Start by marking “Divided (Open Heart #1)” as Want to Read:
Divided (Open Heart #1)

Divided (Open Heart #1)

A new heart should mean new life, instead it’s a living nightmare.

Mishca Richardson’s life is at an all-time high after her heart transplant. With new boyfriend, Ryder, she has the perfect summer romance. Even the nightmares plaguing her sleep since her operation can’t dull her new dream world.

Yet life starts to unravel when Mishca develops superhuman abilities. She does
Paperback, Second Edition, 249 pages
Published November 24th 2015 by City Owl Press

To ask other readers questions about Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divided

Wendy Higgins
Ooh, I love the new cover!
I've read several versions over the past two years since I met Sharon on inkpop, and I enjoyed all of them. I'm so thrilled this is getting published because it's a fun, super cool concept!!
Lillian ᴥᴥᴥ SO LYLY
***** 4 Stars *****

After Mishca got a heart transplant, her life changed. At first things were positive. She tried to live a normal life with a good boyfriend, but as soon as she entered uni, things changed. She felt an unexplainable connection with one of her professors.

On top of her feelings, she got superhuman strength and speed. There's so many questions! I thought the beginning of the story was a bit slow, but it really picks up. This wasn't what I was expecting, and I have a feeling book
Cassandra Page
Edited after rereading the new edition (mostly 'cause the name of the book changed)...

Divided sits somewhere between YA and NA; the main character, Mischa, is eighteen and about to start university, but the themes sit closer to the more-typical YA fare of self-discovery. And while there’s a lot of kissing there’s no graphic detail in here that might make some teens (or parents of teens) uncomfortable. There's also no swearing.

After her heart transplant, Mischa finds that she’s traded being a “
J.N.
Apr 22, 2013 J.N. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been really excited for this book all year. I'm not typically a Science Fiction fan, but this is probably one of my new favorites. It's really part Sci-Fi, part romance.

The main character, Mischa, was easily likable. It was easy to feel for her from the beginning, especially when it came to her heart. The book is set in Australia, which I loved reading about since I live in the US and have never ventured out there. I liked the entire set-up of Mischa's family--she's adopted and from a diffe
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
This book was great read. Mishca is a sweet character. She has things that happen to her with her new heart. Instead of enjoying having a new chance at a new life she is having a nightmare of a life. A must read if you love a romance, mystery, and a badass character.
Chelcie-Joy
Dec 17, 2015 Chelcie-Joy rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book! I was basically hooked after the first sentence. The author has a way of bringing you into the story. I felt like I was standing right next to Mischa the entire book.

Mischa has a heart condition and gets a transplant at the beginning of the book. Once she has healed, she gets to experience life and love for the first time. But slowly Mischa begins to realize that her new heart came with something more,
Heather Bryant
Nov 12, 2013 Heather Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a seriously great read. Mishca is the type of character you want to be friends with and Sharon has a whole host of supporting characters that really come alive. A must read if you love a cocktail of romance, mystery, and all-kinds of badass-ery.
Carrie Mcrae
I'm so excited for this it's ridiculous!!
Melissa Souza
May 05, 2016 Melissa Souza rated it really liked it
*** Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC in return for an honest review! ***

I really liked the concept behind this novel. The story starts off with Mischa, a nineteen year old girl, who has a congenital heart defect. She undergoes a heart transplant but discovers she's suffering from some strange side affects which are more like special abilities and terrifying nightmares. The plot then follows her journey as to how she deals with these changes and other revelations in her life.

The
Eclipse Reviews
Nov 26, 2013 Eclipse Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing Twist In this Plot

Mishca Richardson have been walking on egg shells all her life. With a defective heart, she prays for a miracle and try to brave her world. When that miracle finally comes, a new life with new trails comes with it.

She meets Ryder who catches her attention immediately. Soon she falls head over heels for him, and life is good. Really good. Well except for a few little problems, like super human abilities that sort of make her life a little more epic. Every night since
Marty Mayberry
Dec 14, 2013 Marty Mayberry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read!

