Start by marking “The Red Door” as Want to Read:
The Red Door

The Red Door

What would you do if you began to suspect one of your tenants could be the perpetrator
of a vicious double murder committed over thirty years ago?

It is 1983 and the grand old Victorian mansion ‘Rosalind’, nestled in the inner city village of Glebe, Sydney has been refurbished and converted by the new owner into four apartments, and a coach house in which she lives. Between
ebook, Second Edition October 2017
Published October 1st 2015 by MoshPit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Red Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Door

Start your review of The Red Door
Suzanne
What a refreshing road this book took me on! Debut author Rosa Fedele is not only just that but is what appears, to the most uncreative person in Australia, to be an extremely talented artist! She has treated us to a handful of her drawings throughout the book. These were fantastic additions and give the reader a sense of the foreboding, with serious drawings showing lots of emotion with what I thought to be really very spot on with the imagery of the era.

This story of intrigue leads us through
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Glad to have found another Aussie book by an Aussie author to add to the list! I have been extremely unpatriotic through my life and have avoided Australian books. Only recently am I beginning to hugely regret this, as I have found some incredible books. I have wasted a lot of my life not reading Aussie books!! I am really enjoying the Australian settings, especially my home city Sydney - so I was glad to review this book as it is set in Glebe.

The main character (who we don't know by name until
Christine
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: PM from author for read-for-review
I wish to thank Ms. Rosa Fedele for the kind gift of a copy of her debut novel in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

I went into this book cold, just recalling that the protagonist is the landlord of a beautifully renovated red-doored, four-flat mansion with a mysterious boarder. I thought I was starting a mystery, but the first many chapters consist of woven vignettes giving us a front row seat to the lives of numerous colorful characters living in Sydney, Australia in the mid 1980s. T
Brenda
Glebe in Sydney, 1983 and Madeleine was happy with the renovation work of the project she had taken on. “Rosalind” was a beautiful old residence, elegant and serene, but the work required was daunting. All the rooms were being spruced up – all that is, except Number Three. The tenant was determined to stay put even during the noisiest construction; he also didn’t want any work done in his flat. Madeleine was uneasy around him, but fortunately she didn’t see him very often…

Anne lived in the coach
Jennifer S. Alderson
The Red Door is a well-constructed series of complex mysteries set in Australia. I enjoyed the author's style, in particular her use of short fragments which slowly reveal more and more clues about the characters' dark pasts and their connections. Several characters have disturbing stories to tell; this is not a cozy mystery.
There are plenty of red herrings and I admit to not solving all of the mysteries before getting to the end!
I would recommend this book to murder mystery fans.
4.5 out of 5 s
Pat
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so not my kind of book. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started this, certainly not what I got! Yes it was quite slow at the start but my patience was rewarded. By the time I got to the point I would chuck it in (if I were going to chuck it in) I was so mesmerised by these quirky characters I just had to keep reading. I think my five stars is partly due to the fact that is really isn't my type of book and its so, so different that when I enjoy a book like this, I really, really ...more
Maree Repa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Murder in Glebe, Sydney Australia makes such a sinister murder mystery to enjoy. You will never want to stop reading. Who would you suspect to be the murderer of this most vicious double murder in 1950.

In 1983, when Rosalind House in Glebe was refurbished and turned into four individual apartments with its new owner Maddie. She became such close friends with Anne, who actually lived in a coach house next door. They spoke about all the tenants closely closer attention on Room no three. Closer
att
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘He’s watching me.’

Glebe, Sydney, 1983. ‘Rosalind’ is a beautiful old mansion, divided into apartments, gradually being restored by its new owner. The new owner, a woman whose name we don’t learn until near the end of the novel, is herself a bit of a mystery. One amongst many. Renovation of the mansion has challenges, some inexplicable occurrences, as well as a reclusive resident in Apartment 3.
And when the owner discovers that the man in Apartment 3 has the same surname as two teenage sisters b
Christina
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a refreshing glimpse of immigrant Sydney couched in a plot that unravels an old murder mystery rooted in culture clash and physical abuse, difficult subjects to tackle but handled with aplomb by the author. The book starts with a woman’s observations about a neighbor that turn into an obsession. She does some digging and reveals he was involved in a tragedy from the past, and a host of secrets surrounding it. The plot was initially hard to get into, namely because it took a while t ...more
Theresa Smith
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2018
The Red Door was an intriguing novel, a gothic mystery set in Sydney during the 1980s. I found myself gripped by this novel, utterly immersed into the world of ‘Rosalind’ and the people who lived in and around it.

