Start by marking “The Indispensable Wife (Châteaux and Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Indispensable Wife (Châteaux and Shadows, #1)

The Indispensable Wife

(Châteaux and Shadows #1)

Aurore was delighted when a marriage was arranged with the boy she loved, her older brother’s friend Dominique, Comte de Bures. But in a few years the first rush of joy has worn off, and their promising life seems ruined by loss, betrayal, and misunderstanding.

One terrifying morning mercenaries overrun their château and usurpers take Aurore hostage. Miles away at Versaill
Published October 7th 2015 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about The Indispensable Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indispensable Wife

Start your review of The Indispensable Wife (Châteaux and Shadows, #1)
Catherine
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This well researched and engaging story takes place during the reign of Louis XIV, a fascinating era in France. It's an enjoyable read about a couple who must rekindle the love that first brought them together against a backdrop of danger and court intrigues.
Molly Mix
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
In a classic case of not knowing what you've got until it's gone, hero Dominique and his wife Aurore don't realize how indispenable each of them is to the other until they are parted when Aurore is taken hostage in a mercenary take-over of their chateau and Dom is nearly killed by an assasins arrow in the court of Louis XIV. As Dom recovers from his injuries, Aurore escapes her captors and goes on the run, hiding amongst an itinerant group of musicians performing throughout the French countrysid ...more
Liza Miller
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Indispensable Wife is Philippa Lodge's 2nd book and the first book in a new series. Set during the time of Louis XIV, the book explores a married couple, Aurore & Dominique, whose initially loving and joyful marriage has been damaged by time, neglect, and deep loss. They have drifted apart and see no path back to each other. Fate intervenes in the form of danger, tragedy, and deception. Lodge writes a novel that lets the readers see if love can be re-kindled. Lodge's love of French histo ...more
Andrew Buskey
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I took a chance on a genre that was new to me (I normally read non-fiction and science books) and it was well worth it. This historical romance is wonderful! As I read this book, I thought it was very refreshing that the author took the route of exploring a more complex and dynamic romantic relationship. The character development is great and overall, it's just plain fun to read. Clearly, Ms. Lodge has a talent for clever and rousing prose. I enjoyed the adventures of Dom and Aurore as they stru ...more
MaryD
Years of loss, betrayal and misunderstandings have fractured the marriage between Aurore and Dominique, Comte de Bures. Then while Dominique is at court, enemies take over his holding, violating Aurore and terrorizing the people who depend on him for safety. Meanwhile, there is an attempt on Dominique's life and rumors of treason surround him.

The relationship between the two is complicated by temperament and circumstances, but the plot is well-written.
Cerys
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The only criticism of this book I have is that it was too short. Philippa Lodge evokes life at the French court under Louis XIV wonderfully. Her characters are well drawn and I really cared about what happened to them. An excellent historical romance.
Amy
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic story. Well written and engaging. I couldn't put it down. Can't wait for book 2!
Linsey
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I would have like to have seen more showing, less telling. The characters had potential, but the author told us how they felt instead of getting inside their heads and showing us.
Theresa Schmitt
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am eagerly waiting for book 2 in this new series! I enjoyed the authors exploration of strain and rebuilding of a relationship
Alisha
Mar 17, 2016
Thaylia
Sep 16, 2016
Hafiza
rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2016
Jupy
rated it it was ok
May 04, 2016
Philippa Lodge
Aug 25, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommended to Philippa by: http://philippalodge.blogspot.com/201...
Kim Berry
Mollie Katie
Judy Thomas
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 27, 2015 02:21PM
It came to me in a dream.... 1 4 Aug 25, 2015 04:21PM

Châteaux and Shadows (5 books)
  • The Honorable Officer (Châteaux and Shadows, #2)
  • The Chevalier (Châteaux and Shadows, #3)
  • Henri et Marcel (Châteaux and Shadows, #4)
  • Melisande (Châteaux and Shadows, #5)