The main character, Mishca, is a strong, sympathetic young woman. She’s determined to discover the truth about her background, all while figuring out what she wants to do in life, surviving open heart surgery, and dealing with a battle for her heart from two love interests: the sweet and sexy Ryder, and the sophisticated, much older Colin. But this isn’t your simple love triangle story. Sharon has woven in an intricate and suspenseful sci-fi plot that keeps you flipping the page
Georgia (A Midnight Reader)

Thankyou to City Owl Press for sending me a copy of Divded through Netgalley.

"Sometimes life is stranger than fiction."

- page 132

After just recently getting a heart transplant, Mishca is expecting to feel energised, healthier and like she is finally going to have the normal life she wanted. Unfortunately, she gets a lot more than she bargained for. She develops supernatural abilities and a plague of nightmares that begin to haunt her sleep. Mishca also develops new romances
Sandy Emerson
Rating 3.5 stars but rounded up. :)

‘Sleeper’ was a unique, somewhat compelling book for me, even if it did have elements that I wasn’t fond of, but more about that later.

The first thing that I have to mention is the setting. It’s based in Australia, which is quite a quirky surprise when a reader such as me is used to American or English settings. I loved the fact that the book was set in a country so close to my own. The city names were as familiar to me as the ones in my own country are. It gav
Stephanie
Dec 30, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Samantha
Sep 12, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing

There were so many things I loved about this book!

Mischa feels disconnected from her peers. Not only does her skin color not match that of her adopted parents, she's also been saddled with a hole in her heart that keeps her from getting to do anything remotely fun.

After she undergoes a heart transplant, she thinks her troubles are over. If her body doesn't reject the new heart, she has a chance at an actual
Erika Winterlia
Sep 03, 2015 Erika Winterlia rated it it was amazing
Divided is a unique and very interesting story about a young woman, Mishca, who struggles with finding who she is after a heart transplant. The story hooks you from the first sentence and never really lets you go.

The author writes so well and makes Mishca’s feelings pop off the page, and it lets the reader feel her struggles with accepting that her life meant someone else had to die. It all seems so real and every page you want to reach into the book and give Mishca a comforting hug. The charact
Amy's Review Obsession
Oct 14, 2015 Amy's Review Obsession rated it it was amazing
AUTHOR PROVIDED E-BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

Actual Rating: 4.5

I am finally in Australia! Yes! I have been all over the world while I have never been to Australia. I have been to England with The Sweet Trilogy, I have been all over North America with a lot of book series, I have even traveled to the future. But let's focus on the now of Australia and the love of imagining their Aussie accents. Is it true you guys probably have some of the most attractive guys there?

Mischa has never
Lucy
Jan 08, 2016 Lucy rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5 stars
Mischa's life was put on hold because of her heart defect and although her new heart has given her things she didn't have before, it has its fair share of problems as well...

First of all, great cover!
Second of all, I love when books have a main character who isn't white. Because that doesn't really happen a lot, this is worthy of a mention. The alienation she feels with parents of a different skin color feels real. Besides her skin color, Mischa is very likable herself and you
Nicola Dorrington
Jun 09, 2013 Nicola Dorrington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-adult
I don't often review books but this one deserves one

A great book with all right elements. Enough mystery and questions to keep me reading, and just the right amount of action vs romance!

I'm not a fan of insta-love but when you keep reading and find out the reason it all makes perfect sense so other readers shouldn't let that put them off.

Mishca and Ryder are both excellent main characters, and I particularly love all his little quirks - particularly the grammar thing! Loved that! As for Mishca,
Nikola Vukoja
Feb 24, 2014 Nikola Vukoja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the pleasure of reading Sleeper back in Dec-2013 as well as interviewing the author S.M. Johnston where she answered questions about the novel & her life in beautiful Queensland Australia.

On the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of Speculative Fiction with their YA/NA. The story-line is unique and intriguing and will keep you guessing the possible outcome.