There are a lot of things going on within this story and a lot of character perspectives to follow; you need to read closely and pay careful attention as the change in perspectives are not labelled and they occur frequently. There’s also a lot of ambiguity; a fair few people with secret
Babus Ahmed
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Glebe, Sydney, The Red Door is a book of intrigue as we follow the owner of mansion, Rosalind, which has been converted into flats. The resident in number three is mysterious and keeps to himself, rarely allowing anyone into the flat. However, on the lease paperwork the name is Billah, the same as the victims of a double murder thirty years ago. This leads to much speculation about the man in number three, which slowly does unravel as our protagonist and her friends delve into old newspap ...more
Thebooktrail
Booktrail the locations here: the Red door booktrail

Imagine this – a lovingly restored and renovated mansion spanning four floors and containing individual flats. The front door is red, red and mysterious and Maddie, the friendly artist in charge of it al knows most of the people who live within its walls. All apart from one man – pone reclusive man behind the door of number three.

This mansion contains many stories within its walls – what does on behind closed doors is the ultimate question and
marlin1
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Red Door is a difficult book to describe. It was an enjoyable and interesting read as it meandered amongst a small group of people living in and around the house 'Rosalind' in Glebe, a suburb of Sydney in the 1983.
This book describes it's self as a mystery and while the thread is interwoven though out the story line, it really only takes centre stage in the last third of the book. I found the book well paced but not sure at first what direction is was really headed in, although that didn't d
Angela Bedford
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was worried about being frightened. I was more intrigued, caught up in all the mystery. I certainly didn't expect to cry. I need to know the fate of Claudie and Elanora. Bring on the next book please.
Sue Watts
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas holidays, whilst sitting on a sun lounger by a pool, seemed the ideal opportunity to get ‘stuck into’ The Red Door. After a bit of a slow start, I hardly moved for 2 days in my quest to find out who committed the brutal murder of two teenage girls and why was the occupant of No 3 such a reclusive.

The Red Door by Rose Fedele requires both stamina and focus from its reader, as initially the plot and the characters are somewhat complex and confusing. However, something draws you in and th
Brian Wutz
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Several of the other reviewers have plot summaries so I will forgo the same.

Rosa's writing style, much like her art, will literally reach up off of the page and hold you in a warm embrace. Reading the work satisfied a longing I didn't even know was there - nostalgia for better writing craft.

I highly recommend readers in the states to try something new and give this book a shot. Stick with it, enjoy that it isn't American english, it pays off as you continue right to the end.

Fantastic writing. I
Simon
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the whole, I found this a really enjoyable story. The plot was complex and intriguing, and I found myself wanting to keep picking up the story. In the end I was creating time for myself to read it.

I enjoyed the style of writing too- Ms Fedele clearly has talent as an author. Her narrative was engaging and placed me in every scene.

I struggled a little with the many voices in the story though. It was occasionally hard to follow, but more importantly I found such short snippets a little irritati
Blythe
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall the book was really good. It started out a bit slow but once things started to unfold I couldn't put it down. I loved how crazy Monique was and the main character was very likeable.

It jumped around a bit and there were parts where I was confused and I would also question why some characters were necessary (i.e. Jo..).

For a first time author I was truly impressed and looking forward to another book from this author!
Gabrielle Ferguson
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written - it was a joy to imagine the gorgeous houses described so well.
Certainly kept me turning the pages - well imagined characters, with lives come to life on the page.

