Start by marking “You Had Me at "Hello, World": Mentoring Sessions with Industry Leaders at Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Zynga and more!” as Want to Read:

Would you like the chance to have a mentoring session with a VP, Director or other influential leader from Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Rent The Runway, Zynga, Textio and many others?

I did! So I scheduled time with these awesome people to pick their brains and share what I learned with my mentees :)

Guess what? They did not tell me to write cleaner code or
Published August 28th 2015 by Quill and Pen Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You Had Me at "Hello, World", please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Had Me at "Hello, World"

Start your review of You Had Me at "Hello, World": Mentoring Sessions with Industry Leaders at Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Amazon, Zynga and more!
Kelli Estes
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A book that every person currently working, or hoping to work, in the Tech industry should read! Excellent advice.
Paola C
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me ha parecido bastante interesante la forma en que este libro da consejos sobre como entrar en una empresa y promocionarse para alcanzar mejores puestos a través de la propia experiencia de la autora y con ejemplos de otras personas reconocidas que me sorprendieron.
La única pega es que se centra en el ámbito de las nuevas tecnologías y a veces puede resultar un poco difícil de entender sobre que está hablando cuando usa lenguaje técnico específico de la rama. Aún así los consejos son aplicables
Imaculate Mosha
Jan 09, 2018 added it
Shelves: tech
I read this book at the right time (3 months as a Software Engineer at Microsoft). It is short, insightful and the set the tone for managing my career.
J.R.
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
My only complaint was I wanted more.
Dirk
Dona Sarkar has written an excellent book that will be of great help to people who are looking for a career in the technology industry and elsewhere. The books particular strength is that is is full of concrete examples, actual emails used to approach people as well as tips from people working in industry. Not the usual fluff found in careers for dummies books, but really useful and usable advice. I will definitely recommend the book to my students who always ask questions that are answered in ...more
Christy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Quite good, though I suspect I (mid career stage) wasn't the intended audience (new grads). Some advise I wish I followed sooner, kudos to Dona for putting this tobether to help the next generation in the corporate world.
One thing what I was not comfortable with: a little white lie, or dishonest conversation(?) with your manager when asking for a raise with another offer in your pocket. Maybe this is really how this game is played, but why make it official printing it into an otherwise very
Alejandra Ximena
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lectura recomendada para recién egresados y profesionales en sus primeros años de carrera.

La autora, Dona Sarkar, reúne consejos de numerosos profesionales del mundo tecnológico (pero que funcionan para cualquier persona, independientemente del rubro en que se encuentren) y te explica, con ejemplos e historias personales, cómo puedes aplicarlos al instante.

Definitivamente un libro al que volveré en el futuro para revisar capítulos y releer notas.
Akshay Bakshi
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Dona's book is cogent, hitting hard one lesson after another, a great crash course for college grads entering tech. I have stumbled into a bunch of her tips through trial and error on my own, but it's wonderful validation to hear the same package of advice from someone who's done it already. Recommended.
Sergio Hinchado
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Libro escrito por una profesional de IT de Silicon Valley que ofrece una lectura personal de la carrera profesional de una programadora informática. Ofrece algunas ideas interesantes y acceso a fuentes bibliográficas relevantes pero sin ir más allá. Es un diario personal.
Noel Broda
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Juro que este es el peor libro que he leído en mi vida. Me dió muchísima vergüenza ajena.
No puedo creer que este libro tenga 4,5 estrellas de puntuación. Que le vieron de lindo? La humanidad está perdida.
Allisonperkel
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful overview for those starting out in their career. Simply awesome - for the right audience. If you've been working for a few years, this should all be things you know.

Will aside from the discussion on mentor versus sponsor - that usually takes longer to figure out.
Varun Sharma
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book by a great author. First met her at MS Ignite NZ 2016 and the next day I ordered her book. This book tells you things that actually work and tells you step by step as to how anyone can do it.
Raviteja Andhavarapu
The book gives advice on a bunch of stuff to help one grow in an organization or in general. I like some of the advice but not everything seems applicable to everybody. Most of the advice is from female leaders (for some reason). Very quick read.
Sujit koduru
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful!!

