Start by marking “The Man of the Crowd” as Want to Read:
The Man of the Crowd

Read Book* *Different edition

The Man of the Crowd

How is this book unique?
Font adjustments & biography included
Unabridged (100% Original content)
Illustrated

About The Man of the Crowd by Edgar Allan Poe
"The Man of the Crowd" is a story by American writer Edgar Allan Poe about a nameless narrator following a man through a crowded London. Plot Summary: The story is introduced with the epigraph "Ce grand mal
Audio Cassette, 3 pages
Published August 1st 1994 by Commuter Library (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Man of the Crowd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man of the Crowd

Start your review of The Man of the Crowd
Glenn Russell
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Published in 1845, The Man of the Crowd by Edgar Allan Poe is a fascinating tale exploring, among other topics, the various ways we can be present in the world and experience the people and life around us.

For such nineteenth century thinkers as Arthur Schopenhauer aesthetic experience is a way to lift us above our everyday concerns, material desires and emotional sufferings to a realm of intellectual contemplation that is most pleasant and freeing. This is, in fact, the narrator’s mindset for th
Sean Barrs
Have you ever stopped, for just a moment, and observed the crowd you are part of but not fully a member of? We’re all isolated from each other when in a mass crowd of people; there’s not really any connectedness with other people. By observation this idea is felt more strongly; thus, the narrator of this tale carries with him a depth of separation and loneliness. Well, until he finds an unusual face amongst the crowd of supposed pretenders and hypocrites.

So, he follows the face and, you guessed
Peter
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A first person narrator observes people passing by the window of a coffe house. He does a brilliant classification of characters and is especially fascinated by an old haunted man who aimlessly strolls through the street, always looking for people to be with. What's the reason for this strange behaviour? In this well plotted and intriguing story Poe will reveal his secret. Recommended!
Jason Koivu
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this in 2010, gave it three stars, and I have no idea why, because I can't remember a damn thing about it.

Let's see if Wiki can cast some light on it...

"The Man of the Crowd" is...about a nameless narrator following a man through a crowded London...

After an unnamed illness, the unnamed narrator sits in an unnamed coffee shop...he considers how isolated people think they are, despite "the very denseness of the company around". He takes time to categorize the different types of people he s
Chris
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
An odd short story that was selected by my classics group. A man follows another who has piqued his interest while crowd watching one day in London. He follows the old man for two days observing changes in demeanor, gait, & body morphology (for lack of a better description). Who is this man? Is he a criminal? Afflicted with dementia? Lonely? That is for the reader to decide. ...more
Yani
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¿Se puede experimentar la vorágine de una ciudad como Londres a través de los ojos de alguien que simplemente está sentado en un café? ¿Contemplar a los diferentes transeúntes, los empujones cotidianos, la marcha incesante, la sensación de estar en un grupo pero sin perder la individualidad? O mejor aún: ¿qué se sentiría al divisar un rostro demoníaco que se vuelve tan sospechoso que induce al protagonista/ narrador a salir del café e iniciar una persecución?

Poe logra su objetivo. Este cuento e
Emilia
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Man of the Crowd is the first short story in which the concept of the flaneur was used. It first appeared in a poem by Charles Baudelaire and if translated from French is described as a stroller, idler, walker. In this short storw we have two flaneurs. The first one is the narrator who watches through the window of a hotel. He treats the people who pass for his own pleasure. He divides the crowd into people who have their characteristics. He is a voyeur; taking extreme pleasure in reading peop ...more
Alejandro Saint-Barthélemy
To read in tandem with Baudelaire's prose poems and the movie "Following", by Cristopher Nolan.
J.M. Brister
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: American lit fans, Edgar Allan Poe fans
Shelves: 2013, 2019
"The Man of the Crowd" is a short story written by Edgar Allan Poe. Although it is not among some of his more well-known, it is still quite enjoyable.

An unnamed man in an unnamed cafe in London sits and watches people pass by. As they do, the unnamed man begins to put them all in categories. When he stumbles upon an old man he can't quite classify, he follows him throughout the market, trying to decide what "box" to categorize the man.

The unnamed man is not as fascinating as the old man he follo
Marija Andreeva
I loved it.
It is a short story and it is totally Edgar Allan Poe. I loved it. I was always expecting something to happen and thеn... there was the end. Great message.
Mya
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the ending. What a classic?
Fernando
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tal vez, junto con "El demonio de la perversidad", este sea unos de los cuentos de mayor profundidad e inspección psicológica que hayan salido de la pluma de Edgar Allan Poe.
Es también una parábola sobre la soledad y sobre la posición del individuo dentro de la sociedad y acerca de cómo interactúa con ella.
Y por supuesto trata acerca de una obsesión, una de las tantas que Poe transformaba en historias atrayentes para el lector.
Siobhan
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m slowly working my way through Edgar Allan Poe’s work, something which will take me quite some time, and of those I have read thus far The Man of the Crowd is my least favourite.