Something for everyone in this book, a bit of history, murder mystery, bedroom action and architecture!
Alyssa Janine Busia
Review to be posted soon! :)
Terry Tyler

Reviewed by me as part of Rosie Amber's Review Team

The main character in this dark mystery set in Australia is artist Maddie who has bought a mansion, 'Rosalind', letting out apartments to tenants. As she completes her renovations, she begins to have suspicions about the tenant in number three, who won't let her in. This is all linked to some local murders that occurred in the 1950s. There are unanswered questions surrounding Maddie herself, too.

The book is illustrated by Ms Fedele, and
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
How is the beautiful residence of Rosalind in Sydney connected to the unsolved murder of two teenage girls over twenty years prior? The Red Door, by debut Australian author Rosa Fedele, explores this murder mystery set in the 1980’s through her character Madeline, who becomes the new owner of the sprawling Rosalind residence. Since becoming owner of Rosalind, Madeline is determined to spruce the place up, embarking on a series of renovations on the ageing apartment. The refurbishment of Rosalind ...more
B.A. Spicer
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Red Door. The language is beautiful, especially in the first third of the book, which includes the kind of descriptive imagery that brings a setting alive – and the setting is unusual in that it centres around a period house in an Australian suburb of Sydney. Maddie buys ‘Rosalind’ as a renovation project and one by one we meet the people who either live nearby or come to work on the house. I found the observational style reminiscent of Henry James’ novels – fine detail and ...more
Verushka
Two things interested me about this book: that it was set in a Glebe, a corner of Sydney that I have loved forever and that this comes with illustrations, haunting ones in fact.

Madeline, the new owner of Rosalind, is settling in to her new life in Glebe. She’s developing friendships and meeting people, and she’s working on renovating Rosalind, save for apartment 3, which her tenant doesn’t want worked on.

As a result, Madeline is surrounded by a large cast of characters. The positives of this, is
Janet Nagly
The story parallels the renovations of a wonderful old Sydney house with the shifting relationships that surround it. The central character is a strong woman who seeks the truth and justice for two young migrant girls whose unsolved murder seems connected to the local community. The question is – will she solve the case that the police were unable to solve, without placing herself in mortal danger? And the icing on the cake? Rosa is an artist and has illustrated chapters with beautiful paintings ...more
Rose
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by this very unexpected mystery set in Sydney, I laughed with the colorful characters at first, then stopped laughing as the story gradually intensified, with the characters' problems touching on many uncomfortable social and cultural issues.

One character "Claudia" in particular interested me and I would like to know what happens to her next. It looks like there will be another in the series. I loved this book and am looking forward to the next. Highly recommended.
Linnéa Ryan
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Red Door abounds with mysteries. Every time a reader thinks one's been solved, another crops up to take its place. Full of death, stalking, lies, and abuse the novel sheds light on some of humanity's darkest desires. However, in everything there must be balance. Fedele infuses these dreary bouts with heart warming sentiments, great shows of resilience and strength, and touching bonds of friendship. A more in-depth review of The Red Door will be posted on February 21st at https://anewlookonbo ...more
Rose
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Sarah Chance
Nov 18, 2015
Amanda Jane
Oct 08, 2015

• Integrative Therapies for Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Myofascial Pain: The Mind-Body Connection
  • Almost Everything: Notes on Hope
  • Fed Up: Emotional Labor, Women, and the Way Forward
  • A Lonely Death (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #13)
  • The Nine Tailors (Lord Peter Wimsey, #11)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • Death by Water (Phryne Fisher, #15)
  • Queen of the Flowers (Phryne Fisher, #14)
  • Judgment at Proteus (Quadrail, #5)
  • The Confession (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #14)
  • Beat the Bank: The Canadian Guide to Simply Successful Investing
  • Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16)
  • Proof of Guilt (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #15)
  • A Stroke of Midnight (Merry Gentry, #4)
  • The Imam of Tawi-Tawi (Ava Lee, #10)
  • Umbrella Man
“For me, every painting and every book is a new adventure, started with a thrill of excitement and anticipation.”

Artist and author Rosa Fedele, daughter of Italian migrants to Australia, was forbidden from pursuing an artistic career. Finally able to follow her vocation in adulthood, she studied at the prestigious Julian Ashton Art School, Sydney.

Unconstrained by conventional expectations, her wor