Start by marking “The Royal Tutor, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Royal Tutor, Vol. 1

The Royal Tutor, Vol. 1

(The Royal Tutor #1)

Accepting the post of Royal Tutor at the court of the king of Grannzreich, Heine Wittgenstein is a little professor with a big job ahead! Each of the kingdom's four princes has a rather distinct personality. Does their diminutive new instructor have what it takes to lay down some learning? It's a comedy of educational proportions!
Published August 18th 2015 by Yen Press World (first published June 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Royal Tutor, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Royal Tutor, Vol. 1

Start your review of The Royal Tutor, Vol. 1
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: The Royal Tutor is a graphic novel written by Higasa Akai. It was translated by Amanda Haley and lettered by Abigail Blackman. It was published on 5/23/17 by Yen Press, an imprint of Yen Press LLC, paperback, 192 pages. The genres are comics, graphic novel, manga, young adult, and historical fiction. This is volume 1 to the Royal Tutor series and originally published as a digital from Japan.

My Experience: I started reading The Royal Tutor on 6/17/17 and finished it that same day. This is
Roxy D.C
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
😂😂, this manga is sooo funny!!! I LOVE IT😍
Laura D
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
An ok first volume though it didn't manage to sell its world or characters to me
CatNg ChoiEn
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I watched the anime first before reading the entire manga series till the current latest chapter. I'm writing this review in general because I'm lazy to write a review for each and every volume.

OK first off, the manga is better. Now hear me out first. I like the anime but manga is better (just my opinion). The story builds up better in the manga and the character developments are done at a better pacing. I learnt much more about the characters in a few panels of the manga than I did
Stephanie
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I havent laughed this hard over a manga in a longggg time ...more
Lexie
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-in-series
A fun, cute manga with pretty flower boys, a no-nonsense tutor (think Sebastian from Black Butler without all the demon baggage) and a hint of something deeper.

Prince Kai is my fav so far. I'm going to go ahead an assume this is NOT meant to be shounen-ai since Heine is an adult (of indeterminate age) and the princes are 14 (Licht), 15 (Leonie), 16 (Brunie) and 17 (Kai). Despite the fact Brunie & Leonie at least act yandere and tsundere towards Heine.

I'll keep on with it because I want to
Rhica
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-finds
I was really worried this story was going to be a about a small child being lusted after by a bunch of hot adults, but it is about a tiny adult trying to teach a bunch of teenage princes, who happen to be hot, how to be proper princes and get some book learnin'.
There are five prince is being groomed to be the king some day, just in case, and it is the tutor's job to gain their trust and teach them what they need to know. Each prince has a vastly different personality from the others, which makes
Arianna
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was actually way more adorable than I expected it to be.
Rebekah Maciborsky
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
So cute, and just the right amount of funny. Want to read the next one to see where this goes.
Kathleen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and thoughtful! The princes are real personalities.
Alisha Tarran
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay so, I literally just started watching the anime, but I really need to catch up because I'm behind. I was super excited to read this manga, and I wasn't at all disappointed! I really, really like the artwork for this manga, it's cute and a little bit decadent at points.

This first volume covers the first 2 episodes of the anime for sure, I haven't watched episode 3 yet but I don't think there's much if any of ep 3 in this volume! The manga actually fills in more than the anime, there's a
Kayt O'Bibliophile
Review of volumes 1-5
Review of volumes 6-10 here)

This is like an afternoon tea break. It's light, it's predictable, and it's thoroughly enjoyable because that's all I expected. There will be heavier stuff later, but for now, this has taken the tropes it wants and is doing an excellent job of wielding them.

The premise is simple: in an 1800s-Vienna-analogue, a baby-faced man (who looks about 12) is hired to be the tutor for 4 teenage princes who have chased away all their previous tutors within a
Karina
Melissa
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
The first volume of the The Royal Tutor by Higasa Akai introduces the new royal tutor Heine Wittgenstein. Heine has been hired by the king to teach his four youngest sons to become better heirs to the throne. But Heine has his work cut out for him--the princes don't want a new tutor.

This manga has an interesting premise. I honestly chose to read it for this and for the artwork on the front cover of the English edition. But it is hard to tell from this first volume whether or not I wish to read
Julia Stephenson
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely a good and satisfying Manga. The tutor is a tiny guy with a degree that gives him the qualifications to tutor for royal families. The Royal family he tutors has five sons, one of which is already qualified for the throne. Each boy had a unique personality. The first one is athletic. The second one is intelligent. The third one is social, cute and popular while the fourth one is more withdrawn, and distant. This caused conflict for other tutors in the past, but this tutor ...more
Selena
This is a weird one, and yet not weird as far as anime goes. The main character is an adult who looks like a child who is assigned the task of being the teacher of 4 sexy-anime-trope princes.

It's pretty much just one anime sexy guy trope joke after another in this book with a couple of "adult looks like a kid" jokes thrown in for good measure. It's mildly amusing for one volume, but it's not my thing and probably wouldn't keep amusing me long term.

If you liked Ouran High School Host Club but
Christine
Sometimes manga contains a bizarre kind of humor. This one certainly does. It's pretty clean but also has random sexy jokes thrown in...IDK not my cup of tea but it could be worse.

Sex? No but one of the princes asks how big his tutor's penis is since the tutor is such a small man.

Swearing/Profanity? Some--1 use of dammit; 1 dam, 1 shite

Violence? No

Magic? No

LGBTQ + characters? Not specified.