I know many people enjoy this one, approach it as having a much deeper meaning that wows them. Whilst I can see that deeper meaning within the story, I wasn’t invested enough to care. I kept expecting something more to happen, something chilling to occur, only to finish this one feeling as though nothing happened.

It c
Knigoqdec
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Това кратко произведение много прилича на философско есе, отнасящо се до темата... "човекът от тълпата", както е и озаглавен въпросния разказ. Хареса ми как е поднесен. В началото очакваш да се случи нещо друго, но после постепенно осъзнаваш смисъла на странното държане на странния старец. Вечно търсещ да се скрие сред другите.
Kat
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Passer bra til påske!
Tom Mc Kenna
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ce grand malheur, de ne pouvoir être seul. [This great misfortune of not being able to be alone]
-La Bruyère. Poe's opening quote

While reading this tale the lyrics of Lennon and McCartney's Eleanor Rigby for some reason kept flashing through my mind as the narrator gazed upon the people passing in front of his cafe's grimy window. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndDVz...

Ah, look at all the lonely people
All the lonely people
Where do they all come from?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong
Ailen
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Quién necesita cámaras de seguridad cuando se tiene a este sugeto?
El protagonista describe a todos a los que ve con lujo de detalle en la multitud, incluso los clasifica y es así como ve a un hombre que destaca entre todos y comienza a seguirlo.
Francamente nuestro protagonista es un acosador que busca saciar su curiosidad siguiendo a este anciano extraño.
Creo que lo que más destaca del cuento son sus descripciones, también se podría analizar de varias formas y encontrar varios mensajes. Podrí
Maria Jose
Oct 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este es el retrato de un acosador. Entiendo que el hombre está en una etapa de su vida en la que si tenía una curiosidad,no iba a permitir quedarse con la inquietud.
Ebster Davis
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is kind of an unconventional detective story. I really don't feel like it had any resolutions. (I think the point is that sometimes you don't get to see the resolutions.) I still think the concept was a really cool one.

*Spoilers to follow

I feel like the narrator could have been Poirot or Dupin, or perhaps Holmes in a quiet moment, sitting around London people-watching.

There's a lot of detail going into describing all the people in the crowd of people going about their normal lives. Then h
Salam Almahi
This was different from what I expected. The description was "How to follow someone" so I imagined a creepy stalker story that possibly ends up with murder. But no, it was merely a detailed stretched-out description of people, then a person walking.
The only reason I gave it 2 stars is that the last line that explains the idea of this story and meaning behind the title "This old man," I said at length, "is the type and the genius of deep crime. He refuses to be alone. He is the man of the crowd."
Mark
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very mysterious and intriguing story. It is best to read this short story in the evening after the sun has just gone down. You can really pick up on the atmosphere the character is in, as the story has an air to it that seems (in my opinion) to suit this time of day. You can just envision yourself among the "crowd" full of cliques and faceless people, following that distinct man in his day...there is something oddly mysterious about that kind of pursuit.
Israa
May 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
I just like the last two or three lines "The old man," I said at
length, "is the type and the genius of deep crime. He refuses to be alone.
He is the man of the crowd. It will be in vain to follow, for I shall learn
no more of him, nor of his deeds."
Jeraviz
Relato con una premisa interesante con la que Poe demuestra su gran voz narrando. Me ha gustado bastante.
Soycd
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved these short stories.

The somber and mysterious atmosphere is a perfect scenery for the peculiar and twisted characters that wander around in this tales.
Adam Sprague
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it
How many people are simply just "men of the crowd"? Too many.
lola :D
this was???? interesting???????? i guess???????????????
Galicius
Jul 20, 2020 rated it liked it
'Hortulus Animæ--The Little Garden of the Soul, "Raj duszny" a type of devotional book of prayers, intended for the laity, that was widespread in Germany in the early 16th century.

'er lasst sich nicht lesen.' The book/person does not permit itself/himself to be read.
David Doyle
Sep 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a pointless story. Some guy lazing in a coffee shop is people watching and for some reason this older guy catches his eye. He decides to follow the old chap around town for 2 or 3 days. The bizarre thing is the old man ALWAYS stays where there are people, he always puts himself where there is a cluster of folks. The stalker guy finally gets up close & places himself directly in front of the man he's been observing, but the man takes no notice of him and hurries on his way. Based on this ...more
Léopold
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
À mettre en relation avec « La perspective Nevski » des Nouvelles de Pétersbourg et Charles Baudelaire ; une nouvelle plus attrayante par son canevas et cette figure de l’homme des foules que par l’écriture d’A.Poe, que j’ai trouvé assez peu concise. Un joli voyage pour les amoureux d’ombres fugitives et contingentes...de beauté, donc.
Michelle Juergen
Oct 11, 2011
Nicola
Nov 02, 2011
Max
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2011
Dec 13, 2012
Chriss
is currently reading it
Dec 16, 2012
Classics and the ...: * Edgar Allan Poe: The Man of the Crowd 46 57 Jun 03, 2020 02:59PM

• The Sphinx Without a Secret