Start by marking “With Malice” as Want to Read:
With Malice

Read Book

With Malice

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  8,469 Ratings  ·  1,703 Reviews
It was the perfect trip…until it wasn’t.

Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last six weeks should be. She discovers she was involved in a fatal car accident while on a school trip in Italy. A trip she doesn’t even remember taking. She was jetted home by her affluent father in order
Published June 7th 2016 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about With Malice, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Manca I was sooo mad at the ending tbh it just made me dislike Jill a lot. I didn't think her reasoning for the crash was entirely justified. But I think…moreI was sooo mad at the ending tbh it just made me dislike Jill a lot. I didn't think her reasoning for the crash was entirely justified. But I think Simone was too shocked to grab the wheel 🤔(less)
Lauren (No spoilers here)

(No spoilers here)

There is a moderate dose of profanity in the book, maybe around ten uses of f***, s***, b****, and a few uses of religious exclamations. As for sexual content, the novel centers around an incident that potentially involved a sexual relationship between two characters, and it is discussed throughout the novel. There's nothing overly graphic described, but many references to whether one character slept with another. There are also instances of typical high school trash talk usually between minor characters involving negative sexual terms (slut, whore, etc.).

I would like to note that most nearly all of the language and sexual content is relevant to the plot and was somewhat necessary in order to convey the reality of the events. Due to the themes and content of the novel, I'd suggest an age minimum of fifteen/sixteen, though it may vary from person to person.(less)

Emily May
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Two pretty girls, an exotic foreign location, mystery as to why I did it, and the potential for revenge and jealousy to be the cause. It didn’t matter what the truth was — what mattered was that it was fun to talk about.

3 1/2 stars. I'm not going to pretend With Malice is perfect or a game-changer. It's nothing but a fast-paced, page-turning YA thriller. But - what can I say - I just had so much fun reading it.

This is a mystery/thriller clearly based on the Amanda Knox trial. Jill Charron wake
Lola
Jun 22, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I cannot help but shake my head and smile at that ending. I don’t like it, I love it. I hoped the author would go there, and she did, so I am a satisfied reader for the most part.

Don’t get me wrong, my guessing the ending did not come immediately after starting the story. Eileen Cook transmits us four to five ideas—if not more—to what could have happened to Simone, who died in a car accident, supposedly.

But was it really an accident?

With Malice is an intriguing mystery/thriller novel
Wendy Darling
Good thrillers are few and far between--and they're even scarcer in YA. This one has the heroine lying in a hospital bed for almost the entire book, and yet it manages to be full of suspense.

It features: characters who reveal their true natures gradually, a slower but well-paced plot, and methodical police/legal/medical procedures. (Obviously it takes some liberties, but enough ground work is laid to satisfy the inexpert reader.) These elements all fit neatly together into an entertaining puzzl
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I had not heard of this book until I requested one of the Buzz Books from Netgalley. It was featured in that and I read a bit of it and realized that maybe it wasn't a cheap knock off of the books it's being compared too. 'For fans of We Were Liars and The Girl on the Train comes a chilling'...I hated both those books. Please I've said this before.......
Palm Springs commercial photography

Jill wakes up. Finds out she is in a hospital with a jacked up leg and stitches everywhere.
Palm Springs commercial photography
She then finds out that she took that trip to Italy
Deanna
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!!

mal·ice

Simple Definition of malice

: a desire to cause harm to another person

Full Definition of malice

1 :desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another
2 :intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse

Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up to what she thinks is the annoying sound of an alarm clock. However she quickly realizes she's in the hospital and it's the monitors she's attached to that are beeping. She has absolutely no idea why she
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
I really liked this book up until the end. I was sorely disappointed with the ending.
Ariel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well! This book took me for a spin! Never before has a book caused me so much unending stress.. but in a fun way where I just had to keep reading to try and find that sweet relief.
You wake up all groggy in a hospital bed in a state of confusion. You can’t remember why or how you got there. You realize you are in a lot of pain, but still can’t remember a damn thing. You are at the mercy of others to tell you what happened. Come to find out, you’ve been in an accident - one that killed your best friend. You were driving. And you have absolutely no memory of the last six weeks of your life (or more like of your best friend’s life) including that trip to Italy you were so exc ...more
Jennifer Masterson
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, audio
3.5 Stars for "With Malice". This book is NOT "Dangerous Girls". This book is not "Gone Girl". This book isn't even "The Good Girl"! If you are looking for a thrill ride on hyper speed go elsewhere, but, but, it's a descent little YA mystery! I wish it was marketed as such!

