Start by marking “Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)

Fierce Like a Firestorm

(Hibiscus Daughter #2)

In the bewitching conclusion to Lana Popovic’s sumptuous and romantic teen fantasy duology, Malina must use her gleam to rescue her twin sister from a magical power more dangerous than Death.

Twin sisters Iris and Malina thought they knew how to reverse the ancient curse that haunts their line, the spell that destines them to use their gleams—unique forms of beauty-manipula
Published August 21st 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Like a Firestorm, please sign up.

Start your review of Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)
Alaina
I'm sorry.. but what the hell kind of ending was that horse shit? Or did I read a different book than everybody else?

Fierce Like a Firestorm was a book that ended up annoying me to no end. Especially with certain chapters. Ugh, but it also had some good moments that kept me intrigued. I really did like that these two sisters, Lina and Iris, were trying to find one another and basically save them and the world. YET, that ending was just 'meh' to me. I'm not really happy with it and I don't know w
Kate
Oct 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
This cover is giving me hearts in my eyes.
Shima
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I probably have, but at the moment I can't remember reading any other book that took as long to pick up as this one. The first half of this book, if not more, is basically descriptions of Iris and Fjolar in their kingdom of wonder. OOow look! The sky's filled with moons here. An infinite waterfall. A toxic garden. A ginormous tree.
Now I'm not even one of those readers who are opposed to sensory descriptions. It was what I loved about Wicked Like a Wildfire in the first place. But.NOT.This.Much.
Andy
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
4.5/5

Fierce like a Firestorm picks up right after the events of Wicked Like a Wildfire. Mara has yet to reveal all she has sacrificed in order to gain immortal life. Iris and Malina have been separated by a Death god and do not know the way back to each other. And a strange evil is coming for the witches of Mara's bloodline.

I absolutely loved the first book, from the characters, to the magic and the world that was hidden within Montenegro and it's legends. I was really nervous that Fierce like
Megan Derr
Mar 27, 2018 marked it as need-to-buy

Re-ordered! Very excited, loved the first one.

------

Amazon just canceled my pre-order of the hardback out of the blue, and only the kindle is still available to buy. But I can find nothing about why. It's very strange.
Breanna
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
this book took a turn for the worse and went downhill real fast after that.

(view spoiler)
Anne-Wil
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not entirely sure about this book. It took me a while to get into, some kind of summary (especially with an intricate story like this) would have been nice. Once I got into it, I could follow it. However, the story didn’t have a hold on me like the previous book had. I mostly finished it because I wanted to know how it would end, not because I really enjoyed the story. It also got a bit of an open ending, which I don’t like.
Still, I gave three stars, because wow what an imagination you have
Cindee
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book I liked how it was written I liked the relationships between the characters the romance and everything else. I really liked the characters even more than before they have grown so much more I especially liked Iris and Melina and the relationship between Lina and Niko it was so beautifully written. I really liked the story with Iris being stuck somewhere else and Lina doing anything she can to find her and the story just got more interesting from there. So overall I loved ...more
Anniek
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
As much as I enjoyed the first book in this duology, this was a letdown for me. While it was imaginative, it didn't live up to its potential, mostly because hardly anything happened throughout the entire book.
Jenny
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one quite as much as the first. I did like the magical world of Death, that was pretty cool, but otherwise not a lot seemed to be happening until the end. The writing is still beautiful, though, and I love the two sisters. I really wanted more Luka in this one though!
Tiffany
Mar 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Anyway we can get an advance copy of this. :-) I just finished Wicked like a Wildfire and I must know how this ends!!!
Jude (NovelReader13)
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, fantasy
While Wicked Like a Wildfire didn't blow me away, the ending left me intrigued enough to want to pick up Fierce Like a Firestorm. My hope was, now that I knew the characters and the world, I would have an easier time connecting with this book than I did with the 1st one.

Unfortunately I found that the things I didn't enjoy about the 1st books were even worse in the 2nd one. I didn't care really for the characters or about what happened to them. That was even more the case for Fjolar and the coven
Jalilah
Sorry to say, but this is a rather disappointing follow up to the first one Wicked Like a Wildfire.
I am giving it 3 stars for the authors imagination, lush descriptions and mostly perhaps because I liked the first book so much. Although the author's magic did not completely make sense to me in the first book, it did not matter because the magic was only simmering under the surface most of the time. What made the book was the setting in a village by the sea surrounded by mountains Montenegro. Wh
Danielle
Aug 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
I desperately need books to give us some kind of summary/reminder as to what happened in the previous novel. I read Wicked like a Wildfire a year ago and was anticipating the second book. I’m of an age now where finding time to read is a luxury and rereading ahead of publication is not something I want to dedicate a lot of time to. Trying to move back into this world felt exhausting in a few pages – as others have said, at times the text is flowery and the pacing slow. So I DNF.
explorerofbooks
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This sequel takes on a darker theme, and the action scenes are much more hauntingly rendered than before. As usual, I was completely lured in by the magic system, but still, this book didn’t manage to completely enchant me like its predecessor did.

