Start by marking “Incubation (Green Fields #1)” as Want to Read:
Incubation (Green Fields #1)

Incubation

(Green Fields #1)

If the zombie apocalypse happens tomorrow—how would you spend your last day?

All Dr. Brianna Lewis wants is a cup of coffee.
Coffee, to make slaving away in her cell culture lab at Green Fields Biotech a little more bearable on a Friday afternoon when everyone is home already.
What she doesn’t count on is a group of terrorists blowing up all the entrances to the building a
Published August 25th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Incubation, please sign up.
April There is way more to this scenario that just that Bree cheated with Nate on her girlfriend, Sam. Sam apparently had been cheating on Bree for several…moreThere is way more to this scenario that just that Bree cheated with Nate on her girlfriend, Sam. Sam apparently had been cheating on Bree for several years, and they were more roommates and friends than in a real committed relationship. Both probably were ready to break off the relationship, but due to convenience didn't. Had the apocalypse not come, I am pretty sure that Bree's nuclear attraction to Nate would be enough for her to do the right thing and finally end her relationship with Sam. This of course is addressed, I believe, in more detail in Book 5. Try not to make snap judgment by just what looks obvious on the outside. One of Adrienne's many talents is showing us that there is way more going on that we ever really realize. She is a brilliant author!(less)

Ian
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
When a group of terrorists storm the Nakatomi Tower, John McClane (played by Molly Ringwald) somehow manages to evade capture. She does all the usual stuff, crawls through air conditioning ducts, hides behind a desk while an angry terrorist shoots her machine gun....just the usual stuff you do when your building is taken over by terrorists.

description

But alas she gets caught and finds herself in a glass prison cube thing with her boss who also happens to be a murdering bastard. What should John McClane do
Bill Davis
Sep 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
2nd worst zombie apocalypse story ever. Too much talk. Not enough action.
Kj Caston
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book lol...it was very hard to get through. It was overly detailed and long winded. I have to be hit right away in a book to keep going and this one did not get me. HOWEVER, for the first time EVER, I kept reading it slowly. I am SO glad I didn't give up. By the end of this book I was hooked and needed more. This series is by far an amazing one! Don't give up getting thro this one...it gets better!!!!
Shayla
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not one for post-apocalyptic zombie stories, but DAMN if I'm not ADDICTED now!!! The way Adrienne captures you in the moment and leaves you sitting on the edge of your seat, is something not a lot of authors can do. I was so drawn into the story, I couldn't put it down. The first 2 chapters alone, I was like "Woah, WTF?!" She just takes you to this whole new level!!

I for one can't get enough of Bree!! She one strong, stubborn, takes no s*** kinda woman!! Nate is this overbearing, egotistical
Jane Cullen
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I never believed that I would enjoy post-apocalyptic stories that involve biotech, mystery, strong characters and zombies, but I really became addicted to the story. It's so well-written and engaging as you can't really tell where the story will take the characters and what's going to happen next. I enjoyed its fast pace, the character development even if I believe it's still in its beginning, the witty banter between the characters and surprise surprise the killing of zombies as well!

I'm hooked
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This is more along the lines of what I was wanting and that I haven't been getting from other free zombie apocalypse books I'd downloaded. And while this book was mostly set up for the ZA, it was still a lot of fun to read. It wasn't perfect by any means, but definitely entertaining, with a likable, but flawed (female!) protagonist that I couldn't help rooting for.

I definitely will be reading the next in the series.
Christopher Artinian
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book, with multi-dimensional characters that were both authentic and interesting. The action flowed beautifully. The story was intelligent, and the world surrounding it was masterfully constructed. I picked this up, not knowing what to expect and I'm so glad I did. Adrienne Lecter is a wonderful writer. I can't wait to read more.
Mae
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infected-zombies
Wow! La perfecta introducción a un apocalipsis zombie. Tuvo un ritmo excelente, no fue ni rápido ni lento, y dio una cantidad justa de información científica sin ser abrumadora, la dosis suficiente de sangre, acción, calma, táctica y romance. No puedo esperar a leer los siguientes!
April
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm really glad I came across this book. Although the timing is a bit creepy, seeing as I'm home sick in bed...
Shellie Brewer
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
A total new way to start a zombie book and really liked it.
Elena
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thanks-lauren, dnf
I cannot listen to this any longer. DNF'd on chapter 11. I don't know if it's because this is my first audible book but I didn't enjoy this in the slightest. And I've learned that I am most definitely not an audio book person.
Vilma
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect with this one since it was free on Amazon and you know that's a hit or miss in regards to quality but this book took me by surprise and exceeded all of my expectations. It had me hooked from the first word to the very last. I read all 4 books in this series in 3 days!!! The story line has so many twists to keep you engaged and on the edge of your seat.

