Start by marking “The Princess and the Pony” as Want to Read:
The Princess and the Pony

The Princess and the Pony

Introducing Kate Beaton, a major new picture book talent, and author/illustrator of #1 New York Times bestseller Hark! A Vagrant!

Princess Pinecone knows exactly what she wants for her birthday this year. A BIG horse. A STRONG horse. A horse fit for a WARRIOR PRINCESS! But when the day arrives, she doesn't quite get the horse of her dreams...

From the artist behind the comic
Published 2015 by Walker Books

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and the Pony, please sign up.
Meg This story is enjoyable for adults and children. My two year old daughter loves it. There is some battling, but it's all in good fun (warriors treat i…moreThis story is enjoyable for adults and children. My two year old daughter loves it. There is some battling, but it's all in good fun (warriors treat it like a sport, not a bloodbath). (less)

Start your review of The Princess and the Pony
Maggie Stiefvater
Delightful and kind; sweet but unsentimental.
Carmen
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children; Parents
But you can't say no to a birthday present, so she took the little pony to her room, where it ate things it shouldn't have, and farted too much.

Okay.

So, a cutie little princess named Pinecone who is just very adorable, lives in a world full of warriors. She wants to be a fierce warrior, too! But she is just a little cuddle-muffin.

She asks for a strong war horse for her birthday, but instead she receives an obese little pony who is stupid. Needless to say she is not happy.

In the end, the warriors
Calista
Both kids loved this book. They thought it was funny. The niece gave it 4 stars and the nephew grew some independence and gave it 5 stars. Good for him.

Princess Pinecone is a warrior and she is tired of being cute. She wants to be taken seriously. For her birthday she asks for a war house and ends up with the fattest pony you ever saw. The hilarity starts from here. She goes to fight with the toughest warriors in the land. I love how she wins the tournament. The kids really did enjoy this little
Fiona
Don't laugh.

I was given this by my partner, because Kate Beaton is my hero, and because when he asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told him, "I want a pony." This is why I keep him around.

Princess Pinecone is a hero for the ages, and this is exactly the sort of book I will read to my long-hence-hypothetical children. Honestly, it's probably exactly the sort of book my parents would have gleefully read to me when I was small - whimsical, egalitarian, full of adventures, and containing a vali
MLE
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
That was cute, and funny.

The pony made me smile.

Demi
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is SO MUCH to like about Beaton's debut children's book! Yes, the pony farts--but farting is not the punchline, and neither is Princess Pinecone. Diverse cast of characters! Fat Shetland pony! All sorts of Vikings with all kinds of gender expressions! Cuddly sweaters! A ruckus!

I want to give this book a million five star reviews.
Alex
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A parent friend wondered about children's books with badass girl role models and I was like "PRINCESS AND PONY OMG" and she was like *cock an eyebrow* maybe something without princesses? and I was like IT'S NOT THAT KIND OF PRINCESS

It's not that kind of princess.
Julie
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book was a huge hit with my kids. It's laugh-out-loud funny, and appealed to their love of battles, princesses, cute stuff, and flatulence. But mostly it's just hysterically funny. And I'd give it five stars based only on the pony's tongue. Love this book.
Bionic Jean
The Princess and the Pony is a picture book; a fun tale for tiny tots with a mischievous sense of humour. The story is about a petite and pugnacious poppet, Princess Pinecone, who lives in a kingdom of vaguely Viking warriors. All her friends get great warrior presents such as, "shields, amulets, helmets with horns on. Things to win battles with". So Princess Pinecone desperately wants that sort of birthday present too.

Instead though, she's always given cosy sweaters. This time she makes sure t
Wench
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-of-wench, 2016
Can we talk for a minute about how awesome it is that our titular princess is a mixed-race girl? And how her fellow warriors are all different races, sizes, shapes, and genders? And how the moral of the story is that people aren't just one thing? Can we? Because it's awesome.
La Coccinelle
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I almost passed on this one because the cover looked so ridiculous. But am I ever glad I picked it up. It's hilarious! How can you not love a farting pony with eyes that look in two different directions?

Poor Princess Pinecone. All she wants is a horse fit for a warrior. But her parents get her this pony instead. She tries to make it work, but the pony is just not cut out for battle. However, it may have a secret weapon of its own (and it's not gas)!

The text and illustrations work perfectly toget
Paige
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Look, I don't normally read/review (and in this case) freak out over children's pictures books, but this is just so darn cute. I picked this up when I was doing my volunteer shindig at the Scholastic warehouse and FELL IN LOVE.
Princess Pinecone and her little pony are too adorable for words and I will push this book on everyone to read because of its cute factor. A derpy pony that is squishy and adorable? Check. That same pony having not one, but two mentions of farting? Check. A pony and princ
David Schaafsma
The whole family will read all these Goodreads Children's Illustrated book nominees for 2015 and rate all of them.