Could a conservative Christian school library include it?

Ehhhhh...the penis question probably crosses the
Gianina
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first volume is entirely just an introduction of the main characters and how they differ with each other.

I found this entertainingly adorable for a first volume. Heine has captured my attention in the very beginning as we are introduce to his small child like statue entering a The royal tutor. I cant stop smiling when he becomes a chibi the moment he gets criticize about his height . I love his calm demeanor with everything and how the princes reaction when their with him.

There is a Netflix
Aera
I bought this on a whim, and am I ever glad I did.

I absolutely love Heine, and I'm very curious about his background, especially after that last page. I like that the princes each have a distinct personality even if they are a bit over the top at times. Heine is definitely going to have his hands full, but appears to be more than capable. Chibi Heine is also one of the cutest things I've ever seen in my life.

The art is absolutely beautiful and the story so far has caught my attention. It seems
Forthright .
Four princes who routinely drive off the tutors their father hires meet their match with the arrival of Heine-sensei. Initial disdain quickly turns to burgeoning devotion (times four). An interesting blend of humor and drama, with political machinations whispering in the wings. My favorite part is probably Heine's commitment to understand his pupils so that he can tailor their lessons to both their strengths and their weaknesses. They're all being groomed for the throne.

Enjoyed the anime, but
Julia
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This manga was weird, and not in a good way. Why does the adult main character look like a creepy kid? Why do all the teenage princes look and act like adults? Why does this art make me so uncomfortable. Why is this set in the German (?) monarchy? Is this a parody? Really, some of the tropes were so over the top I thought it was on purpose. Why does this manga have a harem set up if noting is going to happen between any of the princes and the tutor? Why do people like this?
Marcy Thomas
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a funny manga full of chibi characters, very pretty princes, and personality to spare. It was giving me some Ouran High School Host Club vibes, but had so much more going for it. All the brothers had their own identities and traits, and theyre just so likeable and interesting Prince Kai is my favourite. Hes so precious. ...more
Nadina
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good first volume with quite a bit of potential. The characters were well established in this first volume and were given a good set up. The basic plot was also really nicely set out.
I liked the illustrations and found the layout to be simple and easy to follow along.
It definitely seems like the series has potential. I look forward to the next volume.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I thoroughly enjoy the anime (barring the anime only ending that was rushed and out of character) and am pleased that the tone in the manga is similar. A fun mix of chibi and srs bsns, with life lessons mixed in. If you like pretty boys being dramatic, flawed and complete endearing, this is probably perfect for you!
Brittany
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-8
The Royal Tutor is about a professor who is hired to teach four princes. Each prince requires a different approach and Professor Heine is able to teach them all. There are elements of humor and a few lewd comments which is why I placed this series in Grades 8+. I am recommending this series to be placed in our collection.
Larissa Disney
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This was a very entertaining read. I'm already falling in love with the characters. It has a nice sense of humor to it and the art is pleasing. In the future I'll be picking up the following volumes, but it's not a must-read for now.
Rosemary
It has gotten a lot of good reviews so if it sounds like something you'd enjoy I'd recommend giving it a try. There was nothing wrong with the story and the art was good. It simply didn't compel me enough to want to continue at this time while I have other manga more interesting.
Ellie Winter
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh My God!!! Heine is so cute
Want a manga about a chibi teacher that knows and cares ro teach their students
This Is It

First saw the anime and was blown away because he is short but his voice was low LOL

Love this manga
Kamyll
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read 8/12/18
5 Stars

My new favorite manga! I stumbled upon this at Kinokuniya, and I decided to read it. Im so pleasantly surprised by how much I loved this! The characters are so unique and funny. I cant wait to keep reading the next volumes.
NereB
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the anime so I read the manga because I wanted to know even more about the princes and the tutor. The characters are so cute, specially Heine (the tutor). It is funny and you'll like it a lot.
« previous 1 3 next »

• かくりよの宿飯 あやかしお宿に嫁入りします。 1 [Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Ayakashi Oyado ni Yomeiri shimasu. 1] (Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits #1)
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 地縛少年 花子くん 1 [Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun 1] (Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun, #1)
  • ショートケーキケーキ 1 (Shortcake Cake, #1)
  • Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter Vol. 1
  • 夢みる太陽 2 [Yume Miru Taiyou 2] (Dreaming Sun, #2)
  • 覆面系ノイズ 1 (Fukumenkei Noise, #1)
  • ひるなかの流星 1 [Hirunaka no Ryuusei 1]
  • The Demon Prince of Momochi House, Vol. 1
  • 夢みる太陽 1 [Yume Miru Taiyou 1] (Dreaming Sun, #1)
  • 水神の生贄 3 [Suijin no Hanayome 3] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #3)
  • 水神の生贄 1 [Suijin no Hanayome 1] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #1)
  • かくりよの宿飯 あやかしお宿に嫁入りします。 2 [Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi: Ayakashi Oyado ni Yomeiri shimasu. 2] (Kakuriyo: Bed & Breakfast for Spirits, #2)
  • 水神の生贄 2 [Suijin no Hanayome 2] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #2)
  • Les Enfants de la Baleine, Tome 1 (Les enfants de la Baleine, #1)
  • Idol Dreams, Vol. 1 (31☆Ai Dream, #1)
  • Magus of the Library, Vol. 1
  • 水神の生贄 4 [Suijin no Hanayome 4] (The Water Dragon's Bride, #4)

The Royal Tutor (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Royal Tutor, Vol. 2