Iris and Malina were ready to sacrifice everything to shatter an ancient curse tying their family together, and in the end, they sacrificed too much. The uncanny bond with Death has been broken, but his greedy interest has led him to capture Iris. She
Caitlin
I feel like this book could be a great movie with all the beautiful descriptions and sounds that were described throughout it.
The second book alternates between Iris and Malina, and while both were told in first person it wasn't difficult to differentiate the two personalities. It was pleasant to see Malina finally find her voice and be able to protect those she loved, instead of the other way around.
The romance kind of takes a turn that I wasn't expecting for Iris and it disappointed me a lit
Rachel
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Real rating: 1.5 stars? I'm somewhere between not liking it and thinking it was just okay. It had its moments but overall, the story felt so scattered. Plus the imagery the author was trying to conjure up didn't work for me either. So disappointing because I really enjoyed the first book.
Cabiria Aquarius
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ever since reading Wicked Like a Wildfire (with a friend) we both went crazy and needed book two stat. It’s so well written and this one as well and got crazier and so many things are brought to life. You understand book two. It’s such a wild ride and oh goodness me. I couldn’t put it down. So well done and I... I need more. But alas that be it. Thank you for a wonderful journey Ms. Popović.
Mere
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: june-books
More like a 2.5 rating. I didn't like the first half of the book at all. I found it atrociously boring. Of course, as with the first, I loved the writing and the descriptions. This book lacked cohesiveness, plot, any driving force, continuity, and interesting characters.

I just felt all the characters in this book pale in comparison to them in the first book. I just didn't enjoy this one all that much until we got towards the end of the book. But by then I was lost and no longer invested in the b
Victoria Moschou
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Nothing but love was ever free, and often not even that."
~Fierce Like A Firestorm, by Lana Popović

I read Wicked Like A Wildfire last year, I fell in love with the story and the characters and when I found out that the sequel was coming out this summer, I just had to read it! 💜

Yet again, technically speaking, this book was filled with beautiful, long descriptions, both of this world and another, otherworldly handsome dimension. It was lyrical and so very unique in its own way, that it made me c
Mija
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5ish

Well, that took a long time for some reason? I mean because if school, but I read a bunch of other books in the time since I started this one?

Anyway, I did enjoy it. I didn't care that much for the characters, to be honest, although I did appreciate them becoming better people. Their arcs were well done.

I didn't like Fjolar because I liked Luka for Iris, but honestly I liked how that storyline ended. (In fact, the ending was overall pretty satisfactory, except for Jovan which was unnece
Regina
"Wicked like a Wildfire" was a really pleasant surprise for me and I still love Popović's lush purple prose, the characters and the magic system but I have no idea why this sequel even exists. I can believe Popović had the basic plot idea from the start, yet she makes nothing of it. The main plotline and villain are weirdly sidelined, as if he's needed as this threat but otherwisely irrelevant.

That wouldn't be so bad if the book had character development or focused on the romance but there isn't
Savannah Holland
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
UR ALL COWARDS FOR NOT LOVING THIS BOOK. LANA POPOVIC IS A GENIUS TALENTED BEAUTIFUL AND BRUTAL ANGEL. HER ATMOSPHERE IS UNPARALLELED, HER PROSE ARE STUNNING, HER CHARACTERS ARE BEAUTIFUL TERRIBLE DISASTERS. EVERYONE READ THIS SERIES
- This book is all my kinks wrapped up in a perfect lil box 😭
- the prose are fucking insane
- the world is inventive
- kissing death??? Yes pls
- perfectly messy and bittersweet ending
- the lesbians thrive
Miriam
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Not what I expected - or hoped for, for that matter...
The first half was a boring (okay, boring is a harsh word, maybe dull), filled with minimum plot and waaay to much scenic description, especially for me, who has a lot of trouble visioning those types of descriptions in my head. Of course the language was beautifully lyrical, but when the plot first really starts at the 150 page mark, the language really is irrelevant...
So sad, when I liked the first book a lot
Paula Clapon
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was just perfect! Exceptionally well-written, I loved the character development. A magical book, emotional and astonishing.
Booklepuff
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Josie Jaffrey
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Kristy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an action packed conclusion to this mini series - much faster paced than the first book. It had the same poetic prose, which I enjoyed, as well as a look into some fantastical worlds. The ending was a bit chaotic, as the logic of all the magic and gods and willpower all became a bit befuddled without any real clear boundaries, but I still found it entertaining. Would definitely read more from this author.
Megan
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first, but still a good sequel. I appreciate the complexity of the world the author built. I also like that the characters grew in this second story and explored some difficult realities. Still worth reading, just could have moved a bit faster. 3.5 stars
Sheila
I didn't enjoy this sequel as much as the first book, but I find Popović's writing to be very comforting. Lush, sensory writing was something I needed for the end of this brutal February, and this delivered. Montenegro is still on my top 5 list of countries I absolutely need to visit!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Men and Monsters (Nightfall, #2)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
  • Diamond & Dawn (Amber & Dusk, #2)
  • Witches of Ash and Ruin
  • Given to the Earth (Given Duet, #2)
  • The Winter Duke
  • Mist, Metal, and Ash (Ink, Iron and Glass, #2)
  • Winterwood
  • The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • The Antidote
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower (Rise of the Empress #2.5)
  • Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • No Good Deed
  • Fire & Heist
Lana Popović's debut YA contemporary fantasy, WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE, was published by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins in August 2017. Lana studied psychology and literature at Yale University, and law at Boston University. She is a graduate of the Emerson College Publishing and Writing program and works as a literary agent with Chalberg & Sussman, specializing in YA.

She lives in Boston, subsi

Hibiscus Daughter (2 books)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)