Start by marking “Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fierce Like a Firestorm (Hibiscus Daughter, #2)

Fierce Like a Firestorm

(Hibiscus Daughter #2)

In the bewitching conclusion to Lana Popovic’s sumptuous and romantic teen fantasy duology, Malina must use her gleam to rescue her twin sister from a magical power more dangerous than Death.

Twin sisters Iris and Malina thought they knew how to reverse the ancient curse that haunts their line, the spell that destines them to use their gleams—unique forms of beauty-manipula
Published August 21st 2018 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Fierce Like a Firestorm, please sign up.

Kate
Oct 17, 2017 marked it as to-read
This cover is giving me hearts in my eyes.
Megan Derr
Mar 27, 2018 marked it as need-to-buy

Re-ordered! Very excited, loved the first one.

------

Amazon just canceled my pre-order of the hardback out of the blue, and only the kindle is still available to buy. But I can find nothing about why. It's very strange.
Tiffany
Mar 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Anyway we can get an advance copy of this. :-) I just finished Wicked like a Wildfire and I must know how this ends!!!
Cindee
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book I liked how it was written I liked the relationships between the characters the romance and everything else. I really liked the characters even more than before they have grown so much more I especially liked Iris and Melina and the relationship between Lina and Niko it was so beautifully written. I really liked the story with Iris being stuck somewhere else and Lina doing anything she can to find her and the story just got more interesting from there. So overall I loved ...more
Jenny
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn't like this one quite as much as the first. I did like the magical world of Death, that was pretty cool, but otherwise not a lot seemed to be happening until the end. The writing is still beautiful, though, and I love the two sisters. I really wanted more Luka in this one though!
Shima
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I probably have, but at the moment I can't remember reading any other book that took as long to pick up as this one. The first half of this book, if not more, is basically descriptions of Iris and Fjolar in their kingdom of wonder. OOow look! The sky's filled with moons here. An infinite waterfall. A toxic garden. A ginormous tree.
Now I'm not even one of those readers who are opposed to sensory descriptions. It was what I loved about Wicked Like a Wildfire in the first place. But.NOT.This.Much.
Breanna
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
this book took a turn for the worse and went downhill real fast after that.

(view spoiler)
Jackie (No Bent Spines)
Dec 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018
Give it to me
Jalilah
Sorry to say, but this is a rather disappointing follow up to the first one Wicked Like a Wildfire.
I am giving it 3 stars for the authors imagination, lush descriptions and mostly perhaps because I liked the first book so much. Although the author's magic did not completely make sense to me in the first book, it did not matter because the magic was only simmering under the surface most of the time. What made the book was the setting in a village by the sea surrounded by mountains Montenegro. Wh
Anniek
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
As much as I enjoyed the first book in this duology, this was a letdown for me. While it was imaginative, it didn't live up to its potential, mostly because hardly anything happened throughout the entire book.
Anne-Wil
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I’m not entirely sure about this book. It took me a while to get into, some kind of summary (especially with an intricate story like this) would have been nice. Once I got into it, I could follow it. However, the story didn’t have a hold on me like the previous book had. I mostly finished it because I wanted to know how it would end, not because I really enjoyed the story. It also got a bit of an open ending, which I don’t like.
Still, I gave three stars, because wow what an imagination you have
Danielle
Aug 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I desperately need books to give us some kind of summary/reminder as to what happened in the previous novel. I read Wicked like a Wildfire a year ago and was anticipating the second book. I’m of an age now where finding time to read is a luxury and rereading ahead of publication is not something I want to dedicate a lot of time to. Trying to move back into this world felt exhausting in a few pages – as others have said, at times the text is flowery and the pacing slow. So I DNF.
Victoria Moschou
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Nothing but love was ever free, and often not even that."~Fierce Like A Firestorm, by Lana Popović

I read Wicked Like A Wildfire last year, I fell in love with the story and the characters and when I found out that the sequel was coming out this summer, I just had to read it! 💜

Yet again, technically speaking, this book was filled with beautiful, long descriptions, both of this world and another, otherworldly handsome dimension. It was lyrical and so very unique in its own way, that it made me cr
M
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5ish

Well, that took a long time for some reason? I mean because if school, but I read a bunch of other books in the time since I started this one?

Anyway, I did enjoy it. I didn't care that much for the characters, to be honest, although I did appreciate them becoming better people. Their arcs were well done.