Bree is a virologist working at a lab with very little purpose to her life; when the lab she is working for is infil
Stacy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the book, but it has the feel of a prequel to the real story instead of reading as a standalone book. A long and detailed prequel, to be sure, but still a prequel.

Even with the book following the current trend of one book setting up the next in the series, I still enjoyed it. If it hadn't been for the sheer number of 'oops - had I known the whole story I would have acted differently' situations the characters found themselves in, I would have enjoyed it more. Certain details had to be le
Kate Mary
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Started off enjoyable but lost me with trying to make Nate - a straight-up sociopath - the romantic lead. I just don't see a way to redeem a guy who (view spoiler). Seriously, that is serial killer stuff. Too creepy for me.

Having said that, the writing was good despite a few editing issues, and the story good/original in spite of the fact that it was overly wordy at times. I don't think the prologue was at all necessary and actually felt it ruined
April Smith
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an interesting way to start a ZA book. To be fair the following books in this series are better than the first imo. It is a great book alone, but more than anything it gives meat to the rest of the series. I love how plausible the story line actually is. Nothing is filler. It does go into a lot of scientific detail. I have no idea how accurate it is but I found it interesting... I could see how some people might get bored with it. This only really is in the first book.
Amanda
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great start to a great series! I thoroughly enjoyed the drama of the book, and it set up some things that I did not expect to happen. I also enjoyed the evolution of the main character both in this book and in the books to follow. She is not who you would typically expect to be the main person in a zombie thriller & I like that.
Impy
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Team zombie

I have mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, I found it well written and thought it developed into an interesting story. I really want to keep reading and learn what happens next. On the other hand, I highly dislike the main characters and hope they die in book 2.
TP
I really wanted this book to work.
It just didn’t. So much irrational behaviour and endless inner monologues.

The ideas and the plot aren’t bad at all. They were very interesting.

But right from the start it was a disaster.
The main female character works in a lab of a biotech company. And while it gets bombed she runs around like a female Bruce Willis in Die hard to evade the terrorists which are trying to secure the building.
This in itself sounds pretty bad ass and interesting, if it weren’t for h
Rebecca
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, zombies
There were enough twists here to keep it from being a straight run-of-the-mill zombie apocalypse starter, especially since we did really see either the zombies or the apocalypse until late in the book. I could guess what was going to happen just because I had the advantage of the book title, the fact that it was #1 in the series, and I was aware of how narrative structure works. If you were just running around in the book, though, like poor Bree, you’d know that something was seriously wrong, bu ...more
Daniel C. Fox
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
What can I say about a book I took a day less than 6 months to read? This was my ebook that I read when I didn't have my physical book(s) with me. Maybe it was the fact that I read it in dribs and drabs so that I couldn't get into it, except near the end. Plus the beginning was so good, I felt the ending wouldn't disappoint. And it didn't, the ending was great. It was just the middle was a little slow.

This book is what I'd call pre-apocalyptic--it tells the story of how we got to the zombie apoc
Jonathan
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A zombie adventure with almost no zombies!

Most of us, including the characters in this novel, have seen a movie like Die Hard where a hero overcomes unbelievable odds to save the world from terrorists. Replace the main character with a mildly out of shape scientist and that's how Incubation starts. You follow the heroine as she grows into someone who is capable of surviving a zombie outbreak.

This book is essentially a flashback to lay the groundwork for the Green Fields series. Up until the very
Beth
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book dragged in some parts and barely scraped the surface of interesting on other parts. There was some surprise in there, but still very meh. I know it’s an introduction of a series though and that point is prominent throughout this book. I almost wish the prologue was longer so I’d be more interested in the backstory of the main characters. The book would have been better if it had went at a bit more rapid pace but I can appreciate the author wanting you to invest in her series. I did get ...more
Emmie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: apocalypse
Lately I'm on an apocalypse binge. I have been reading this series back to back.

Sometimes I shake my head, as some things are very improbable, but as it is the apocalypse, why not? Things can be a bit upside down and weird. Science has flown out of the window after all.

