Start by marking “The Diary of River Song: Series 1” as Want to Read:
The Diary of River Song: Series 1

The Diary of River Song: Series 1

(The Diary of River Song #1)

An epic four-hour adventure that takes River Song across space and time, seeking out the secret rulers of the universe.

1. The Boundless Sea by Jenny T Colgan

Drawn out of self-imposed academic exile by an archelological dig, River crosses paths with British Consul Bertie Potts - leading to a secret buried in a lost tomb...

2. I Went to a Marvellous Party b/>2./>1.
Audio CD
Published December 25th 2015 by Big Finish Productions

David
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beg, borrow, buy or steal it. You'll love it.

If you're a fan of the Doctor Who TV show you simply have to hear these audio plays!

Note to self:
Relisten
Idris
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved it, loved it, loved it.
Stephen Robert Collins
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't get people saying that these disc are 'audio Books' they are not & never have been in print.
These are plays done on audio using Doctor Who universe as their theme written for audio plays with sound effects but not books they not be the same these years ago where mostly for blind people but to day everybody can enjoy them too.
River Song is back she is enjoying sulking in 1920s but she just cannot get away from aliens then it's off to a party that's been going on & on for
Magdalena
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
That was so good. Exactly this River I wanted to get to know better, space parties, ancient tombs, feminism, and cosmic freemasonry. Also the Doctor but not the one you expect and mysterious alien threat. Perfection.
Alexandra
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first audio book and it was because of Tansy. I feel there are a lot of people who say things like that.

Did anyone else think that the music was distinctly James Bond-ish? I got a really strong Bond vibe from it.

I have no idea whether this is standard Big Finish format, so for those not in the know: there are four 1-hour long interconnected stories. It begins with River Song having taken a position as an archeology professor (of course) who rather reluctantly g
Mel
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
Listened again this week and still just as good. I think the 2nd time around I preferred the 3rd and 4th stories the most as knowing what was actually going on gave them an added dimension. They are all wonderful though. Can't wait for the next volume.

I was really looking forward to hearing this and it didn't disappoint. River here was finally much more like the early version of herself in the library. I loved the characterisation, Competent, Clever, Funny but less of the cartoon she became in
Luke  East
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
River Song, that mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a ballgown, travelling through time and space, was last seen on our screens in the 2015 Christmas Special 'The Husbands of River Song'. This particular boxset takes place some time after her last on-screen adventure (She's River, it's timey-wimey, who knows!).

Boy-oh-boy does this boxset deliver.

This series is a master-stroke from Big Finish. I know I've been a little slow to pick-up the new series Big Finish release
Richard Harrison
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
River has never been my favourite character as she comes across as terribly smug a lot of the time. I prefer when they play up the tragedy of the character and the fact that she spent a good portion of her life as a psychopath.

The first two stories in this collection were rather forgettable and not a great use of River as a character so probably worth 3 out of 5 stars. The second two, however, were excellent and easily worth 6 out of 5 stars. Bonus points for Paul McGann and Alexande
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was so worried about that Mr. Song and about her meeting eight but big finish managed to make things happen the right way! this could just be SO canon!
And Alex Kingston is just the best! :D
Great River Song lines, loved them. Canonical as well!
Steven
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spoilers.
Jamie Revell
River Song is not really my favourite character from Nu Who, seeming in some respects like a knock-off of Bernice Summerfield who manages to be more irritating than interesting. But she certainly has her fans, and here she gets her own series of spin-off tales, with a set of four stories linked by a single plot arc. There’s a sense of a struggle here, particularly in the first two episodes, to make this a distinctly ‘River Song’ collection, although that does manage to come through by the end. F ...more
TheSmilingDragon
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This audio drama box set is the first series in the River Song spin-off from Big Finish Productions and is comprised of four connected stories and behind the scenes featurette.

Disc 1. The Boundless Sea by Jenny T Colgan ⭐⭐⭐
In the first story River helps to solve a mystery at an archaeological dig in the early 19th century having exiled herself there.

Whilst an interesting concept I felt that the story dragged in places and I wish that it had been made clearer as to
Yosef Shapiro
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are a lot of gaps in River's backstory that need to be filled in. This collection, to me, is of varying levels of enjoyment. The second two stories were better than the first two.

The first story, The Boundless Sea , is a basic locked tomb/pyramid type of story, with a sci-fi twist. It is only an average story.

The second story, I Went to a Marvellous Party , is a murder mystery reminiscent of Agatha Christie. But, not too original.

The third story, Signs , is a very good story
Nea
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Whovians
This, for once, is a really easy one: if you're a Whovian and you enjoyed River and her story arc on the show, or if you're a fan of Alex Kingstons, Alexander Vlahos or Paul McGanns you should definitely pick it up.

River Song has lost non of her charms (or sass or cunning) here, the writing and delivery is spot on all around and while the story itself takes a little time to come into its own, once it does: oh boy, you're in for a ride.