Very insightful and reiterates so many key elements of networking and do the thing attitude !! Loved the read !!
Alejandro
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book by Dona Sarkar. I would recommend this book to anyone working, or hoping to work, in the tech industry. Very quick and easy to read, super insightful and fun.
Anna
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Even though this book has great inspirational quotes for increasing your people skills and relationship, I can suggest it only for new grads searching for a job
Andrew Tan
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Want great career advice? Read this book!

A most valuable book and well written. Thank you Dona for sharing all these excellent morsels of wisdom from significant tech people.
Artemis
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved your talk! Read this book on my flight!
Marie Groover
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty insightful, super quick read.
Fay Wu
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I met Dona Sarkar at a Microsoft event for college women studying CS in SoCal. She is inspirational, very friendly and wise. I found so much good advice in this book that I've highlighted something almost every page, with sticky notes "TODO"s to remind me of things I now really want to do, such as asking as many questions about everything during my first few months at a new job, actively looking for mentorship and building solid professional relationships, and doing research into my industry ...more
Vanessa Hurst
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I'm a friend of the author's and was interviewed for this book.

Review: I read this on the plane to the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing to get pumped. I found it incredibly easy to read, with solid advice. The lessons and stories are helpful and the industry leaders - particularly Kate Matsudaira and Camille Fournier, two of my personal favorites - are excellent.

I'd recommend this primarily to early career professionals in tech. I think mid-career folks in a slump or
Guillermo Rueda
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you think you know it all when it comes to work for the tech industry (or others)? Think again!

Good for whenever you start on a new job... And even if you've been there for a while. Made me rethink about a lot of things that I hadn't considered much as important (but they are) and situations where having the right knowledge and mindset will definitely help going over them in a way more smoother (and even successful) way. Thanks for spreading the knowledge!
Oleksiy Kovyrin
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
May be interesting for college graduates or junior engineers. Haven't found anything new in this book for myself.
Tuan
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Hit Refresh
  • Together is Better: A Little Book of Inspiration
  • The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever
  • Connection Culture: The Competitive Advantage of Shared Identity, Empathy, and Understanding at Work
  • Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business
  • The Ideal Team Player: How to Recognize and Cultivate The Three Essential Virtues
  • Xách Ba Lô Lên Và Đi - Tập 1: Châu Á Là Nhà. Đừng Khóc!
  • Xách Ba Lô lên Và Đi - Tập 2: Đừng Chết Ở Châu Phi
  • Bên Thắng Cuộc - Quyền Bính (Bên Thắng Cuộc, #2)
  • Bên Thắng Cuộc - Giải Phóng (Bên Thắng Cuộc, #1)
  • Giấc mơ Mỹ - Đường đến Stanford
  • In the Country We Love: My Family Divided
  • Phong Cách Quản Trị Park Hang Seo - Bí Quyết Thành Công Của Doanh Nghiệp Hàn Quốc
  • National Geographic Almanac of World History
  • Buddha's Child: My Fight to Save Vietnam
  • Phút 89 - Tự Truyện Lê Công Vinh
  • Frankenstein's Cat: Cuddling Up to Biotech's Brave New Beasts
  • Tuổi Trẻ Không Hối Tiếc
Dona is definitely supposed to be writing her overdue novel right now. Her agent is constantly amazed by the amount of happy hours, reading new authors, browsing Pinterest and pretty much every other activity on the planet Dona can conjure up when she has a writing deadline.

Dona is the published author of three novels HOW TO SALSA IN A SARI, SHRINK TO FIT and HAUTE DATE all from Harper Collins'
“Superpowers follow passions. Careers where you’re mostly working within your passions are careers where you are more likely to be happy, fulfilled, and super powerful. You want a job where being your natural self sets you up for success. Conversely, if you find yourself in a job that relies on core skills that don’t feel fun or innate to you, you’re going to feel like you’re swimming against the current all the time. It won’t set you or your work up for success. Knowing your superpowers is mostly about knowing what you love.” 0 likes