Start by marking “Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas” as Want to Read:
Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas

Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas

"All that have ever tried to impose change in their organization will immediately recognize and truly value the in-depth knowledge and experience captured in this book. It contains a collection of eye-openers that is a treasure chest for pioneers of new organizational ideas, A fantastic toolbox for use in future missions!"
--Lise B. Hvatum, product development manager, Schl
Published October 14th 2004 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published September 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless Change

Start your review of Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
Patrick
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it
One of the main job of a consultant is to drive change. From individuals to organizations, we're asked to make peoples' jobs different through helping them try new technologies, alter their processes, or adopt new habits. Ironically, people who hire us often don't want to change themselves. They want different outcomes without actually doing anything differently. What makes our job difficult is helping them despite themselves.

Enter Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas. This book t
Mike
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Mark Twain, Issac Newton, Vincent Van Gogh, Anne Frank, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King: In Fearless Change voices from the past are assembled in chorus to extol the virtues of innovative middle management. Our two authors, like Rilkian angels, don't know whether it is the living they are moving among, or the dead; they reside in that immortal space as manifested by the corporation. There are quotes everywhere from anybody in this book. In one rather short paragraph three quotes from three s ...more
Jason Roselander
Feb 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
I heard the authors speak at an event and found them thoroughly engaging, which lead me to try to read Fearless Change, although I really can't find anything to recommend it.

The "patterns" are, with a few exceptions, beyond obvious. Here are a few sections that would lose nothing if you reduced them to the title alone: "Ask for help," "Brown Bag," "Do Food," "e-Forum," "Involve everyone," "Just do it."

In the "Do Food" pattern, you will learn the following: "Usually a meeting is just another ordi
Marcin
Nov 12, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a first non-software patterns book that I read and for that it has given me a very interesting insight into the world of patterns and their wider appeal. I like the patterns listed in the book as they form a useful language to use when discussing change, at times, they feel too generic to give specific solutions and that's OK. Some mini-cases and examples of use felt a little bit weak, more a narrative that for me didn't always add much value.
I will be going back to the book.
Cymackenzie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of this is common sense. And the authors freely acknowledge that it will seem like common sense to some people. But seeing the patterns the authors put together, and put in context, was really enlightening.
Isaac Perez Moncho
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book to have an understanding of how to make change happen.
Most patterns in the book are very good and their explanations are well balanced and written.
Altuğ Bilgin Altıntaş
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book will change your mindset and you will begin to see the patterns everywhere.
Melchor Moro-Oliveros
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: letti-2014
This book has influenced me in my working life a lot. After I had read it, I often think of it as I frequently face situations that fit in one of the patterns described in the book. The book’s content may seem at a first glance to say only obvious things but it does not. I consider it to be very disruptive. The message is very clear: Most people (I would say 95-98%) show always resistance to changes. Even fear. Break through these fears is not only about facts and rational arguying in order to g ...more
Amy Gilchrist Thorne
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nontech, nonfiction
I think this book is probably useful to keep in mind if you're trying to bring about organizational change.

I agree that it's not necessarily great to read through, and many of the patterns can seem obvious. But often, that's how patterns books can be. The best part comes later, when you're trying to do whatever the pattern book is about, and can come back to it as a reference for ideas.

Some like "Do Food" and "Brown Bag" might be obvious, but I can imagine scenarios where having this book around
Kristjan Wager
Many of us have faced the challenges of introducing new ideas to an organization, leading many people to stop trying to do so. Instead of doing that, it might be worth reading Fearless Change.

Fearless Change gives the reader some great patterns for successfully introducing changes to organizations, and also tells the reader that some times they have to leave the actual job of doing so to others.

The only problem I had with the book, is that while it does go into how some people are not the right
Gishu Pillai
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The biggest curveball my career as a developer threw me - was that technical expertise would get you only so far - maybe the first 3-5 years of your career in most organizations

Thereafter it turns into a game of cajoling and coercing and influencing other people to get to your goal - the hardest is influencing people without authority. This book has a bag of tricks to help you in that area.

That said, it is extremely hard work and I can't say that I have been able to get many miles out of this on
Ariadna73
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Fearless Change gives the reader advice on what to write and how to answer to some of the most common situations faced when trying to introduce change in organizations. It is useful for those whose work is to help organizations improve what they are doing while they think they are doing great. All of us know how change is difficult and how nobody wants to change. This book gives some recipes to face the challenge and lead to change in the organization.
Kevin Goldsmith
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management-books
Good as introduction for new change agents

For folks who are interested in driving change, or have been doing it without much mentorship, the patterns and examples presented here are a nice introduction to various tools. For those who are more experienced, there is some value in finding a common vocabulary around these techniques and it is a nice reminder of things that you may have internalized.
Curtis Jensen
As software engineer, how could you not love a patterns book. Unfortunately, this one seems to try too hard and mostly points out some obvious techniques. It's an OK read, but can't say it is too enlightening. And to not reference the GoF Design Patterns book in the references seems sacrilegious. ...more
Bressain Dinkelman
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I kind of wish the book was either laid out like just a patterns book or just a story-based book instead of both in separate sections. That said, the patterns are useful and worth reviewing any time you want to affect change in an organization.
Christophe Addinquy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: oragnizational coaches
Recommended to Christophe by: Laurent Sarrazin
Shelves: stoos, agile, coaching
Marylynn
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is *my* book! :-)
Thomas
Mar 10, 2010 added it
Änderungen in Organisationen - Pattern zur Vorbereitung, Durchführung, Unterstützung, ...
Fokus ganz klar auf Soft-Skills.
Wayne
Aug 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Elegant presentation and application of Pattern Language structure, i.e.: Christopher Alaxander
Zach
Jan 25, 2021
Stefan Potirniche
Dec 16, 2017

• High Output Management
  • The Art of Action: How Leaders Close the Gaps between Plans, Actions and Results
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Cynefin - Weaving Sense-Making into the Fabric of Our World
  • How Emotions Are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain
  • Agile Coaching
  • Training from the Back of the Room!: 65 Ways to Step Aside and Let Them Learn
  • The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win
  • A Philosophy of Software Design
  • Seizing Success: A Woman's Guide to Transformational Leadership

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »