Start by marking “The Tide (The Tide, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Tide (The Tide, #1)

The Tide

(The Tide #1)

Captain Dominic Holland leads a crew of skilled covert operatives and talented scientific personnel. He’s taken them to all corners of the earth to protect the United States from biological and chemical warfare. When his CIA handler, Meredith Webb, gives him a mission to investigate a disturbing lead on a laboratory based out of an abandoned oil rig, they discover the most ...more
Published October 11th 2015 by Thunderbird Media (first published September 2nd 2015)

Start your review of The Tide (The Tide, #1)
Zain
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Feel My Heart. It’s Beating Fast 🫀

On board his technical ship, The Huntress, Captain Dominic Holland and his team of covert operatives are sent on a secret mission: Investigate the abandoned oil rig, located in the middle of the sea.

The oil rig contains a genetic lab. Now, the “human” inhabitants have become genetically modified by their malfeasance.

The “people” are now monstrosities, capable of attacking and killing anyone and anything.

Ripping people to shreds and eating them, becomes a bette
L. McCoy
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Guys... this is how an apocalyptic horror story is done.

What’s it about?
In WW2 a bio weapon was created, that bio weapon turns people into bloodthirsty monsters (not zombies) that mutate into inhuman creatures (this makes more sense in the book). Now, in modern day that weapon is unleashed and a potentially apocalyptic outbreak starts.

Pros:
The story is interesting and very well written. I would say that out of the apocalyptic horror stuff I’ve read this is probably one of the most well written o
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
This is probably the creepiest Anthony Melchiorri book I've read yet - and I've read all of them except two. It's pretty much a biomedical twist on a zombie / pre-dystopian theme. I have to say I really enjoyed it; it was well-written and almost scarily believable. It looks like it's the first in a series, based on the ending, so I'll be gleefully looking forward to the next installment to find out what happens next.

A free advance copy was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest r
Miriam  on hiatus
4 stars audio
3.5 confusing start because of too many characters stars story.
Bon Tom
Mar 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is very good book. Quite addictive at that, and now I'm going to read all 8 books for sure. It's very action oriented, it's like action movie in your head, which isn't 100% to my taste. However, contrary to what usually happens in those situations (me getting lost, now knowing who does something to whom), this book delivers action in manner that makes it very easy to visualize because the scenes seem to have natural, logical flow. This genre can't work without characters that are easy to li ...more
Ellen
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopi
I have read The Extinction Cycle-books by Nicholas Sansbury Smith, and that somewhat ruined the reading experience for me. The Tide is really well written, and if I had read Melchiorri before Sansbury Smith, it would easily have gotten four stars from me. They are so similar! Zombie-like apocalypse and the heroes are soldiers.

The zombies, Skulls, as they call them, are hyper active, does not give up, runs like hell to get hold of its prey and kill it. It looks as if there is no hope at all for
Patty
Great Zombie read.

It's got covert Ops. Former CIA agents, specializing in disease control. Biological weapons. Daughters who can defend themselves against zombies. And a dog who wrestles with death probably the most.

It was fantastic.
I'd continue the series, as it ends on a cliffhanger with some unresolved story line. Definitely want to continue finding out more about the cause and cure for this epidemic.
AudioBookReviewer
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My original The Tide audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

It started in 1944 with Japanese Unit 731 and came to life in the present. (If you don’t know what Unit 731 is look it up. It was a real unit in the Japanese military.)

Dom Holland and his Hunters were a private dark ops. unit. They were hired by Meridith Webb to discover if there was a bio threat on an oil platform in the North Atlantic. Meridith worked at the CIA. It was her duty to investigate bio-tech thr
Loretta
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Tide is a story of courage, strength and determination against an unbelievable odds. The Tide explores the trials of Captain Dominic Holland and his team, Ex CIA Meredith Webb and others as they face the most horrifying biological agent known to man.

I really enjoyed this story as the storyline was fast paced, the chacters were well written and the monsters were scary. Just the way I like my zombie type books. The writing was gripping and had me devouring the book post haste. Overall I am giv
David Dalton
Darn! Another pretty good zombie type series to get caught up in. A different approach to the zombie/end of the world. I was slowing down on zombie books (other than the Arisen series) but the cover and book description caught my eye and I was hooked. Nice and creep and deadly. I am looking forward to the 2nd book in this series.
Erth
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
Aletia
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't even articulate how caught up I got in this book! It's like there is no breathing room for these characters! It's Go Go Go! I'm thankful to know book #2 is being prepared for release.

Thanks Nicholas Sansbury Smith for the heads up on this!
Yvonne
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
10/23/2020: Re-read

Very exciting book 1.
I've been desperate for another sci-fi, military, zombie, end of the world series since finishing the Joe Ledger books and I'm so happy to have found this author. Doubly happy that it was great and that women play as big a part kicking ass as the men.
Ryan Dickey
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
There wasn't a single second where I felt bored during this book!!! Loved it! ...more
Jen
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
A fun read, one that was more intelligent than your average zombie genre book. I appreciated the fleshed our side characters and the pacing.
Joshua Knutson
May 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good

First book from this author I’ve read and so far this series is good, I’ll continue on to book two.
Alexander Rose
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining Action-Thriller with some Problematic Aspects

tl;dr: Entertaining if you don't think too hard about it.

The Good: This story is right in my wheelhouse, it seems. Sci-fi/horror overlap, right?

​It is fun. It reads like the plot of a video game. The main bads are zombies of the fast, mean, and hard to kill variety. The protags are all stone cold badasses, even the teenage girls, which lends it that video game feel. It's the sort of world where a shotgun and a stiff upper lip is enough t
Camilla Hansen
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror-ish, zombies
Despite some negligence on the part of fleshing out people, both individual personalities beyond names as well as nationalities, it redeemed itself and regained my interest trough its scientific focus - which probably is helped by the author having a PhD in bioengineering.

I don't know if I can say it's unique in its angle on a zombie like infection spreading nor in its origin story of it. But it gives much more attention to the infection itself than most of the genre I've encountered, which is
Ralph Wark
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I got this through the Kindle lending library and bought the audio book to listen on my Echo, so I chip away at it a bit at a time, while cooking or whatever. I remember very little about this book, couldn't even name a character. The plot a little I suppose. It starts of on an interesting note, scientists in Imperial Japan develop a superbug at the end of WWII to anticipate the invasion of their island. They don't have a big part but man, are they bitter. So bitter. Clang to present day, becaus ...more
PJ Lea
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies, thriller
I liked that we were given the origins for the virus and the very creepy reasons for it being developed. It led really well into the main body of the story.
A twisted take on the usual zombies with the bony plating, making them a formidable enemy. Pretty much non-stop action along with medical situations as they try to find a solution. The characters are all well thought out and believable, with the children giving the story a little extra reality.
Great read and more than worth the price.
Disclaim
Geoff
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 out of 4.
I'll certainly read the sequel.
So many military horror things are obviously written by people with little to no idea of military procedure.
This is not one of them.
Either loads of research or some experience is obvious.
Nikki
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Hmmmm
Eliot
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I listen to fiction at the gym as i cant take notes. Zombies?!? Not sure what i was thinking. Muzak is more interesting.
BookLoversLife
Review to come.
Joanne
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts in WWII, with a scene from Island 731 (or Unit 731). This is an actual place where the Japanese experimented on people and worked on developing chemical and biological weapons. There are non-fiction books about Island 731 that discuss what happened there, and I recommend reading one, but prepare to be horrified.

Then we fast forward to the present. A CIA (Marilyn) operative sent a team of mercenaries to find out what happened on an oil drilling platform in the Atlantic ocean tha
Josh Levine
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a series recommended in by another author I am a huuge fan of, and needless to say I am quickly becoming a big fan of Tony as well. This is the second series he has written that I have had the pleasure of listening to (The first was Eternal Frontier).

I won't go into a typical review-style summary of what happened in the book but will tell you what drew me in. The science. I came into this story knowing that Tony holds a PhD in Bioengineering and let me tell ya, it showed in this story.
Ziggy Nixon
4 stars. Good fun. And if you're like me and you need a regular dose of hardcore, military-grade, kick-butt action with an overdose of adrenaline-driven monster killin' to boot, well, this will be right in your wheelhouse.

And let's be blunt: it's a LOT like what you'd enjoy from the great and powerful wizard, Nicholas Sansbury Smith's books, ranging from his amazing "Extinction Cycle" series on through to the on-going top-notch "Hell Divers" collection. In fact, I have no problem admitting that
Myste
Apr 24, 2022 rated it did not like it
DNF - I tried twice, over a month apart to get through this book, and just couldn't.

First of all, it was extremely difficult to follow. There were always new characters being introduced, then dying, then being replaced, then more dying, then being replaced again -- I couldn't remember them before they were killed or disappeared from the story, and it made for a frustrating read.

Second, the book was written like a play-by-play of an action movie. Everything was very straightforward and overly ex
Cody Wolfe
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Let me preface this review by saying I absolutely love the “post-apocalyptic” genre. As cheesy as it is, I’ll reference the cliche... They’re like sex. When they’re good, they’re great and when they’re bad, they’re still pretty good.

So I gave this book 4 stars. To be honest, I wish I could’ve given it 3.5 but in situations like that, I almost always round up. Really wish they’d move to a 1-10 ranking system but oh well.

To keep it short and sweet... The best thing I can say about this book is t
BookzBookzBookz
The Tide, by Anthony Melchiorri, is the telling of the end of the world. A chemical compound, created by the Japanese during WWI, has somehow managed to be float across the ocean. Believable, I guess, but what happens next is pretty horrific and make for the opener for what I’m expecting to be a huge series.\

When a CIA agent receives information, concerning a facility that could possibly contain a bio-chemical agent, she recruits Captain Dom Holland and his elite operatives. They send in a team
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Blind Rage (Under the Breaking Sky #1)
  • The Infection (The Infection, #1)
  • The Old Man and the End of the World: Book One: Things Fall Apart
  • Sanctum (Slow Burn #9)
  • Grind (Slow Burn #8)
  • Hell Divers (Hell Divers #1)
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • City of Stin (Slow Burn #7)
  • Bleed (Slow Burn #6)
  • Torrent (Slow Burn, #5)
  • The Becoming (The Becoming, #1)
  • Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)
  • Dead Fire (Slow Burn, #4)
  • The Jakarta Pandemic (Alex Fletcher, #1)
  • Destroyer (Slow Burn, #3)
  • The Fourth Phase (Extinction New Zealand #2)
  • Infected (Slow Burn, #2)
  • Zero Day (Slow Burn, #1)
See top shelves…
Anthony J Melchiorri is a scientist with a PhD in bioengineering. Originally from the Midwest, he now lives in Texas. By day, he develops cellular therapies and 3D-printable artificial organs. By night, he writes apocalyptic, medical, and science-fiction thrillers that blend real-world research with other-worldly possibility. When he isn't in the lab or at the keyboard, he spends his time running, ...more

The Tide (10 books)
  • Breakwater (The Tide, #2)
  • Salvage (The Tide, #3)
  • Deadrise (The Tide, #4)
  • Iron Wind (The Tide, #5)
  • Dead Ashore (The Tide, #6)
  • Ghost Fleet (The Tide, #7)
  • Devil to Pay (The Tide #8)
  • Dry Gallows (The Tide #9)
  • Final Surge (The Tide, #10)