I didn't like Fjolar because I liked Luka for Iris, but honestly I liked how that storyline ended. (In fact, the ending was overall pretty satisfactory, except for Jovan which was unnece
Booklepuff
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Josie Jaffrey
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Megan
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite as good as the first, but still a good sequel. I appreciate the complexity of the world the author built. I also like that the characters grew in this second story and explored some difficult realities. Still worth reading, just could have moved a bit faster. 3.5 stars
Mandy Anderson
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it

I started out enjoying the multiple perspectives in this book, but Malina’s really lacked for me. Her character development was rushed and only happened towards the last 50 or so pages which was frustrating.
However with all that being said, I did enjoy the book.
Paula Clapon
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was just perfect! Exceptionally well-written, I loved the character development. A magical book, emotional and astonishing.
Mira
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It took me several days to write this review; not because the book was bad or I didn’t enjoy it, but I was so invested in the story that some of the author’s decisions broke my heart and I needed some time to get some objectivity, perspective, and calm down enough to think about the events without sending ten texts to my boyfriend about how sad I am.

So, prepare yourselves.

It was an excellent follow-up to Wicked like a Wildfire, with all the same beautiful language and a deepening of the magic in
Brianna
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The writing was just as beautiful as the first book. I can't say that this one captured me as much as thr first did, but it was stillna wonder to read.
Andy Kornylo
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
See full review for Fierce Like a Firestorm at: https://toomanybooksnotenoughshelves....

This book took me way too long to read, and I’m guessing that the reason it did was because the concept with fractuals and magic and spells just got to be too confusing. There were moments that I went and did everything else just so that I wouldn’t read this book. But I knew at some point I had to finish it, and when I finally sat down and focused on it I was able to kind of understand it. Iris ‘died’ in the
June
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was good, but not as beautiful as Wicked Like a Wildfire. It may be because a half of this book is written from Malina's perspective, but even the Iris's chapters were toned down. I wonder if that's because some people criticized the previous book for having too much description. Whether it's true or not, I could see this book is easier to read to many people than the first book.
However, I missed the overwhelming beauty of the first book, which swept me off my feet, which made me feel
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
FIERCE LIKE A FIRESTORM is an incredible follow-up to Lana Popović’s debut, WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE. Bursting with gorgeous prose and stunning characters, the duology is truly magical and one of the best series I’ve had the privilege of reading.

Set in Montenegro, the series introduces readers to twins Malina and Iris. The two live with their mother and de-facto Grandfather in Cattaro, hidden from the rest of the world due to their gleam --- magical abilities that make them alluring and beautiful.
Maja
So it would have been hard for me to love this as much as I loved the first one, given the sheer magnitude of my feelings about it; in terms of style, plot, character arc, and taking the story to a decent conclusion, it definitely does a decent to great job, across the board. I enjoyed it as a story, and I appreciated seeing what became of the girls, and I loved getting Malina's POV, and I REALLY love that it complicated our understanding of who the antagonist was and what the problem was from t ...more
Leonie Byrne
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have come to the conclusion recently that sequels tend to be disappointing. I'm happy to say that this is not the case with Fierce Like a Firestorm.
I absolutely fell in love with Wicked Like a Wildfire last year. It really drew me in with its magic, folklore and the beautiful setting of Montenegro. After the revelations of book one, Fierce Like a Firestorm was one of my most highly anticipated books of this year.
As usual when reviewing a sequel I won't include any spoilers for this book but
Amanda
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
This did not disappoint. All the beauty of the first one was here and the story didn't let up. Iris and Malina have been separated after trying to break the curse on their family. They have to learn to rely on themselves without leaning on each other all the time. The cast of characters is fairly large, and the intricate family tree can be daunting, but the author does a fantastic job weaving it all together in a way that's not overwhelming. The visuals you get are gorgeous! I really enjoyed the ...more
Lyrand
Sep 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
I loved the first book. I absolutely loved it. I waited anxiously for a whole year for this.

I cannot even adequately express my disappointment right now. I applaud the writing, but oh my God, I cannot with the romance.
This had a very specific pet peeve of mine in it plus its own delightful spin on it that ruined the entire book for me.
This is a completely personal opinion and my emotions are running high, because I just finished it but the romance made zero sense to me in this book. It was like
Jamie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i can't believe it's over.

the dynamic differences between Malina and Iris are echoed through every part of this book. i think my heart broke at every other chapter over what they had to sacrifice or push through so they could save so much more than themselves.
I can't say im surprised that the two most volatile women feel like they need to leave to save the others in the end but it doesn't hurt any less that after all they accomplished they still don't feel at peace or at home with their own ki
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Lana Popović's debut YA contemporary fantasy, WICKED LIKE A WILDFIRE, was published by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins in August 2017. Lana studied psychology and literature at Yale University, and law at Boston University. She is a graduate of the Emerson College Publishing and Writing program and works as a literary agent with Chalberg & Sussman, specializing in YA.

She lives in Boston, s

Hibiscus Daughter (2 books)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)