I have to say, when I decided to settle down and just take things as they come, I enjoyed the books very much. It is a different take, sometimes more edgy, other times lighter. Well blended action and human interest to keep the re
John Herrmann
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A good try

I like the female perspective; the newfound tough girl/smart girl/bi-girl angle is a good start. Maybe it's the Canadian vernacular I don't like. What's with so many writers using "huffed", which should be either a positive expression or a dog comment, not a person responding like a dog or grumpily. Side characters are decent. Thecla? Really? Very distracting and odd name.

The plot is even pretty good. I guess it's just clunky writing with too much boring calculus and introspection.

I do
Patricia Tomoney
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's good.....

I really liked it. I truly did but there was so much technical, science stuff that me, the average person, did not get. It went over my head. (It does not help that I do not like science that much) t also jumped around a lot where I had to go back to figure what was happening at the moment. But underneath the science, I was able to get a gist of it and I was glad I stuck with it. I'm definitely going to give the second one a chance. (Those I read who do not like the cursing though,
Jamie Mcclimon
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

I had never even heard of Adrienne Lecter before reading this. I just took a chance on it. I AM SO GLAD I DID! She really fleshes out the characters so you get a feel for who they truly are. The story line was great and honestly believable. I super loved the fact that the main gal in the story was not some Ramboette saving the day. She was believable, understandable, and is how I imagine I might be, given the circumstances. All in all, I really recommend this to anyone and everyone tha
Andrew
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
This book doesn’t quite hit the mark. Hopefully it will be prep work for the balance of the series. There is detail upon detail that brings you down roads that I don’t think work as well as a book that was more concise. The ending leaves me hanging. I suppose I should read as a prequel. Like Star Wars: The Phantom Menace. Didn’t work as a stand-alone but sets up everything else. An aside: backstory isn’t necessary character development. I will read #2 in order to put #1 in perspective. Tighten t ...more
Jennifer Hyland
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Didn't think I would want to read about yet another zombie apocalypse....

But here i am , ready to start the next book in the series.

My love for survival stories combined with my love of very long stories led me to this one. And I'm glad I found it. I love the two main characters and can't wait to see what they do next.

The best thing about these two, Bree and Nate, is that they are flawed. They are very human. It makes them very easy to relate to.

This is an author I will definitely be following.
C.L.
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent zombified tension-builder

As a first book in a series, Incubation was a decent read with a lot of familiar tropes: Virus is unleashed, people get the "flu", there is a zombie apocalypse. The author gets right to that point up front. That the author has intimate knowledge of biochemistry adds a twist to a main character and makes that character highly believable. It was a fun read even though I don't anticipate continuing the series. Great for fans of zombie thrillers, though.
Carla
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had my doubts about this story. Once I started it, I got the same feeling that I got when I started The Martian--too much science mumbo jumbo for this girl. But unlike The Martian, I kept reading, and reading, and reading. Then five hours later, I was downloading the next book.
There are several things I had issue with, ones that weren't sufficiently fleshed out in my opinion. But now that I've started the second book, and at least one of them has been somewhat answered, I'm feeling better abo
  • And After (Until the End of the World, #2)
  • The Turn
  • As They Rise (Eva #1)
  • The Complex (The Reanimates, #1)
  • The Ghoul Archipelago
  • Vampyrrhic Rites
  • Run (NOLA Zombie, #1)
  • Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds
  • This Would Be Paradise (This Would Be Paradise, #1)
  • Odium (The Dead Saga, #1)
  • Shattered World (Broken World, #2)
  • The McClane Apocalypse: Book 2
  • The Fields of Lemuria: Keo, Part II (Purge of Babylon, #3.2)
  • Hair of the Bitch
  • Children of Chaos
  • Fear the Dead 1
  • The Complex
  • Extinction Edge (The Extinction Cycle, #2)

Green Fields (9 books)
  • Outbreak (Green Fields #2)
  • Escalation (Green Fields #3)
  • Extinction (Green Fields #4)
  • Resurgence (Green Fields #5)
  • Unity (Green Fields #6)
  • Affliction (Green Fields #7)
  • Catharsis (Green Fields #8)
  • Exodus (Green Fields #9)
“Some twisted, dark, deeply buried part of me welcomed him, stretched out her claws and found like where only difference should have been.” 0 likes