I will not comment further for fear of giving away any plot twists, but if you w
P.D. Pabst
Sep 19, 2015 P.D. Pabst rated it it was amazing
Besides having an attention grabbing cover, the story of Mishca and Ryder sucked me in early. I found myself trying to decipher the nightmares to fix Mishca and make her quality of life better, especially with the hunky Ryder! And trust me, every time you think you know what's happening, even with her sudden and weird attraction toward Colin, another curveball is thrown at you. Let me also say, the mushy is not overdone for those who don't want straight up romance, but there's enough to keep lov ...more
Pete Aldin
Dec 14, 2013 Pete Aldin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have tried to read "YA" novels time and time again, only to put them aside 20-50 pages in because I'm basically bored.

This wasn't the case with Sleeper.

Though it's primarily a romance novel, there was enough intrigue and (towards the end) scifi to keep me interested all the way through what was a very quick and easy read. Ms Johnston's writing is energetic and pacy, with enough wryness to keep it sparkling.

An excellent first foray into novel writing, not just YA novel writing.
Crystal Collier
Mar 21, 2014 Crystal Collier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Wow. Just wow.

Such a great story. It's a slow burn. You think you've got it all figured out and then there's a right hook followed by a quick left and jab to the ribs.

There is some mature content as this is an NA title, but I feel it's appropriate for an upper YA audience.
Dee Price
After Mishca Richardson receives a heart transplant, she begins to have strange nightmares and she suddenly possesses suberhuman speed, strength and hearing abilities. As if that wasn't enough, Mishca also finds herself torn between her new boyfriend Ryder and her college professor Colin.

Mishca sets out to find her biological parents, believng they may be the key to solve the riddle of her newfound skills. But digging for the truth uncovers a lot more than Mishca bargained for and she quickly le
Linda
Sep 19, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story and the characters. The supernatural elements add an intriguing element to the story.

I really liked Mishca. She is a strong young woman dealing with a lot of issues. She handles it the best she can and tries hard to protect those she care about. The romance between her and Ryder is sweet and her feelings for Colin really confuse her.

I am looking forward to reading more books in the series.

I received a copy in return for a honest review.
Kelly
Dec 20, 2015 Kelly added it
I'm a sucker for a book set in Australia, and Johnston's DIVIDED didn't disappoint. There were enough surprises to keep me racing through it, the sci-fi aspects adding cool elements to an already strong plot, and the romance was spot on. Mischa and Ryder are two memorable characters. Looking forward to the next book in this series!
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.
Justin
Apr 17, 2016 Justin rated it it was amazing
Buckle up kids this one's got everything, Love, action, excitement, and surprises. I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Can't wait to see what happens next.
Diana Connors
Sep 21, 2015 Diana Connors rated it liked it
The voice felt a bit too young for a NA book. Other people might enjoy it, but it wasn't for me.
Debra Jones
Oct 04, 2016 Debra Jones rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book really makes you sit back and think! I loved reading this book from page one and until I reached the end. Mishca and Ryder and their friends try to find out Mishca's birth history and discover something mind-boggling!
This is a great book and I can't wait to read the next one!
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
« previous 1 3 next »
New Adult Book Club: #188/15 ~ Divided (Open Heart #1) by Sharon M. Johnston 21 37 Dec 30, 2015 09:52AM
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • The Twenty-One (Emerald Cove #2)
  • In Stone
  • Sacrifice (The Tate Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Losing It: A Collection of VCards
  • Mother of a King (KIYA Trilogy, #2)
  • Mind Bond (The Interspecies Telepaths #1)
  • Tur (The Elsker Saga, #0.5)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • The Last Stormdancer (The Lotus War, #0.6)
  • Isla's Inheritance (Isla's Inheritance, #1)
  • Cassandra (Delphic Women, #2)
  • Vision of Shadows (Vision, #1)
  • Stormcaller (Stormcaller Cycle, #1)
4019418
Sharon is a writer from Mackay in Queensland, Australia who has short stories published in anthologies and was also runner-up in the Australian Literary Review's Young Adult short story contest with KARMA.

Her NA novel DIVIDED was released by City Owl Press in winter 2015. The sequel SHATTERED is due out in Autumn 2016.

By day she is a public relations executive and by night she writes weird fictio
More about Sharon M. Johnston...