting on other parts. There was some surprise in there, but still very meh. I know it’s an introduction of a series though and that point is prominent throughout this book. I almost wish the prologue was longer so I’d be more interested in the backstory of the main characters. The book would have been better if it had went at a bit more rapid pace but I can appreciate the author wanting you to invest in her series. I did get ...more
Emmie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalypse
Lately I'm on an apocalypse binge. I have been reading this series back to back.

Sometimes I shake my head, as some things are very improbable, but as it is the apocalypse, why not? Things can be a bit upside down and weird. Science has flown out of the window after all.

I have to say, when I decided to settle down and just take things as they come, I enjoyed the books very much. It is a different take, sometimes more edgy, other times lighter. Well blended action and human interest to keep the re
David Breeden
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

This one I couldn’t put down, and I usually read 2 or 3 at a time. The suspense kept me reading, the details kept me thinking, and the action made me feel the pain. It was a great beginning to the end (of the world that is). Now I know who the toughest one is, and will continue to follow, even if it kills me (or eats me). Follow the path down a twisted stairway into a place no one should go. Be strong, find others who are strong, and rid yourself of the doubters.
Joy
Amazing!

My best zombie read since Married with Zombies (Living with the Dead series) by Jesse Petersen.

Well written with an intriguing story plot and instantly likable characters.

In a literal race against a ticking time bomb. Nate, ex Army Ranger "enlists" the help of virologist, Dr. Brianna Lewis (Bree) to help destroy the company she works for. Which unbeknownst to her, is also the company who is secretly testing a deadly virus. A virus that turns the test subjects into....... you guessed it,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• World Departed (Cascadia #1)
  • Broken World (Broken World, #1)
  • The End of Everything (The End of Everything #1)
  • Shattered World (Broken World, #2)
  • The Purge of Babylon (Purge of Babylon, #1)
  • Until the End of the World (Until the End of the World, #1)
  • Prepared (Sundown #1)
  • Extinction Inferno (Extinction Cycle: Dark Age #2)
  • All the Stars in the Sky (Until the End of the World, #3)
  • Survive (Sundown #2)
  • And After (Until the End of the World, #2)
  • Rise Of The Rams (Safe Haven, #1)
  • Unleashed (V Plague #1)
  • Extinction Ashes (Extinction Cycle: Dark Age #3)
  • 100 Days in Deadland (Deadland Saga, #1)
  • My Dead World
  • Realm of the Raiders (Safe Haven, #2)
  • Dead Haven (Jack Zombie #1)

Green Fields (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Outbreak (Green Fields #2)
  • Escalation (Green Fields #3)
  • Extinction (Green Fields #4)
  • Resurgence (Green Fields #5)
  • Unity (Green Fields #6)
  • Affliction (Green Fields #7)
  • Catharsis (Green Fields #8)
  • Exodus (Green Fields #9)
  • Uprising (Green Fields #10)
  • Retribution (Green Fields #11)

News & Interviews

“Some twisted, dark, deeply buried part of me welcomed him, stretched out her claws and found like where only difference should have been.” 0 likes