So, this, book ten of fifteen nominated, catapulted into our favorite for the year (though we have two unread), all five star independent ratings! (This is a statistical favorite, for the fan; Harry and I liked this one best, overall; Tara liked best Last Stop on Market Street by Matt LaPena and Christian Robinson; Henry liked Winnie, and Lyra liked A Fine Dessert. But this is the o
Peter Derk
There are two things I like when it comes to cartoon eyes, and this book does one of them:

1. Eyes that are angry for no reason.
Always hilarious. Don't question me on it. Always.

2. Wall eyes.
Again, never a bad idea. Even some of our most-beloved characters would have done well to learn this lesson.

Observe:

Charlie Brown. Depressed. Reliant on only his tormentor to relieve him of his crippling psychological burdens.
description

Now let's see what we can do here...

description

Little warmer. Little closer to a fun kid's ch
Catie
My daughter exploded with surprised laughter when the pony farted at the end, and then insisted on reading this book out loud to us every night for a week. Bonus points for getting my seven year old to say "flummoxed."
Ashley
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is sickeningly adorable and farty. Kids love farts. A+.
Kandise
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2015
Listen, my soon-to-be-1 niece is really too young to appreciate the majesty that is this book, but I will love the shit out of giving it to her.
Anna Taylor
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHA
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
A farting pony, a racially and culturally diverse cast, a mixed race main character as a young princess with a desire to be a champion warrior only for her birthday, instead of a warhorse, she receives an adorable little pony. Sounds good so far.

Despite the positive female 'girl power' role model whose parents represent mine exactly with a black mother and white father, the cute illustrations (including a veiled warrior woman), the story didn't sit right with me. Yes, the fierce warriors being a
Abigail
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Picture-Book Readers Looking for Princess Tales with a Twist
Princess Pinecone is the smallest warrior in the kingdom, and longs to show everyone just what she can do. Having asked for a fierce war-horse many times, her wish is finally granted on her birthday... sort of. The pony she is given turns out to be somewhat different from what she was envisioning. Fat and small, with occasionally crisscrossed eyes, and a tendency to fart when excited, the pony is no one'd idea of a battle-winning steed. Still, a princess can always try, and Pinecone struggles to ...more
Becky
Princess Pinecone wants a pony for her birthday. The pony she wants is different than the pony she gets. The pony she gets is short and round and--depending on your point of view, either cute and adorable or ugly. She certainly can't imagine riding the pony, especially not into battle. The pony isn't very warrior-ish. But the pony has a way of charming the other warriors and even Princess Pinecone herself.

If pony farting books are your thing, then The Princess and the Pony may be just right for
brea
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, childrens
OH. MY. GOD.
That was the cutest book I have ever read.

I mean come on! The princess's name is Pinecone; how freaking adorable.

And did you see that roly-poly little horse munchkin. That little pony was such a cute little nugget; I just love them ♥

photo the-princess-and-the-pony-kate-beaton-illustration_zpsr5dcxr0s.jpg
Kristine Hansen
We go into battle to wage war and...get cuddly? Er...

Silly story but with a deeper message I'm not altogether sure I like. I'd have to think about this one a whole lot more before I could say why exactly this one hits me so wrong. It just does.
Mehsi
A magical and hilarious book about a girl, a pony, lots of warriors and a big battle. Fun illustrations. Highly recommended. May write a bigger review soon.
micah
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was precious and I loved it to bits!
Morgan
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was adorable! Children are bound to get a laugh out of this one!
Meagan
I don't read much in the way of picture books, but I'm a fan of Kate Beaton's Hark! A Vagrant, and there's still a bit of a wait for Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection, so this was the perfect way to fill that gap.

The story is cute and funny, but what really makes the book for me was the illustration. I would hang the two-page spread pony picture in my office, I swear. I don't have kids, so I can't guarantee it, but I suspect that this is one of those books that will appeal to kids w
Randy
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I get older I find that I enjoy these children's books a lot. A nice break from the heavyweight stuff I normally tackle.

This one is the story of a princess who wants to be a mighty warrior. To that end, she wishes for a big horse instead geting a roly-poly pony. Resolved to do her best in the coming games, the princess learns there's more than one way to win.

Fun little book that the wee ones will surely enjoy.
Selena
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love cute and quirky

This is everything I wanted and more.

Oh my gosh, this was adorable and funny and sweet and quirky. Who wouldn't love a story about a mini warrior princess and her adorably fat pony?

Loving it. Loving it so much. I think I may need to buy a copy to keep since the library will eventually ask for their copy back.
Bruce Gargoyle
Ten Second Synopsis:
Warrior Princess Pinecone wants nothing more for her birthday than a magnificent horse worthy of a warrior princess. Her parents nearly get it right.

This has gone straight to the favourites shelf. I absolutely loved this book - it's quirky, it's funny, it has a fantastic range of diverse characters and it is just the perfect antidote to the cliched princess story. Surely a modern classic.

Highly recommended.

• Wolfie the Bunny
  • Maiden & Princess
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • Interstellar Cinderella
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Princess Hair
  • Snappsy the Alligator (Did Not Ask to Be in This Book)
  • Don't Worry, Little Crab
  • Polar Bear's Underwear
  • The Skunk
  • My Footprints
  • Spork
Kate Beaton was born in Nova Scotia, took a history degree in New Brunswick, paid it off in Alberta, worked in a museum in British Columbia, then came to Ontario for a while to draw pictures, then Halifax, and then New York, and then back to Toronto.