Jill wakes up in a hospital room with Aphasia. She can't remember what has happened in the past six weeks. She finds out that she and her best friend, Simone, had been in Italy. While they were in Italy they had been in a horr
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Full review found at https://thesuspenseisthrillingme.word...

Date Read: 05/14/16

Pub Date: 06/07/16

Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last 6 weeks should be. She comes to discover she was involved in a fatal accident while on a school trip in Italy three days previous but was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality care. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe
Sandra
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sandra by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Two best friends.
A trip to Italy.
An accident.
One girl injured.
The other one dead.
“Don’t you get it? Who we are is what comes out when shit goes bad . You can’t tell anything about a person when things are great. If you want to really know someone, be there when everything goes to hell.”

18-year old Jill wakes up in the hospital, with a broken leg, a concussion, and no recollection of what happened at all. The news that her best friend Simone was with her during the incident, but did not make
Sana
Nov 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF at page 58.

I have a right to DNF a book I can't find a fuck to give about. Life is too short to read shitty books. :))

My reason to DNF this book?
The main character. :))

Jill fucking Charron is such a bland, plain, and emotionless character.

Jill: *wakes up in a hospital room bruised and hurt*
Jill: I WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT???? *gasp* SO FUCKING SHOCKED!
Lawyer: We need to question you about your accident shit blah blah blah
Jill: -Oooh damn boy you're probably my dad's age, but you're fucking haw
Andie
Actual rating 4.5 stars

The synopsis really gripped me and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book! With Malice is an addictive, fast-paced YA mystery-thriller. There are so many variables and twists and turns that kept me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put the book down and ended up finishing in less than a day! Real life - what's that? There was no such thing till I turned that last page.

Jill wakes up in a hospital room with multiple wounds, unable to walk, and no recoll
Cait • A Page with a View
Ok this WAS interesting, but whaaaaat kind of ending was that?!

I almost DNFed this book in the first chapter when I couldn't stand the main character. But then the story really drew me in and I thought I liked her more. But the last 10% made her look ENTIRELY different and... seriously, what kind of end was that?! I almost want to take a star off for that disappointing finish.

The story starts with Jill waking up in a hospital having no memory of her trip to Italy. She slowly finds out that she
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
With Malice is a YA thriller that is both fun to read, and has a fantastic pay off once you reach the end of the story. The book follows 18-year-old Jill, who wakes up in the hospital to find that she has no memory of the previous six weeks of her life. She is informed that she has spent a portion of that time in Italy, with her best friend, and that she was involved in a fatal car accident. A car accident that people are telling her doesn't seem quite so accidental.
This book was a deeply inte
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bonnier Publishing and NetGalley.)

“You were in a car accident.”

This was a YA mystery story about a girl who couldn’t remember the car accident which almost killed her.

Jill was an okay character, although her amnesia was a bit frustrating. She did seem totally in the dark as to what had happened though, and truly believed that she couldn’t have crashed the car on purpose.

The storyline in this was ab
Zoeytron
This YA novel seems to hit a lot of the right notes. Best friends Jill and Simone are on a school sponsored trip to Italy. Jill is a bookworm, studious, with a great love of history. Simone is the life of the party, the daredevil, she is the cool kid without even having to try. As with any friendship, there is always one who backs down more quickly, one who gives in first, one who compromises more. The same holds true here.

Six weeks isn't really a very long time, but when you are only 18 and th
Natalie Monroe

"It doesn't matter what's true—what matters is what people believe."

With Malice shares a lot of similarities with Dangerous Girls. Two teenage girls go on vacation, a boy is the source of a lot of tension, and most importantly one girl is accused of murdering her best friend.

It puts its own spin on the female relationship-oriented narrative though. I would wager it's more realistic than Dangerous Girls because Jill and Simone aren't incestuously close—they're just really, really goo
Rose
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2016-favorites
OKAY. OKAY. OKAY. HEAVY BREATHING OVER HERE.

I got Gone Girl vibes.

I know, I know. Every new YA book is said to be 'the new Gone Girl' and what not, but this one reminded me of it a lot. Not the plot or outcome or anything really, just the viiibeezz, kay? I'm not making any sense, please ignore me lmao.

So, anyway..