So yeah: Go. Get it. Listen to it.
Kelly McCubbin
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The whole is definitely greater than the sum of it's parts here as the individual stories don't always completely hold together, but by the end, it feels of a real piece and that River has been well served.
You can feel Alex Kingston gathering steam as these things go on and she is just delightful.
Mary
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
I have never been a big fan of books on cd because they mostly put me to sleep. However this is an audio drama and it is like listening to a show without watching it. I loved it. Currently I am listening to River Songs Diary series two. I think I'm addicted.
Abhijith R
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing story from the most badass character in whonivers! Love it ❤
Sativa
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Exactly what I wanted it to be.
Kathrina
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just had eye surgery. This is a lifesaver!
April Mccaffrey
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great relisten of the diary of river song boxset series 1. I love her theme tune and Alex Vlahos was a great addition to the set.
Steven
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
First 2 parts are mediocre; second 2 parts are excellent.
Laura Naysmith
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a bit of a River Song fangirl and have always wanted a spin-off TV show but this is the next best thing, actually this is better than a TV show as none of the stories have been written by Stephen Moffat because, lets face it, the vast majority of the River stories have been needlessly complicated and so integral to the plot lines that as such they have not really been able to delve into the times when she doesn't hang out with the Doctor. The audio dramas let her out of his shadow and have a ...more
Aidan
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A rather wonderful collection of stories from Big Finish, each featuring the character of River Song and linking together to form a wider narrative.

The opening story was the least successful of the four for me. In part this is thanks to a setting that just feels overly familiar at this point and a monster that didn't set my imagination on fire. For what it's worth, I also think this is the least well performed story in the set and was surprised at how one-note and dry River feels com
Alan
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it
For me a large part of the Big Finish audiobooks is the full cast audio, and the performers that they utilize. While I might be in the minority, I have enjoyed Alex Kingston's portrayal of River Song on Dr. Who, and as she was performing in this book I elected to give it a shot.

Considering the book's length I think it would be more appropriately deemed a novella, and one that would most interest Dr. who or River Song fans. The overall story borrows much from the Russell Davis and Ste
Debra Cook
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
Shelves: audiobooks
1.) River is sent to check an archaeological site to see where a missing student has disappeared to. While she investigates she gets a invitation to a party.

2.) While at the party River runs into one of the guys from the dig. River also stumbles onto a murder and tries to find the murderer who also wants to kill more people.

3.) River is dying from helping to save a planet from a spore destructive ship. Her husband by her side they travel around to save more people from th
Diane
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much about this was wonderful.

The third story lost me for a bit. Though it was acted beautifully, it took me two listens to understand what was happening. I think the transition from the second story to the third is what lost me. It was like something huge had happened between them and I had no idea what it was. By the end, all is explained.

The fourth was the best. I'm loving the eighth doctor stories more and more, and having River included was extremely exciting and
Craig Andrews
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doctor-who
I'm so far behind on Big Finish audios it's likely I'll never catch up. The new series they're doing set in, after and during the current TV series though proved to be a great jumping on point. This series of four, hour long audios featuring River Song does not disappoint. There's some very very clever stories in there including a historical, a murder mystery, a truly amazing two-hander with Sam West and a galaxy in peril 'season finale' featuring none other than McGann's 8th Doctor. The last on ...more
H.K.
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm without words on how to review this other than I absolutely loved it, and find it one of the best Audio books I have listened to. River was spot on River, and it was so good to follow her with another adventure. I've been wanting River to meet the Eighth Doctor for so long, and I never thought they'd do it, but here it happened and it was perfect, and I was so happy they met! Can't wait to listen to the next River Song adventure from Big Finish.
Chrissy
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this so, so much!! I kept postponing finishing it - not because I wasn't enjoying the stories, but because I feared it was going to be the last River Song adventure...The Diary of River Song 2 has been announced, so I finally finished it and loved every second! Must 'read' (listen!) for River fans and adventurous Whovians!
Michael Ryan Pillado
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Diary of River Song was a different experience, but still it maintains the aura Doctor Who fans are very familiar. The meeting between the Eighth Doctor and River Song is another strong point. It showed a different tandem between her and the Doctor. Definitely worthy to get a sequel.

• Doctor Who: Dark Eyes
  • Doctor Who: Blood of the Daleks, Part 2
  • Doctor Who: Hunters of Earth (Destiny of the Doctor, #1)
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part Two
  • Doctor Who: Scherzo
  • Doctor Who: Immortal Beloved
  • Doctor Who: Seasons of Fear
  • Doctor Who: The One Doctor
  • Doctor Who: Neverland
  • Doctor Who: Death's Deal (Destiny of the Doctor, #10)
  • Doctor Who: Night of the Whisper (Destiny of the Doctor #9)
  • Doctor Who: Terror Firma
  • Doctor Who: Davros
  • Doctor Who: Spare Parts
  • Doctor Who: Horror of Glam Rock
  • Doctor Who: Dust Breeding
  • Doctor Who: Caerdroia
  • Doctor Who and the Pirates
Jenny T. Colgan is a pseudonym of author Jenny Colgan.

Jenny Colgan is the author of numerous bestselling novels, including 'The Little Shop of Happy Ever After' and 'Summer at the Little Beach Street Bakery', which are also published by Sphere.' Meet Me at the Cupcake Café' won the 2012 Melissa Nathan Award for Comedy Romance and was a Sunday Times Top Ten bestseller, as was 'Welcome to Rosie Ho

The Diary of River Song (6 books)
  • The Diary of River Song: Series 2