Jill Charron wakes up and remembers nothing. Not her trip to Italy, not the horrific car crash she was in, and oh, that her best friend died. Suddenly she's trapped in this hospital whi
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Jill and Simone weren’t exactly what anyone would have pegged as being besties for the resties . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Somehow the two had managed to stay thick as thieves from 4th Grade all the way through high school and a six week study abroad program in Italy. When Jill wakes up in the hospital, those six weeks are missing – and Simone is dead. Now facing potential murder charges, Jill has to try and piece the puzzle back together in order to prove
Drew
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, thriller

3 1/2 stars. I really wanted to give this four stars. Because, oh boy, was this ever good… right up until the last ten pages.

With Malice is a hyped up YA thriller, and for good reason. It was extremely well written and didn't suffer from the cheesiness I usually find in this genre. The pacing was unbelievably fast and I flew through the pages. I was totally in love with it… right up until the end, whe
Heather 'Bookables'
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-mystery
This book was ok. I was expecting alot more. It def wasn't scary. I did enjoy the mystery aspect but found it to be boring and slow at times but still enjoyed it
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 2/11/16: 4.5 stars
WITH MALICE was a thrill a minute! I simply could not put it down and it was incredibly intriguing. I love books with unreliable narrators (the main character suffers from memory loss after the accident and doesn't know what happened) and it's so crazy to wonder what's real and what's not.
The set up is done so well and something that I loved is how clues and pieces are slowly revealed and leaked so the reader is still drawn in but on the hook.
The book defi
Gabby
"Don't you get it? Who we are is what comes out when shit goes bad. You can't tell anything about a person when things are great. If you want to really know someone, be there when everything goes to hell."
I was sent an ARC from the publishing company in exchange for an honest review. This in no way affects my opinion on the book. This book was a surprising YA thriller. I honestly wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. This book follows an eighteen year old girl named Jill who wa
Erin Dunn
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I won a copy of With Malice in a giveaway on Twitter. Thank you Bpoelle!

I have been DESPERATE to read With Malice since I first saw it a while back on Goodreads before it came out. I can't even express how ecstatic I was to win it in the Twitter giveaway.
#WooHoo!

With Malice is an EXCELLENT thriller and I loved everything about it! I devoured this one and I finished it in just a few hours. I love unreliable narrators and Jill was the perfect one for this
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life

I thought that this book was very well done. I kept trying to imagine what it must be like to be in Jill's place throughout the story. I really had no idea where the story was going at any given point in the book and I felt almost as desperate as Jill to learn the truth. This was a story that really kept my interest and I found myself thinking about it even when I was reading.

Imagine waking up in the hospital with no clue what has happened to
Theresa
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! I don't usually read much in this genre by I really enjoyed this. It was engaging and I was hooked the whole time, it kept me guessing!
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendships, memory, first-love, media, betrayal.

Wow. This was not at all what I expected.

Going in, I have to admit that I didn't even read the blurb. So I was supremely impressed by what I read and absolutely surprised. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

I loved how unreliable Jill was. I loved how she couldn't even trust herself, how nothing was certain, everything could be imagined. I loved how she changed between the pages as things started to come back.

And I love
Frank Phillips
Nov 20, 2017 rated it liked it
So, this is my third young adult novel read for the year, all three of these were in suspense/thriller genre and all three were equally eagerly anticipated and praised. Coincidentally, all three of them were 3 Star for me. I’m not sure if it’s the fact that adults have been more exposed and therefore need a little bit more to freak us out, but I really felt like this book could’ve been a little bit more twisted and it was missing a part, as I felt it was rushed at the ending. Obviously with the ...more
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Originally posted on Super Space Chick:

With Malice by Eileen Cook is a new young adult novel that falls into the thriller genre. I feel as though there’s a lack of good YA thrillers out there but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed With Malice. I have to think that the story is largely inspired by a real case that graced our televisions several years ago about two American girls who went abroad in Italy and while there, one of the girls was murdered and the other was accused (althou
  • The Leaving
  • The Safest Lies
  • Nothing Tastes as Good
  • American Girls
  • Take The Fall
Eileen Cook spent most of her teen years wishing she were someone else or somewhere else, which is great training for a writer.

You can read more about Eileen, her books, and the things that strike her as funny at www.eileencook.com. Eileen lives in Vancouver with her husband and two dogs and no longer wishes to be anyone or anywhere else.

“Why is it they say you always hurt the ones you love? Because you know exactly how to do it.” 19 likes
“we can still be good people, even if we don't say or do good things all the time.” 8 likes